A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Ahzoh » 08 Sep 2017 01:57

DesEsseintes wrote:
cedh wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:I decided descendants of Takshian would be distinguished between the transformation of the emphatic series, differentiating between aspiration, labialization, pharyngealization, and ejectivization.

East Charric /p̰ t̰ k̰ q̰ l̰ r̰/ > /pʷ~ʍ tʷ~θʷ kʷ~xʷ qʷ~χʷ lʷ rʷ/
West Charric /p̰ t̰ k̰ q̰ l̰ r̰/ > /pʼ tʼ kʼ qʼ (t)ɬʼ rʼ/
Central Charric /p̰ t̰ k̰ q̰ l̰ r̰/ > /pʰ tʰ kʰ qʰ ɬ rʰ/
North East Charric /p̰ t̰ k̰ q̰ l̰ r̰/ > /pˤ tˤ kˤ qˤ lˤ rˤ/
The latter three look fine, but I'm a bit surprised to see labialisation as the reflex of an emphatic series. Probably because "emphatic" usually implies a "throaty" secondary articulation, but labialisation is done with the lips. But then again, maybe it could have gone through Cˤ > Cˠ > Cʷ, which does look somewhat plausible.
Or it could be via sulcalisation.
I mostly went the velarization route but that works even better. I also added palatals to the series.
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku » 08 Sep 2017 12:28

Today I learned that Mandarin Chinese 回 hui2 is a loan from the people's name Uygur. How hard can something actually fuck one's mind, I wonder? [O.O] [O.O] [O.O]
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.

Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » 08 Sep 2017 13:35

Iyionaku wrote:Today I learned that Mandarin Chinese 回 hui2 is a loan from the people's name Uygur. How hard can something actually fuck one's mind, I wonder? [O.O] [O.O] [O.O]
Even more fuckening, it's now the name that's now used for the Hui people, a different Muslim minority of China!

Although thinking about it, the character otherwise means "to turn around, return" and other similar motion-related meanings, which would imply that that was the original meaning of the character, and that the later meaning of "Uyghur" (later foreigner and even later specifically the Hui people) came to it by its usage as a phonetic loan (e.g, it was used because it was the character whose pronunciation was closest to the first syllable of "uygur" when the word was borrowed).

Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku » 08 Sep 2017 13:41

That's what I'd normally say too, which wouldn't have fucked my mind. As you said, there are plenty of phonetic loans. However, according to Wiktionary:
Wiktionary wrote:Etymology
Edit: “Hui”
From earlier name 回回 (huíhuí), variant of 回鶻/回鹘 (Huíhú), from Old Turkic ????? (uygur). See also 維吾爾/维吾尔 (Wéiwú'ěr).
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 10 Sep 2017 12:16

This is more of a realisation than an accomplishment, but it's rather shocking, so I decided to post about it anyway.

I love phonologies with no or next to no bilabials. Adore them. Can't get enough of them. I coo and purr when I look at natlangs like the Iroquoian languages, and I vehemently approve when fellow conlangers post such phonologies (I'm looking at you Frislander).

And yet!

I don't have a single conlang that lacks bilabials! [:O]

And here's what's really odd: I honestly thought I did have such a lang, because many of my conlangs have been through a version where bilabials were removed. All such versions were eventually rejected.

Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » 10 Sep 2017 13:05

DesEsseintes wrote:This is more of a realisation than an accomplishment, but it's rather shocking, so I decided to post about it anyway.

I love phonologies with no or next to no bilabials. Adore them. Can't get enough of them. I coo and purr when I look at natlangs like the Iroquoian languages, and I vehemently approve when fellow conlangers post such phonologies (I'm looking at you Frislander).
Thank you!!! [<3]
And yet!

I don't have a single conlang that lacks bilabials! [:O]

And here's what's really odd: I honestly thought I did have such a lang, because many of my conlangs have been through a version where bilabials were removed. All such versions were eventually rejected.
I was about to admit to being the same myself, till I remembered that I am contributing Proto-Muyan to the Akana project (which despite the name does lack them; it's just a previous version had a descendant which gained them). Other than that though I'm strangely deficient in them as well; I haven't even gone down the labial loss route with Daléekommos (which incidentally I realised now I might have been misspelling it the whole time and it should be Daléekomnos), though that would be an interesting exercise.

Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine » 10 Sep 2017 23:25

I completed a rough sketch of Pannonian nominal declension. Similar to what I originally thought, the masculine and feminine genders tend to merge while the neuter stays distinct. For the most part the declension is preserved, though I believe there may still be a strong analogical process going on.
Spoiler:
1st declension:

Sing:
Nom. -a
Acc. -a
Gen. -i
Dat. -i

Plural:
Nom. -i
Acc. -i
Gen. -ara
Dat. -i

2nd declension (masculine):

Sing.
Nom. -i
Acc. -a
Gen. -i
Dat. -u

Plural:
Nom. -i
Acc. -i
Gen. -ura
Dat. -i

2nd declension (neuter):

Sing.
Nom. -a
Acc. -a
Gen. -i
Dat. -u

Plural:
Nom. -a
Acc. -a
Gen. -ura
Dat. -i

2nd declension (r nouns)

Sing.
Nom. -∅
Acc. -a
Gen. -i
Dat. -u

Plural:
Nom. -i
Acc. -i
Gen. -ura
Dat. -i

3rd declension (masc/fem):

Singular:
Nom. -∅
Acc. -a
Gen. -i
Dat. -i

Plural:
Nom. -i
Acc. -i
Gen. -a
Dat. -ivi

3rd declension (neuter):

Nom. -∅
Acc. -∅
Gen. -i
Dat. -i

Plural:
Nom. -a
Acc. -a
Gen. -a
Dat. -ivi

3rd declension (i-stem masc. and fem):

Nom. -i
Acc. -a
Gen. -i
Dat. -i

Plural:
Nom. -i
Acc. -i
Gen. -ja
Dat. -ivi

3rd declension (i-stem neuter):

Nom. -∅
Acc. -∅
Gen. -i
Dat. -i

Plural:
Nom. -ja
Acc. -ja
Gen. -ja
Dat. -ivi

4th declension (u-stems)

Sing:
Nom. -i
Acc. -a
Gen. -i
Dat. -i

Plural:
Nom. -i
Acc. -i
Gen. -a
Dat. -ivi

5th declension (e-stems)

Sing:
Nom. -i
Acc. -a
Gen. -i
Dat. -i

Plural:
Nom. -i
Acc. -i
Gen. -ira
Dat. -ivi
My Blog
Current Projects:
Crimean Gothic — A Gothic language spoken in Crimea (duh)
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
An unnamed Semitic language spoken in the Caucus.

felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark » 11 Sep 2017 01:23

So Windows 10 Creator's update caused some issues with SIL FieldWorks, which is my main way of managing my lexicon. Basically, it crashed for me when I wanted to add multiple senses to an entry. While a fix is in the pipeline from Microsoft, I've found a workaround for the meantime: Run FieldWorks under Linux Mint in VirtualBox. By putting my project files in Dropbox I can easily access them from inside the virtual machine.
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs including Shonkasika: http://felipesnark.weebly.com/ It's a work in progress!

kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: the first star to the right and straight on 'till mid-afternoon

Post by kiwikami » 11 Sep 2017 22:12

felipesnark wrote:So Windows 10 Creator's update caused some issues with SIL FieldWorks, which is my main way of managing my lexicon. Basically, it crashed for me when I wanted to add multiple senses to an entry. While a fix is in the pipeline from Microsoft, I've found a workaround for the meantime: Run FieldWorks under Linux Mint in VirtualBox. By putting my project files in Dropbox I can easily access them from inside the virtual machine.
That's some bug if the workaround requires switching (even via VM) to a different operating system. [O.O] What on earth did Windows manage to eff up?

I've been rather busy lately moving into a new apartment (my first time living sans roommate - at last, the living space can be tidy), so I suppose that's an accomplishment. There's a week before orientation starts, then classes, and it's mildly overwhelming (I feel like a freshman again, always a little lost in both the geographical and comprehension sense). From a conlanging standpoint, I've been toying with HyPry's and Sialhuin's orthography, trying to settle on something that I actually like; the latter turned out all well and good and a bit less transparent than planned. The former is being stubborn as all hell, but so far is the following:
Spoiler:
p pʰ pˣ t tʰ tˣ k kʰ kˣ k͡p k͡pʰ k͡pˣ ʔ
b p ph d~s t~s th g~c c ch gb cp cph h~'~V
tʷ tʷʰ tʷˣ kʷ kʷʰ kʷˣ
dw tw thw gw cw cwh
m mʷ n nʷ ŋ ŋʷ ŋ͡m
m mw n nw ng ngw nm
p͡ɸ t͡s t͡sʷ t͡ɬ t͡ɬʷ
bh dh dhw dl dlw
ʍ r̥ r̥ʷ l̥ l̥ʷ j̊ j̊ʷ
w r rw l lw j jw

i u e ø ɜ o æ ɑ
i u ë ö e o ä a

Hangwë mwaa pas loc la'anc ëbh, hac.
/ʔɑ.ŋʷe mʷɑʔ pʰɑtʰ l̥okʰ l̥ɑ.ʔɑnk ep͡ɸ ʔɑk/
[ʔɑ.ŋʷe mʷɑh pʰɑs l̥ox l̥ɑ.hɑ̃x ep͡ɸ ʔɑx]
You scratch several circles onto the wall with a fingernail.

Them idh dhë gaa, i cpëtl lö nmër, go në han.
/tˣɜm it͡s t͡se kɑʔ i k͡pʰet͡ɬ l̥ø ŋ͡mer̥ ko ne ʔɑn/
[tˣɜm it͡s t͡se kɑh i k͡pʰet͡ɬ l̥ø ŋ͡mer ko ne ʔɑ̃]
I never speak to people who smell like (an unspecified gas).

I'm somewhat conflicted about the diaeresis, but it works for now.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox » 12 Sep 2017 06:23

I've finally started working on Makǔdorın again. And i am starting to remake an older conlang of mine.
  • :con: Cajun, a descendant of French spoken in Louisiana.
  • :con: Bàsupan, loosely inspired by Amharic.
  • :con: Oddúhath Claire, a fusion of Welsh and Arabic.

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 12 Sep 2017 22:02

DesEsseintes wrote:I have successfully combined and streamlined all the Híí morphophonological processes involving syncope and its interaction with glottal phonemes, gemination of resonants, and tone. So I'm quite pleased. I want to try and encode all this using SCA2 syntax so I can play with running morpheme chains through the sound change applier to get surface forms. If I manage that, I'll actually have to start inventing morphemes. [:O]
I managed to encode all the vowel sandhi rules in Híí this evening, some 27 rules. There are now a total of 71 rules for the synchronic morphophonological processes in Híí.

Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » 12 Sep 2017 23:18

I finally found the time to write up part 2 of my Daléekommos sound changes, because my weekend actually turned out to be even busier than I had planned.

MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov » 12 Sep 2017 23:39

I'm trying pure dependent marking for a change and it's doing me good. The phonotactics and phoneme inventory are complicated enough to not be too boring and yet accommodating to easter eggs and not too out there. Roots so far are a pleasing balance of monosyllables and not-so-monosyllables. Many critical affixes already have definite forms.
I look forward to the project without my prior hangups.

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 12 Sep 2017 23:42

Frislander wrote:I finally found the time to write up part 2 of my Daléekommos sound changes, because my weekend actually turned out to be even busier than I had planned.
I love that you're doing a Algolang. I haven't ever seen an a posteriori one that comes from Proto-Algonquian. [<3] Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » 13 Sep 2017 01:10

qwed117 wrote:
Frislander wrote:I finally found the time to write up part 2 of my Daléekommos sound changes, because my weekend actually turned out to be even busier than I had planned.
I love that you're doing a Algolang. I haven't ever seen an a posteriori one that comes from Proto-Algonquian. [<3] Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Thank you!

You won't have done no, though actually it wasn't the first one to appear on the ZBB. It's actually quite hard work, because while there is an online version of Bloonfield's original sketch (the one he used to prove the applicability of the comparative method to all language families) that sketch is wrong in quite a few places, and it's even missing things like negation (I kid ye not, there's nothing on negation there whatsoever), and that's not counting the sheer amount of grammar that there is (and grammar that is completely different from what I'm used to even as a polysynthesis nut). It's been through multiple iterations but I think I'm getting on top of the morphology now - certainly the nouns are sorted and much of the finite verb morphology as well, but there's still so much left to do, and I do need to try and incorporate more Crow influence (especially with regards to loanwords) this time round as I said I would.

And that's assuming I can even stay with the project in its current form, which tbf it looks like I might manage it but still that spectre is hanging over me.

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 13 Sep 2017 04:43

Started transferring Proto-Mayan dictionary entries onto Wiktionary. Took me a while to figure out how to make an entry in a new language page.
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine » 13 Sep 2017 05:58

Playing around with some ideas for vowel mergers in Pannonian

ā ă > a
ī ĭ > i
ŭ ū > u
ē ĕ ŏ ō > ɛ e ɔ o

Or

ī ē > i
ĭ ĕ > e ɛ
ā ă > a
ŭ ŏ > o ɔ
ō ū > u

The first is closer to the vowel mergers in Eastern Romance but the second one is more interesting to me.
My Blog
Current Projects:
Crimean Gothic — A Gothic language spoken in Crimea (duh)
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
An unnamed Semitic language spoken in the Caucus.

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 13 Sep 2017 08:22

The second one does look more intriguing...

loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn » 13 Sep 2017 13:49

I quite like that second option actually.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet

Lamche
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Lamche » 13 Sep 2017 22:38

Today for the first time I experienced what is commonly known as ANADEW.
Tekian, the conlang I have been working on in the last few years, is a Sino-tibetan language with strong Chinese influence. I wanted a way to tell words apart, and my idea was to change the tone of the last syllable of each word (or more specifically, each noun phrase and each verb phrase). I thought it was some unique feature no natlang had.
Well, I just realized that Min Chinese already does that, but better: tones are changed in all syllables except the last one. Luckily Tekian has some other features I can still believe to be unique.