Akuriga (Finalish revision)

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Fanael
greek
greek

Re: Akuriga

Post by Fanael » 04 Mar 2015 00:48

qwed117 wrote:it doesn't seem to be [a feature] that I'll readily change
And why are you assuming I want you to change it? I just asked a question in hope of receiving an inspiring answer, in no place did I suggest it's something bad.

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 04 Mar 2015 00:58

What I mean is that discussion on that is pointless. And pointless. Did I mention it was pointless? Well, it's pointless.

It did up my page views, though.
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 06 Mar 2015 01:23

Past Tense
The Past Tense is marked by placing "sht"(singular) or "ish" (plural) at the end (sans "e", if a vowel comes before)
ekakalok- to become purple
ekabeyvre- to drink
ekaganuk- to murder
In the following examples, you will see the use of this (Yetya=I)
Yetya ekakalokesht - I became purple
Yetya ekabeyvresht - I drank
Yetya ekaganukasht - I murdered
Last edited by qwed117 on 16 Sep 2015 02:45, edited 3 times in total.
Spoiler:

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 06 Mar 2015 01:40

PRONOUNSAlmost forgot pronouns

Code: Select all

S       D        P 
1   Yetya   Yetyan   Yetyam
Inc         Yetan    Yetam
2   Yeme    Yemen    Yemem
3   Yete    Yeten    Yetem
Spoiler:

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 07 Mar 2015 00:20

qwed117 wrote:What I mean is that discussion on that is pointless. And pointless. Did I mention it was pointless? Well, it's pointless.

Soooo, if you don't want people to discuss various aspects of your 'lang, and refuse to explains things outside of a hand wave or "I do what I want" barely shrouded rude response, why'd you bother to make a thread on a discussion forum?

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 07 Mar 2015 03:53

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
qwed117 wrote:What I mean is that discussion on that is pointless. And pointless. Did I mention it was pointless? Well, it's pointless.

Soooo, if you don't want people to discuss various aspects of your 'lang, and refuse to explains things outside of a hand wave or "I do what I want" barely shrouded rude response, why'd you bother to make a thread on a discussion forum?
Originally, I planned to not have L. Then I thought let's include L. There really is no explanation for why the L is treated as an occlusive. The most probably explanation is that L formed from a flap/tap that was slowly converted into an approximant. Therefore, it kept the occlusiveness of the fltap, while being an approximant.
Spoiler:

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 13 Mar 2015 20:29

Object
Objects and Transitivity.
Oh boy, this is my favorite (not) thing
The way direct objects are marked is relatively simple

I drank (the) blood
1SG drink.PAST (ARTICLE) blood
Yetya ekabeyvreta (akar)in sanyaka
1SG drink.PAST.SG (ARTICLE.)Obj blood

(I don't have a word for blood, so lets use a latin "loan" for now!)

For the pronouns, the object is marked directly onto the pronouns

Yeten ekaganuketan inyetya
Yete.n eka.ganuk.eta.n in.yetya
3.PL kill.past.PL OBJ.ME

Now I know someone is going to complain that my glosses don't match. That's because I haven't finalized the way I will work on aspect or mood. Sooo, until next time!
Spoiler:

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 30 Mar 2015 22:45

IMPERATIVE TIME
The Imperative is extremely simple,
Remember how at the beginning of each verb there is a 3 letter "clitic" (I'm using this probably incorrectly, if you know what it's called just tell me!)
eka-ganuk(to kill)

In Imperative, which is considered an aspect, unlike almost every other language (See! Distinctivity!), the "eka" is replaced by "ekha"(instead using the un-velar fricative)
ekhaganuka inyete!
IMP.kill.2SG OBJ.3SG
Kill them! (them for an ungendered person)

ekhabeyvran in sanyaka!
IMP.drink.2PL OBJ-blood
Drink blood!

The Imperative Mood is now marked with the marker "ital" or "etar" depending on pluralization.
ital ekaganuka inyete
IMP MOM-kill-SG OBJ-3SG
Last edited by qwed117 on 16 Sep 2015 02:48, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:

GrandPiano
runic
runic

Post by GrandPiano » 31 Mar 2015 04:57

I know I'm like a month late, but I'd like to comment on this:
qwed117 wrote:(English, I have discovered, is a terrible source for most things lingustic)
One's native language (or any one language, for that matter) may not be that great as the sole source for information about languages in general, but comparing a feature of one language to features of your native is often a great way to get a better grasp of that feature.
:eng: - Native
:chn: - B2
:esp: - A2
:jpn: - A2

Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing » 31 Mar 2015 10:03

qwed117 wrote:IMPERATIVE TIME
Remember how at the beginning of each verb there is a 3 letter "clitic" (I'm using this probably incorrectly, if you know what it's called just tell me!)
eka-ganuk(to kill)
In the earlier post you said it was a prefix (which is not exactly the same thing as a clitic). What is it? If you're not sure about the answer, consider how you would render clause like he likes to sing and dance.

In Imperative, which is considered an aspect, unlike almost every other language (See! Distinctivity!), the "eka" is replaced by "ekha"(instead using the un-velar fricative)
Is there a reason why you analyse it as an aspect rather than a mood (or something else)?

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 01 Apr 2015 06:44

Xing wrote:
qwed117 wrote:IMPERATIVE TIME
eka-ganuk(to kill)
In the earlier post you said it was a prefix (which is not exactly the same thing as a clitic). What is it? If you're not sure about the answer, consider how you would render clause like he likes to sing and dance.

Is there a reason why you analyse it as an aspect rather than a mood (or something else)?
The reason I analyze it as an aspect is because it directly affects what I think I will use as an "aspect-marker". The three letter prefix (that's the word!) controls the Aspect (ie; continuous, simple, progressive) while mood will be indicated by a "word" or marker that doesn't attach in the same location. To better explain this, think of a verb

there are four parts mood/auxiliary aspect-marker denotation/meaning tense-marker
An example of an auxiliary is "etalan" a marker indicating a suggestive mood. An example of an aspect marker is "eka", which indicates the simple aspect. An example of a tense marker is "etan" which indicates past tense.

If I were to use this construct, I would get something like
Etalan eka-ganuk-etan
SUGG-SIMPL.kill.PAST
should've killed
If I added some context and changed it about, I would get
I suggest that you kill him in the past.
While that may seem non-sequitur from the last sentence, it is possible
Sorry for le rant (At least I think I was ranting; I probably was in my mind)
Last edited by qwed117 on 16 Sep 2015 02:50, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 03 Apr 2015 01:36

And, Not, But Not, etc[/size]
In Akuriga, compound and complex sentences are not usually used, but when they are, awkwardness spreads.

First Disclaimer: Should any death or injury be incurred due to Polish Prefix notation,It is not my fault
Second Disclaimer: Yes, we're using Polish Prefix notation. I'm very sorry

Edit: I've decided against a polish prefix notation. My language is SVO, it would make most sense for the operators to act that way too

The word for "and" is "yil". It is suffixed onto the first argument.
The word for "not" is "tel". It is separate from the word, and is located ahead of the argument
Last edited by qwed117 on 16 Sep 2015 02:53, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 08 Apr 2015 03:20

Aspect in Akuriga
Akuriga has an interesting aspect system.
The aspect marker is the first three letters, the prefix
Here are the markers for some aspects (I will continue to add as I begin to understand aspects better [;)] )
eka-simple
ekha-imperative (simple)
agha-lotic, continuous (a single activity that is continued)
oeba-momentane (a single activity that take a miniscule amount of time)

Here's how I'll show them:
I learn about Akuriga! (eka)
Learn about Akuriga! (ekha)
I am learning about Akuriga! (agha)
I learnt about Akuriga! (oeba)
Last edited by qwed117 on 16 Sep 2015 02:54, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 15 Apr 2015 07:24

Because it is likely that I'm horrendous at explaining, let's challenge the limits of the Conlanging thread. I'll give the sentences, and you guys guess which aspect tense or modifier to use. Also, I'm thinking of completely scrapping the simple tense. Is there any posteriori on that?

I was learning Akuriga.
I learnt akuriga.
James hurt me.
James was hurting me.
Caitlin was happy.
Jorge said no.
They should be freed.
They were screaming.
Last edited by qwed117 on 16 Sep 2015 02:53, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:

Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing » 15 Apr 2015 08:57

qwed117 wrote: The reason I analyze it as an aspect is because it directly affects what I think I will use as an "aspect-marker". The three letter prefix (that's the word!) controls the Aspect (ie; continuous, simple, progressive) while mood will be indicated by a "word" or marker that doesn't attach in the same location. To better explain this, think of a verb
(This might be more of a nitpick or technicality in the context, so feel free to go on with other parts of the language if you want...)

Couldn't one just say that the aspects are neutralised when the verb is in the imperative mood? After all, it's not uncommon that the imperative is marked in a different way that other moods... Can other moods in the language co-occur with the imperative? Or do the imperative form a mutually exclusive set together with the other moods?
qwed117 wrote:Because it is likely that I'm horrendous at explaining, let's challenge the limits of the Conlanging thread. I'll give the sentences, and you guys guess which aspect tense or modifier to use. Also, I'm thinking of completely scrapping the simple tense. Is there any posteriori on that?
I'm not sure about what you mean by 'simple tense' – but since there are languages with no tense marking at all, I don't see why not... By 'scrapping', do you simply mean that you drop the prefix? Or that some other prefix be used, so that the 'simple tense' become ambiguous with some other tense/aspect?

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 15 Apr 2015 17:32

Xing wrote:(This might be more of a nitpick or technicality in the context, so feel free to go on with other parts of the language if you want...)

Couldn't one just say that the aspects are neutralised when the verb is in the imperative mood? After all, it's not uncommon that the imperative is marked in a different way that other moods... Can other moods in the language co-occur with the imperative? Or do the imperative form a mutually exclusive set together with the other moods?
qwed117 wrote:Because it is likely that I'm horrendous at explaining, let's challenge the limits of the Conlanging thread. I'll give the sentences, and you guys guess which aspect tense or modifier to use. Also, I'm thinking of completely scrapping the simple tense. Is there any posteriori on that?
I'm not sure about what you mean by 'simple tense' – but since there are languages with no tense marking at all, I don't see why not... By 'scrapping', do you simply mean that you drop the prefix? Or that some other prefix be used, so that the 'simple tense' become ambiguous with some other tense/aspect?
Simple aspect, I stupided again [:P]
Spoiler:

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 15 Apr 2015 23:20

Here's my second decision on Aspects
Red = Deleted
Black = Kept
Grey = Changed
Green = Added
eka - simple
ekha - imperative
eka - momentane
agha - lotic, continuous, progressive (The action takes up a large amount of time that can be easily quantified
krea - inchoative-cessative
kro - iterative
Edit: I have been blinded by my own post [xP]
Edit: #EEEEEE is the backgroundcolor
Last edited by qwed117 on 16 Sep 2015 02:54, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 02 May 2015 04:30

Quick thoughts
suffixes

etara - doer of
etalya - one who has done unto him

prefixes

sore - all
shute - strong
wetye - weak
Sore Sandhi
Soraban (sun, all-light)
Sorsuiten (bird, all-feathers)
Sorkoreg (language, all-words)
Last edited by qwed117 on 16 Sep 2015 02:56, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 07 May 2015 02:55

Here are some notes on Phonotactics on the Teles wikia that I didn't transfer here:
Words can begin only with monophthongs or consonants.

Two vowels cannot occur in the center of a syllable, except in the case of a diphthong. Two consonants can not occur together unless they are an affricative pair. A voiced affricate must be followed by a straight vowel and not a diphthong. An affricative or nasal cannot end a word.

A syllable that begins with an affricate is stressed. If there is a stop ending said syllable or starting the next syllable, it will be aspirated.

For example, given the word

<ghewtseyo> /ɣiw.t͡si.jʉ/

We can stress it as

/ɣiw.t͡siˈ.jʉ/

The word

<achanetia> /a.t͡ʃan.it.ia/

can be stressed as

/a.t͡ʃanˈitʰ.ia/

Placing a palatal approximant after a consonant gives a palatalized variant of said consonant, and leads to the aspiration of the next stop.

<gyata> /gjata/

<gyata> /gjatʰa/
Last edited by qwed117 on 16 Sep 2015 02:56, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 28 May 2015 05:11

I have some more stuff on CWS
Spoiler: