Ni'óno3íínow - Esseintially just Latin really

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Porphyrogenitos
sinic
sinic

Re: Ni'óno3íínow - Esseintially just Latin really

Post by Porphyrogenitos » 18 May 2019 17:09

This is a fantastic project. One thing I have to pick at: It's pretty likely that unconditional /f/ > /θ/ is an unnatural sound change (though /θ/ > /f/ is natural). IIRC in a paper or book chapter by Juliette Blevins, she shows that there are no attested cases of /f/ > /θ/ anywhere in the world.

You could get conditional /f/ > /θ/ adjacent to unrounded vowels via linguolabials. Or it might be a good idea to just merge /f/ > /h/ first thing, since /f/ was relatively uncommon in Latin and only occurred in word-initial position anyways. Or maybe have a chain shift /f/ > /h/ > zero.

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Ni'óno3íínow - Esseintially just Latin really

Post by DesEsseintes » 19 May 2019 05:59

Porphyrogenitos wrote:
18 May 2019 17:09
It's pretty likely that unconditional /f/ > /θ/ is an unnatural sound change (though /θ/ > /f/ is natural). IIRC in a paper or book chapter by Juliette Blevins, she shows that there are no attested cases of /f/ > /θ/ anywhere in the world.
I’m aware the change is unattested, but the “explanation” I have in my head is as follows: *f would have backed to velar along with *p *b, but as a fricative behaved somewhat differently (perhaps it was more front /ç/) and subsequently fronted to /θ/ (this works well with the general loss of /j/ in C_ position). At first glance at least, this is not a problem in the ordering of the sound changes.

However, regardless of whether the actual explanation is viable or not, I don’t plan to change it, as I am happy with the distribution of /θ/ versus /s x/ at present. My objective with this project is not naturalism per se, but rather the resultant aesthetic. I’m afraid that goes for all my projects.

Thanks also for the kind words.