Lexiconga, the quick & simple dictionary builder, has been updated! (New features added July 15, 2019)

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Alamantus
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Lexiconga, the quick & simple dictionary builder, has been updated! (New features added July 15, 2019)

Post by Alamantus » 01 Jul 2019 19:21

Update (July 15, 2019)
New features have been released! Check the most recent post for more details! [:D]

Original Post
Hey there! Several years ago, I first posted on this forum about my new tool for easily creating and sharing word lists and dictionaries for your conlang. That same tool tool has been re-written from the ground up to make adding new features and managing things much easier for me. That means updates and new helpful tools will be coming to you faster than ever!

Lexiconga is already used by hundreds of conlangers (including yours truly). It provides a sleeker, easier-to-manage-and-search interface than a spreadsheet list of words and a faster, simpler alternative to heavier tools like ConWorkShop (which definitely still has a place for heavy-duty linguistics work). If you could use a quick and easy tool for building and sharing dictionaries or especially if you're still using spreadsheets to build and manage your conlang, you owe it to yourself to check it out!

Lexiconga:
  • is completely free to use,
  • makes it easy to import your existing word lists,
  • is very fast on major web browsers and is mobile-friendly,
  • makes it easy to type your IPA pronunciations for words,
  • lets you specify whatever parts of speech you want,
  • gives you a variety of ways to search and filter your words,
  • makes it easy to inter-link word references,
  • can be used even if you don't have internet access and takes an offline-first approach to saving data,
  • makes your dictionaries accessible from any device and publicly shareable (if you create an account, which is not required),
  • and has a nice list of features like custom alphabetical order and custom CSS styling that have been recently implemented with more on the way!
If you have any questions (or suggestions), please let me know, and I'll answer them as I am able!
Last edited by Alamantus on 15 Jul 2019 17:58, edited 3 times in total.
Image Zirka – My Cypherlang Image Gobahai – My Conlang Image Lexiconga – My Dictionary Builder
Image Alamantus GameDev – My Game Development

Alamantus
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: Lexiconga, the quick & simple dictionary builder, has been updated!

Post by Alamantus » 15 Jul 2019 17:40

The first wave of new features has gone live!

The new features include:
  • Custom Alphabetical Order: Specify the order you want your words to appear in.
  • Orthographic Translations: Change one character or set of characters into any other (useful for typing romanization and displaying your conlang's spelling)
  • Custom Styling: Use CSS to modify your dictionary's style beyond color themes. This can be used to show custom conscript fonts! (See this blog post for instructions!)
  • Additional "Notes" fields for the Details section: Each section in Details now has a notes section, including Phonology.
This update also includes a collection of bug fixes and minor improvements. You can see the full details in the release notes if you're interested.

If you have any suggestions or requests for new features, please don't hesitate to add them to the Issues list so I can know what will be most helpful! I'd also appreciate it very much if you report any bugs or problems you might come across to the same place so I can fix them as quickly as possible.

Thanks! I hope Lexiconga can be helpful to some of you! [:D]
Image Zirka – My Cypherlang Image Gobahai – My Conlang Image Lexiconga – My Dictionary Builder

Reyzadren
greek
greek

Re: Lexiconga, the quick & simple dictionary builder, has been updated! (New features added July 15, 2019)

Post by Reyzadren » 18 Jul 2019 15:32

Having CSS for custom conscript fonts is a very excellent feature! [+1] (Most sites just don't understand how important this is)

I would definitely recommend this website to other conlangers with conscripts. Unfortunately, I don't need a dictionary app so I won't use your site for now, but I will follow it for updates just in case if you add more "community"-like features, such as discussion forums, wikis, challenges, collaborations etc, sign me up.
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang

Alamantus
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: Lexiconga, the quick & simple dictionary builder, has been updated! (New features added July 15, 2019)

Post by Alamantus » 18 Jul 2019 17:39

Yeah, support for custom fonts was one of the things I saw most that no other tool I had see could do yet, and CSS was by far the easiest way to implement it!

Community features is unfortunately one of the things that's decidedly out of scope for Lexiconga. I built it as a tool by itself, but I could definitely see the blog branching out to start building a community. A forum and wiki wouldn't be very tricky to set up, though the existing communities like this forum, Reddit, and even ConWorkShop are definitely way more built up and would undoubtedly be more engaging than anything new I would build!
At some point I'd love to add collaboration support so two people could work on the same dictionary at once, but that's probably a long way off if I ever get to it.