Interesting spectra and categories

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Post Reply
Hyolobrika
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 46
Joined: 19 Sep 2016 15:45
Location: le kibro gugde
Contact:

Interesting spectra and categories

Post by Hyolobrika » 02 Feb 2018 19:10

This is the thread for ways of organising the world/a conworld that are either totally new or exist in only a few languages (this includes ones you might expect most people here to already know)
EDIT:
Each category and spectrum is in its own paragraph. Commas delimit English concepts that are being conflated into a new one.
Two lines separated by the letter v indicate 2 points that define a spectrum.
culture, preference, human mind (as well?)
compounded to make distinctions like: individual vs collective

(without any negative connotations) concrete, physical, gnarly, rough, with connotations, with extras, 'impure'
v
(without any positive connotations) abstract, 'pure', unadorned
compound to make: real v ideal

lawa from Toki Pona: NOUN head,mind VERB to control, direct, guide, lead, own, plan, regulate, rule

many others from Toki Pona with some editing, for instance:
'mute' is the one that should have 'bountiful, plentiful' in it IMO, not 'ale'

original, raw, not 'refined' or changed

(to) light, turn on, emit, ('open' as well?), conceive, give birth

think up, make, design, create
doing this to matter = making
// to form = designing

rhythm, habit, routine, cycle
v
melody, storyline, arc, plot
Last edited by Hyolobrika on 11 Mar 2018 22:36, edited 4 times in total.

Hyolobrika
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 46
Joined: 19 Sep 2016 15:45
Location: le kibro gugde
Contact:

meta: Interesting spectra and categories

Post by Hyolobrika » 03 Feb 2018 01:57

Was it worth posting here?
What's the percentage of overlap here with the mailing list?

User avatar
shanoxilt
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 193
Joined: 30 May 2016 06:51

Re: meta: Interesting spectra and categories

Post by shanoxilt » 03 Feb 2018 23:11

Hyolobrika wrote:
03 Feb 2018 01:57
Was it worth posting here?
What's the percentage of overlap here with the mailing list?
You posted in incoherent sentence fragments, so nobody knows how to respond.
Click here to join the Common Honey server. Or click here for a general glossopoeia server.

Hyolobrika
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 46
Joined: 19 Sep 2016 15:45
Location: le kibro gugde
Contact:

Re: meta: Interesting spectra and categories

Post by Hyolobrika » 04 Feb 2018 10:26

shanoxilt wrote:
03 Feb 2018 23:11
Hyolobrika wrote:
03 Feb 2018 01:57
Was it worth posting here?
What's the percentage of overlap here with the mailing list?
You posted in incoherent sentence fragments, so nobody knows how to respond.
Each category and spectrum is in its own paragraph. Commas delimit English concepts that are being conflated into a new one.
Two lines separated by the letter v indicate 2 points that define a spectrum.
"//" means "[repeat the above]"

Better?

User avatar
Ser
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 78
Joined: 30 Jun 2012 06:13
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Re: meta: Interesting spectra and categories

Post by Ser » 04 Feb 2018 13:06

Hyolobrika wrote:
04 Feb 2018 10:26
Each category and spectrum is in its own paragraph. Commas delimit English concepts that are being conflated into a new one.
Two lines separated by the letter v indicate 2 points that define a spectrum.
"//" means "[repeat the above]"

Better?
Definitely better. Using "vs." and double quotes to repeat words above would've been even better, because they're much less ad hoc. Maybe also ~ instead of commas.

what ~ why (attested in Latin: quid)
nothing ~ not at all ~ for no reason ~ in vain (attested in Latin: nihil)

chest ~ breast ~ mind (i.e. place where you perceive feelings) (attested in Latin: pectus, in Classical Latin cor 'heart' is not used for this)

ribbon ~ (head)band ~ tapeworm ~ ribbonfish ~ a streak on paper ~ reef ~ movie, film (attested in Latin: taenia)

strike, give a blow, beat ~ knock [a door] ~ kill [with either one or many blows] ~ mint [coins] ~ reach agreement [on a contract, treaty] ~ trick [sb], cheat (attested in Latin: ferio, and in Romance languages the prototype often evolved into 'wound [sb], injure' )

drive [cattle, sheep] ~ lead [men in the army] ~ guide [captured slaves] ~ move [sth] as a leader (e.g. get a construction project going, steer/pilot a boat, get the siege engines to move) ~ act (as opposed to being idle), do things, accomplish things ~ fare, do (intransitive: be doing these days in general) ~ excite [sb], stir up, rouse (attested in Latin: ago)

open ~ start, begin ~ turn on ~ drive [a vehicle] ~ boil [sth] ~ give [a medical prescription, invoice, cheque...] (attested in Mandarin: 开 kai1)

Salmoneus
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1633
Joined: 19 Sep 2011 19:37

Re: Interesting spectra and categories

Post by Salmoneus » 04 Feb 2018 16:50

I still have no idea what this thread is about.

User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3512
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: meta: Interesting spectra and categories

Post by elemtilas » 04 Feb 2018 18:04

Hyolobrika wrote:
03 Feb 2018 01:57
Was it worth posting here?
What's the percentage of overlap here with the mailing list?
So, what did this actually mean?

For preference, in English?

Perhaps an actual introduction along with actual explanation would be nice.

Also: what mailing list are you referring to? CBB isn't affiliated with any mailing lists that I'm aware of.
Image

User avatar
alynnidalar
roman
roman
Posts: 1035
Joined: 17 Aug 2014 03:22
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Interesting spectra and categories

Post by alynnidalar » 05 Feb 2018 16:53

Presumably OP is referring to the CONLANG-L mailing list, the largest and most notable mailing list associated with the English conlanging community.

User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3512
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: Interesting spectra and categories

Post by elemtilas » 05 Feb 2018 19:05

alynnidalar wrote:
05 Feb 2018 16:53
Presumably OP is referring to the CONLANG-L mailing list, the largest and most notable mailing list associated with the English conlanging community.
Very likely. Since she mentioned Toki Pona so much, I didn't want to assume in case there was some T.P. mailing list being referred to.
Image

User avatar
Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 3722
Joined: 25 Nov 2012 10:13
Location: Carnassus

Re: Interesting spectra and categories

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 08 Feb 2018 09:32

I still haven't the foggiest idea what is going on in the OP, or what types of responses would be appropriate?
Image

User avatar
gestaltist
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1796
Joined: 11 Feb 2015 11:23

Re: Interesting spectra and categories

Post by gestaltist » 08 Feb 2018 11:26

I'm not on any mailing list and I also still don't understand what this thread is about.

It feels like you perhaps want to talk about conceptual metaphors?

Hyolobrika
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 46
Joined: 19 Sep 2016 15:45
Location: le kibro gugde
Contact:

Re: Interesting spectra and categories

Post by Hyolobrika » 10 Feb 2018 09:20

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
08 Feb 2018 09:32
I still haven't the foggiest idea what is going on in the OP, or what types of responses would be appropriate?
How can the world be organised to speak and/or think about it?
That is the question.
gestaltist wrote:
08 Feb 2018 11:26
It feels like you perhaps want to talk about conceptual metaphors?
Partly. If we are using metaphors they aren't to be contrasted with the things they are a metaphor of. You're supposed to find a new category that includes both the metaphor and the thing.
Last edited by Hyolobrika on 24 Feb 2018 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gestaltist
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1796
Joined: 11 Feb 2015 11:23

Re: Interesting spectra and categories

Post by gestaltist » 10 Feb 2018 23:45

Hyolobrika wrote:
10 Feb 2018 09:20
gestaltist wrote:
08 Feb 2018 11:26
It feels like you perhaps want to talk about conceptual metaphors?
Partly. If we are using metaphors they aren't to be contrasted with the things they are a metaphor of. You're supposed to find a new category that includes both the metaphor and the thing.
Thanks for the answer. Not that I'm any less confused. What would be an example of "a new category that includes both the metaphor and the thing." TBH, it sounds a bit like mambo-jambo at the moment.

Hyolobrika
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 46
Joined: 19 Sep 2016 15:45
Location: le kibro gugde
Contact:

Re: Interesting spectra and categories

Post by Hyolobrika » 11 Feb 2018 16:30

gestaltist wrote:
10 Feb 2018 23:45
Hyolobrika wrote:
10 Feb 2018 09:20
gestaltist wrote:
08 Feb 2018 11:26
It feels like you perhaps want to talk about conceptual metaphors?
Partly. If we are using metaphors they aren't to be contrasted with the things they are a metaphor of. You're supposed to find a new category that includes both the metaphor and the thing.
Thanks for the answer. Not that I'm any less confused. What would be an example of "a new category that includes both the metaphor and the thing." TBH, it sounds a bit like mambo-jambo at the moment.
You don't need to understand that bit. Did the rest of what I said make sense to you?

User avatar
gestaltist
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1796
Joined: 11 Feb 2015 11:23

Re: Interesting spectra and categories

Post by gestaltist » 11 Feb 2018 20:19

Hyolobrika wrote:
11 Feb 2018 16:30
gestaltist wrote:
10 Feb 2018 23:45
Hyolobrika wrote:
10 Feb 2018 09:20
gestaltist wrote:
08 Feb 2018 11:26
It feels like you perhaps want to talk about conceptual metaphors?
Partly. If we are using metaphors they aren't to be contrasted with the things they are a metaphor of. You're supposed to find a new category that includes both the metaphor and the thing.
Thanks for the answer. Not that I'm any less confused. What would be an example of "a new category that includes both the metaphor and the thing." TBH, it sounds a bit like mambo-jambo at the moment.
You don't need to understand that bit. Did the rest of what I said make sense to you?
Not really. If it did, I wouldn't have to ask you. Also: I feel it's a bit discourteous to respond with "you don't need to understand that bit." Why did you say it to me in the first place if you don't care if I understand?

Hyolobrika
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 46
Joined: 19 Sep 2016 15:45
Location: le kibro gugde
Contact:

Re: Interesting spectra and categories

Post by Hyolobrika » 13 Feb 2018 15:41

I meant that that sentence was not essential for understanding the rest.

P.s. my email provider makes my notifications really late

Hyolobrika
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 46
Joined: 19 Sep 2016 15:45
Location: le kibro gugde
Contact:

Re: Interesting spectra and categories

Post by Hyolobrika » 05 Mar 2018 12:13

I was talking about concepts I don't know words for by talking about the similarities between concepts I know words for and the concepts I don't know words for are formed from those similarities.

Hyolobrika
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 46
Joined: 19 Sep 2016 15:45
Location: le kibro gugde
Contact:

Re: Interesting spectra and categories

Post by Hyolobrika » 05 Mar 2018 12:22

Hyolobrika wrote:
02 Feb 2018 19:10
rhythm, habit, routine, cycle
v
melody, storyline, arc, plot
Rhythm is habit in music, habit is rhythm in daily life.
It is as a concept opposed to the concept of the arc of things. Like the arc of a song or a story (storyline). Sorry if you don't know what I mean by 'arc', I wasn't sure what other word to use.
Etc

User avatar
shanoxilt
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 193
Joined: 30 May 2016 06:51

Re: Interesting spectra and categories

Post by shanoxilt » 11 Mar 2018 06:16

I still think this has potential, but I have nothing yet to contribute.
Click here to join the Common Honey server. Or click here for a general glossopoeia server.

Hyolobrika
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 46
Joined: 19 Sep 2016 15:45
Location: le kibro gugde
Contact:

Re: meta: Interesting spectra and categories

Post by Hyolobrika » 11 Mar 2018 15:31

Ser wrote:
04 Feb 2018 13:06
open ~ start, begin ~ turn on ~ drive [a vehicle] ~ boil [sth] ~ give [a medical prescription, invoice, cheque...] (attested in Mandarin: 开 kai1)
I can see the logic behind the other ones (apart from quid) but not this one. Could you explain it please if you can?

Post Reply