How did you learn the IPA?

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Re: How did you learn the IPA?

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 18 Jun 2016 03:45

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:X-SAMPA is like the poor man's IPA [:P]
More like a way to work with IPA when technology was such that using anything outside of standard ASCII characters was a giant pain, or straight up impossible.

Fanael
greek
greek

Post by Fanael » 18 Jun 2016 19:44

More like a reasonable, common input method for IPA, sometimes used in its raw form due to laziness and/or technological limitations.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 22 Jun 2016 01:56

I was always interested in the phake phonetic transcriptions they used on those alphabet cards pinned above the blackboard (yep, we actually had black blackboards), and I'd sometimes write sentences and words using the transcription rather than the ordinary spelling we were supposed to be doing. (Wouldn't it have been just so cool if English has wee macrons and accent marks on our words!!)

I don't know how I came to learn about the IPA, though I'm sure twas on Conlang, back when they were all hot about which ASCII transcription system was best to use, and who had good comparative charts of all the systems.

Anyway, I learned it by actually joining the IPA and getting the CD with sound samples. Was a member for quite some time and always found their journals interesting to read. Still have the CD. Awesome British renditions of the sounds in male and female voices. Brilliant! Some of the recordings on WP just suck.

I never liked making absolute IPA transcriptions, and still balk at that odious labour, so don't often make much occasion to use it. Prefer a rather more nebulous romanisation. I will peruse the recordings library when meditating on which particular sound seems closest to the one I'm hearing, though. So at least I can make a transcription if need be.

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera