What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by felipesnark » 10 Apr 2016 23:29

I decided to negate verbs in Shonkasika using a negative auxiliary (cf. Finnish). The main verb, which still inflects for voice (causative + active, middle, passive) shifts to a connegative form (via suffix) while the auxiliary inflects for TAM and person:

laidot
laido-t
eat-1SG
I eat

laidosh vet
laido-sh ve-t
eat-NEG not-1SG
I don't eat

laidotesh vipeks
laido-te-sh ve-ipe-ks
eat-PASS-NEG not-PERF-3PL
They haven't been eaten
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs including Shonkasika: http://felipesnark.weebly.com/ It's a work in progress!

Larryrl
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Larryrl » 11 Apr 2016 07:49

Ketumak wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:I find the best method for me to kill a conlang is to declare it my Main Project where I'm going to get everything "right". [>_<]
That's bad luck. I hope I'm not that far gone, myself, but yes, if you tell yourself something is just a side project then good enough is good enough, you write something down and move on to the next problem. Tell yourself something is a big project and you agonise before writing then revise afterwards.

Maybe the trick is to convince the brain something is just a side project, when it isn't really, if that's at all possible?

I tried that. Didn't work for me.
GLA LÊ
He moved toward me.

Ê TRU GLA
I moved away from him.

Larryrl
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Larryrl » 11 Apr 2016 07:57

Worked more on a new language I call Matrix which I started yesterday. The reason I call it matrix is because it is designed using a series of tables to seperate descriptors, from things, actions and pronouns and such. Words are then made up of the table identifier plus the letters to make the word.

example:

Pe is the pronoun identifier. Yo is the word for you. So peyo = you.

m is the letter for i / me. So pem = i /me

Ad is the ending for pronouns that show possession

so pemad = my / mine

peyoad = your / yours

It uses the English alphabet except for the C. K is used for C. Vowels are spoken like Spanish the consonnts as in English.

I'll post more as I see how it goes. So far it is kewl.
GLA LÊ
He moved toward me.

Ê TRU GLA
I moved away from him.

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 11 Apr 2016 22:00

Larryrl, ,Larryrl, Larryrl!

Vion bu ketes, Larryrl?
INTERR.ADV 2SG be-PRS <Larryrl>

Viu bu ketes hiete?
INTERR.PRN.N 2SG be-PRS do-PRS.PTCP

Lu espes kund uferut bue ubefbemo
1SG hope-PRS CNJ thing-PL 2SG.GEN be.good-INCHOAT.MOD
Spoiler:
I hope that things are well.
pēž benku
peace 2SG=PRP

jute
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by jute » 12 Apr 2016 18:24

A new translation

Also thought a bit how to link the nominalized subclauses I use with the mainclauses, and how to prevent these from becoming too ambiguous. At first, I had no way to mark agent and patient in them, as I couldn't decide on a fixed word order. Now I repurposed a different preposition so that that wouldn't be a problem anymore.
Jutean: Hawaiian phonology meets Tagalog, with English ergativity and Mandarin tenselessness added.
Also on CWS.
Information on Juteans and their homeland

Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing » 13 Apr 2016 22:20

The latest word in Miirna: vaattuunkiiptuun aakkaakkiikkaa – 'Chinese mountain cat'

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 14 Apr 2016 06:07

Xing... Maybe your sig should be in a spoiler tag? It's ginormagantuan...

(And more than 10x longer than that post!)

Larryrl
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Larryrl » 14 Apr 2016 10:19

Lambuzhao wrote:Larryrl, ,Larryrl, Larryrl!

Vion bu ketes, Larryrl?
INTERR.ADV 2SG be-PRS <Larryrl>

Viu bu ketes hiete?
INTERR.PRN.N 2SG be-PRS do-PRS.PTCP

Lu espes kund uferut bue ubefbemo
1SG hope-PRS CNJ thing-PL 2SG.GEN be.good-INCHOAT.MOD
Spoiler:
I hope that things are well.
pēž benku
peace 2SG=PRP

Yeah me too. :)

Seriously It is working out way better than it even did in my head when I got the first inspiration for it. However in fairness, I must correct an error I made in my previous post. Not all matrixes that have an identifier, use said identifier as the beginning of the word. Those who read my previous post know that peyo = you the "pe" is the identifier. But words like miten are in the thing noun matrix, which has the obje identifier for the matrix, but the obje is not used as part of the word. miten gets a "U" at the end as that is the part of speech ending for single nouns. I kind of decided if it needed categorizing like singers or bands, then the identifier would be used in front of the abbreviation for the word followed by a part of speech ending. If it was just a regular word then it would get a part of speech ending. Conjunctions and Prepositions do not have a part of speech ending.
GLA LÊ
He moved toward me.

Ê TRU GLA
I moved away from him.

Larryrl
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Larryrl » 14 Apr 2016 21:13

I got a pdf file printed of the very early workings of the matrix language itself, the link is https://www.dropbox.com/s/8rzsc365m5csw ... t.pdf?dl=0. So far there is no grammar written up for it as I am still visualizing the concept. But for those who would like a sneak peek have a look.
GLA LÊ
He moved toward me.

Ê TRU GLA
I moved away from him.

ol bofosh
roman
roman
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh » 17 Apr 2016 22:56

Not exactly today, but recently got the conlang bug again and a few ideas have come to me...

Gnoughish
Contemplating the copula and wondered about case and how it would work, then came up with this...
Equative "I am that man" (that man is me)
Both "I" and "that man" would be in the nominative.

Ascriptive - I am a man (*a man is me)
"I" would be nominative and "a man" would be accusative.

Another thing was moving an prepositional adjunct to subject position by prefixing the preposition on the verb.
I heard a big noise in the alleyway > alleyway in-heard a big noise by me
A big noise was heard in the alleyway > alleyway in-heard a big noise.

Anyone got a clue what that might be called?

Alahithian
Thought of a way to create "a lot" and "a bit".
a bit more > fix-bila (less-more)
a lot more > bila-bila (more-more)
a bit less > fix-fix (less-less)
a lot less bila-fix (more-less)

Psychlang
I'm experimenting with a complicated gender system. At first I thought "abstract, concrete, dynamic", but looked at this Branches of Science image, and based them on that - though the "grammatical" names would be something different from here.

Formal science - considered making it "abstract", but looking through some example words, thought it might simpler to make it part of the social sciences

Physical science - used to describe things that are concrete, inanimate and non-living

Life science - concrete and living (plants, animals, ecosystems, organs, etc.)

Social science - anything social, psycological or abstract goes hear

Earth & Space - did consider a "macro" gender, but as I got smaller "hill", "mountain" I realised it started getting a bit arbitrary, so this would just become part of "physical".

Other categories:
Dynamic - for any actions, activities and events. I did consider thinking of each verbal noun in terms of the sciences above and allocating them to each gender, and though it could've been possible, it got a little complicated, so it remains a separate gender

Socio-physical - this is a category for things like "city", "market", "country" and "Internet", things which are based in physical objects and places but have some sort of social function. I was considering having separate words for each aspect and putting them in "social" and "physical" (or macro) genders above - for instance, a city has its physical part and the social side, and so there'd be two distinct words to represent this.

Jake
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Jake » 20 Apr 2016 05:44

I translated the 50 states. Some are pretty close to their English names (Aláska, Pensílvénja, Mínesoda, Okahoma), and some don't look anything like them (Nedikota, Juta, Xoxja, Efodja, Ni-Joka, Vodha-Ajla). And I even have an obscure reference (Legmontena) just because.

Oh, Vodha is my micronation's currency. So, Vodha-Ajla means "Vodha Island". That's weird.

Jake
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Jake » 20 Apr 2016 06:23

Okay, now I made Cyrillic and Greek versions of my alphabet. Here is an example:

"Hello! How are you? I am bored."
Latin: Pivic! Komocti wa? Ja uny abosidi.
Greek: Πιριψ! Κομοψτι ωα? Ηα υνς αβοσιδι.
Cyrillic: Пивиш! Комошти юа? Яа унь абосиди.

Larryrl
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Larryrl » 21 Apr 2016 18:08

Jake wrote:I translated the 50 states. Some are pretty close to their English names (Aláska, Pensílvénja, Mínesoda, Okahoma), and some don't look anything like them (Nedikota, Juta, Xoxja, Efodja, Ni-Joka, Vodha-Ajla). And I even have an obscure reference (Legmontena) just because.

Oh, Vodha is my micronation's currency. So, Vodha-Ajla means "Vodha Island". That's weird.
I know what you mean. Most of my matrix language is abbreviations of English words, but where it gets different is when you add the Esperanto like part of speech endings, and some matrix headings as prefixes.
GLA LÊ
He moved toward me.

Ê TRU GLA
I moved away from him.

alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » 21 Apr 2016 23:22

Did some allophony work in Tirina today, dealing primarily with verb and adjective inflections. Nothing too interesting to report there. However, I also ended up making a change in the construction of so-called copular constructions (e.g. "the man is a baker", "the man is ugly"). In Tirina, these are formed through simple juxtaposition of the subject and object:

Edir enada.
man male.baker
The man is a baker.

I've now changed the way adjectives are used in these constructions, though. You can now use the uninflected form of an adjective as the object (previously, they were inflected, which made for some ambiguity):

Edir aluse. Edir adiel.
man ugly | man confusing
The man is ugly. The man is confusing.

If the adjective is inflected, then it must be a noun phrase, not a sentence in and of itself:

edir alused, edir adieled
man ugly-MASC | man confusing-MASC
the ugly man, the confusing man

Of course, this leads to a minor complication in that adverbs are also just uninflected adjectives. However, I did a few experiments and it shouldn't be an issue (as adverbs can't modify nouns):

Edir aluse adiel.
man ugly confusing
The man is confusingly ugly. (adiel is an adverb modifying aluse)

edir alused adiel
man ugly-MASC confusing
the confusingly ugly man (again, adiel is modifying aluse)

edir alused adieled
man ugly-MASC confusing-MASC
the confusing, ugly man (now adiel is an adjective, not an adverb)

Edir aluse ko adiel.
man ugly and confusing
The man is ugly and confusing. (the conjunction separates aluse and adiel, indicating that neither is an adverb here)

No commentary on the male gender is intended, I swear this just happened to be two of the first adjectives on a list I had handy. [;)]
Last edited by alynnidalar on 27 Apr 2016 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

ol bofosh
roman
roman
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh » 23 Apr 2016 06:21

Sounds like an interesting system. Is there a way of dealing with tenses (if you have it), such as "the man was ugly/confusing"?

alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » 23 Apr 2016 22:27

You can use adverbs for that, e.g.:

Idar edir aluse.
PST man ugly
The man was ugly.

Chagen
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Chagen » 25 Apr 2016 03:09

Sounds similar to what Pazmat can do where a bare adjective is a copular phrase while an inflected one is modifying the noun:

qiḥā bram
man-DEF.SG ugly
The man is ugly.

qiḥā bramā
man-DEF.SG ugly-ATHEM-DEF.SG
The ugly man.

Pazmat differs in that adverbs are specifically marked by inflecting the adjective in the athematic instrumental/dative (depends on dialect); it goes after the word it modifies:

qiḥā bram kovīram
man-DEF.SG ugly confusing-INSTR
The man is confusingly ugly.

qiḥā bramā kovīram
man-DEF.SG ugly-ATHEM-DEF.SG confusing-INSTR
The confusingly ugly man.

Also your method of marking glosses is MUCH cleaner than mine and takes less clicks. Gonna have to steal that one.

Fun fact: the root kover- "confuse" literally means "think-cheat" or "mind-cheat"; other derivations include kovīrarā "confusion, delirium, psychotic episode" and kovayram- "utterly baffled, mystified" > yajhitasan jhāṣ kovayramva vardhṛvyū "(This) exam completely baffled me/I bombed this exam" (lit. "This exam placed me into being utterly confused")

(kovayramva [ko.vaj.'ɻam.va] is a rather pretty word, don't you think? A shame it's attached to a such a negative meaning.)
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S

HoskhMatriarch
mayan
mayan

Post by HoskhMatriarch » 25 Apr 2016 07:44

I finally finished my 121 subject and object agreement affixes and made some basic sentences. I'm also up to 37 words. I also worked on an abugida for that language Keenir made.
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light

Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir » 25 Apr 2016 09:57

HoskhMatriarch wrote:I finally finished my 121 subject and object agreement affixes and made some basic sentences.
kudos!
looking forwards to reading them.
I'm also up to 37 words. I also worked on an abugida for that language Keenir made.
coolness.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 25 Apr 2016 10:02

HoskhMatriarch wrote:I finally finished my 121 subject and object agreement affixes and made some basic sentences. I'm also up to 37 words. I also worked on an abugida for that language Keenir made.
W00T~! Sweetness. [:D]
Hope to see something :con: from you on the Conversation Thread.
[;)]