(Conlangs) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Re: (Conlangs) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by clawgrip » 11 Oct 2016 06:27

French has the interrogative adjective quel/quelle/quelles, which functions similarly to what you describe, e.g. quelle robe "which dress", quel jour "which/what day", though it has the noun quoi as well, so the other functions you mentioned are handled differently.

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 11 Oct 2016 06:36

I've always thought of (modifier) "what" and "quel" as determiners, rather than adjectives. For example, in both English and French, nouns modified by adjectives can also take articles (e.g. the old car, la vieille voiture). But a noun modified by "what" or "quel" can't take an article (e.g. *the what car? *la quelle voiture?).

HoskhMatriarch
mayan
mayan

Post by HoskhMatriarch » 11 Oct 2016 08:29

Dormouse559 wrote:I've always thought of (modifier) "what" and "quel" as determiners, rather than adjectives. For example, in both English and French, nouns modified by adjectives can also take articles (e.g. the old car, la vieille voiture). But a noun modified by "what" or "quel" can't take an article (e.g. *the what car? *la quelle voiture?).
Well, in English it can take a determiner, although it doesn't mean the same thing (asking about an adjective, maybe only as an echo question).
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 11 Oct 2016 11:11

Dormouse559 wrote:I've always thought of (modifier) "what" and "quel" as determiners, rather than adjectives. For example, in both English and French, nouns modified by adjectives can also take articles (e.g. the old car, la vieille voiture). But a noun modified by "what" or "quel" can't take an article (e.g. *the what car? *la quelle voiture?).
I also always thought of "what" as a determiner since it has an etymological relationship with "that" and behaves similarly.
He saw what?
He saw that.
What man over where?
That man over there.
I also think determiners have some sort of definiteness which is why they don't make sense to use definite articles with.
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » 11 Oct 2016 12:19

Syntactically it patterns with determiners, but morphologically it patterns with adjectives, so a bit of a mix.

Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil » 11 Oct 2016 20:31

I just want to confirm I am understanding something correctly. Is the following correct?

"The cat caught the mouse"
Cat = agent and subject
Mouse = patient and object

"The mouse was caught by the cat"
Cat = agent and object
Mouse = patient and subject

Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » 11 Oct 2016 21:29

Nachtuil wrote:I just want to confirm I am understanding something correctly. Is the following correct?

"The cat caught the mouse"
Cat = agent and subject

Cat = agent and object
Yes.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 11 Oct 2016 21:40

The last one the cat is the oblique, not really object.

Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » 11 Oct 2016 21:46

Nachtuil wrote:I just want to confirm I am understanding something correctly. Is the following correct?"The cat caught the mouse"
Cat = agent and subject
Yes.
Nachtuil wrote:"The mouse was caught by the cat"
Cat = agent and object
No. Instead:

Cat = agent and optional oblique/adjunct/adverbial
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]

Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil » 12 Oct 2016 05:14

Ok thank you guys. I really need into those terms. This hobby is wonderful for learning terminology! :P
Are there incidents in English where the agent is the object or is that just impossible by definition?

Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem » 12 Oct 2016 06:01

So does that mean that a language that explicitly marks the Patient and Agent, there's not really a need for a passive? In other words, if you just indicate the verb and the Patient, and leave out the Agent (adjusting word order because cases are marked), does that effectively become a passive, then?

Or do languages just not actually mark things quite that way?
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian

gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » 12 Oct 2016 09:41

Axiem wrote:So does that mean that a language that explicitly marks the Patient and Agent, there's not really a need for a passive? In other words, if you just indicate the verb and the Patient, and leave out the Agent (adjusting word order because cases are marked), does that effectively become a passive, then?

According to WALS, less than half of the languages have a passive construction: http://wals.info/chapter/107.

Makes me want to remove the passive from Tisisito now...

k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » 12 Oct 2016 10:02

gestaltist wrote:
Axiem wrote:So does that mean that a language that explicitly marks the Patient and Agent, there's not really a need for a passive? In other words, if you just indicate the verb and the Patient, and leave out the Agent (adjusting word order because cases are marked), does that effectively become a passive, then?

According to WALS, less than half of the languages have a passive construction: http://wals.info/chapter/107.

The Lonmai Luna particle ala is not valence-decreasing, it simply inverses the theta roles of the subject and the direct object, and recently I have re-assigned it as an inverse mark, along with the retirement of the topic marker alo, as a result, Lonmai Luna is now a direct-inverse language

clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » 12 Oct 2016 13:37

The basic purpose of the passive voice is to remove focus from the agent and place it on the patient or some other similar argument. If a language has some way of shifting focus away from the agent, such as changing word order, explicit topocalization, or by dropping the agent, then the passive voice becomes less necessary.

Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » 12 Oct 2016 14:13

gestaltist wrote:

There are several reasons why your language might not really "need" a passive. One is topic-prominence: in topic-prominent languages when a passive is present (e.g. in Chinese/Japanese) it is frequently used to indicate adverse effect, and many such languages (eg. Lakhota) lack the passive altogether.

Ergative syntax is another way to forgo the passive, as the transitive patient is already unmarked.

Removing the passive is also easy to achieve using heirarchical morphosyntactic-alignment, most famously used in Algonquian, but also present in Southern Wakashan and rGyalrongic languages, among others.

clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » 12 Oct 2016 15:49

Can you explain or provide an explanation of this? It seems interesting, but I am not familiar with it or the languages that use it.

Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem » 12 Oct 2016 16:12

I...may have solved my "how do I do a passive in Kuvian?" problem. As a language that already marks case on the noun into Absolutive, Agentive, and Patientive and uses word order for emphasis, I may just be able to poke things a little to do what I want.

This makes me happy [:D]
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 12 Oct 2016 17:00

Is it necessarily Arabic/Semitic to have a fused superlative and comparative adjective?

HoskhMatriarch
mayan
mayan

Post by HoskhMatriarch » 12 Oct 2016 17:24

If it is possible to do in a non-Arabic/Semitic language, then no. I would just go light on the Arabic stuff if I didn't want my language to be a clone of Arabic.

@Frislander Ergativity doesn't make you not need a passive, since it's about the subject, not semantic roles. Ergativity isn't really a consistent thing though.
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 12 Oct 2016 17:31

Well the problem is is that Arabic is the only language with a fused superlative and comparative in so far as I know because there could be other languages but I don't know them. Thus I cannot determine its Arabicness.