How did you learn the IPA?

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
Avis Noctis
rupestrian
rupestrian

How did you learn the IPA?

Post by Avis Noctis » 05 Jun 2016 20:56

I haven't been able to find anything useful yet.
"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness"
-Aristotle

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Re: How did you learn the IPA?

Post by qwed117 » 05 Jun 2016 21:01

Avis Noctis wrote:I haven't been able to find anything useful yet.
You memorize it through usage. There's no "easy" way out of it. My suggestion is to use the romanization thread to your advantage, and everytime you come across a phone you don't understand, to look it up in Wikipedia.
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » 05 Jun 2016 21:30

Some links 1 2.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]

idov
sinic
sinic

Post by idov » 05 Jun 2016 23:43

If I'm not mistaken, the sub-reddit really likes this cool thing:
http://www.internationalphoneticalphabe ... th-sounds/

As for me, it was mostly wikipedia. A lot of it, like months.
The accusative of <emo> is <eminem>. :lat:

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 06 Jun 2016 11:38

The way I came about learning IPA was basically in three stages:

1) Passive exposure in some forward-thinking dictionaries, foreign language phrasebooks, and one French textbook in particular, that provided phonetic transcriptions of vocab/sentences in IPA.
(mebbe 1980s, defs 1990s)

2) Visible Speech by Alexander Graham Bell. The back of the book had a posthumously-added chart comparing Visible Speech with IPA and some other 19th~early 20th century pre-proto-XSAMPA system of transcription. I have a link to this chart somewheres in the Resources Forumpage.

And there were other exposures as I gamboled about on the Paleo-Internet. (1990s-2000)

3) I really had to come to grips with it in Grad School. I took many courses in Linguistics, and I had to use it regularly in classes of Fonetica, Fonología Española, Morfología Española, Dialectología Española, Second Language Acquisition, etc. This period was from 2000-2006, so it's been ten years (!).

4) Of course, I regularly use IPA in my transcriptions and glosses. :roll: [:$] [:x] [¬.¬] [>_<]

Honestly, though, it's a process where I'm still learning, remembering and unforgetting, as it were.

Khemehekis
runic
runic

Post by Khemehekis » 07 Jun 2016 07:15

I learned IPA as a child from reading the pronunciations in my parents' foreign-language eictionaries. The bizarre conventions misled me for a while, though. For instance, the word "mark" was often given as /mɑːk/. This had me thinking that /ː/ marked the R after an R-controlled vowel. In General American, the word would be /mɑɹk/.

On that note, I later learned that using /r/ for /ɹ/ was not strictly correct.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 60,137 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!

clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » 16 Jun 2016 02:39

I think my family had an English-language dictionary with IPA or something similar to it when I was young, and I learned the basics from there. Then it's just a matter of adding a few things at a time. There are still some letters and diacritics I can't quite recall, like ⱱ or a̽, but you can look that kind of thing up when you come across it. It also gets easier when you notice patterns, like how small caps are almost all velar or uvular or thereabouts, or that retroflex letters and palatal letters mostly all share shapes characteristic of those articulation points.

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 16 Jun 2016 03:57

clawgrip wrote:I think my family had an English-language dictionary with IPA or something similar to it when I was young, and I learned the basics from there. Then it's just a matter of adding a few things at a time. There are still some letters and diacritics I can't quite recall, like ⱱ or a̽, but you can look that kind of thing up when you come across it. It also gets easier when you notice patterns, like how small caps are almost all velar or uvular or thereabouts, or that retroflex letters and palatal letters mostly all share shapes characteristic of those articulation points.
Just a guess, but v-hook methinks to be a labial flap (most likely labiodental) and a-overhanging x is probably anot unrounded mid-low central vowel (vocalic counterpart to xsampa R)
Spoiler:

Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil » 16 Jun 2016 18:29

I was made aware of the functions of the IPA in my intro to linguistics course, and since I had to learn it for that course, I just wrote my notes in it- Took me about three days, as is usually the amount of time it takes for me to learn an alphabet. Granted I wrote in two different languages just so I could use more of the phonemes that don't occur in English.

Also a helpful thing is "written doodling", where you just write random thoughts down. I do that a
lot, so the practice made me learn faster.

alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » 16 Jun 2016 19:22

I also learned about the IPA in an intro to linguistics class. From there, it's mostly just been exposure through conlangs and natlang grammars. Much like clawgrip, I basically started with a core of really common symbols, and have been expanding the ones I'm familiar with since. I don't know most of the diacritics off hand, but I mostly have the base symbols down.

I'm not great with actually transcribing things in the IPA, I just haven't done very much of it, but I can read it easily. Writing it without a reference is more difficult than reading it, of course; it's easier to recognize a symbol than draw it myself.

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 16 Jun 2016 19:37

I learned some IPA symbols (those for English) at school when I was 11, and I had exposure to the IPA when I started conlanging.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 17 Jun 2016 19:43

I'm in high school and haven't taken any linguistics classes yet, but I learned IPA from Wikipedia and from an Intro to Phonetics book I bought at a used bookstore. I pride myself on being able to pronounce many of the sounds in the chart. Listening to the examples and reading the descriptions of the sounds on Wikipedia helped me with that, for sure.

Curlyjimsam
sinic
sinic

Post by Curlyjimsam » 17 Jun 2016 20:35

Mostly just by using it a lot and spending inordinate amounts of time on conlanging forums ...

(Though back then using Unicode on the Internet created all sorts of problems, so people tended to use X-SAMPA instead. Have new conlangers today even heard of that? I don't remember ever really learning all that much X-SAMPA, just spending a lot of time looking up the symbols on a chart with both X-SAMPA and IPA on it. And this was back when most standard fonts didn't come with IPA characters included, so you had to use special fonts instead. Come to think of it - how exactly did I learn the IPA, given these obstacles?)
Twitter: @jsbaker750

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 17 Jun 2016 21:12

Curlyjimsam wrote:Mostly just by using it a lot and spending inordinate amounts of time on conlanging forums ...

(Though back then using Unicode on the Internet created all sorts of problems, so people tended to use X-SAMPA instead. Have new conlangers today even heard of that? I don't remember ever really learning all that much X-SAMPA, just spending a lot of time looking up the symbols on a chart with both X-SAMPA and IPA on it. And this was back when most standard fonts didn't come with IPA characters included, so you had to use special fonts instead. Come to think of it - how exactly did I learn the IPA, given these obstacles?)
I'm definitely one of the newer folk, and I assure you, X-SAMPA is still used. I think my translations of Fucha Inlish use it.
Edit: They do
Spoiler:

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 17 Jun 2016 21:43

Curlyjimsam wrote:Have new conlangers today even heard of that? I don't remember ever really learning all that much X-SAMPA, just spending a lot of time looking up the symbols on a chart with both X-SAMPA and IPA on it.
I sometimes use X-SAMPA, mixed with some IPA symbols if I can access them on my keyboard (particularily the harder ones).
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 17 Jun 2016 23:42

qwed117 wrote:
Avis Noctis wrote:I haven't been able to find anything useful yet.
You memorize it through usage.
This is what I've done.

I still have to look up both common (but not frequently used by me) and uncommon symbols on a regular basis so that I know for sure I have it right in my head. There's no reason to feel like you need to know every symbol by heart.

Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil » 18 Jun 2016 00:42

I have never heard of it but I study Semitic philology so I may be using it without knowing. What is X-SAMPA?

Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir » 18 Jun 2016 01:24

Isfendil wrote:I have never heard of it but I study Semitic philology so I may be using it without knowing. What is X-SAMPA?
as I understand it, when <sh> is instead of [ʃ].

X-Sampa's the version I learned when I first joined the conlanging forums.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 18 Jun 2016 03:52

X-SAMPA is like the poor man's IPA [:P]