waːɸaʔmąn̼ʉ̨ːʔɸɜ
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter

Illuminatus
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Illuminatus » 18 Oct 2016 17:40

Today I worked on a phonology for the restart of one of my prior conlangs, Sevòn. When I first created Sevòn I had way too many phonemes, especially for the vowels/monophthongs. Besides, there were some other features I do not like anymore. So I have been toying with the thought of giving that conlang a restart, until I finally started today. The phonemic inventory is still quite big (or at least not small), but compared to the older versions it has shrunk immensely.

/b t d c ɟ k g/ <b t d c j k g>
/f v ð~θ s z ʃ ʒ ʝ~j x ɣ h/ <f v ð s z š ž y x ǧ h>
/m n ɲ ŋ/ <m n ň ṅ>
/r̥ r l ɬ/ <ř r l ł>

/ä ɛ e i ɨ ɔ o u/ <a è e i î ò o u>

Until now every combination of vowels is possible - at least in theory. I'll decide later which diphthongs/triphthongs I am going to take finally. I haven't decided on allophones yet, except for the ones you can see above. Probably /b/ is going to be pronounced like [p] when it is next to voiceless obstruents. Maybe that will apply to other voiced plosives/obstruents, too. If you have any comments or suggestions, feel free to express them.

By the way, my lexicon already has 27 entries! Most of them are taken from the old lexicon and adapted to the new phonology. Hooray!
:deu:

felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark » 19 Oct 2016 00:21

Illuminatus wrote:Today I worked on a phonology for the restart of one of my prior conlangs, Sevòn. When I first created Sevòn I had way too many phonemes, especially for the vowels/monophthongs. Besides, there were some other features I do not like anymore. So I have been toying with the thought of giving that conlang a restart, until I finally started today.
[...]
By the way, my lexicon already has 27 entries! Most of them are taken from the old lexicon and adapted to the new phonology. Hooray!
Kudos! I've done the same thing before. I've reinvented/restarted conlangs and have cannibalized the old lexicon.

I have worked on some modal type particles for Shonkasika. This is what I've come up with so far:
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs including Shonkasika: http://felipesnark.weebly.com/ It's a work in progress!

Chagen
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Chagen » 19 Oct 2016 02:48

I have bounced around a few new ideas in my head for Pazmat, most prominent of which is altering er-stems a little bit. Now their definite singulars will be in -yū-: cṛsyūva "with the girl", vēgyūmi briqīyūmi "with the thick book". This also means they now take the same case endings as their ar-stem cousins. I like this, as I do like Cy clusters (and Cv clusters, but I never really got the chance to use them in inflection in Pazmat outside of the 2nd conjugation 1P.INCL aśva). However, the NOM is often -irū too, though this is more restricted to writing (using -irū in the other cases is almost completely restricted to extremely archaic speech).

Man it's hilarious how much these nouns have changed. This is, like, the fifth time I'm messed with them, while the ar-stem nouns have remained almost completely identical. I should also probably create a paradigm for consonant-stems too. Once those are done, I have these noun-classes:

Athematics
Ablauting Suffix Nouns
Er-Stems
Ir-stems
R-Syllabics and E-Syllabics (all the other syllabics are gone or at least drastically reduced, having been swallowed up into these two)
Consonant Stems

That seems about right.

...Actually, on second though, athematics are Consonant-stems for all intents and purposes. Whoops. Then again, in PIE, there were multiple kinds of consonant-stem nouns, depending on how the accent was affected by the cases, so I have license to create multiple redundant classes here.

Given that the er-stems are supposed to be the counterparts to the ablauting suffix nouns, I should probably change the former into a whole class of "Non-Ablauting Suffix Nouns", or perhaps "Invariant Suffix nouns", defined by having a suffix which never changes grade throughout the entire declension.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 19 Oct 2016 03:35

Fleur wrote:I made a thing
http://i.imgur.com/J1UvrNy.png

I also added a ton of new words to Riyan, and went through some old ones I didn't like and changed them.
I now like Riyan again. Which is good, as I'm trying to not be a scrapper anymore [:P]
Whatever you do,
don't press that big, red, shiny candy-like button!
[;)]

Chagen
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Chagen » 19 Oct 2016 04:14

Time to work on Pazmat again. I'm already thinking of giving it a new case, as overloaded as this does make the nominal system. I want a case that isn't super-specialized; in other words, one which can have a very wide set of meanings, and especially one which can be used with other words such as particles and nouns. I therefore don't want to use a special locative case, as we already have a generic locative, allative (dative), and ablative (ablocative) case and Pazmat is not supposed to be like the Finnic languages anyway

I choose the Semblative/Essive. This fits pretty much every single thing I'm looking for. Also it can contrast with the Ablocative case, much like how the Privative contrasts with the Instrumental. The only thorny issue is how the Locative already functions as a semi-Essive, especially in the verbal participles, but I can have the Essive mean "as if X was [verb]ing" or summat while the locative still means "while/before/after [verb]ing". Also, the post-particle already means "like/as if"...wont it be completely pointless if an Essive already exists?

I swear this will be the last case I add.

Illuminatus
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Illuminatus » 19 Oct 2016 15:04

I have been working on filling my new Lexicon of Sevòn today. I have already created some derivational morphemes, so I can create words that are related to already existing ones. For example I have lîs ("silver") and lîsnèda ("silvery"), where the suffix -nèda indicates "looking/seeming similar to something".

Now I need to work on the grammar more. I am not sure yet how I want the verbs to be. I didn't really like them in the "old" Sevòn and want to change them now.
:deu:

ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals » 19 Oct 2016 22:23

I finished the numbers from one to ten in a small Slavic conlang project of mine. No orthography yet because I can't find a way that doesn't look like a mess.

1- [ˈja.d̪ʲɔn̪]
2 - [ˈd̪ɔ.vo]
3 - [ˈt̪r(ʲ)aj]
4 - [ˈt͡ɕi.t̪ər]
5 - [ˈpʲã(n̪)t̪]
6 - [ˈɕis̪t̪]
7 - [ˈɕi.d̪əm]
8 - [ˈvʲi.s̪əm]
9 - [ˈd̪ʲi.vʲã(n̪)t̪]
10- [ˈd̪ʲi.ɕã(n̪)t̪]
Native: :deu:
Learning: :gbr:, :chn:, :tur:, :fra:

Zhér·dûn a tonal Germanic conlang

old stuff: Цiски | Noattȯč | Tungōnis Vīdīnōs

felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark » 20 Oct 2016 01:17

More work on those discourse particles, now with examples!

He laidoses go.
3SG.ACC eat-PST.SUBJ-3SG potential
“He probably ate it”

He laidoses mu.
3SG.ACC eat-PST.SUBJ-3SG dubitative
“Maybe he ate it. (I doubt it).”

He laidoyus ca!
3SG.ACC eat-OPT-3SG jussive
“He shall eat it!”

He laidosas eka?
3SG.ACC eat-PST-3SG interrogative
“Did he eat it?”

He laidosas ishdah.
3SG.ACC eat-PST-3SG indeed
“He ate it, surely/clearly/obviously”

He laidosas kran.
3SG.ACC eat-PST-3SG belief
“He ate it, I think.”
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs including Shonkasika: http://felipesnark.weebly.com/ It's a work in progress!

Sglod
sinic
sinic

Post by Sglod » 21 Oct 2016 21:45

I started a new project. Here are some noun declensions. There will be more than four cases eventually.

animate - stress on last syl.
kungá - dog
NOM [kʰoˈŋa] kungá
ACC [ˈk͡ŋ̊ʰaɫɘ] kngáľi
GEN [kʰoˈŋadn] kungán
INS [ˈk͡ŋʰaðœ] kngáđë

mratú - cat
NOM [mɾæˈtʰʊ] mratú
ACC [mɹ̩ˈtʰʊɫɘ] mrtúľi
GEN [mɾæˈtʰʊdn] mratún
INS [mɹ̩ˈtʰʊðœ] mrtúđë

hezís - sheep
NOM [hæˈd͡zɨs] hezís
ACC [hæˈd͡zɨɫːɘ] hezíľľi
GEN [hæˈd͡zɨsn̩] hezísn
INS [hæˈd͡zɨðːœ] hezíđđë

inanimate - stress on first syl.
láđa - apple
NOM [ˈɬaðæ] láđa
ACC [ˈɬaðʁ̞o] láđľu
GEN [ˈɬaðædn] láđan
INS [ˈɬaðːœ] láđđë

gótik - piece of clothing
NOM [ˈgɔt͡sɘkʰ] gótik
ACC [ˈgɔt͡sɢʁ̞o] gótigľu
GEN [ˈgɔt͡sɘk͡ʰŋ̩] gótikn
INS [ˈgɔt͡skðœ] gótigđë

protondonor
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by protondonor » 21 Oct 2016 22:17

Sglod wrote: ACC [ˈk͡ŋ̊ʰaɫɘ] kngáľi
ACC [mɹ̩ˈtʰʊɫɘ] mrtúľi
INS [hæˈd͡zɨðːœ] hezíđđë
GEN [ˈɬaðædn] láđan
ACC [ˈgɔt͡sɢʁ̞o] gótigľu
These are some really cool sounding words! I'd love to see more declensions in this language.
Kaimen Keling: Uralic goes Germanic
Kolyma Ainu: Ainu language spoken in mainland Siberia
Wetokwa: a priori, spoken in a Death Valley-like environment, former speedlang
Mañi: a Ngerupic language inspired by Oto-Manguean, Cariban, and Mataco-Guaicuruan

Sglod
sinic
sinic

Post by Sglod » 21 Oct 2016 22:48

protondonor wrote:These are some really cool sounding words! I'd love to see more declensions in this language.
Thanks [:D] I'll start a thread on it if when I've got it sorted out enough so you'll see some then.

Ebon
sinic
sinic

Post by Ebon » 22 Oct 2016 18:56

I've been working on three languages with a common ancestor- I mentioned them in the QA thread, the ones where two are agglutinative and one became fusional. I still have some work to do on the sound changes, but the current set gives me cognates like this:

/kʰiʒɛɾli hedʒeɾla xiʒɔld/ <khijerla hejerla khizhold>
/dʒagd dʒaɾda geʒagar/ <djagd jarda gezhagar>

The first two are the agglutinative ones; they stayed in close proximity, whereas the third was completely isolated from them and developed into a rather different direction.

Ceresz
runic
runic

Post by Ceresz » 24 Oct 2016 13:46

Today I messed around with some sound changes. The details will likely change as I actually start working on Proto-Nellian, but it was nice to get a little preview of what's to come. The western branch will evolve into Classical Nellian and it will be the sole member of its branch. It will serve as the prestige language of the area. Eventually, it will be supplanted by an as of yet unnamed language (sort of like the situation with Akkadian and Sumerian). The eastern branch, on the other hand, will likely have two or three daughters spoken far to the east of the Nellian homeland (hence the name).

Here's a little table of words in Proto-Nellian, Proto-West-Nellian, and Proto-East-Nellian. The words don't really mean anything - they were created solely for the purpose of testing out the sound changes. The names of the various branches, much like the sound changes themselves, are tentative.

And here are the preliminary sound changes. I will have to add more exceptions later, like in the rule k/č/_[ií]/C_, where the exception prevents *makki from becoming *makči. Although, as I'm thinking about it, perhaps it should really be *makki → *mačči → *mači. I'm also thinking about having intervocalic stops disappear rather than merge with the glottal stop. But of course I should probably save some sound changes for the daughter langs. Anyway, those are problems for another day.

Code: Select all

V=aiueoáíúéó
C=mnŋptcčk'sšxhwrly
L=áíúéó
S=aiueo
O=oó
A=aá
P=ptcčksšx
B=bdzǧgsžġ
R=mnrl

--Proto-Western sound changes--

NOTE: The sound changes P/B/_ etc. is only there for SCA2. Allophonic voicing already occured in Proto-Nellian. Degemination simply phonemicized the appearence of voiced stops in these environments. A word-initial contrast later arose through borrowing from Turic speakers that migrated from the North, after the Eastern Nellian speakers had left the area.

c/s/_
s/x/_k
S/L/_ks
ks/x/_
k/č/_[ií]/C_
p/w/_/C_
kʷ/p/_/_[uú]
kʷ/k/_[uú]
O/A/_
P/B/V_V
P/B/R_
P/B/R_
P//_²
nd/n/_
mb/m/_
ng/ŋ/_

--Proto-Eastern sound changes--

x//_#
kʷ/k/_
S/L/_hC
h//_C
k/s/_[ií]/C_
č/s/_
[ptcčk]/'/V_V
[ptcčk]/'/_#
mp/pp/_
nt/tt/_
nk/kk/_
P//_²
r/l/_

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 24 Oct 2016 16:58

Tree days of more or less careful copying, illuminating and eradicating late-noticed mistakes have yielded this.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » 24 Oct 2016 18:02

Egerius wrote:Tree days of more or less careful copying, illuminating and eradicating late-noticed mistakes have yielded this.
Beautiful!

I have just initiated a language for a sci-fantasy setting. I've given it an Austronesian style trigger system, with the addition of a reflexive. It also has an interesting person-marking system: a prefix marks whatever the "trigger" is, while a suffix marks a non-trigger argument, which is usually the agent except with Agent-trigger verbs, where it is the patient, recipient (if present). A verb is normally inherently agent- or patient-trigger, and takes either prefixes or suffixes.

There are also four aspects: perfective, continuative, stative/resultative and habitual, of which one of the first two is inherent in each root as well. These aspects also take a variety of morphological forms.

There is also a large pre-nominal determiner system, which marks distance (proximal, medial, distal and absent), demonstrative vs. non-demonstrative and gender (masculine, non-masculine and plural), coming to 24 forms in all.

Some examples.

nẽngēya'ate!
1-hit<CONT>-2.O
You're hitting me!

tongēnda'a.
2-hit<REF>
You hit yourself.

rānjaonĩ yo njōrai wosoi.
INS-eat-1.O ABS.N knife fish
I ate fish with the knife.

põsosombe'otō mõ ndiro.
LOC-HAB-sleep-1.PL.INCL PRO.DEM.N house
We sleep in this house.

A small aesthetic question: I'd have an easier time posting on this language if I didn't have to go copying and pasting the diacritics in all the time. I do have a sheet with some shortcuts on given to me by my foreign languages teachers, but the tilde is missing for e (why is e-tilde so separated from the tilde for the other vowel letters in unicode?) and macrons are not present at all. So would my language look good if I switched to, say acute/grave and circumflex for length and nasalisation, respectively?

opipik
runic
runic

Post by opipik » 24 Oct 2016 19:46

Some suggestions:

/Vː Ṽ/ <VV V̂> <V: V̂> <V: V̈> <VV V̈>
/Vː Ṽ ʔ/<VV V' q/x/c> <V: V' q/x/c>
Spoiler:
nêngeeya'ate!
tongeenda'a.
raanjaonî yo njoorai wosoi.
pôsosombe'otoo mô ndiro.

nênge:ya'ate!
tonge:nda'a.
ra:njaonî yo njo:rai wosoi.
pôsosombe'oto: mô ndiro.

nënge:ya'ate!
tonge:nda'a.
ra:njaonï yo njo:rai wosoi.
pösosombe'oto: mö ndiro.
nëngeeya'ate!
tongeenda'a.
raanjaonï yo njoorai wosoi.
pösosombe'otoo mö ndiro.
ne'ngeeyaqate!
tongeendaqa.
raanjaoni' yo njoorai wosoi.
po'sosombeqotoo mo' ndiro.

Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » 24 Oct 2016 21:46

I think I'll go for one of these.
Spoiler:
nêngéya'ate!
tongénda'a.
ránjaonî yo njórai wosoi.
pôsosombe'otó mô ndiro.

nëngéya'ate!
tongénda'a.
ránjaonï yo njórai wosoi.
pösosombe'otó mö ndiro.

nêngëya'ate!
tongënda'a.
ränjaonî yo njörai wosoi.
pôsosombe'otö mô ndiro.

nëngêya'ate!
tongênda'a.
ränjaonï yo njôrai wosoi.
pösosombe'otô mö ndiro.
Or maybe I keep the tildes, and I only have to copy and paste e-tilde, giving this:
Spoiler:
nẽngéya'ate!
tongénda'a.
ránjaonĩ yo njórai wosoi.
põsosombe'otó mõ ndiro.
Actually I think I'll go with this.

Chagen
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Chagen » 25 Oct 2016 00:21

I think I just came up with a solution to Pazmat syllabic roots with labials ablauting to either aC or uC (e.g is "I am working", root mṛjh-, marjhṛna or murjhṛna?), with the fact that I'm spinning off ṃ roots to their own weird ablaut class (sort of?). Actually in retrospect, this doesn't really help anything, but I think I will have an answer soon.

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 25 Oct 2016 02:46

Made a quick diachronlang (ie, diachronics on a language)

Guess the language family or the language

shvemm tarme coucash svo tunga
/ʃvemː tarme coʊcaʃ svo tuŋka/
The man put on his clothes.

shi vou presour pitas crunhas
/ʃi voʊ presoʊr pitas cruɲas/
He wanted to buy orange balls.
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.