Discussing basic vocabulary

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
dva_arla
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: Discussing basic vocabulary

Post by dva_arla » 30 Oct 2019 12:45

Forgive me for asking this stupid question; does anybody know of a tool to compile / turn into a pdf the LaTex document posted by Tanni on the first post of this thread? Even LaTex is too advanced for me; so please explain in laymen's terms. Thanks in advance.

Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni » 30 Oct 2019 15:03

dva_arla wrote:
30 Oct 2019 12:45
Forgive me for asking this stupid question; does anybody know of a tool to compile / turn into a pdf the LaTex document posted by Tanni on the first post of this thread? Even LaTex is too advanced for me; so please explain in laymen's terms. Thanks in advance.
If you like, I can help you learning the basics of LaTeX, so you can compile that source text. You can download LaTeX here. It is part of the MiKTeX distribution. Send me a personal message.
My neurochemistry has fucked my impulse control, now I'm diagnosed OOD = oppositional opinion disorder, one of the most deadly diseases in totalitarian states, but can be cured in the free world.

k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » 01 Nov 2019 20:02

I have made a reference list of basic vocabulary, which is an combination of Nerrière's Globish list, the Basic English combined wordlist of Simple English wikipedia(the Basic English combined wordlist is itself an extension of Ogden's Basic English list) and the Swadesh list. Which ended up giving around 2,600+ words, and some have said that it is "modern-oriented", I guess the modernity stems from the academic words in the Basic English combined wordlist and maybe several words in the Nerrière's Globish list.

Also, from my experience working on a collablang with 15,000+ CWS entries(I did almost everything about the vocabulary, though), you actually need only less than or around 2,000 roots to derive almost every word you need, and it is said that within the vocabulary of Yupik there are no more than two thousand roots and around four hundred lexical suffixes, but they can be combined to create meanings that in most languages are expressed by multiple free morphemes.
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.