What attributes do we connect to 'love':
- sexual desire
- want to own the other
- want to found a family
- want to protect
- want to share your life
- considering the other absolutely perfect
?

Is there a more or less similar concept of 'love' in your conlangs or are the attributes connected to several different verbs?

Sangfroidish
roman
roman

Re: Notion of "love" in your conlangs?

Post by Sangfroidish » 19 Dec 2013 22:50

Vorynthel currently has different verbs for five different flavours of "love":
  • välar - to love sb. romantically, to be in love with sb.; "I väla my wife/husband/significant other".
  • eilnyar - to love sb. affectionately or platonically, as one would a relative or close friend; "I eilnya you, mum/dad/bro"
  • rähsur - to like sth. very strongly, to be very partial to sth.; "I rähsu dogs/cake/skiing"
  • frihör - to be passionate about, devoted to sth. (e.g. a job, hobby, interest); to be devoted to sb.; "I frihö archaeology/conlanging/whichever monarch I happen to be a subject of"
  • hrobancyr - to lust for sb., to desire sb. sexually; "I hrobancy that attractive woman yonder/llamas"

Coming eventually: words for "to court sb./be seeing sb.", "to be interested in sb. romantically/have a crush on sb."

decem
greek
greek

Post by decem » 19 Dec 2013 23:35

At the moment the only word I have in the way of "love" is vai, which covers romantic love/strong emotional attraction. It can't be used to mean sexual love, or love for friends or family, just for a romantic partner.
[tick] : :gbr: | [:D] : :deu: :fra: | [:S] : :esp: :ita: :bra: | conlang sxarihe

Squall
greek
greek

Post by Squall » 19 Dec 2013 23:48

I will have only two roots:
1. Love romantically
2. Like

If you want to say "strongly like", you can use prefix or suffix: over-like.
English is not my native language. Sorry for any mistakes or lack of knowledge when I discuss this language.
:bra: :mrgreen: | :uk: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :epo: [:|] | :lat: [:S] | :jpn: [:'(]

Chagen
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Chagen » 20 Dec 2013 03:29

All Heocg has right now is writ-, a root meaning "love" in the romantic sense.

I'm thinking of adding more words, covering things such as unconditional/parental/familial/sexual/etc. love.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S

Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » 20 Dec 2013 07:29

The Kankonian language has the native word betzith, which is the general word for love or to love (but not "s/he's my love"). It covers many meanings. But a person may also specify by using a Kankonian word borrowed from Ciladian:

dil: eros (Adam loved Eve.)
mem: agape (The mother loved her only child dearly.)
saph: philia (I love tacos.)

Similar to the Greek system. All of the Ciladian-Kankonian words may be used as verbs as well as as nouns.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 59,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!

Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing » 20 Dec 2013 11:02

I can think of two words in Wakeu that may translate as love: ila and kamaa.

Ila would be used:

-To indicate romantic love ("I love my wife")
-To indicate liking or desire for various things ("I love beer")

Kamaa typically carries a more platonic connotation, and may be used:

-In religious contexts ("love God and love thy neighbour")
-For various kinds of non-romantic or non-sexual love between persons.
-To indicate love for abstract entities.

Ànradh
mayan
mayan

Post by Ànradh » 20 Dec 2013 11:31

Well, Iriej has <iraj> 'love, feel kinship with, fond of' and <xaujal> 'love, desire, lust for'.
Both words technically mean love, but it would be weird to use the latter with members of one's family and such; using it in relation to an object or activity, such as sleep, it translates better as 'really want', but using it in relation to a person, demon, animal, spirit or god would indicate physical attraction, so care is needed.
The former is more neutral and doesn't necessarily indicate a desire for a romantic relationship, though it may be used in this way. It may also be used to indicate a fondness for an activity or object, with a more continuous implication than does <celi> 'like, enjoy'.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.

Serena
sinic
sinic

Post by Serena » 20 Dec 2013 17:12

Nice topic :D
Well...

Hanilian doesn't distinguish sexual / platonic / (bro-sis)therly love, but rather "stative" vs "dynamic" love. It has two words:
  • Fylìa φυλεία (n. Love) < Fili φιλι (v. Love)
    Fylìa is the love you already feel.
  • Horta ὡρτα (n. Love) < Hereti ἑρετι (v. Love)
    Horta is an attraction to something that you are still not related to.
Of course there's a plenty of profanity to denote sexual acts or improper relationships, but I think I will have to make a thread just for this.

Gadīl has just one root for love (S.L.D.) which can be used for every type of love.

Incorruptus
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Incorruptus » 20 Dec 2013 17:18

In Maskôte...all I have is [mo_n]. This will be accompanied by words for lust, like, annoy and hate.

"I love you" is MÔ NEEŁA..., or "to express deep emotions."

Valosken
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Valosken » 20 Dec 2013 17:45

Atm, I have "elska" as a placeholder as the verb "To love romantically", but honestly I'm probably going to make it an intransitive verb. All other emotion verbs work that way.
First, I learned English.
Dann lernte ich Deutsch.
Y ahora aprendo Español.

prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon » 20 Dec 2013 18:47

Rireinutire has four words that can be translated as 'love':

nuseta to love something holy
ramata to love a person or people (non-sexual sense)
repita to love sexually, to desire
virita to like or love something inanimate or non-sentient
♀♥♀
I too have a minicity.

Shrdlu
greek
greek

Post by Shrdlu » 21 Dec 2013 01:06

"I see you well".
I kill threads!

CatDoom
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by CatDoom » 21 Dec 2013 07:30

In Yipta, klat is the morpheme that forms the core of most terms relating to affection. Alone, it can be be used as a verb meaning "to trust" or "to embrace," and connotes a willingness to make oneself vulnerable in order to become closer with another. Used as a noun, it has the literally means "belly," but is used figuratively to refer to a physical or emotional weak spot or state of vulnerability.

Another relevant morpheme is 'alm, which represents the noun "heart" and may be used as a noun meaning "to think" or "to experience (an emotion)." Together, these two form the compound klat'alm, which expresses the concept of romantic love between non-related individuals.

Klatqan, which includes the morpheme qan, meaning "feeling" or "intuition," is used to express trust or friendship rather than romantic intent. Feelings of kinship and familial love are most commonly expressed by simply using the relevant kinship term as a verb. For instance, maq represents the noun "mother," but also the verb "to mother," both in a biological sense and in the sense of caring for a child in the manner in which a mother is expected to. Maq'alm can be used as a noun to refer to motherly love or other maternal feelings.

Sexual desire, disentangled from any notions of closeness, trust, or affection, can be expressed using the highly straightforward compound niysal, from the morphemes nay, "to have sexual intercourse" and sal "desire, wish; to want." Propositioning someone in this way is exactly as romantic as it sounds.

Omzinesý
runic
runic

Post by Omzinesý » 04 Feb 2014 18:55

Vtain doesn't have one word for 'love'. It's a bit strange because they mostly have love marriages, however.

cami - to respect, to be devoted, to need
- loving your spouse. You just cannot imagine live without him/her.
- old servants love their masters. Sam Gamgi's relationship with Frodo Baggins could well be described with the verb cami.
- Children are supposed to respect and be grateful to their parents.
(säcami 'to ne married', säcayma 'marriage')

hurdi - to feel sexual love, to lust, to be fallen in love
(sähurda 'sexual love')
(hïhurdi 'to have a sexual relationship')

haydi - to feel need to protect
- feel need to protect your spouse
- parent's love to their children

sïpidi - to feel need to posses a person, feel jealousy
(spidi - to own)

Chagen
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Chagen » 04 Feb 2014 19:18

Sunbyaku is not very complex in this respect. There are two verbs which translate into English "to love":

naidarī: to love sexually/romantically
shiruku: to love as a friend/familiy

Once could think of naidarī as encompassing Eros and shiruku as encompassing all of Store, Philia, and Agape. I probably will add some more stuff for now, but this is what I have now.

The sense of "love" in the way of "enjoy doing a lot" is expressed with the verb kyoku "to enjoy, have fun" with an instrumental phrase:

kirku deyo kyoji
write-GER from have.fun-1SG
I love to write (lit. "With writing I have fun")

Be very, VERY careful to not confuse kyoji "I have fun" with kyōji "I am on fire".
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S

wintiver
sinic
sinic

Post by wintiver » 08 Feb 2014 19:12

Psaasa
There is one verb for "liking/loving" much like the French word aimer I suppose. The nouns referring to loving and liking are suppletive.

Verb
/ɣæɑ/ <ɣäa>: loving/liking/enjoying (something)

Noun
/psi:v/ <psiiv>: an object of fixation, something you enjoy
/mpok/ <mpok>: a comrade, friendly colleague, fellow coworker, someone dedicated to a similar cause, ally.
/tɬəs/ <tłês>: childhood friend, drinking buddy, a friend one's shared light-hearted memories with, akin to a fairweather friend (but no negative connotation, one does not simply expect people to help in one's personal affairs after all.)
/giz:ɑ/ <gizza>: a best friend, lover, wife, husband, person who you can confide in, one of a very small group of those you share deeper things with (again, not customary in Psaasan culture to share one's secrets or problems. So outside of your family there are maybe four or five people it is socially acceptable to vent to, one of your gizza would gladly lend an ear, a tłês would ask why you're bitching so much and would tell you to have a drink.)
/ʈʼohɑ/ <ṭʼoha>: a member of your family within one generation either side of you(i.e. parents, children, siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles etc, but grandparents and grandchildren do not apply, as there is a word indicative of another level of familial distance away - I don't have this word fleshed out yet)
/qɑuɳ/ <qauṇ>: something pined for, wanted, dreamed about but (most likely) never achieved, received or obtained.

That's all I have really.

Valosken
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Valosken » 08 Feb 2014 22:29

Yep - Elska is intransitive. The "object" of one's love is the indirect object. I suppose this is part of my philosophy; that we are responsible for our own emotions and they are quite separate from externals.

"I love you."
Male > Female: Ei vir elskar.
Female > Male: El dir elskar.
Where dir and vir are the second person singular allative pronouns, masculine and feminine respectively.
First, I learned English.
Dann lernte ich Deutsch.
Y ahora aprendo Español.