What is the Spezia-Rimini line?

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
Post Reply
User avatar
Isfendil
greek
greek
Posts: 708
Joined: 19 Feb 2016 03:47

What is the Spezia-Rimini line?

Post by Isfendil » 04 Sep 2016 22:58

What is the Spezia-Rimini line- or rather, what does it mean and how are languages on each side of the line fundamentally different from each other? I know what it is, I suppose.
And, how do I completely ignore it without making a terrible roman tongue?

User avatar
Egerius
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2412
Joined: 12 Sep 2013 20:29
Location: Not Rodentèrra
Contact:

Re: What is the Spezia-Rimini line?

Post by Egerius » 04 Sep 2016 23:13

The La Spezia-Rimini line is not to be ignored. East of this line, all Romance languages form their plurals by vowel change, because the final -s was dropped very early. West of this line, plurals were formed by adding an -s, as it wasn't dropped there until much later.

If you want to ‘completely ignore’ it, maybe you should take a look at Sardinian, which branched off so early that the La Spezia-Rimini line didn't exist yet.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

User avatar
Isfendil
greek
greek
Posts: 708
Joined: 19 Feb 2016 03:47

Re: What is the Spezia-Rimini line?

Post by Isfendil » 05 Sep 2016 00:12

Egerius wrote:The La Spezia-Rimini line is not to be ignored. East of this line, all Romance languages form their plurals by vowel change, because the final -s was dropped very early. West of this line, plurals were formed by adding an -s, as it wasn't dropped there until much later.

If you want to ‘completely ignore’ it, maybe you should take a look at Sardinian, which branched off so early that the La Spezia-Rimini line didn't exist yet.
Is that all? And also, if Sardinian is not like the others, what does it do for its own plurals?

User avatar
Avo
light
light
Posts: 1011
Joined: 20 Aug 2010 02:04
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: What is the Spezia-Rimini line?

Post by Avo » 05 Sep 2016 04:43

Isfendil wrote:
Egerius wrote:The La Spezia-Rimini line is not to be ignored. East of this line, all Romance languages form their plurals by vowel change, because the final -s was dropped very early. West of this line, plurals were formed by adding an -s, as it wasn't dropped there until much later.

If you want to ‘completely ignore’ it, maybe you should take a look at Sardinian, which branched off so early that the La Spezia-Rimini line didn't exist yet.
Is that all? And also, if Sardinian is not like the others, what does it do for its own plurals?
With -s, like Western Romance. It doesn't share a lot of isoglosses with either West or East Romance though, that's why it is its own branch.

User avatar
Isfendil
greek
greek
Posts: 708
Joined: 19 Feb 2016 03:47

Re: What is the Spezia-Rimini line?

Post by Isfendil » 05 Sep 2016 05:27

Avo wrote:
Isfendil wrote:
Egerius wrote:The La Spezia-Rimini line is not to be ignored. East of this line, all Romance languages form their plurals by vowel change, because the final -s was dropped very early. West of this line, plurals were formed by adding an -s, as it wasn't dropped there until much later.

If you want to ‘completely ignore’ it, maybe you should take a look at Sardinian, which branched off so early that the La Spezia-Rimini line didn't exist yet.
Is that all? And also, if Sardinian is not like the others, what does it do for its own plurals?
With -s, like Western Romance. It doesn't share a lot of isoglosses with either West or East Romance though, that's why it is its own branch.
So then what are these isogloss differences?

User avatar
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4406
Joined: 20 Nov 2014 02:27

Re: What is the Spezia-Rimini line?

Post by qwed117 » 05 Sep 2016 13:08

I was writing a long post about the isogloss differences, but then my computer overheated and I lost everything. To summarize what I wrote: You really shouldn't worry about it, the Romance family is determined by much more than a couple of lines. Just do what you like. (That being said, do research on Romance languages. Wikipedia is a good start)
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

User avatar
Isfendil
greek
greek
Posts: 708
Joined: 19 Feb 2016 03:47

Re: What is the Spezia-Rimini line?

Post by Isfendil » 05 Sep 2016 14:57

qwed117 wrote:I was writing a long post about the isogloss differences, but then my computer overheated and I lost everything. To summarize what I wrote: You really shouldn't worry about it, the Romance family is determined by much more than a couple of lines. Just do what you like. (That being said, do research on Romance languages. Wikipedia is a good start)
Aaaiii that sucks! For the both of us. Sorry about that! At any rate, thank you. I will do as I please and research.

Post Reply