Different Way of Doing Adpositions - help request

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
Oil In My Lamp
rupestrian
rupestrian

Different Way of Doing Adpositions - help request

Post by Oil In My Lamp » 09 Jul 2019 21:02

Hello! I would like some advice/information if anyone feels so inclined to offer it.

Basically, I am looking for a different way to show where a subject is. In my language, almost everything is a verb or can be. I do not want to create an 'adposition' part of speech. Basically, positional words are instead stative or dynamic verbs, depending on if they show movement or not. The problem is that this creates a lot of verbs (with their objects) and makes a sentence too full/cluttered.

Is my explanation understandable? I believe I know about adpositions (pre-, post-, in-, circum-) and showing direction through inflection, but I figure there must be more ways to show position and relation.

Thank you for any help!
Give me oil in my lamp, I pray.

cedh
MVP
MVP

Re: Different Way of Doing Adpositions - help request

Post by cedh » 10 Jul 2019 14:29

You might want to look into serial verb constructions; specifically, at the way some languages use serialized "coverbs" in order to express positional and directional meanings. Two good introductions are "The serial verb construction: Comparative concept and cross-linguistic generalizations" by Martin Haspelmath (2015) and "Serial verb constructions in typological perspective" by Alexandra Aikhenvald (2006; the rest of the book it's in is also great, consisting of language-specific case studies). You can find pdfs of both if you google for "serial verb constructions type:pdf" plus the name of the respective author.

Oil In My Lamp
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Oil In My Lamp » 12 Jul 2019 16:10

@sedh, thank you for your reply. Serial verb construction is something that I am trying to work into my language. But, I definitely need to know more about it. Thank you for your reading recommendations. I appreciate it.
Give me oil in my lamp, I pray.

Mándinrùh
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Mándinrùh » 14 Jul 2019 19:24

Insofar as I understand it, serial verbs let you say things like "John take knife cut bread" in order to say "John cut the bread with the knife." I don't know that this solves your problem though. How much do your verbs inflect? The simplest approach (taken by languages like English) is to discern the role of a word in a sentence through syntax. Then there are the prototypical head-marking (polypersonal agreement) and dependent-marking (case) solutions.

If you're trying to create a normal language (i.e. not Lojban or Ithkuil), some words are going to be used like nouns, no matter what you call them, so you can look to the same sorts of solutions generally available. In fact, it may be helpful to think of nouns, verbs, &c. as ways words are used, instead of as types of words. It just happens that in Western European natlangs, types of words correspond pretty well to uses of words (and where they don't, we get things like interjections, conjunctions, and everyone's favorite "particles" [:S]).

Edit: Replaced markdown syntax with BBCode syntax.
Creator of Image Redentran
Creator of Image Bwángxùd
Creator of Image Atili
My website | My blog

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore » 14 Jul 2019 20:10

tlHiNgaan (if i recall correctly) uses nouns for almost all of the purposes English etc use adpositions for.