Ranse

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Alessio
sinic
sinic

Ranse

Post by Alessio » 16 Nov 2014 11:37

Hello, everybody... it's been a lot of time since I last posted here!
That's been mainly because I haven't developed any language worth being posted about here... until now.
In facts, I'm proud to have given birth to

Ranse

that is, national language in Ranse.

It is a polysynthetic language, where roots are composed of one syllable, strictly (C)(A)V(A)(C) where C is any consonant but an approximant, and A is an approximant.
I've included an extensive phonemic inventory to be sure that I'll have enough syllables to create a lot of roots, which I will then merge to create any word. So far, I've tried to make a separate root only for "primitive" words that I didn't know how to represent using other roots, or that would result in too long words (for example, I can think of two or three ways to form the word "sphere", but since I have to use this with "fire" to make "Sun", I didn't want it to be too long, so it has a separate syllable, ra).
Here are my phonemes.

CONSONANTS
Nasals: /m n ɲ/ <m n ň>
Plosives: /p b t d k g/ <p b t d k g>
Fricatives: /f v s z ʃ ʒ x ɣ h/ <f v s z š ž ħ q h>
Trills: /r/ <r>
Lateral approximants: /l ʎ/ <l ł>
Approximants: /j w ɹ/ <j w ř>
Affricates: /ts dz tʃ dʒ/ <c dz č dž>

VOWELS
Closed: /i y u/ <i y u>
Close-mid: /e ø o/ <e eu o>
Open: /a/ <a>

The pronunciation of vowels varies greatly from dialect to dialect; for example, in the north-eastern part of Joran (meaning the great country), they all change as follows:
[ɪ ɨ ʊ ε ǝ ɔ ɐ]
Curiously, no dialect is known to realize a vowel in a way that would be interpreted as another vowel in another dialect, thus there's never ambiguity.

As for the writing system, the language uses two: the dužbet'i (original characters), ideograms used to represent nouns, adjectives, adverbs and most verbs, and the rajmbet'i (Ralmitic characters, where Ralmitic is the language family) for verb endings, pronouns, prepositions, conjunctions and some modifiers such as the plural or the pseudo-cases. In other words, the dužbet'i can be thought of as kanji, and the rajmbet'i as Hiragana. I will post a pic of a sentence in Ranse when I have a bit more time. For the time being, keep in mind that the Latin representation of Ranse is a transliteration.

A feature connected to this fact is the solution to a problem that arose as I was writing some sample sentences. When using the Latin alphabet, there is actually no way to tell where a syllable ends, as they are all represented by dužbet'i. For example, take the word
wenin
which I would, as - I think - most of you, divide into we and nin. Right? Wrong.
This word means queen and is actually formed by wen "king" and in "female". Here, a syllable beginning with a vowel is placed after one ending in a consonant, and there is an ambiguity. So how can we solve this?
When writing, we simply use an apostrophe:
wen'in
However, this problem would arise even when speaking. At least, I don't seem to be able to distinguish between /we.nin/ and /wen.in/. Thus, in Ranse, whenever a syllable beginning in a vowel is placed after one ending in a consonant, the one with the vowel gets the stress, that would normally fall on the very first syllable of the word. Thus "queen" is written "wen'in" and pronounced /wen'in/ (or [we'nin], for what matters; the stress alone tells us that the next root starts with a vowel, that can't be anything else than /i/ in this case).
Of course, this can lead to words with multiple stresses, but that is rare, and doesn't seem to be much of a problem, actually.

Fine, I don't have much time so this is all for now. A lot more is coming in the next days. Thanks for reading! Comments appreciated.
:ita: :eng: [:D] | :fra: :esp: [:)] | :rus: :nld: [:|] | :deu: :fin: :ell: [:(] | :con: Hecathver, Hajás

Tin't inameint ca tót a sàm stê żǒv'n e un po' cajoun, mo s't'armâgn cajoun an vǒl ménga dîr t'armâgn anc żǒven...