Advice on behemoth vowel system

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
Aelwyn
rupestrian
rupestrian

Advice on behemoth vowel system

Post by Aelwyn » 10 Jan 2014 18:49

Häy to all from an Italian conlanger who's just come out, so to speak. I've been working on my personal conlang nawrean on and off since I was about 16 and abandoned it a couple of years ago (I'm now 28). I'm now thinking of getting to it again. Its vowel system had grown bloody colossal, dwarfing any natlang, I suspect. This arose from a disgraceful combination of the fact that I wanted any possible diacritic ever conceived (and was prepared to introduce a sound just to have it) and the fact that my mouth seems to allow me to utter quite exotic sounds with realtive ease.

With quite a lot of pain I've been able to trim my phonology to comprise 'only' 14 distinct vowel sounds:

i y -- -- u
ɪ -- -- ʊ
e -- -- o
-- ə --
ɛ œ -- -- ɔ
æ -- --
a -- -- ɒ

ɛ goes to ə when unstressed (to e in final position), ɔ goes to o when unstressed and the other sounds can exist in any position.

I say with pain because I had grown used to some of the ditched sounds. The language has short, mostly mono-disyllabic words and could be at first glance similar to a germanic language, with no vowel harmony, no tones, no pitch accent and since now no vowel length. The question is: how unnatural is such a rich system? How could I trim it or polish it, while still keeping on the very high end of the possible natural number of vowel sounds (think danish, swedish)?

PS: My phonological dexterity in fact has caused me some other trouble. When I talk to German or Spanish people they assume I am quite fluent in their language and they soon overload my linguistical capability. It seems that I pronounce the couple dozens words I know really, really well! [:P]
Së húk 'zyed mih z' asyl luy sem äsyd baril.
/se hʊk zjɛd mih 'zasɪl luj sə'mæsɪd 'baril/
You'll catch more flies with a spoonful of honey than with a barrel of vinegar.

Ambrisio
greek
greek

Re: Advice on behemoth vowel system

Post by Ambrisio » 10 Jan 2014 21:51

14's not bad. It's just one more than Dutch.

Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing » 11 Jan 2014 11:34

Ambrisio wrote:14's not bad. It's just one more than Dutch.
IIRC, dutch vowels also differ in length.

Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus » 11 Jan 2014 14:37

Yeah, that's not an unusually large vowel inventory.

Well, it is unusually large compared to the world average, but it's not remarkably unusually large. I mean, I speak English, and I've got at minimum of 12 monophthongs. I'd say probably 14 (counting schwa, and counting the moor-vowel, which I sometimes use and sometimes don't). Then on top of that I've got two triphthongs that are increasingly realised as monophthongs and will end up that way (though I think they'll merge into one along the way), plus one diphthongs that's often realised as a monophthong, and two diphthongs that are monophthongs in other dialects. So I probably have as many vowels as your language, and I could meet someone with 19 monophthongs and not instantly recognise them as odd-speaking. With a whole bunch more diphthongs still to spare.

The only thing I'd say is that it's a bit unusual to have the rounded version of /E/, particularly when there isn't the rounded version of /e/. But while that's a little remarkable, it's not impossibly so.

Ambrisio
greek
greek

Post by Ambrisio » 14 Jan 2014 08:35

Allophony to the rescue! Just make it /œ~ø/ <ö>. Same with ü.

Valosken
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Valosken » 14 Jan 2014 21:21

This isn't unusually large. It seems pretty standard to me really. I like it.
First, I learned English.
Dann lernte ich Deutsch.
Y ahora aprendo Español.

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 17 Jan 2014 17:02

Show us the system you had going before you trimmed it down! :mrgreen:

Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx » 17 Jan 2014 19:28

Fourteen vowels? It's very unusual for a language to have more than ten vowel qualities and fourteen seems to be the upper limit.
Yes, Northwestern Europe seems to be abundant in shitload-o-vowels natlangs, but it seems to be a geographically and historically motivated oddity.

And, despite what the other folks say, it is an unusually large system, just maybe not for a conlang.
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.

Esmelthien
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Esmelthien » 18 Jan 2014 00:51

Xing wrote:
Ambrisio wrote:14's not bad. It's just one more than Dutch.
IIRC, dutch vowels also differ in length.
Only allophonically and in loanwords.

Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus » 18 Jan 2014 14:14

Ear of the Sphinx wrote:Fourteen vowels? It's very unusual for a language to have more than ten vowel qualities and fourteen seems to be the upper limit.
Yes, Northwestern Europe seems to be abundant in shitload-o-vowels natlangs, but it seems to be a geographically and historically motivated oddity.

And, despite what the other folks say, it is an unusually large system, just maybe not for a conlang.
Depends what you mean by 'unusual'.
'Outside statistical averages', certainly.
'Remarkably divergent from normal trends', certainly not. Nobody sees a 14 vowel language and goes "wow, that's weird". They may say "that's a little distinctive, it reminds me of Germanic".

Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx » 18 Jan 2014 14:48

By ‘unusual’ I mean ‘only a few natlangs use 14 or more vowel qualities and all of them are Germanic’.
'Remarkably divergent from normal trends', certainly not. Nobody sees a 14 vowel language and goes "wow, that's weird".
How's that? Isn't it the same as seeing a language with 20+ case endings, four or more number categories, or no labial consonants?
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.

Avo
roman
roman

Post by Avo » 19 Jan 2014 14:40

Ear of the Sphinx wrote:
By ‘unusual’ I mean ‘only a few natlangs use 14 or more vowel qualities ...
Yes
Ear of the Sphinx wrote:... and all of them are Germanic’.
No.

But I generally agree with you here.

Nortaneous
greek
greek

Post by Nortaneous » 20 Jan 2014 04:50

Kensiu has 15 vowel qualities, though one is a diphthong.

That said, this looks Germanic -- between the apparent tense-lax distinction (i/ɪ etc.) and the presence of front rounded vowels + lack of back/central unrounded vowels besides schwa. That's not a point against it, but it's something to be aware of. I don't think it's *unrealistic* -- I wouldn't be surprised to see that exact vowel system in a dialect of German -- but if you want to make it less Germanic, read up on non-European languages with large vowel systems: Kensiu, Rotuman, Khmer, Vietnamese, Tangut... this paper is relevant if you're interested in diachronics, and there's also Khanty, though I don't know anything about that beyond what's in the post.

Aelwyn
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Aelwyn » 20 Jan 2014 15:10

Thank you all for the interesting input. In the end, I have more or less decided to move /œ/ to /ə/ and /y/ to /ɨ/, which somehow sounds more 'natural' or 'easy' to my ear. It might well not be so. The tense/lax distinction is mantained, but with lengthening of the lax vowel, so it becomes maybe even more germanic in this respect. This is not a problem, I want to make a conlang that suits my taste, my goal isn't to impress anybody. It now looks more or less like Welsh with two open vowels (/æ/ added).

ɪ i: -- ɨ ɨ: -- ʊ u:
ɛ e: -- ə ə: -- ɔ o:
æ æ: -- a ɒ:

/ɔ/-/o/ and /ɛ/-/e/ are indistinguishable if unaccented, possibly going to /o̞/ and /e̞/ like in my native Italian.

Written in accented position: < i\ei í - y\ie ý - w ú - e\ai é - u eu - o\au ó\aw - æ ǽ - a á >. In unaccented position, <u> is /ʊ/ and <e> is /ə/ (but <ai> is still /e̞/). Orthography is complex all over, but still not nonsensical as in English! [xP]

The consonants are not that usual and still quite European: /m, n-ŋ, p, b, t, d, k, g, s, z, ʃ, ʒ, f, v, θ, ð, ç, x (χ possibly in some dialect), ɾ, tʃ, dʒ/ plus /ɣ, ɸ, β/ lost to /x, f, v/ apart from some more conservative dialects.
Së húk 'zyed mih z' asyl luy sem äsyd baril.
/se hʊk zjɛd mih 'zasɪl luj sə'mæsɪd 'baril/
You'll catch more flies with a spoonful of honey than with a barrel of vinegar.

Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx » 20 Jan 2014 17:20

It's so much better now.

Solarius
roman
roman

Post by Solarius » 26 Jan 2014 06:45

Yeah, wacky huge vowel systems are not just a Germanic thing- think of French! Of course, there are plenty out of Europe too- I believe SE Asia is another concentration, as are some parts of Melanesia.
Check out Ussaria!