Con-Script Development Centre

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Re: Con-Script Development Centre

Post by Ahzoh » 15 Aug 2014 02:38

I'm thinking of making Vrkhazhian Alakkhav into an abjad with logographic elements, though, I'm not sure what would be suitable for logographs.
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 15 Aug 2014 06:12

Isn't it already an adjad?

Hmmm, logographs, eh? Would they be used similarly to Japanese where nouns and verbs are more often kanji and derivational and inflectional morphemes are syllabary (in your case they'd be abjad characters) or the reverse?

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 15 Aug 2014 07:04

XXXVII wrote:Isn't it already an adjad?

Hmmm, logographs, eh? Would they be used similarly to Japanese where nouns and verbs are more often kanji and derivational and inflectional morphemes are syllabary (in your case they'd be abjad characters) or the reverse?
Of course it's an abjad, but with a new addition.

No, they'd be mostly abjadic. Logographs would probably be religous symbols (e.g. crows and vultures), or basic things, like the sun, or the moon. Or a house. Though, I'm not too fond of using my existing abjad characters to represent things (e.g. Letter Shim symbol is a glyph representing house and the phoneme /ɕ~ç/ and means house).

Egyptian Hieratic was an abjad with logographic features: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hieratic

Redovas
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Redovas » 15 Aug 2014 13:36

Funny, I was also planning on adding logographic and ideographic elements to Sun Script like a cross between Egyptian and Japanese systems. It's a syllabary, so it'd be a lot closer to how Japanese functions, using logograms for meaty roots and morphemes and "kana" for everything else. But I realized that Egyptian's use of phonetic complements and determinatives would also be interesting to use for avoiding confusion between different readings of the same logogram, or maybe act as inflectionary shortcuts (marking plurals with just a "3" glyph?), and I guess to just add another level of complexity to the script.

Not that it already isn't... It's already a large enough syllabary (hieratic and linear styles below), with 240 individual symbols (counting diacritic combinations, around 42,000 possible syllables, if I did the math correctly). I'd really just be making my life exponentially harder, but it's just too tempting.
Spoiler:

'Sup.

:tgl: · :usa: | :kor: · :fra: · :jpn:
// ART THINGS
// CONWORLD THINGS

clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » 15 Aug 2014 15:07

My Naduta script works that way. It is partially logographic (mainly content words) and partially syllabic (mainly function words and inflections). However, the logographic and phonetic glyphs are for the most part identical, and are not always reliably differentiated. The functionality of the script is kind of a cross between Japanese and Sumerian. I did this purposely to make it confusing and complicated.

Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing » 15 Aug 2014 18:00

The Gaku script is (or was?) a kind of combined consonantal-logographic script. Not in the sense that it had some words written with logograms, and others with consonant letters. Rather, it is (was?) a consonantal script with a rather high degree of morphography. The basic graphemes were consonantal, and each root morpheme was written with ~3 consonant sign. But there was a high degree of morphography, in that there were several letters that could represent the same sound, so that spelling was not predictable from pronunciation.

Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov » 09 Sep 2014 12:10

The !hicnar abjad:
It written top-to-bottom, right to left.
Every letter is topped with a horizontal line, the sight of which shows that it's a new letter.

The example on the left reads "!hcnrtn !hcnr" vowelized as "!hacanaritan !hicnar"- "I speak !hicnar"
Thoughts?
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien

Maraxxus
sinic
sinic

Post by Maraxxus » 10 Sep 2014 00:24

Well, this should work.

:nld: :eng: :hun: :fra: :deu:
:con: Maxédri
:con: Faljüdax

Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Post by Sḿtuval » 10 Sep 2014 00:39

Finally made a script I'm somewhat proud of.

I forgot what it means, but it looks pretty. [:P]
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore » 13 Sep 2014 05:04

Sḿtuval wrote:Finally made a script I'm somewhat proud of.
Looks like a mix of Tengwar, Greek, Arabic, and something completely new.

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 13 Sep 2014 06:18

I see the Greek influence most definitely, but I'm not seeing the Tengwar or Arabic, but maybe a passing resemblance to Hebrew... (especially in the sixth character from the left)?

Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir » 13 Sep 2014 07:27

XXXVII wrote:I see the Greek influence most definitely, but I'm not seeing the Tengwar or Arabic, but maybe a passing resemblance to Hebrew... (especially in the sixth character from the left)?
everything looks like Tengwar. [:)]
(though in that case, OH MY GOD THE VERTICAL LINES - JUST LIKE TENGWAR) [:P]
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799

corsairouge
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by corsairouge » 13 Sep 2014 09:22

I did some fiddling around with the Latin alphabet since I always thought it would be interesting to think how a modern alphabet might evolve and be adapted for another language. That or I'm not creative enough to create a script from scratch. I borrowed from the Uncial alphabet since I like the curves of the letters and think that the use of Uncial would be around the time that my concountry/nation adapted the Uncial Latin alphabet for their own language.

Here's the process of the change, with the final letter highlighted. One letter is missing because I cannot for the life of me figure out what to do with that one.
Spoiler:
Here's a text sample to get a feel for what the script looks like. Parts of some letters didn't show up since my fountain was pretty scratchy on the paper used.

Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Post by Sḿtuval » 18 Sep 2014 01:00

eldin raigmore wrote:
Sḿtuval wrote:Finally made a script I'm somewhat proud of.
Looks like a mix of Tengwar, Greek, Arabic, and something completely new.
XXXVII wrote:I see the Greek influence most definitely, but I'm not seeing the Tengwar or Arabic, but maybe a passing resemblance to Hebrew... (especially in the sixth character from the left)?
I don't see the Arabic, but I definitely see the Greek, Tengwar (now that I looked up what it is), and Hebrew.

Here's the romanization: hiɣin zote ka | ďeŋyn lavau la ṭaẓ

Out of all 35 glyphs, this one's my favorite:
It's romanized as <ṣ>
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

Ashucky
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Ashucky » 18 Sep 2014 02:21

Well, after ages of failed attempts I finally made a couple of scripts that I like for my main conlang. It's technically supposed to be all one script with several versions, both horizontal and vertical. For some reason I prefer the vertical ones. I also have a font but it's only for the horizontal version of the script (I'd like to have fonts for the vertical scripts too but I'm not really sure how to go about making them).

Here's the two vertical versions, both are read right-to-left:
1) a more elaborate style, called "(rain)drop script":

2) a more robust style, called "stone script":

And the horizontal font (called "paper script") (I have a handwritten style for this as well):

It's the same text in all three scripts, the first few paragraphs of The Little Prince in Laefêvëši (my main conlang):
Túaili báujo
Déiki 1:
Suj vl-erófekiláis, lállai ýþþi varváillo víhyda nárre jahtaôhhi, klásikko Nálisa víesa. Dô-láis trágʒø, á péittais læ íriseu. Jánla lás vrâh víhyde. Nárre siénnalais: „Trágaf péttos njîbbóereu rýmme, klónoðaþ j-ái. Púihi áttiolléksisa li ténnos erófekifha áhkvoðau.“
Aséi-i ksóullai víeronnø kaurísau li játkoj vi hámnekkeku káuillailláh nîullo aséllo káuleu. Sóullo káuleu trêm sá. Kvíllais šánla. Nîjawêada vnéllai þádis u je ...

(There are a few mistakes in the handwritten versions, btw, wrong letters mainly.)
The whole world is my garden - I have created it and I rule it. The heavens envy me, and the gods stand before me humble.
Hūmantit kuēte esti kirītu-met – ūg apēn harmi samnāntā nu ūg apān ēlhami. Nēbetar mi arsanti nu dēvei istahantar gengei par amāt.

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 20 Sep 2014 00:55

Very cool scripts! The first version reminds me a bit of Mongolian.

Ashucky
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Ashucky » 20 Sep 2014 21:30

XXXVII wrote:Very cool scripts! The first version reminds me a bit of Mongolian.
Yeah, Mongolian was the inspiration for it since it's my favourite script. [:)]
The whole world is my garden - I have created it and I rule it. The heavens envy me, and the gods stand before me humble.
Hūmantit kuēte esti kirītu-met – ūg apēn harmi samnāntā nu ūg apān ēlhami. Nēbetar mi arsanti nu dēvei istahantar gengei par amāt.

Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku » 29 Sep 2014 20:28

I've just messed around with Unicode and I started to create something which I, personally, like.
It's just some other letters mixed up new, adapted some from the Cyrillic, some from the Latin alphabet and some which I even hadn't known before. Some major letters don't fit to the minor ones in fact, but I don't care. It's more a fun writing system for my conlang.
Look at this:

Ʀɕ ȣɒɟ ɓȝн ɒʆ̡ɒƽɟɕ ʗ'ƿɕɓʗн
Ʀɕ ɏɕɓɒɟ ɔɕᴋʯн ɓɒнɩʇɕ̀২ʗƹ ʇɕɯ
Ʀɕ ɒλɩƥɒɟ ᴋɒн ʗɓȝƥɒ ɕƥ
Ʀɕ ɏɕɓɒɟ ɔɕȣʯн ɓɒнɩʇɕ̀ɔʗƹʇɕɯ
ɓȝʇᴋʯƥɒ ɣ'ᴋɩнɒ ɓɩʇ ƥɕ ɏɩƥɕɏɒɟ!

How do you like it, just by seeing it first time?

In the spoiler you can see the different letters.
Spoiler:

A a = Ʌ̠ ɒ
Ar ar = Џ ɯ̴
B B = Ȣ ȣ
C c = K ᴋ
D d = Ƽ ƽ
E e = E ɕ
F f = ১ ɔ
G g = Λ λ
I i = I ɩ
I i [j] = look below
IY iy = Ɣ ɣ
L l = Ƿ ƿ
M m = Ɯ ɯ
N n = H н
O o = C ʗ
P p = Ɋ ɋ
R r = Ʀ ƥ
S s = ʃ ƹ
T t = ʈ ʇ
U u = Ƴ ʯ
V v = Ɓ ɓ
Y y = Ɏ ɏ
Z z = Ƣ ƣ
Æ æ = Ȝ ȝ
' ' = ˢ ˢ
[ks] = X x
[ts] = Ȥ ɀ ʕ [the last one is special before e and i]
[ps] = ɋ̡ʅ [only minor letter]

Stress (which, in Latin, is described with an acute) is shown by ʚ after the vowel.

I when pronounced [j]

last letter in diphtongs: ɟ
but:
ia = ̡ɒ
ie = ̡ɕ
io = ̡ʗ
iu = ̡ʯ
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 29 Sep 2014 21:24

I had an idea: a syllabary with CV values, but can have markings that can add another consonant to allow CCV clusters.

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 30 Sep 2014 04:00

I don't know of a Natlang that does that, but seems like a cool idea to me!

I'm anxious to see what you'll come up with!