(Conlangs) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Re: (Conlangs) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by felipesnark » 20 Jun 2017 00:26

I'm considering a change in my phonological processes.

Right now among others:
/y/ + /i/ > /wi/
/ø/ + /i/ > /y/
/y/ + /u/ > /wo/ (there is an intermediate step of /wu/ > /wo/)
/ø/ + /u/ > /y/

These changes are important for outcomes in the nominal and verbal morphology (mainly the formation of certain plurals and perfect stems).

If /ø/ comes from historic */eu/, and if /y/ comes from historic */iu/, then perhaps...

/y/ + /i/ > /iwi/
/ø/ + /i/ > /ewi/
/y/ + /u/ > /iwo/
/ø/ + /u/ > /ewo/

Thoughts?
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs including Shonkasika: http://felipesnark.weebly.com/ It's a work in progress!

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 20 Jun 2017 00:52

felipesnark wrote:I'm considering a change in my phonological processes.

Right now among others:
/y/ + /i/ > /wi/
/ø/ + /i/ > /y/
/ø/ + /u/ > /y/

These changes are important for outcomes in the nominal and verbal morphology (mainly the formation of certain plurals and perfect stems).

If /ø/ comes from historic */eu/, and if /y/ comes from historic */iu/, then perhaps...

/y/ + /i/ > /iwi/
/ø/ + /i/ > /ewi/
/y/ + /u/ > /iwo/
/ø/ + /u/ > /ewo/

Thoughts?
You could, in theory, have both. The original sound change, i.e. /eu iu/ > /ø y/ before a consonant or word-finally and /u/ > /w/ between vowels could happen first, and then this sound change could stop being productive. Some process could then lead to /ø y/ being followed by other vowels (either compounding or the development of a new affix or the like), and that's where /yi øi yu øu/ > /wi y wo y/ could kick in.

This would mean that some instances of /y/+/i/ would result in /iwi/ while others would result in /wi/. I can't think of a natlang example right now, but I think Slavic palatalisation and Germanic umlaut had similarly "timed" changes where certain sounds in certain environments would change in one way, then later on, those new sounds and remaining older ones, under the same environment, would change in a second way.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark » 20 Jun 2017 01:47

sangi39 wrote:

Right now among others:
/y/ + /i/ > /wi/
/ø/ + /i/ > /y/
/ø/ + /u/ > /y/

/y/ + /i/ > /iwi/
/ø/ + /i/ > /ewi/
/y/ + /u/ > /iwo/
/ø/ + /u/ > /ewo/

Thoughts?
You could, in theory, have both. The original sound change, i.e. /eu iu/ > /ø y/ before a consonant or word-finally and /u/ > /w/ between vowels could happen first, and then this sound change could stop being productive. Some process could then lead to /ø y/ being followed by other vowels (either compounding or the development of a new affix or the like), and that's where /yi øi yu øu/ > /wi y wo y/ could kick in.

This would mean that some instances of /y/+/i/ would result in /iwi/ while others would result in /wi/. I can't think of a natlang example right now, but I think Slavic palatalisation and Germanic umlaut had similarly "timed" changes where certain sounds in certain environments would change in one way, then later on, those new sounds and remaining older ones, under the same environment, would change in a second way.
Thank you. This is helpful.
How about this?
The second set of outcomes are the historic sound changes, which have fossilized as regular alternations in verb paradigms and noun declensions:
/y/ + /i/ > /iwi/
/ø/ + /i/ > /ewi/
/y/ + /u/ > /iwo/
/ø/ + /u/ > /ewo/

For example, a regular singular noun ending in -/y/ forms its plural in -/iwi/ regardless of when it entered the language.

New(er) compounds, forming new nouns, verbs, and adjectives from existing words, show the first set of outcomes:
/y/ + /i/ > /wi/
/ø/ + /i/ > /y/
/y/ + /u/ > /wo/
/ø/ + /u/ > /y/
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs including Shonkasika: http://felipesnark.weebly.com/ It's a work in progress!

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 20 Jun 2017 01:52

felipesnark wrote:
sangi39 wrote:

Right now among others:
/y/ + /i/ > /wi/
/ø/ + /i/ > /y/
/ø/ + /u/ > /y/

/y/ + /i/ > /iwi/
/ø/ + /i/ > /ewi/
/y/ + /u/ > /iwo/
/ø/ + /u/ > /ewo/

Thoughts?

Thank you. This is helpful.
How about this?
The second set of outcomes are the historic sound changes, which have fossilized as regular alternations in verb paradigms and noun declensions:
/y/ + /i/ > /iwi/
/ø/ + /i/ > /ewi/
/y/ + /u/ > /iwo/
/ø/ + /u/ > /ewo/

For example, a regular singular noun ending in -/y/ forms its plural in -/iwi/ regardless of when it entered the language.

New(er) compounds, forming new nouns, verbs, and adjectives from existing words, show the first set of outcomes:
/y/ + /i/ > /wi/
/ø/ + /i/ > /y/
/y/ + /u/ > /wo/
/ø/ + /u/ > /y/
I think that could work [:)]
Just one time.

felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark » 20 Jun 2017 02:01

sangi39 wrote: I think that could work [:)]
Thanks a bunch! [:)]

All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn » 20 Jun 2017 20:39

Hopefully I'm not asking too many questions on here but what are some elements of Turkish grammar that you guys think would make its way into a Romance language spoken in Turkey and heavily influenced by Turkish especially in regards to case and suffixes?

Omzinesý
runic
runic

Post by Omzinesý » 20 Jun 2017 21:52

All4Ɇn wrote:Hopefully I'm not asking too many questions on here but what are some elements of Turkish grammar that you guys think would make its way into a Romance language spoken in Turkey and heavily influenced by Turkish especially in regards to case and suffixes?
I already linked https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cappadocian_Greek I guess the features could appear in a Romlang as well.

All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn » 20 Jun 2017 23:28

Omzinesý wrote:
All4Ɇn wrote:Hopefully I'm not asking too many questions on here but what are some elements of Turkish grammar that you guys think would make its way into a Romance language spoken in Turkey and heavily influenced by Turkish especially in regards to case and suffixes?
I already linked https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cappadocian_Greek I guess the features could appear in a Romlang as well.
I wish I had seen this earlier. Definitely getting some great ideas from this [:D] . This does lead to a question that I'm almost certain has already been asked before, how would a language derived from vulgar latin maintain most case distinctions? Or is the simple answer to that question that they can't?

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 20 Jun 2017 23:38

All4Ɇn wrote:
Omzinesý wrote:
I wish I had seen this earlier. Definitely getting some great ideas from this [:D] . This does lead to a question that I'm almost certain has already been asked before, how would a language derived from vulgar latin maintain most case distinctions? Or is the simple answer to that question that they can't?
Do a Romanian and affix the definite marker to the word
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 21 Jun 2017 04:02

Is there some sound law where voiceless consonants become voiced while aspirated voiceless become unaspirated?
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Śāt Wērxālu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 21 Jun 2017 09:56

That sounds like simple lenition to me, plus a chain shift. As for sound laws, aren't those language-specific?

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 21 Jun 2017 10:16

Dormouse559 wrote:That sounds like simple lenition to me, plus a chain shift. As for sound laws, aren't those language-specific?
No?

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 21 Jun 2017 10:34

Ahzoh wrote:
Dormouse559 wrote:That sounds like simple lenition to me, plus a chain shift. As for sound laws, aren't those language-specific?
No?
No what?

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 21 Jun 2017 10:35

For the second part, your question.

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 21 Jun 2017 11:00

Ahzoh wrote:Is there some sound law where voiceless consonants become voiced while aspirated voiceless become unaspirated?
What's the syllable structure of the language in question? If it's strictly CV or sth like it, this kind of unconditioned modal → voiced followed by aspirated → modal sounds more likely.

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 21 Jun 2017 11:01

I don't know of many sound laws that are meant to apply beyond a particular language family. Grassmann's, I guess.

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 21 Jun 2017 14:22

Ahzoh wrote:Is there some sound law where voiceless consonants become voiced while aspirated voiceless become unaspirated?
It doesn't seem unreasonable. The initial shift could be as simple as something like intervocalic voicing of unaspirated voiceless stops, which then spreads to those sounds in all environments. This would the weaken the reliance of aspiration to distinguish the original set of sounds, i.e. one set is voiced while the other voiceless and aspirated, and that in turn could lead to aspiration being dropped, first in some environments, then in all environments.
Just one time.

TwistedOne151
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by TwistedOne151 » 22 Jun 2017 13:16

Given the following consonant inventory, does the romanization I have (in the angle brackets) seem alright?

Nasals: /m n/ <m n>
Stops:
voiced: /b d g/ <b d g>
voiceless: /p t k ʔ/ <p t k '>
ejective: /tʼ kʼ qʼ/ <t' k' q'>
Affricates:
voiceless: /t͡ɬ ʈ͡ʂ t͡ɕ q͡χ/<tl č ć qh>
ejective: /t͡sʼ t͡ɬʼ ʈ͡ʂʼ t͡ɕʼ/ <ts' tl' č' ć'>
Fricatives:
voiced: /z ʐ ʑ ʁ/ <z ž ź gh>
voiceless: /f s ɬ ʂ ɕ χ h/ <f s lh š ś kh h>
Liquids: /r l/ <r l>
Semivowels: /j w/ <y w>

Any suggested changes? <x> instead of <kh> for /χ/ perhaps (and then <qx> for /q͡χ/)? Something other than <gh> for /ʁ/? Digraphs of some kind rather than accents for the retroflexes and alveolopalatals? Or does it work well enough as is?

Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » 22 Jun 2017 13:52

Alright? It's almost exactly the same as what I'd have gone for with that inventory! (with the exception of the uvular affricate which I'd be tempted to write <qx> or even <q>, and the velar fricative which I'd write with <x>). Go for it!

Omzinesý
runic
runic

Post by Omzinesý » 22 Jun 2017 14:40

All4Ɇn wrote:
Omzinesý wrote:
Logically the language can either maintain (some of) the old cases or gain new ones.
As far as I understand, what is called Vulgar Latin lonst vowel length and the accusative -m. The other cases have been lost in "individual languages".
Old french still had distinct nominative and accusative, the nominative marked with -s. If I remenber right, the Romanian genitive-dative in the feminine is -e and derives from Latin -ae. The ablative is apparently lost altogether.
For new cases Ramance prepositions can be exploited or Turkish elements can be used.