What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Ahzoh » 02 Aug 2015 17:47

elemtilas wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:I have a diagram of Vrkhazhian words for body parts.
I derived the words for toes and fingers from diminutive forms of the words for foot and hand.
I like. Questions: do menq / ktam refer to the whole arm / leg or just the forearm / thigh? 'uzer -- "chest", "breast", "thorax", "breasts"? Is the wrist distinguished from the hand and arm / ankle from foot and leg? I like how knee and elbow are seen as analogous and thus have the same name. Never mind -- I see you have satuk for calf -- what about upper arm? 'ebil -- neck as opposed to throat? What about parts of the face? I notice a rather gaping empty spot in the regions between saksar and zag -- is there a tabu against naming That Region of the body (while nizu seems to be safe to talk about)? Oh, and is pak the vault only, or the whole head?
It's just the way the diagram is done in the LexiBuild set. I think it is a genderless diagram.

Menq is the whole arm and Tsag is the whole leg, while Khtam is the thigh. 'Uzer is indeed the whole chest region. Lhatuk would be the calf muscle but also whatever is the muscle equivalent for the forearm/lower arm (the biceps?).
Pak is clearly the whole head.
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 02 Aug 2015 18:46

Ahzoh wrote:It's just the way the diagram is done in the LexiBuild set. I think it is a genderless diagram.
I figured the diagram itself is intended to be rather gender neutral -- I was just commenting on the lack of any terminology in That Region! [:P]
Menq is the whole arm and Tsag is the whole leg, while Khtam is the thigh. 'Uzer is indeed the whole chest region. Lhatuk would be the calf muscle but also whatever is the muscle equivalent for the forearm/lower arm (the biceps?).
Biceps is in the anterior aspect of the upper arm. Down in the lower arm / leg you have a mess of flexor and extensor muscles -- these are the ones that let you lift your hand / foot or push them down. And of course, there are individual muscles for lifting and pushing each individual digit (especially in the hand -- some people can move toes independently better than others -- but this is more a matter of practice than physiology!)

Pak is clearly the whole head.
Or not -- since you've got it way up on top! [o.O]

My questions aren't just oriented towards you giving me the name of something -- I'm much more interested in how the semantic space is divided. For example, if I do one of these charts for a Daine language, you will see that Daine also have the same word for finger / toe -- but that there are different words for "left finger / toe" and "right finger / toe". Likewise different words for "left forewing" and "right forewing". Also different terms for anterior and posterior aspects of parts like arms and legs, feet and hands and wings. As for the head, they roughly divide it, again, between the posterior and anterior halves with the border roughly at the frontal-parietal/temporal junction; but have a yet different word for "face" as opposed to all the rest of the fore-head.

Have you done internal anatomy at all?

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 02 Aug 2015 19:29

elemtilas wrote:My questions aren't just oriented towards you giving me the name of something -- I'm much more interested in how the semantic space is divided. For example, if I do one of these charts for a Daine language, you will see that Daine also have the same word for finger / toe -- but that there are different words for "left finger / toe" and "right finger / toe". Likewise different words for "left forewing" and "right forewing". Also different terms for anterior and posterior aspects of parts like arms and legs, feet and hands and wings. As for the head, they roughly divide it, again, between the posterior and anterior halves with the border roughly at the frontal-parietal/temporal junction; but have a yet different word for "face" as opposed to all the rest of the fore-head.

Have you done internal anatomy at all?
I have so far only the stomach, which is "qemrod" or "digesting tool".
The Vrkhazhi divide the body rather symmetrically: the torso itself is neatly divided into four being the upper front (uzer), lower front (saklhar), upper back (sirtq), and the lower back (nizu). Then there is the lower arm/leg (pqokal) and upper arm/leg (mant). Foot is the whole thing, no heel distinction, as is the hand the same thing, but with wrist as part of pqokal. There is a head, face, and hair.

Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx » 03 Aug 2015 01:21

Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.

kanejam
greek
greek

Post by kanejam » 03 Aug 2015 03:23

Just discovered the tantalising possibility of Oscan speakers in Spain in the town of Huesca < Osca. Imagine an Aragonese influenced Oscan descendent (although it probably wouldn't survive till the modern era). Haven't been able to find much at all on it other than a couple of passing references so it might just be a wild goose chase.

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 03 Aug 2015 07:30

Impressive!
kanejam wrote:Just discovered the tantalising possibility of Oscan speakers in Spain in the town of Huesca < Osca. Imagine an Aragonese influenced Oscan descendent (although it probably wouldn't survive till the modern era). Haven't been able to find much at all on it other than a couple of passing references so it might just be a wild goose chase.
Oh, that sounds really cool! Hopefully you'll find more about it.

conlangingftw
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by conlangingftw » 03 Aug 2015 07:31

Well, today was a big day with a lot of changes to Lancúhea. I guess you could say that it is evolving once again grammatically.

Firstly, I removed my entire noun plural paradigm because it's just way too confusing (especially since there is no real regularity in the plurals before, and everything had to be through rote memorization.) And, similarly to the plural paradigm, I removed the IMPF/PERF from a majority of verbs for the exact same reason as the noun plural paradigm. Verb changes were through root changes, and it was almost entirely arbitrary. EXCEPTION: the most common verbs still maintain the IMPF/PERF distinction.

Secondly, since Lancúhea is a grammatical gendered language and with the removal of noun plurals, I added in a third person feminine plural conjugation, so that there are tiny hints to show if a noun is singular or plural.
- A d'uł é d'emmí teima. "The girl loves the boy."
- A d'uł é d'emmí teimía. "The girls love the boy."
(It can be seen that the grammatical number of the object is unclear.)

Lastly, I substituted the IMPF/PERF with a simple Past and Future tense.

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 03 Aug 2015 08:36

conlangingftw wrote:Well, today was a big day with a lot of changes to Lancúhea. I guess you could say that it is evolving once again grammatically.

Firstly, I removed my entire noun plural paradigm because it's just way too confusing (especially since there is no real regularity in the plurals before, and everything had to be through rote memorization.) And, similarly to the plural paradigm, I removed the IMPF/PERF from a majority of verbs for the exact same reason as the noun plural paradigm. Verb changes were through root changes, and it was almost entirely arbitrary. EXCEPTION: the most common verbs still maintain the IMPF/PERF distinction.

Secondly, since Lancúhea is a grammatical gendered language and with the removal of noun plurals, I added in a third person feminine plural conjugation, so that there are tiny hints to show if a noun is singular or plural.
- A d'uł é d'emmí teima. "The girl loves the boy."
- A d'uł é d'emmí teimía. "The girls love the boy."
(It can be seen that the grammatical number of the object is unclear.)

Lastly, I substituted the IMPF/PERF with a simple Past and Future tense.
Looks interesting! Hopefully we get to see more of this language in the future. [:)]

Sights
sinic
sinic

Post by Sights » 03 Aug 2015 08:59

I've made substantial progress in the native script of Ba! [:D]

After probably a year (feels like several, actually!) of randomly scribbling different shapes on my notebooks and getting weird looks and questions from the few students who managed to take a peek or who were curious enough to ask me what the hell I was doing, I think I've finally struck a balance between my aesthetic goals and... I dunno, practicality or naturalism or whatever that thing is that gives you the feeling of "hmm... I think I can actually picture someone writing this [:)]". What might have helped was just taking the time to put it all in a nice chart :mrgreen:

There are some pretty important things I still have to work out, like the shapes of some consonants when in coda position and the matter of rising dipthongs, but no major overhaul is in order. Hopefully, I'll be able to share the results here soon enough. Not sure whether I should do it in the Conscript Development thread or start a new one, but we'll see.

Isoraqathedh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Isoraqathedh » 03 Aug 2015 11:32

(16 | 31) (GE) Only "be" and "have" inflect, the rest stay invariant. This is very clearly aping off Afrikaans but I think it makes sense for this to happen at least.

(16 | 32) (GE) Fun stuff with pronouns, as well as direct translations for foo, bar, baz, quux.

Since my scanner is based on a mouse, inevitably there's some time when it can't make sense where it is and displays weird derps. In this page, all MEDial metasyntactic variables add -xq and all DISTal ones add -x. -xq and -x are chiremes.
Conlangs: EP (EV EB) Yk HI Ag Cd GE Rs, Ct, EQ, SX Sk Ya (OF), Ub, AKF MGY, (RDWA BCMS)
Natural languages: zh-hk, zh-cn, en

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 03 Aug 2015 12:24

Sights wrote:I've made substantial progress in the native script of Ba! [:D]

After probably a year (feels like several, actually!) of randomly scribbling different shapes on my notebooks and getting weird looks and questions from the few students who managed to take a peek or who were curious enough to ask me what the hell I was doing, I think I've finally struck a balance between my aesthetic goals and... I dunno, practicality or naturalism or whatever that thing is that gives you the feeling of "hmm... I think I can actually picture someone writing this [:)]".
Lámatyáve. Or something very close to it.
There are some pretty important things I still have to work out, like the shapes of some consonants when in coda position and the matter of rising dipthongs, but no major overhaul is in order. Hopefully, I'll be able to share the results here soon enough. Not sure whether I should do it in the Conscript Development thread or start a new one, but we'll see.
Start a thread for your language and show us there!

Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx » 03 Aug 2015 14:12

shimobaatar wrote:
Impressive!
Thank you.
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 03 Aug 2015 19:51

Sights wrote:I've made substantial progress in the native script of Ba! [:D]

After probably a year (feels like several, actually!) of randomly scribbling different shapes on my notebooks and getting weird looks and questions from the few students who managed to take a peek or who were curious enough to ask me what the hell I was doing, I think I've finally struck a balance between my aesthetic goals and... I dunno, practicality or naturalism or whatever that thing is that gives you the feeling of "hmm... I think I can actually picture someone writing this [:)]". What might have helped was just taking the time to put it all in a nice chart :mrgreen:

That's great news! I look forward to being able to see the results whenever and wherever you share them!

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 04 Aug 2015 08:32

I can almost say I'm finished my 500-verb quota, with some 386 verbs, all arranged in alphabetic order. Also noticed homonyms of s-m-b (to be disorganized), derived from the verb s-m (to live) and s-m-b (to poison) which is derived from the verb s-b (to kill).

Masmimu ʾifsimbu ʾenak ʾenib (zi)husmab!
Masmim-u ʾifsimb-u ʾen-ak ʾen-ib zi-hu-smab!
life-NEUT.NOM.SG disorganized-NEUT.SG 2ms-GEN.FMLR 2ms-ACC.FMLR FMLR-ACT.PRES.PROG-poison\ACT.SG
Your disorganized lifestyle is killing you slowly!
If only that could be analyzed as "Your poisonous lifestyle is making you disorganized!"

And there is the verbs associated to with giving and receiving things with both hands, that's a culture thing.
A lot of these verbs, I don't know what they would have meant in Taksheyut some 1700 years ago, or maybe they would have still meant a lot of the same thing.
Spoiler:
√ʾ-ž-l (to missee)
√ʾ-ž-š (to misburn [food])
√ʾ-l-d (to guard)
√ʾ-l-b (to expose, to humiliate)
√ʾ-l-s (to observe, to survey)
√ʾ-l-l (to see)
√ʾ-l-n (to glimpse)
√ʾ-l-š (to detect, to notice)
√ʾ-m-l (to watch [a performance or play], to view)
√ʾ-m-š (to cook)
√ʾ-ḡ-t (to sail) < boat
√ʾ-š-h (to burn [intr.])
√ʾ-š-b (to be consumed by fire, to combust)
√ʾ-š-s (to incinerate, to scorch)
√ʾ-š-n (to smolder, to glow)
√ʾ-š-š (to melt)
√ʾ-z-r (to focus, to concentrate)
√ḵ-ḵ-p (to impale, to gore)
√ḵ-ž-ṭ (to clump together)
√ḵ-ž-p (to miss)
√ḵ-ṭ-b (to smooth, to erode, to wear down)
√ḵ-ṭ-s (to roll)
√ḵ-ṭ-ṭ (to make round)
√ḵ-m-ṭ (to knead [dough])
√ḵ-p-b (to mince, to stab until there is nothing left)
√ḵ-p-n (to poke, to peck)
√ḵ-p-p (to stab)
√ḵ-p-š (to hook)
√v-ḵ-ž (to be great, to be large)
√h-ž-r (to mispurify)
√h-ž-q (to twist [an ankle], to twist to death)
√h-m-r (to be pure, to consecrate)
√h-m-q (to drill)
√h-r-b (to destroy by purification, to purge)
√h-r-s (to cleanse, to absolve)
√h-r-n (to clean)
√h-r-š (to purify)
√h-q-b (to twist apart)
√h-q-š (to fasten or tighten [like or with screws])
√h-q-q (to twist [tr.])
√d-d-l (to burrow into)
√d-d-n (to burden)
√d-s-ṟ (to do, to act)
√d-ž-b (to disperse, to scatter)
√d-ž-ž (to separate, to divide)
√d-ž-l (to cave under)
√d-ž-n (to crush)
√d-ž-š (to isolate oneself)
√d-l-b (to excavate, to dig around)
√d-l-l (to dig)
√d-l-n (to brush away [dirt])
√d-l-š (to carve out)
√d-m-ž (to quarantine)
√d-m-l (to dig for a while)
√d-m-n (to sleep)
√d-n-b (to trample on)
√d-n-n (to be heavy)
√d-n-š (to drag one's heels, to trudge)
√ẕ-ẕ-m (to bleed intensely)
√ẕ-ž-m (to bleed to death)
√ẕ-m-h (to bleed [intr.])
√ẕ-m-b (to gush [blood])
√ẕ-m-m (to bleed for a while)
√ẕ-m-š (to bleed internally)
√b-d-h (to read)
√b-d-n (to skim)
√b-d-š (to read inwards)
√b-b-d (to research)
√b-b-l (to execute)
√b-ž-d (to misread)
√b-l-h (to punish)
√b-m-d (to be wise)
√b-m-l (to flog)
√b-ḡ-t (to go through)
√b-r-m (to glorify)
√b-q-s (to be superior, to be better)
√s-v-m (to be long-lived)
√s-v-n (to work; to hammer away [intensive])
√s-b-b (to kill)
√s-b-n (to kill [someone’s hopes, dreams, spirit])
√s-b-š (to commit suicide [literary])
√s-s-d (to love strongly)
√s-s-b (to slaughter, to massacre; to decimate [intensive])
√s-s-l (to take, to grab, to seize, to get)
√s-s-m (to survive, to make a living)
√s-s-ḡ (to age rapidly)
√s-s-č (to react [of an atom])
√s-ž-d (to love obsessively, to be "yandere")
√s-ž-b (to accidentally kill [someone])
√s-ž-l (to accidentally take)
√s-ž-m (to live poorly)
√s-ž-n (to be overworked)
√s-ž-ḡ (to grow old)
√s-l-d (to love)
√s-l-b (to starve [tr.])
√s-l-l (to hold)
√s-l-š (to hold in, to repress)
√s-m-b (to be disorganized)
√s-m-b (to poison)
√s-m-l (to imprison, to limit)
√s-m-m (to live, to exist)
√s-m-ḡ (to ferment [intr.])
√s-m-š (to inhabit)
√s-m-č (to glue)
√s-n-b (to hold apart, to break up [a fight])
√s-n-n (to accept [something] with both hands)
√s-n-š (to wear on the hands)
√s-ḡ-b (to decay, to rot)
√s-ḡ-l (to be old) < old
√s-ḡ-n (to mature, to grow into an adult)
√s-č-n (to append, to add)
√s-č-š (to fasten, to fix in place)
√s-č-č (to connect, to attach, to join)
√ž-ž-l (to thank intensely)
√ž-l-l (to thank)
√ž-l-n (to rejoice)
√ž-l-š (to be grateful, to be thankful)
√ž-m-l (to owe a favour)
√y-ž-l (to distort)
√y-l-l (to shape, to mold, to form)
√y-m-l (to sculpt)
√y-p-d (to die for a cause)
√k-ž-f (to receive [the wrong item])
√k-m-f (to barter)
√k-j-m (to support)
√k-f-h (to exchange)
√k-f-b (to run out of stock)
√k-f-n (to put forward, to offer)
√k-f-j (to sell)
√k-f-š (to buy, to purchase)
√k-š-m (to build [physical])
√g-ž-l (to miss [seeing something], to overlook)
√g-ž-z (to loom)
√g-g-l (to search, to frisk, to comb)
√g-g-z (to be monumental)
√g-l-l (to look)
√g-l-š (to investigate)
√g-m-l (to stare, to linger at)
√g-m-z (to pioneer)
√g-z-š (to be reputable, to be credible, to be reliable)
√g-z-z (to be important, to be significant)
√l-d-d (to protect, to shield)
√l-d-b (to kill in defense [of self or someone])
√l-d-n (to save [someone])
√l-d-š (to close [oneself] off emotionally)
√l-ẕ-ẕ (to break, to strike)
√l-ẕ-b (to shatter)
√l-ẕ-š (to break in, to strike in)
√l-ž-d (to protect poorly)
√l-l-d (to take a stand, to hold out [against an enemy], to hold back)
√l-l-ẕ (to break intensely, to strike intensely)
√l-l-ḥ (to brawl, to clash)
√l-m-d (to guard)
√l-m-ḥ (to battle)
√l-ḥ-h (to fight)
√l-ḥ-b (to purchase, to obtain with effort or suffering)
√l-ḥ-n (to argue, to debate)
√l-ḥ-j (to attack; to provoke [causative])
√l-ḥ-š (to struggle internally)
√m-v-n (to engrave)
√m-v-t (to hike, to trek)
√m-v-ḥ (to civilize)
√m-ž-t (to run to exhaustion)
√m-l-ḥ (to befriend, to become an ally)
√m-m-n (to engrave)
√m-m-t (to run; to dash, to bolt [intensive])
√m-n-š (to write)
√m-ḡ-m (to nominalize)
√m-j-m (to offer [verbally])
√m-š-b (to mobilize [of an army])
√m-t-n (to progress)
√m-t-š (to walk in [a building])
√m-t-t (to walk)
√m-z-l (to be tenacious)
√m-ḥ-ḥ (to unify, to mix)
√n-v-š (to own, to have [as property])
√n-ž-š (to carry [a parasite, disease])
√n-n-š (to be sated, to be satisfied)
√n-š-y (to want, to desire)
√n-š-n (to bear, to carry, to bring)
√n-š-š (to have, to possess)
√ḡ-ž-m (to insult, to offend)
√ḡ-ž-t (to be transported to the Formless World)
√ḡ-m-h (to name, to identify)
√ḡ-m-b (to discredit, to slander, to defame)
√ḡ-m-š (to describe, to define)
√ḡ-m-t (to drift, to wander)
√ḡ-ḡ-t (to charge through)
√ḡ-t-n (to float)
√ḡ-t-š (to possess [someone])
√ḡ-t-t (to swim)
√ṗ-b-h (to hear)
√ṗ-b-n (to hear faintly)
√ṗ-b-š (to eavesdrop)
√ṗ-ž-b (to mishear, to hallucinate)
√ṗ-ž-š (to dismember)
√ṗ-m-b (to listen)
√ṗ-m-š (to betray)
√ṗ-š-b (to shred)
√ṗ-š-s (to cleave)
√ṗ-š-m (to rob, to steal)
√ṗ-š-n (to disagree)
√ṗ-š-š (to cut)
√p-d-d (to follow, to agree with [ideals, values])
√p-d-b (to sacrifice [an animal])
√p-d-n (to go along with [something], to humor [someone])
√p-d-š (to be narcissistic, to be self-serving)
√p-ž-d (to be misguided)
√p-ž-l (to give someone [a disease])
√p-l-b (to broadcast [seeds], to sow [seeds])
√p-l-l (to give)
√p-l-n (to lend)
√p-l-f (to give away)
√p-l-š (to allow, to permit)
√p-m-d (to be loyal)
√p-m-l (to cultivate)
√p-p-d (to devote)
√p-p-l (to endow, to grace, to bestow, to donate)
√p-q-ẕ (to rejoice, to be joyful)
√j-v-m (to coach [modern])
√j-ž-m (to inadvertently aid the enemy)
√j-m-b (to coddle, to spoil)
√j-m-n (to encourage)
√j-m-š (to inspire, to motivate)
√j-j-m (to dedicate)
√r-ž-h (to think)
√r-m-ž (to meditate)
√f-d-h (to lead)
√f-d-n (to persuade)
√f-d-š (to lead into a place)
√f-ž-d (to mislead, to trick, to betray)
√f-m-d (to rule)
√f-f-d (to order, to command, to control)
√š-d-d (to speak, to say)
√š-d-b (to stutter)
√š-d-n (to whisper, to chatter)
√š-d-š (to report about)
√š-b-b (to migrate, to move en masse)
√š-b-š (to flood, to inundate)
√š-ž-d (to blasphemy, to get one's tongue cut off)
√š-ž-m (to brew, to impend)
√š-ž-f (to deflect)
√š-m-h (to create, to build [abstract], to form)
√š-m-d (to narrate, to tell)
√š-m-b (to invade [a nation])
√š-m-r (to know)
√š-m-f (to be parallel [to something])
√š-m-š (to build character, to train)
√š-f-h (to reflect, to cast back, to throw back)
√š-f-b (to take something and scatter it, to refract [light])
√š-f-n (to mirror, to mimic, to copy, to replicate)
√š-f-š (to reflect, to contemplate)
√š-š-d (to orate)
√š-š-b (to sweep away, to carry along)
√š-š-m (to strengthen)
√šf - reflecting (< shadow)
√w-d-h (to cover)
√w-d-b (to cover apart)
√w-d-s (to vanish)
√w-d-n (to hide, to conceal)
√w-d-š (to hold down, to press upon)
√w-ž-d (to suffocate, to kill by covering)
√w-m-d (to obviate)
√t-ʾ-l (to forget)
√t-ʾ-š (to unburn)
√t-h-r (to impurify)
√t-h-q (to untwist)
√t-d-l (to bury)
√t-d-n (to be lightweight)
√t-b-d (to be unread)
√t-s-b (to revive, to bring back to life)
√t-s-l (to give)
√t-s-n (to give [something] with both hands)
√t-s-ḡ (to appear younger)
√t-s-č (to disconnect)
√t-y-l (to destroy)
√t-k-f (to take back, to withdraw)
√t-g-z (to be unimportant, to be insignificant)
√t-l-d (to besiege)
√t-l-ḥ (to make peace)
√t-m-n (to erase [something written])
√t-m-t (to backtrack, to retreat [of an army], to withdraw, to recede)
√t-n-š (to be in need of)
√t-ḡ-t (to come out [of something])
√t-ṗ-b (to ignore, to disregard)
√t-p-d (to commit apostasy)
√t-p-l (to take [literary])
√t-j-m (to make collapse, to discourage)
√t-f-d (to chase way, to scare off; to resign [reflexive])
√t-š-d (to be mute, to be quiet)
√t-š-m (to divorce)
√t-w-d (to uncover, to reveal)
√t-z-r (to tighten)
√t-ḥ-s (to be untouched, to be unaffected)
√t-ḥ-l (to straighten)
√t-q-d (to vomit)
√t-q-s (to get up, to wake)
√t-q-n (to descend)
√ṟ-v-m (to pursue, to hunt)
√ṟ-ž-m (to go down the wrong path)
√ṟ-m-m (to follow [a path, a goal])
√ṟ-m-n (to plan, to plan out, to plot)
√ṟ-m-š (to nurture, to raise [a child]) > paṟmuš (upbringing)
√č-ʾ-l (to spy on)
√č-ʾ-š (to interrogate)
√č-ḵ-ṭ (to circle [in the air])
√č-ḵ-p (to stitch together, to throb)
√č-h-r (to bathe)
√č-d-ž (to divide into six)
√č-d-l (to dig frequently)
√č-d-n (to oppress)
√č-ẕ-m (to menstruate)
√č-b-d (to study)
√č-s-b (to be a serial-killer)
√č-s-l (to restrict, to ban)
√č-s-m (to replenish, to renew, to revive)
√č-s-n (to be a laborer)
√č-k-f (to trade)
√č-g-l (to prospect, to inquire)
√č-l-ḥ (to struggle)
√č-m-t (to jog, to run around)
√č-m-ḥ (to socialize)
√č-n-š (to collect, to gather, to harvest [crops]; to amass, to accumulate [intensive])
√č-ḡ-t (to transport)
√č-ṗ-š (to shear, to prune)
√č-p-d (to worship)
√č-p-l (to deliver)
√č-j-m (to contribute)
√č-š-d (to be talkative)
√č-š-b (to drive [a herd])
√č-š-m (to be a builder)
√č-ṟ-m (to be nomadic)
√č-z-r (to cross)
√č-ḥ-s (to grope, to feel around)
√č-q-d (to prey on)
√č-q-s (to be lazy, to be sedentary)
√č-q-n (to mountaineer)
√z-ž-l (to grow [as weeds], to grow with a defect)
√z-ž-r (to dislocate, to stretch [a muscle])
√z-l-b (to grow sporadically)
√z-l-l (to grow [intr.])
√z-m-l (to farm)
√z-m-r (to journey, to travel)
√z-r-b (to tear, to rip apart)
√z-r-n (to be long)
√z-r-š (to be pregnant)
√z-z-l (to thrive)
√z-z-r (to stretch)
√z-q-d (to eat; to gorge [intensive])
√ḥ-v-v (to greet)
√ḥ-v-s (to salute)
√ḥ-v-š (to introduce)
√ḥ-s-b (to peel off)
√ḥ-s-s (to touch)
√ḥ-s-n (to graze)
√ḥ-s-š (to masturbate)
√ḥ-ž-v (to run into [something negative])
√ḥ-ž-s (to accidentally touch [something])
√ḥ-ž-l (to be misshapen, to be deformed)
√ḥ-l-b (to bow, to bend under pressure)
√ḥ-l-s (to prostrate)
√ḥ-l-l (to bend)
√ḥ-l-n (to be crooked)
√ḥ-l-š (to fold)
√ḥ-m-v (to pay respect)
√ḥ-m-s (to embrace)
√ḥ-m-l (to sit; to set [causative])
√ḥ-f-b (to fall apart)
√ḥ-f-s (to annihilate)
√ḥ-f-f (to crumble apart [intr.])
√q-v-n (to ascend)
√q-d-b (to absorb, to devour)
√q-d-n (to nibble)
√q-d-š (to cannibalize)
√q-s-b (to be strewn all over the place)
√q-s-s (to lie [down])
√q-ž-d (to choke)
√q-ž-s (to be paralyzed)
√q-ž-n (to place oneself in a bad situation)
√q-m-d (to digest)
√q-m-s (to rest, to stop)
√q-n-s (to leap, to jump)
√q-n-n (to climb)
√q-n-š (to climb in)
√ṉ-r-r (to lift)
It's amazing how many verbs you can derive from just 70.
Also, I definitely think my conlang is very agglutinative.

Žaẏ ṛ-tuHammar-pačsuliẕu sulal!
I wield the Banhammer!

ieuan
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by ieuan » 04 Aug 2015 12:19

I finally finished my syllable structure for Y-Lang.

The onset is the most complex:
-Any individual consonant
-Non-Laryngeal Stop + Approx
-Non-Laryngeal Fric + Approx
-Non-Laryngeal Stop + Labial or Coronal Fric where voicing matches
(Empty onsets are not allowed)

Nucleus:
-Any vowel
-Any vowel followed by one of /j w/ - /ɨj/ /ɨw/ become [ij uw]
-Any vowel other than /ə/ followed by /ə/

Coda:
-Empty
-Any Nasal
-Any Fricative

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 04 Aug 2015 20:19

Ahzoh wrote:I can almost say I'm finished my 500-verb quota, with some 386 verbs, all arranged in alphabetic order. Also noticed homonyms of s-m-b (to be disorganized), derived from the verb s-m (to live) and s-m-b (to poison) which is derived from the verb s-b (to kill).

Masmimu ʾifsimbu ʾenak ʾenib (zi)husmab!
Masmim-u ʾifsimb-u ʾen-ak ʾen-ib zi-hu-smab!
life-NEUT.NOM.SG disorganized-NEUT.SG 2ms-GEN.FMLR 2ms-ACC.FMLR FMLR-ACT.PRES.PROG-poison\ACT.SG
Your disorganized lifestyle is killing you slowly!
If only that could be analyzed as "Your poisonous lifestyle is making you disorganized!"

And there is the verbs associated to with giving and receiving things with both hands, that's a culture thing.
A lot of these verbs, I don't know what they would have meant in Taksheyut some 1700 years ago, or maybe they would have still meant a lot of the same thing.
Spoiler:
√ʾ-ž-l (to missee)
√ʾ-ž-š (to misburn [food])
√ʾ-l-d (to guard)
√ʾ-l-b (to expose, to humiliate)
√ʾ-l-s (to observe, to survey)
√ʾ-l-l (to see)
√ʾ-l-n (to glimpse)
√ʾ-l-š (to detect, to notice)
√ʾ-m-l (to watch [a performance or play], to view)
√ʾ-m-š (to cook)
√ʾ-ḡ-t (to sail) < boat
√ʾ-š-h (to burn [intr.])
√ʾ-š-b (to be consumed by fire, to combust)
√ʾ-š-s (to incinerate, to scorch)
√ʾ-š-n (to smolder, to glow)
√ʾ-š-š (to melt)
√ʾ-z-r (to focus, to concentrate)
√ḵ-ḵ-p (to impale, to gore)
√ḵ-ž-ṭ (to clump together)
√ḵ-ž-p (to miss)
√ḵ-ṭ-b (to smooth, to erode, to wear down)
√ḵ-ṭ-s (to roll)
√ḵ-ṭ-ṭ (to make round)
√ḵ-m-ṭ (to knead [dough])
√ḵ-p-b (to mince, to stab until there is nothing left)
√ḵ-p-n (to poke, to peck)
√ḵ-p-p (to stab)
√ḵ-p-š (to hook)
√v-ḵ-ž (to be great, to be large)
√h-ž-r (to mispurify)
√h-ž-q (to twist [an ankle], to twist to death)
√h-m-r (to be pure, to consecrate)
√h-m-q (to drill)
√h-r-b (to destroy by purification, to purge)
√h-r-s (to cleanse, to absolve)
√h-r-n (to clean)
√h-r-š (to purify)
√h-q-b (to twist apart)
√h-q-š (to fasten or tighten [like or with screws])
√h-q-q (to twist [tr.])
√d-d-l (to burrow into)
√d-d-n (to burden)
√d-s-ṟ (to do, to act)
√d-ž-b (to disperse, to scatter)
√d-ž-ž (to separate, to divide)
√d-ž-l (to cave under)
√d-ž-n (to crush)
√d-ž-š (to isolate oneself)
√d-l-b (to excavate, to dig around)
√d-l-l (to dig)
√d-l-n (to brush away [dirt])
√d-l-š (to carve out)
√d-m-ž (to quarantine)
√d-m-l (to dig for a while)
√d-m-n (to sleep)
√d-n-b (to trample on)
√d-n-n (to be heavy)
√d-n-š (to drag one's heels, to trudge)
√ẕ-ẕ-m (to bleed intensely)
√ẕ-ž-m (to bleed to death)
√ẕ-m-h (to bleed [intr.])
√ẕ-m-b (to gush [blood])
√ẕ-m-m (to bleed for a while)
√ẕ-m-š (to bleed internally)
√b-d-h (to read)
√b-d-n (to skim)
√b-d-š (to read inwards)
√b-b-d (to research)
√b-b-l (to execute)
√b-ž-d (to misread)
√b-l-h (to punish)
√b-m-d (to be wise)
√b-m-l (to flog)
√b-ḡ-t (to go through)
√b-r-m (to glorify)
√b-q-s (to be superior, to be better)
√s-v-m (to be long-lived)
√s-v-n (to work; to hammer away [intensive])
√s-b-b (to kill)
√s-b-n (to kill [someone’s hopes, dreams, spirit])
√s-b-š (to commit suicide [literary])
√s-s-d (to love strongly)
√s-s-b (to slaughter, to massacre; to decimate [intensive])
√s-s-l (to take, to grab, to seize, to get)
√s-s-m (to survive, to make a living)
√s-s-ḡ (to age rapidly)
√s-s-č (to react [of an atom])
√s-ž-d (to love obsessively, to be "yandere")
√s-ž-b (to accidentally kill [someone])
√s-ž-l (to accidentally take)
√s-ž-m (to live poorly)
√s-ž-n (to be overworked)
√s-ž-ḡ (to grow old)
√s-l-d (to love)
√s-l-b (to starve [tr.])
√s-l-l (to hold)
√s-l-š (to hold in, to repress)
√s-m-b (to be disorganized)
√s-m-b (to poison)
√s-m-l (to imprison, to limit)
√s-m-m (to live, to exist)
√s-m-ḡ (to ferment [intr.])
√s-m-š (to inhabit)
√s-m-č (to glue)
√s-n-b (to hold apart, to break up [a fight])
√s-n-n (to accept [something] with both hands)
√s-n-š (to wear on the hands)
√s-ḡ-b (to decay, to rot)
√s-ḡ-l (to be old) < old
√s-ḡ-n (to mature, to grow into an adult)
√s-č-n (to append, to add)
√s-č-š (to fasten, to fix in place)
√s-č-č (to connect, to attach, to join)
√ž-ž-l (to thank intensely)
√ž-l-l (to thank)
√ž-l-n (to rejoice)
√ž-l-š (to be grateful, to be thankful)
√ž-m-l (to owe a favour)
√y-ž-l (to distort)
√y-l-l (to shape, to mold, to form)
√y-m-l (to sculpt)
√y-p-d (to die for a cause)
√k-ž-f (to receive [the wrong item])
√k-m-f (to barter)
√k-j-m (to support)
√k-f-h (to exchange)
√k-f-b (to run out of stock)
√k-f-n (to put forward, to offer)
√k-f-j (to sell)
√k-f-š (to buy, to purchase)
√k-š-m (to build [physical])
√g-ž-l (to miss [seeing something], to overlook)
√g-ž-z (to loom)
√g-g-l (to search, to frisk, to comb)
√g-g-z (to be monumental)
√g-l-l (to look)
√g-l-š (to investigate)
√g-m-l (to stare, to linger at)
√g-m-z (to pioneer)
√g-z-š (to be reputable, to be credible, to be reliable)
√g-z-z (to be important, to be significant)
√l-d-d (to protect, to shield)
√l-d-b (to kill in defense [of self or someone])
√l-d-n (to save [someone])
√l-d-š (to close [oneself] off emotionally)
√l-ẕ-ẕ (to break, to strike)
√l-ẕ-b (to shatter)
√l-ẕ-š (to break in, to strike in)
√l-ž-d (to protect poorly)
√l-l-d (to take a stand, to hold out [against an enemy], to hold back)
√l-l-ẕ (to break intensely, to strike intensely)
√l-l-ḥ (to brawl, to clash)
√l-m-d (to guard)
√l-m-ḥ (to battle)
√l-ḥ-h (to fight)
√l-ḥ-b (to purchase, to obtain with effort or suffering)
√l-ḥ-n (to argue, to debate)
√l-ḥ-j (to attack; to provoke [causative])
√l-ḥ-š (to struggle internally)
√m-v-n (to engrave)
√m-v-t (to hike, to trek)
√m-v-ḥ (to civilize)
√m-ž-t (to run to exhaustion)
√m-l-ḥ (to befriend, to become an ally)
√m-m-n (to engrave)
√m-m-t (to run; to dash, to bolt [intensive])
√m-n-š (to write)
√m-ḡ-m (to nominalize)
√m-j-m (to offer [verbally])
√m-š-b (to mobilize [of an army])
√m-t-n (to progress)
√m-t-š (to walk in [a building])
√m-t-t (to walk)
√m-z-l (to be tenacious)
√m-ḥ-ḥ (to unify, to mix)
√n-v-š (to own, to have [as property])
√n-ž-š (to carry [a parasite, disease])
√n-n-š (to be sated, to be satisfied)
√n-š-y (to want, to desire)
√n-š-n (to bear, to carry, to bring)
√n-š-š (to have, to possess)
√ḡ-ž-m (to insult, to offend)
√ḡ-ž-t (to be transported to the Formless World)
√ḡ-m-h (to name, to identify)
√ḡ-m-b (to discredit, to slander, to defame)
√ḡ-m-š (to describe, to define)
√ḡ-m-t (to drift, to wander)
√ḡ-ḡ-t (to charge through)
√ḡ-t-n (to float)
√ḡ-t-š (to possess [someone])
√ḡ-t-t (to swim)
√ṗ-b-h (to hear)
√ṗ-b-n (to hear faintly)
√ṗ-b-š (to eavesdrop)
√ṗ-ž-b (to mishear, to hallucinate)
√ṗ-ž-š (to dismember)
√ṗ-m-b (to listen)
√ṗ-m-š (to betray)
√ṗ-š-b (to shred)
√ṗ-š-s (to cleave)
√ṗ-š-m (to rob, to steal)
√ṗ-š-n (to disagree)
√ṗ-š-š (to cut)
√p-d-d (to follow, to agree with [ideals, values])
√p-d-b (to sacrifice [an animal])
√p-d-n (to go along with [something], to humor [someone])
√p-d-š (to be narcissistic, to be self-serving)
√p-ž-d (to be misguided)
√p-ž-l (to give someone [a disease])
√p-l-b (to broadcast [seeds], to sow [seeds])
√p-l-l (to give)
√p-l-n (to lend)
√p-l-f (to give away)
√p-l-š (to allow, to permit)
√p-m-d (to be loyal)
√p-m-l (to cultivate)
√p-p-d (to devote)
√p-p-l (to endow, to grace, to bestow, to donate)
√p-q-ẕ (to rejoice, to be joyful)
√j-v-m (to coach [modern])
√j-ž-m (to inadvertently aid the enemy)
√j-m-b (to coddle, to spoil)
√j-m-n (to encourage)
√j-m-š (to inspire, to motivate)
√j-j-m (to dedicate)
√r-ž-h (to think)
√r-m-ž (to meditate)
√f-d-h (to lead)
√f-d-n (to persuade)
√f-d-š (to lead into a place)
√f-ž-d (to mislead, to trick, to betray)
√f-m-d (to rule)
√f-f-d (to order, to command, to control)
√š-d-d (to speak, to say)
√š-d-b (to stutter)
√š-d-n (to whisper, to chatter)
√š-d-š (to report about)
√š-b-b (to migrate, to move en masse)
√š-b-š (to flood, to inundate)
√š-ž-d (to blasphemy, to get one's tongue cut off)
√š-ž-m (to brew, to impend)
√š-ž-f (to deflect)
√š-m-h (to create, to build [abstract], to form)
√š-m-d (to narrate, to tell)
√š-m-b (to invade [a nation])
√š-m-r (to know)
√š-m-f (to be parallel [to something])
√š-m-š (to build character, to train)
√š-f-h (to reflect, to cast back, to throw back)
√š-f-b (to take something and scatter it, to refract [light])
√š-f-n (to mirror, to mimic, to copy, to replicate)
√š-f-š (to reflect, to contemplate)
√š-š-d (to orate)
√š-š-b (to sweep away, to carry along)
√š-š-m (to strengthen)
√šf - reflecting (< shadow)
√w-d-h (to cover)
√w-d-b (to cover apart)
√w-d-s (to vanish)
√w-d-n (to hide, to conceal)
√w-d-š (to hold down, to press upon)
√w-ž-d (to suffocate, to kill by covering)
√w-m-d (to obviate)
√t-ʾ-l (to forget)
√t-ʾ-š (to unburn)
√t-h-r (to impurify)
√t-h-q (to untwist)
√t-d-l (to bury)
√t-d-n (to be lightweight)
√t-b-d (to be unread)
√t-s-b (to revive, to bring back to life)
√t-s-l (to give)
√t-s-n (to give [something] with both hands)
√t-s-ḡ (to appear younger)
√t-s-č (to disconnect)
√t-y-l (to destroy)
√t-k-f (to take back, to withdraw)
√t-g-z (to be unimportant, to be insignificant)
√t-l-d (to besiege)
√t-l-ḥ (to make peace)
√t-m-n (to erase [something written])
√t-m-t (to backtrack, to retreat [of an army], to withdraw, to recede)
√t-n-š (to be in need of)
√t-ḡ-t (to come out [of something])
√t-ṗ-b (to ignore, to disregard)
√t-p-d (to commit apostasy)
√t-p-l (to take [literary])
√t-j-m (to make collapse, to discourage)
√t-f-d (to chase way, to scare off; to resign [reflexive])
√t-š-d (to be mute, to be quiet)
√t-š-m (to divorce)
√t-w-d (to uncover, to reveal)
√t-z-r (to tighten)
√t-ḥ-s (to be untouched, to be unaffected)
√t-ḥ-l (to straighten)
√t-q-d (to vomit)
√t-q-s (to get up, to wake)
√t-q-n (to descend)
√ṟ-v-m (to pursue, to hunt)
√ṟ-ž-m (to go down the wrong path)
√ṟ-m-m (to follow [a path, a goal])
√ṟ-m-n (to plan, to plan out, to plot)
√ṟ-m-š (to nurture, to raise [a child]) > paṟmuš (upbringing)
√č-ʾ-l (to spy on)
√č-ʾ-š (to interrogate)
√č-ḵ-ṭ (to circle [in the air])
√č-ḵ-p (to stitch together, to throb)
√č-h-r (to bathe)
√č-d-ž (to divide into six)
√č-d-l (to dig frequently)
√č-d-n (to oppress)
√č-ẕ-m (to menstruate)
√č-b-d (to study)
√č-s-b (to be a serial-killer)
√č-s-l (to restrict, to ban)
√č-s-m (to replenish, to renew, to revive)
√č-s-n (to be a laborer)
√č-k-f (to trade)
√č-g-l (to prospect, to inquire)
√č-l-ḥ (to struggle)
√č-m-t (to jog, to run around)
√č-m-ḥ (to socialize)
√č-n-š (to collect, to gather, to harvest [crops]; to amass, to accumulate [intensive])
√č-ḡ-t (to transport)
√č-ṗ-š (to shear, to prune)
√č-p-d (to worship)
√č-p-l (to deliver)
√č-j-m (to contribute)
√č-š-d (to be talkative)
√č-š-b (to drive [a herd])
√č-š-m (to be a builder)
√č-ṟ-m (to be nomadic)
√č-z-r (to cross)
√č-ḥ-s (to grope, to feel around)
√č-q-d (to prey on)
√č-q-s (to be lazy, to be sedentary)
√č-q-n (to mountaineer)
√z-ž-l (to grow [as weeds], to grow with a defect)
√z-ž-r (to dislocate, to stretch [a muscle])
√z-l-b (to grow sporadically)
√z-l-l (to grow [intr.])
√z-m-l (to farm)
√z-m-r (to journey, to travel)
√z-r-b (to tear, to rip apart)
√z-r-n (to be long)
√z-r-š (to be pregnant)
√z-z-l (to thrive)
√z-z-r (to stretch)
√z-q-d (to eat; to gorge [intensive])
√ḥ-v-v (to greet)
√ḥ-v-s (to salute)
√ḥ-v-š (to introduce)
√ḥ-s-b (to peel off)
√ḥ-s-s (to touch)
√ḥ-s-n (to graze)
√ḥ-s-š (to masturbate)
√ḥ-ž-v (to run into [something negative])
√ḥ-ž-s (to accidentally touch [something])
√ḥ-ž-l (to be misshapen, to be deformed)
√ḥ-l-b (to bow, to bend under pressure)
√ḥ-l-s (to prostrate)
√ḥ-l-l (to bend)
√ḥ-l-n (to be crooked)
√ḥ-l-š (to fold)
√ḥ-m-v (to pay respect)
√ḥ-m-s (to embrace)
√ḥ-m-l (to sit; to set [causative])
√ḥ-f-b (to fall apart)
√ḥ-f-s (to annihilate)
√ḥ-f-f (to crumble apart [intr.])
√q-v-n (to ascend)
√q-d-b (to absorb, to devour)
√q-d-n (to nibble)
√q-d-š (to cannibalize)
√q-s-b (to be strewn all over the place)
√q-s-s (to lie [down])
√q-ž-d (to choke)
√q-ž-s (to be paralyzed)
√q-ž-n (to place oneself in a bad situation)
√q-m-d (to digest)
√q-m-s (to rest, to stop)
√q-n-s (to leap, to jump)
√q-n-n (to climb)
√q-n-š (to climb in)
√ṉ-r-r (to lift)
It's amazing how many verbs you can derive from just 70.
Also, I definitely think my conlang is very agglutinative.

Žaẏ ṛ-tuHammar-pačsuliẕu sulal!
I wield the Banhammer!
Oh, cool, congratulations! Although, if you don't mind my asking, what do you mean by "quota"?
ieuan wrote:I finally finished my syllable structure for Y-Lang.

The onset is the most complex:
-Any individual consonant
-Non-Laryngeal Stop + Approx
-Non-Laryngeal Fric + Approx
-Non-Laryngeal Stop + Labial or Coronal Fric where voicing matches
(Empty onsets are not allowed)

Nucleus:
-Any vowel
-Any vowel followed by one of /j w/ - /ɨj/ /ɨw/ become [ij uw]
-Any vowel other than /ə/ followed by /ə/

Coda:
-Empty
-Any Nasal
-Any Fricative
Very interesting. [:D] What POAs are considered laryngeal in this language?

Omzinesý
runic
runic

Post by Omzinesý » 04 Aug 2015 23:49

I wrote new pages of Vtayn grammar. Description of auxiliary verbs still isn't ready.
Then I started describing fortis and lenis forms which I stole from Northern Saami.
Their functions aren't clear even in Saami.

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 05 Aug 2015 03:24

Today's accomplishment is actually a realisation. For a while now, I've been slowly working o Proto-Híí, the protolanguage of my Híí language family. I based it on Proto-Algonquian, but changed a few things like having a lateral fricative and approximant instead of a dental fricative and a tap.

This morning I realised that I've actually just recreated Proto-Algonquian, as nobody actually knows whether PA *θ *r were /θ ɾ/ or /ɬ l/.

So now I feel anything but clever. [¬.¬]

I do have some weird approximants and glottals though.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 05 Aug 2015 03:51

While on a break from work today I decided to go walking and making and found some interesting words of Queranarran, the language of the Daine. A fantastic source of inspiration, just walking and seeing and paying heed to the inspiration you get! -- I saw a girl with yellow hair and heard the word borsambarein, to brush out long hair; I saw the bricks and stones of the walkway outside and heard the word ihurryo, a level place of any kind, but especially a stone paved court. I saw a picture of trees and heard the word pirurhambein, to go traipsing in the woods. I saw (and heard!) someone typing away on their computer and heard the word ticlactlackein, to rattle dice(like objects); to rattle and chatter ones teeth. I thought about an Australian person and heard the word ûllurcu, a kind of reddish kind of shaggyish milch cow.

It is terribly nice to be unencumbered by the requirements of diachronicity and ages long threads & webs of ancestral forms! Just lamatyave!

I also found out that in some rather curious instances, if a Daine wishes to find out something very specific, she must seek for the more general. Just the opposite of us. For example, a man goes into the E.R. and says "I hurt my hand"; the nurse, wanting to specify, asks a narrowing question: "which one?" To which he will specify "the left".

Now, a Daine fellow could come into the house of the healer and say turcundare cora-ateh, the verbal noun of which means "to injure the left hand or foot", and the 1.s.masc. pronoun ateh is here conjugated for past tense, cora-. So "injure-left-hand/foot yester-I(masc)". The healer, wanting also to specify the injury's location, must ask the patient a more general question: "what hurts?" He will answer para-micamac, "from.outside.to.inside-hand". Micamac just means "hand", rather oddly enough, without relation to laterality. In asking to more generally describe what hurts, she can now conclude that the left hand was hurt by injury from the outside, rather than by some injury arising from within (that would be sha-micamac).

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 05 Aug 2015 06:31

Omzinesý wrote:I wrote new pages of Vtayn grammar. Description of auxiliary verbs still isn't ready.
Then I started describing fortis and lenis forms which I stole from Northern Saami.
Their functions aren't clear even in Saami.
Good luck with what you're working on!
DesEsseintes wrote:Today's accomplishment is actually a realisation. For a while now, I've been slowly working o Proto-Híí, the protolanguage of my Híí language family. I based it on Proto-Algonquian, but changed a few things like having a lateral fricative and approximant instead of a dental fricative and a tap.

This morning I realised that I've actually just recreated Proto-Algonquian, as nobody actually knows whether PA *θ *r were /θ ɾ/ or /ɬ l/.

So now I feel anything but clever. [¬.¬]

I do have some weird approximants and glottals though.
Well, I'm sorry to hear you realized something you find undesirable, but if it means anything, I wouldn't say that really detracts anything from your efforts at all.
elemtilas wrote:
Spoiler:
While on a break from work today I decided to go walking and making and found some interesting words of Queranarran, the language of the Daine. A fantastic source of inspiration, just walking and seeing and paying heed to the inspiration you get! -- I saw a girl with yellow hair and heard the word borsambarein, to brush out long hair; I saw the bricks and stones of the walkway outside and heard the word ihurryo, a level place of any kind, but especially a stone paved court. I saw a picture of trees and heard the word pirurhambein, to go traipsing in the woods. I saw (and heard!) someone typing away on their computer and heard the word ticlactlackein, to rattle dice(like objects); to rattle and chatter ones teeth. I thought about an Australian person and heard the word ûllurcu, a kind of reddish kind of shaggyish milch cow.
That's good news! [:)]
elemtilas wrote:I also found out that in some rather curious instances, if a Daine wishes to find out something very specific, she must seek for the more general. Just the opposite of us. For example, a man goes into the E.R. and says "I hurt my hand"; the nurse, wanting to specify, asks a narrowing question: "which one?" To which he will specify "the left".

Now, a Daine fellow could come into the house of the healer and say turcundare cora-ateh, the verbal noun of which means "to injure the left hand or foot", and the 1.s.masc. pronoun ateh is here conjugated for past tense, cora-. So "injure-left-hand/foot yester-I(masc)". The healer, wanting also to specify the injury's location, must ask the patient a more general question: "what hurts?" He will answer para-micamac, "from.outside.to.inside-hand". Micamac just means "hand", rather oddly enough, without relation to laterality. In asking to more generally describe what hurts, she can now conclude that the left hand was hurt by injury from the outside, rather than by some injury arising from within (that would be sha-micamac).
Fascinating! I quite like the quick specificity allowed by para- and sha-. Does turcundare cora-ateh mean "I, a man, injured my left hand or one of my feet", or "I, a man, injured my left hand or my left foot"? I'd assume the latter, especially based on the gloss, but I want to clarify just in case.