Naming Conlangs

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Chelsara
cuneiform
cuneiform

Naming Conlangs

Post by Chelsara » 26 Nov 2010 04:40

How did your conlang get its name/what does your conlang's name mean?

Ossicone

Re: Naming Conlangs

Post by Ossicone » 26 Nov 2010 04:41

Well most people know by now that Inyauk means 'people' in Inyauk.
I took the idea from Inuktitut which means ~ 'like people.'

EDIT: Tipsy posting got me to level ahirai!
Last edited by Ossicone on 26 Nov 2010 04:57, edited 1 time in total.

MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov » 26 Nov 2010 04:42

Always a random collection of phonotactically valid syllables. Usually never retrofitted with a meaning.

jseamus
greek
greek

Post by jseamus » 26 Nov 2010 04:48

I don't remember where the name "Nejadish" came from, but it's older than the language itself. It means something to do with "red" I think. The endonym was "Akra Neja'ada" last I checked.

"Asalbe-nin" means "my tongue," possibly "our tongues."

"October Language" is called that because I started it last month, on the first of the month (I think).
This is the world.

fiziwig
sinic
sinic

Post by fiziwig » 26 Nov 2010 06:10

My 30-day conlang project Txtana /ʧ-tana/, got it's name from the verb txtato /ʧ-tato/ "to understand" and means "that which is understandable", implying that, to speakers of Txtana, other languages are not understandable.

Maximillian
greek
greek

Post by Maximillian » 26 Nov 2010 07:38

I have a book by Leigh Brackett entitled The Sword of Rhiannon (which, btw, I've never read); that's where the name Ríhann comes from. Ríhannen simply means "belonging to Ríhann". Ríhann itself means "land of Ríh", an archaic name for the people.

Broádh means "language of Bro", while Bro as the name of the country comes from "Britain".
UNUS•ET•UNICUS

Testyal
roman
roman

Post by Testyal » 26 Nov 2010 08:32

I simply take them as they come. Although I may make something out of English words e.g. Staalouviic comes from 'Stalin' and 'Soviet'.
:deu: :fra: :zho: :epo:

Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » 26 Nov 2010 08:54

The name of a language is a really precious thing. Likely your whole culture's history can be determined by simply tracing back its etymology.

Anyway, as for my conlangs:

Active:

Acoi - Literally, "The Words."
Agyonnar - "Language of the Dragons." Though "Agyon" itself comes from older A Ghont, meaning "Those who are free."

Defunct (?):

Qz'lxealk - Lit. "Servants of the Snake God." (The language and the culture share the same name.)
Coarghydh - Lit. "Servants of the Blood God." (As above.)
Cadohhan - "Salt-makers." (The modern nation of Cadohhan has its history in a brutal era of constant civil-war. Rtanha Aobha conquered all of the other city states and united them all under a single empire. He named his new empire after, and turned into his capital, Cadohha, which had its name due to the primary trade being distilling the salt from seawater.)
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter

Yagia1
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Yagia1 » 26 Nov 2010 10:36

Vayardyio goes way back in time. Actually it is a derivation from the name of an existing beach near my home, called De Banjaard, which I visited often as a child. This is where my fantasy world originated. It became Banyardo later on, which I changed into Vayardo to reflect natural language change. Vayardyio means the language spoken in Vayardo. The conlang derivation of the name is from ancient "Pen-" (wild, uninhabitated) and "Charddun" (land, territory) the name give to it by Coumrilian tribes when they first settled their new lands
conlang: Vayardyio. http://conlang.wikia.com/wiki/Vayardyio
Affacite iago Vayardyio fidigou dicronésara !

native: :nld: fluent: :eng: :fra: :deu: can read: :ita: :esp:

CMunk
greek
greek

Post by CMunk » 26 Nov 2010 12:46

The name for my conlang ‘mhm̋ doesn't mean anything as of now, but it was inspired by the affirmative (and very nasal) sound that in english is written "uhuh".
Native: :dan: | Fluent: :uk: | Less than fluent: :deu:, :jpn:, :epo: | Beginner: Image, :fao:, :non:
Creating: :con:Jwar Nong, :con:Mhmmz

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 26 Nov 2010 12:55

My language(s)* are known as Dengas which simply means "language" as opposed to the incomprehensible babbling of other groups of people. Ultimately it derives from the PIE root *dn̥ǵʰwéh₂s meaning "tongue", the source of English tongue and Latin lingua. Likewise, the name for themselves is Teutas which means "people, nation", specifically referring to themselves rather than a crowd, or human beings as a species or general group, etc. and ultimately comes from the PIE root *téuteh₂s meaning something along the lines of "the people (under arms)" and thus cognate to Irish tuath and German deutsch.

Other languages are called Balbis, roughly meaning "babblings" or "stammerings", and those that speak them, e.g. non-Teutas peoples, are called Balbateris (singular Balbater), "those who babble, stammer" (similar to Greek "barbaros"). Languages as a whole are known as kuonis (singular kuon, cognate to Armenian jayn and Albanian ) while people as a whole are known as somis (singular son, cognate to Latin homo and Irish duine). These terms are also used in specific labels, e.g. Dengas could also be referred to as Kuon Teudad meaning "language of the Teutas" and "Englishman", without translating "England" would be Son Engalandad meaning "person of England".

*They are distinct, unintelligible languages but are, from a political/ethnic/national/whatever viewpoint, described as dialects of a single underpinning language. The above forms are given in their Late Classical Dengas form.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx » 26 Nov 2010 14:35

CMunk wrote:The name for my conlang ‘mhm̋ doesn't mean anything as of now, but it was inspired by the affirmative (and very nasal) sound that in english is written "uhuh".
Yhm...

So, ral'ęmyt (Emmut) comes from et (being), Old Eth *e-tə (that who exists). Ral prefix marks that is not literal meaning.
Kareulina comes from twisted and tortured "Karelia".
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.

zelos
greek
greek

Post by zelos » 26 Nov 2010 14:40

Adjective of the people :3
Visit the growing Conlang Wiki!
Let's Play Channel: EmperorZelos

Raydred
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Raydred » 26 Nov 2010 16:13

My first language which is dead now was called Rastati. Simply because it's similiar to a word, whose pronounciation I love. [ʀas.ta.fa.ri]
My second language which came from rastati and which is now developing into a third language has the english name "Simple Folk Speech" SFS, when the language gets stable I'll translate it to the language.
PS: I hope it ever gets stable... Did so much work on conlangs but I never stop changing and trying to improve...

Anyway, a good way to name languages is to base it on the name of the people. The name of the people comes from something it distinguishes them, their leader, their area(town/city/etc), characteristics, family, etc.

Jarhead
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Jarhead » 26 Nov 2010 19:49

Eil means language, in Eil.
L1: :ita:
Fluent (on a good day): :eng:
Written: :lat:
Beginner: :esp:
Working on: :con: ~ Eil

Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx » 26 Nov 2010 19:58

Usu means Usu in Usu. :-P
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.

Curlyjimsam
sinic
sinic

Post by Curlyjimsam » 26 Nov 2010 20:04

The names "Viksen" and "Greater Atlian" both actually received their etymologies post hoc, after I'd already invented the names. Viksen is from the Viksen stem viks-, which is used to create forms such as Viks-ba (the Viksen name for "Viksen") and Viksór (the country where the language is spoken). Greater Atlian is named after Atlia, the country where it is spoken, whose name is ultimately from Imperial Naktic parini atolus "eastern league".
Twitter: @jsbaker750

SLiV
greek
greek

Post by SLiV » 26 Nov 2010 20:45

Λυрιοнεcκι (Lurioneski) is Lurioneski for "language of the Luriones". It's the root Λυрιοн- with the language suffix -εcκι added to it.
It's actually quite odd, as one of the main things defining what a Lurionis is, is that he/she speaks Lurioneski. The Lurionas (where the Luriones live) isn't technically a country.

Hwong Zheng was simply some random vowels, although it now appears to be an punnish thingie derived from Hweng Zhong: "good" with a "group" marker, i.e. "a group of good".
:nld: native | :eng: fluent | :deu: :fra: :esp: reading | :lat: :grc: translating

Avo
roman
roman

Post by Avo » 27 Nov 2010 01:59

Curlyjimsam wrote:The names "Viksen" and "Greater Atlian" both actually received their etymologies post hoc, after I'd already invented the names. Viksen is from the Viksen stem viks-, which is used to create forms such as Viks-ba (the Viksen name for "Viksen") and Viksór (the country where the language is spoken). Greater Atlian is named after Atlia, the country where it is spoken, whose name is ultimately from Imperial Naktic parini atolus "eastern league".
Actually wichsen /vɪksn̩/ means to jerk off in german, with Wichser /vɪksɐ/ being the noun..

Ceresz
runic
runic

Post by Ceresz » 27 Nov 2010 17:25

I'm simply string together sounds which I like and sound good together, and then I might or might not apply a meaning to the "word". Hãla has no exact meaning, but Mevcéṣ (or the Mevian language) literally means of Mev. Both the language and the island where they reside is know as Mevcéṣ