What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Ahzoh » 18 Jun 2019 22:44

Vrkhazhian now has a new syntactic order for ditransitive verbs that is dependent on the presence of adverbs and other oblique arguments:

S O₁ V O₂ (no adverbs)
S O₁ O₂ V X (adverbs)

My applicative voice is now a dedicated prefix tar- (which assimilates in MOA with other alveolars):

Code: Select all

ʾama tu-śim-a nu-tad-dužž sa-šipəw šadik.
S       O₁           V       O₂
I cut the tree with my axe.

ʾama tu-śim-a nu-tad-dužž sa-wah šadik.
S       O₁           V       O₂
I made my son cut the tree.

ʾama tu-śim-a nu-dužž sa-wah šadik.
S       O₁       V       X
I cut the tree with my son (comitative).
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 19 Jun 2019 15:17

Sōkoan has now been given an endonym befitting the latest incarnation of its phonology:

Ssŏŏgŏwa

I’m a bit taken with it, to be honest. :mrgreen:

Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » 19 Jun 2019 16:32

It'll always be "snowcone" to me :P
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter

holbuzvala
sinic
sinic

Post by holbuzvala » 19 Jun 2019 19:08

What does 'ssǒǒgǒwa' mean, then?

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 26 Jun 2019 17:38

Noice, guys!

:mrgreen:

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 27 Jun 2019 02:30

holbuzvala wrote:
19 Jun 2019 19:08
What does 'ssǒǒgǒwa' mean, then?
“Snowcone”, clearly.

Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » 28 Jun 2019 06:39

Got depressed, deleted my litRPG project

bye
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 30 Jun 2019 08:09

Had new ideas for Ch’eweyõw̌e. Coming soon!

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore » 30 Jun 2019 15:39

My conlang Arpien now has the beginnings of a lexicon/vocabulary!
One entire word!
It’s
ataivsh which means world

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 30 Jun 2019 18:19

eldin raigmore wrote:
30 Jun 2019 15:39
My conlang Arpien now has the beginnings of a lexicon/vocabulary!
One entire word!
It’s
ataivsh which means world
Now, that ìs an accomplishment indeed! After all this time, I still don't have a word for The World in any of its languages. [:|]

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

Tuyono
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Tuyono » 30 Jun 2019 19:58

DesEsseintes wrote:
30 Jun 2019 08:09
Had new ideas for Ch’eweyõw̌e. Coming soon!
Yay!

I didn't create something new but I updated the Źilaa Ruńu thread. This took way longer than I thought it would! My notes are a mess but explaining things here helps me clarify them.

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 30 Jun 2019 20:02

I'm kind of stuck in a rut. I'm not sure if I want to continue with Lihmelinyan for now or branch out into a new (but closely related) conlang for the first time in my life. I've written down a lot of ideas for the new conlang, but I'm not sure if once I really get started on it, that I'll just miss the old one. [:S]

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 01 Jul 2019 00:59

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
30 Jun 2019 20:02
I'm kind of stuck in a rut. I'm not sure if I want to continue with Lihmelinyan for now or branch out into a new (but closely related) conlang for the first time in my life. I've written down a lot of ideas for the new conlang, but I'm not sure if once I really get started on it, that I'll just miss the old one. [:S]
If you start to miss your first language, it will still be there for you to go back to if you'd like. I'd personally encourage you to give "branching out" a try, but of course the decision is 100% yours in the end.

Also, has your avatar/profile picture changed?

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 01 Jul 2019 03:01

shimobaatar wrote:
01 Jul 2019 00:59
If you start to miss your first language, it will still be there for you to go back to if you'd like. I'd personally encourage you to give "branching out" a try, but of course the decision is 100% yours in the end.

Also, has your avatar/profile picture changed?
Thanks--I think I'm with you. "Braching out" would be fun because it will give me a chance to explore features that Lihmelinyan doesn't have (while still remaining in the sphere of IE-based conlanging. I doubt I'll ever move too far out of that sphere since IE is my primary linguistic interest, but I can't say for sure what the future will hold).

Yep. Got a new one. It's the same character, just older. [:)]

spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick » 10 Jul 2019 00:10

Started work on a proto-language today and already have over a hundred words. Breaking out of my comfort zone in a couple ways with this.

First, I almost never explicitly do proto-languages. I tried one but I didn’t work very well. I normally just put together a final language from scratch and call it good.

Second, I decided to use a word generator to compile a list of possible proto-words. I have never done this before but I’m finding it helps not just with speed but also with creative block.

The plan is to add as little morphology as possible and evolve the grammatical morphology.

bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq » 11 Jul 2019 03:07

I've been rather busy as of late, so conlanging was put on hold for a little bit. Now that I have a little more time, I've been contemplating a vowel diacritic system for my abjad, and I am still working on an acceptable form. Here is a snapshot of what I have thus far. Dhakhsh is written in vertical columns from top to bottom and right to left. The final sentence on the left is written "bare bones" and would be written by an educated scribe.

https://lortho.conlang.org

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 11 Jul 2019 05:23

bbbourq wrote:
11 Jul 2019 03:07
I've been rather busy as of late, so conlanging was put on hold for a little bit. Now that I have a little more time, I've been contemplating a vowel diacritic system for my abjad, and I am still working on an acceptable form. Here is a snapshot of what I have thus far. Dhakhsh is written in vertical columns from top to bottom and right to left. The final sentence on the left is written "bare bones" and would be written by an educated scribe.
What does the last symbol in lines 1, 3, & 4 mean --- the crying eye? And why is it absent from line 2?

If you're after opinions, I like the aesthetic of line 2 best; and the crying eye of line 1 better than that of 3 & 4. That said, I can see, perhaps, in the others some kind of local or scribal-traditional variant forms going on...

And, as always: stunningly beautiful calligraphic work!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq » 11 Jul 2019 23:59

elemtilas wrote:
11 Jul 2019 05:23

What does the last symbol in lines 1, 3, & 4 mean --- the crying eye? And why is it absent from line 2?

If you're after opinions, I like the aesthetic of line 2 best; and the crying eye of line 1 better than that of 3 & 4. That said, I can see, perhaps, in the others some kind of local or scribal-traditional variant forms going on...

And, as always: stunningly beautiful calligraphic work!
The Crying Eye, as you call it, is the punctuation which denotes the end of text. I took the inspiration from Tibetan which uses a similar symbol () to denote the beginning of text. I didn't include it on the second sentence simply because I forgot to do so.

I appreciate that you took the time to comment on them. The punctuation used on Line 1 was actually my first time using it—I have been using the other version since day 1 of the script's inception. I agree with your assessment about Line 2. I will continue to refine this version and hopefully come up with a system that satisfies my taste. Thank you!
https://lortho.conlang.org

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain

Nortaneous
greek
greek

Post by Nortaneous » 12 Jul 2019 17:45

cognates

miʔ - miʔ
ɒʔ - eʔ
pʰɯm - pkæ̤m
tʰɯj - dak
ɯj - ak
ɓɯj - pik
tʰwil - duːl
sɒʔ - ɲsaʔ
ʄim - kĩːm
jɤh - ɲãn
ɓɒ - peː
ɗɯɲ - tiŋ
ɗɤp - tba
lɯm - tma̤
lɯh - ta̤

tʰɒ - nẽː
tʰæn - nŋ̊æ̤n
tʰæ - nẽw
tʰok - tɓa̤w
ɠɤɬ - pɲiː
ɠwi - muwa̤
mɒl - mɨ̃n̥
ʄwɤ - mˀŋna̤
ɬæh - ɲkiː
jɯ - akæw
ɠɒŋ - ʔŋˀæ
ɓjɤ - lmˀɔ̃
ŋɒh - lkaj
ɬɯhæh - ɲkki
jwɤj - maɲa
hɯlæl - ɲklkɗaw
ⁿdol - hn̥n̥a̤

yangfiretiger121
sinic
sinic

Post by yangfiretiger121 » 13 Jul 2019 12:05

Over the past few days. I've figured out Sjiangfa's pluralization and terminology for names. I prefer [ᵚ] to differentiate velarization from pharyngealization [ˁ], uvularization [q], and voiced velar fricative release [ˠ].

Pluralization (using "phoenix")
fax /m̪̊ɒ̥ɴ/ [m̪̊ɒ̥ŋ̊] (sg.) → afax /ɒ̥ˈm̪̊ɒ̥ɴ/ [ɒ̥ˈm̪̊ɒ̥ŋ̊] (dual; duplicate of first vowel-sg.) → afaxsai /ɒ̥.m̪̊ɒ̥ɴˈsɒ̥.ɨ̥/ [ɒ̥.m̪̊ɒ̥ŋ̊ˈsɒ̥.ɨ̥] (pl.; dual-sai)

Name-related
faqi [ˈm̪̊ɒ̥.q͡ʡɨ̥]: Emperor's "regnal name"
kpaxqa [ˈʘɒ̥ç̃.q͡ʡʲɒ̥]: A snake biting its own tail with the character for spider above it (added 14/07/19)
saixki [sɒ̥ˈɨ̥m̪̊.kᶹɨ̥]: The Emperor’s “spider name” (added 14/07/19)
tpaxsi [t͡pɒ̥ˈʘ̃ᵊ.sʷɨ̥]: Ribbon enclosing the Emperor’s “public name” (added 14/07/19)
fatja [ˈm̪̊ɒ̥.ʨɒ̥]: Emperor's "throne name", original "regnal name", and first part of their "spider name"
mkéísji [ʘ̃ə̥ːˈɨ̥ː.ʃ͡xɨ̥]: Emperor's "divine connection" and second part of "spider name"
hex iqixsai [p͡ʔə̥m̪̊ ɨ̥.q͡ʡɨ̥ŋ̊ˈsᵚɒ̥.ɨ̥] : A person's name
mkíqix [ʘ̃ɨ̥ːˈq͡ʡɨ̥ŋ̊]: Roman praenomen-equivalent
éx [ə̥ːn̥͡m]: Matrilineal Roman gens-equivalent and third in Emperor's "spider name" but after ordinal
axqix [ɒ̥n̥͡mˈq͡ʡɨ̥ŋ̊]: Roman cognomen-equivalent; appears in Emperor's tpaxsi
Alien conlangs (Font may be needed for Vai symbols)