Silvish

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
cedh
MVP
MVP

Re: Silvish

Post by cedh » 12 Jun 2019 18:32

So, if I understand it correctly:
- a stressed penult will always be followed by a syllable with an unstressed short vowel
- an unstressed penult will always be followed by a stressed final syllable
- a final syllable with a long vowel will always be stressed

If the above is true, I would suggest the following system, which is similar to your hybrid one but with a few additional rules:
- final stress is typically unmarked
- penultimate stress is marked; using a circumflex if the vowel is long, and an acute/grave if the vowel is short
- in words with an unstressed long penult, final stress on a short vowel is marked with an acute/grave
- final stressed short /e/ is always written é, even when the penult is not long
- in words whose last two syllables both contain vowels with a circumflex accent, the final syllable is stressed

I think this should cover all possible constellations without ambiguity:
/beˈta/ beta
/beˈte/ beté
/beˈteː/ betê
/beːˈte/ bêté
/beːˈteː/ bêtê
/ˈbete/ bète
/ˈbeːte/ bête

Your example text would look like this:

La rrêzoù par cha s' ajìssi d' responsâbletê d' intrettyé trê clê ìnsi que de problêmi lojistic dyun lê neuv uzî qui pouroùye gravaman accablé la hwìn-a lojistìca.

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 12 Jun 2019 23:14

Yeah, that system works really well. [:D] I can't wait to start writing things with it. Thank you!

Wé, chou sistêmou màrhe byin byé. [:D] Jou voû pas l' eùra que j' eccrif avé lû. Marchif !

cedh
MVP
MVP

Post by cedh » 14 Jun 2019 19:23

You're welcome!

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 18 Dec 2019 18:31

So I don't forget, I learned about an imaginary animal that is said to live in the Alps and other French mountainous areas, called the dahu or dahut. It's distinguished by having one pair of legs shorter than the other, but on either the right or left side. This supposedly makes it easier for the dahu to get around on mountain slopes. There are also names for the two possible leg arrangements. The dahu dextrogyre "clockwise dahu" has shorter right legs and can only go around a mountain clockwise. The dahu lévogyre "counterclockwise dahu" has shorter left legs and can only go counterclockwise.

What exactly a dahu looks like seems to be debatable. A lot of the results on Google Images show a mountain goat-type creature. But there's also a couple that make it look like a nightmarishly stretched rabbit. The Arpitan dictionary where I first learned the term says a dahu looks like a fox.

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 02 Feb 2020 08:45

A little bit of conculture that was on my mind yesterday, plus some related vocab:

Silvia brings in a lot of revenue as an international skiing and snowboarding destination, but there's still a variety of outdoor activities in the summer months. They include hiking (oûra [ˈuː.ʁa]), mountaineering (alpin̄îsmo [ɑl.pŋ̩ˈiː.zmə]) and mountainbiking (velo montânye [vəˈlo mɔ̃ˈtɑː.ɲˑə]).

And for those who miss gliding down the slopes, there's an exhilerating option in downhill longboarding (dessintä long board [dɛˈsɛ̃n.ta ˈlɔ̃ŋ ˈbɔʁ]). In order to reduce the number of people boarding on public roads alongside traffic, some municipalities and ski resorts partnered to allow longboarders to practice on the resorts' roads during the summer. Official competitions are also organized; in those cases, a stretch of road is blocked to traffic, and extra barriers are set up to protect the competitors in inevitable wipeouts (havûtye [ha̝ˈvyː.tjə]). Though Silvia is better known for its dominance in skiing, the country has produced several world champion longboarders.

I've found a video of some people longboarding at various locations that would be within Silvia. Here's another video; it wasn't filmed within Silvish borders, but it is in the Alps and it has fewer cuts.