Talk on Conlanging

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Qxentio
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Talk on Conlanging

Post by Qxentio » 14 Jul 2016 16:08

Hi everyone.
Next monday (the 18th of July, 2016), I will have a talk on conlanging in my university class on fictional languages.
I want to talk about the process of constructing a language: Finding a goal and setting it into motion, coming up with phonology, morphology, syntax and all that jazz.
I'll mostly use my own conlang (Yagarian/Jagárhveja) as an example, but I'll also refer to other languages.
For example, I want to use Sullustese from the Star Wars universe as an example of how to create a fictional language without creating a language. Sullustese was represented by the African language Haya in Episode VI.

What should I include in the talk? What should I avoid? How should I do it? I'm looking for some creative input here.
Also, if one of the languages that you know fits in as a prime example of a certain aspect of conlanging, please let me know.

Thanks for your input.

t. Qxentio
Meine Muttersprache ist Deutsch. My second language is English. Olim discēbam Latinam. Sú ginévam Jagárhvejak. Opiskelen Suomea. Un ek kür en lütten Tick Platt.

OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Re: Talk on Conlanging

Post by OTʜᴇB » 14 Jul 2016 16:22

I'd put something in about how they develop and split into daughter languages. Something about families of languages. I'd also put something in about creating phonologies whilst taking biology into account. For instance a tongue-less race would not be able to create any labial sounds and so on.
:con: : Current Project

BTW I use Arch

Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » 14 Jul 2016 20:03

I once did a talk about the history of conlanging. It is in German, I hope you don't mind.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]

Qxentio
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Qxentio » 15 Jul 2016 14:49

OTheB wrote:I'd put something in about how they develop and split into daughter languages. Something about families of languages. I'd also put something in about creating phonologies whilst taking biology into account. For instance a tongue-less race would not be able to create any labial sounds and so on.
Those are interesting topics, but I don't know how far I can go into them. The talk will be about 20 minutes long, and I want to focus on languages that can be learned and used by human speakers.
Entish, as a very alien language, has already been covered by a different talk.
By the way, a tongueless race would very well be able of producing labial sounds ;)
Creyeditor wrote:It is in German, I hope you don't mind.
Thanks for sharing, I'll look into it for inspiration. Considering that this is my native language, I don't mind at all :)
Meine Muttersprache ist Deutsch. My second language is English. Olim discēbam Latinam. Sú ginévam Jagárhvejak. Opiskelen Suomea. Un ek kür en lütten Tick Platt.

OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » 15 Jul 2016 15:00

Qxentio wrote:By the way, a tongueless race would very well be able of producing labial sounds ;)
My bad. Lateral sounds? tap/flaps? I'm not one to reference the IPA correctly often if not at all [xP]
:con: : Current Project

BTW I use Arch

Qxentio
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Qxentio » 15 Jul 2016 15:05

OTheB wrote:
Qxentio wrote:By the way, a tongueless race would very well be able of producing labial sounds ;)
My bad. Lateral sounds? tap/flaps?
Basically, they wouldn't be capable of producing anything but labial and glottal sounds (at least the way we know them), because the human tongue is involved in almost all speech sounds, even vowels.