The Esseintial Ch’eweyõw̌e Blog

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

The Esseintial Ch’eweyõw̌e Blog

Post by DesEsseintes » 07 Jun 2019 18:38

Welcome to the Esseintial Ch’eweyõw̌e Blog!

In here I’m going to scribble tidbits about a new conlang of mine called, you guessed it, Ch’eweyõw̌e. It’s great, so read on!

I’m probably going to just present whatever I’m thinking about. This is all very new and up in the air, so things will be in flux. And that’s the fun bit, right?

Predictably enough, I’ll start with the phonology.

Phonology

There are 29 phonemic consonants, including 5 ejective stops, 4 glottalised continuants, and three clicks.

/m n/ m n
/mˀ nˀ/ m̌ ň
/p t t͡s t͡ʃ k ʔ/ p t c ch k ‘/’
/p’ t’ t͡s’ t͡ʃ’ k’/ p’ t’ c’ ch’ k’
/ʘ ǀ ǁ/ cp’ ct’ cc’
/s ʃ x h/ s sh x h
/z ʒ ɣ/ z zh g
/j w/ y w
/jˀ wˀ/ y̌ w̌

There are five phonemic oral vowels, all of which can occur short or long, and two nasalised vowels that are always realised long. There are no diphthongs.

/a e i o u/ a e i o u
/aː eː iː oː uː/ á é í ó ú
/ãː õː/ ã õ

Notes on Distributions:
* The coronal stops t t’ and the palatoalveolars ch ch’ sh zh do not occur before the high vowels i u.
* The glottal stop can occur word-initially, where it is written <‘>, and after the vowel a word-medially, where it is written <’>.
* Notes on yV and wV syllables: 1) The syllables yi wu only occur as a result of glide excrescence word-initially and intermorphemically; 2) The syllable wo and the glottalised syllables y̌i w̌o w̌u only occur as result of glide excrescence intermorphemically; 3) wi, albeit rare, is a fully phonemic sequence.

Notes on Phonotactics
* All syllables have an onset and a nucleus. Zero onset is not allowed in any position. Hiatus therefore does not occur.
* The maximal onset is CG where G is one of w y. Combinations of glide and vowel after a consonant are restricted to wa we ya ye yo after a consonant.
* Words cannot start in a vowel; if a vowel-initial morpheme is found word-initially, one of y w g is prepended to the word. Note that words can start in a glottal stop.
* Words normally end in a vowel, but there are notable exceptions. Currently, permissible word-final consonants are limited to c ch s sh x z zh.
* There are no word-medial codas, and therefore no consonant clusters except across word boundaries.

I’ve probably left out lots of stuff, so do ask if anything or everything is unclear.

I’ll post about morphophonology next. Maybe tomorrow. I should probably also discuss the clicks and their realisations. Soon. Maybe.
Last edited by DesEsseintes on 08 Jun 2019 06:25, edited 1 time in total.

Micamo
MVP
MVP

Re: The Esseintial Ch’eweyõw̌e Blog

Post by Micamo » 07 Jun 2019 18:53

I've been awake for 48 hours but

SCOTS
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 08 Jun 2019 06:48

I’ve no idea how to interpret Darth Micamo’s mystifying comment and shall therefore move swiftly on. Onwards say I!

Th’Aesthetic

I completely forgot to include sample words in my last post. Let’s remedy that. Here’s a meaningless sample:

Yay̌á’oc wonõzhe ‘ãxu yaswéye ct’ókyeňe. Néy̌inu ‘icc’yápe yohõt’e ‘iyeyõ ‘awap’yõ gám̌e ha’ézh hów̌osh.

And here are some words that actually have meanings assigned to them:

cuyòno - knife
niwõt’a - friends
wowõt’áy̌e - friendship

Musings about my Phonology Choices

This phonology was actually initially inspired by Siouan languages like Lakhota and the “looseness” of their long, stringy words. I wanted a lot of open syllables and a profusion of intervocalic glides. I also wanted a lot of n h. To break it up a bit, I decided to have glottalised continuants which are a favourite of mine. The ejectives followed quite naturally from that.

My initial sketches had a plain lateral and a glottalised lateral /l lˀ/ which I then rejected in favour of rhotics /ɾ ɾˀ/ mostly because I couldn’t put a háček on an l. However, I subsequently decided not to include any liquids. One reason is that my early sketches of the Híí languages contained no liquids, but I later completely caved in and they now proliferate in Híí and Limestone. This time I’m going to be strong!

Seriously, Des? Three Nooby Clicks?

The clicks came later. I’ve been wanting to do clicks for ages, but I’d never been able to think of a way to romanise them without violent paroxysms of self-loathing.

This time, c came to the rescue!

I noticed early on when sketching this language that I really liked mixing c c’ ch ch’ with my ws and ys. I then suddenly thought of using c as a click “prefix”, giving:

cp - bilabial click
ct - dental click
cc - lateral click

I love this! So now I have clicks. Yay, rakkī. But only three of them.

...which feels a bit nooby despite natlang copouts like Sesotho. Therefore, I’ve come up with some allophony for them which gives me six realisations.

* The default realisation is glottalised [ʘˀ ǀˀ ǁˀ], and this glottalisation is indicated in the orthography as cp’ ct’ cc’
* However, following one of the nasal vowels ã õ, clicks are nasalised and unglottalised [ʘ̃ |̃ ‖̃] and so written cp ct cc (the preceding vowel already marks the nasalisation, so I felt it unnecessary to indicate it again).

This is still probably nothing like how clicks work in natlangs, but I like it.

More later.

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 08 Jun 2019 17:21

Some Morphophonology
Time for Tame Morfofo

As some of you may know, I love the morfofo. (That rhymed! And it’s in iambic hexameter!) Nevertheless, I must say that the open syllables and general feel of this language have made me want to keep the morfofo quite tame this time. That’s not to say there isn’t plenty of it; it just doesn’t perform any acrobatics, nor does it do silly Híí things like g → ch.

So let’s start looking at some of the more general principles. I don’t want to write long posts, so I’m going to do this in snippets. Hopefully, I will later on deal with morfofo specific to certain aspects of the grammar, such as certain prefixes and suffixes. Provided I actually come up with any.

Palatalisation

I’m going to start with palatalisation. There are two active palatalisation processes. The first sees the palatalisation of Cy clusters where C is a coronal stop, affricate, or fricative.

{t c} {t’ c’} s z + y → ch ch’ sh zh

The second process has coronal stops undergo affrication before high vowels.

t t’ → c c’ / _{i u}

It’s worth reiterating in relation to this that ch ch’ sh zh do not occur before high vowels. Similarly, the only permissible yV sequences after a consonant are ya ye yo. It is therefore perfectly plausible to analyse all instances of ch ch’ sh zh as underlying Cy sequences.

Examples:

tát’ + yo → tách’o
s + yekèy̌a → shekèy̌a
t + uyòno → cuyòno

Fun fact: the word cuyòno knife, which has already been mentioned twice in this thread, was inspired by the username of Tuyono on this board. I always liked the euphony of that nick, so I decided to use it, slightly modified, as a word in Ch’eweyõw̌e. I always like to have a nice word for knife for some reason. Must be my bloodthirsty nature.

I know this isn’t much, but I’m suddenly feeling extremely lazy. More tomorrow!

Tuyono
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Tuyono » 08 Jun 2019 21:38

This is all very cool! A phonology full of "weird" sounds (like clicks and glottalised continuants) often makes me feel lost if it's the first thing I read about the language, but the way you present it is quite easy to understand. I'll definitely follow this thread, thanks for sharing :)
DesEsseintes wrote:
07 Jun 2019 18:38
* The maximal onset is CG where G is one of w y. Combinations of glide and vowel after a consonant are restricted to wa we ya ye yo after a consonant.
Interesting! This limitation makes sense in a way I can't define. Also, I wonder why yo is allowed but wo isn't.
DesEsseintes wrote:
Currently, permissible word-final consonants are limited to c ch s sh x z zh.
So there isn't total symmetry between x and g. Also interesting!
DesEsseintes wrote:
08 Jun 2019 17:21
Fun fact: the word cuyòno knife, which has already been mentioned twice in this thread, was inspired by the username of Tuyono on this board. I always liked the euphony of that nick, so I decided to use it, slightly modified, as a word in Ch’eweyõw̌e. I always like to have a nice word for knife for some reason. Must be my bloodthirsty nature.
This made me laugh [:D] And I love the fact that you want the word for knife to be pretty.
Spoiler:
Tuyono originally means Bird-Person in my first, terrible conlang Somiy'a. Must be my peacefull nature.

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 12 Jun 2019 09:33

Thanks for your comments, Tuyono. [:)]
Tuyono wrote:
08 Jun 2019 21:38
This is all very cool! [...]quite easy to understand. I'll definitely follow this thread, thanks for sharing :)
Thanks! Good to know it’s not an indecipherable mess.
DesEsseintes wrote:
wa we ya ye yo
I wonder why yo is allowed but wo isn't.
I decided not to distinguish o wo after consonants for several reasons: I find it naturalistic to have more distinctions involving front vowels; I don’t want w to be as frequent as y; and I personally don’t feel very comfortable distinguishing Co Cwo.

Also, I’m glad you weren’t upset at my twisting your nick for my own evil ends. :mrgreen:

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 12 Jun 2019 09:58

A Sinister Plot is Hatched...

Remember how I said there weren’t going to be any consonant clusters apart from those CG onsets (which barely even count)? You probably don’t, but I do. Well, I’ve thought of a splendid way to cheat!

I’m considering analysing m n as glides and therefore eligible for the G position in onsets. That way I get much of Cm Cn. Let’s try some word forms:

cnéne
‘ayózhmu
wok’nóto

I don’t see a reason not to love these. Consider this very likely.
Edit: I decided against this in the end.
Last edited by DesEsseintes on 08 Aug 2019 05:04, edited 1 time in total.

gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » 12 Jun 2019 11:49

Due to sonority hierarchy, it'd be likely for clusters with liquids to also be allowed in that case. What are your thoughts on that?

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 12 Jun 2019 12:14

gestaltist wrote:
12 Jun 2019 11:49
Due to sonority hierarchy, it'd be likely for clusters with liquids to also be allowed in that case. What are your thoughts on that?
Since liquids do not occur in Ch’eweyõw̌e, this shouldn’t be a problem. [:D]

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 07 Aug 2019 20:02

I’m going to revive this by posting two updates:

1. Lateral approximants are back in! There is a plain lateral and a glottalised one, i.e. /l lˀ/. Since a háček won’t comfortably sit atop an ell, I’m romanising these l l’. The laterals do not cluster, unlike /j w/, and therefore constitute a separate class within the phonology.

2. Despite my initial enthusiasm, I’ve decided against allowing CN clusters.

I hope reviving this thread will help me forget that I’m hopelessly in love. Again.
Spoiler:
Said love is requited; it’s a distance issue.