What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Parlox
greek
greek

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Parlox » 15 Sep 2017 04:45

MrKrov wrote:It's a good thing you can fuck right off since I wasn't complaining and not to you.

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?
  • :con: Cajun, a descendant of French spoken in Louisiana.
  • :con: Bàsupan, loosely inspired by Amharic.
  • :con: Oddúhath Claire, a fusion of Welsh and Arabic.

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 15 Sep 2017 05:28

It's obvious this is NOT going to be productive, I think we should all move along.

@mbrsart: It's a strange combo of fun and nostalgia glancing back over old projects, isn't it? I know for me it is also a great source of "what in the hell did I mean by this notation!?"

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 15 Sep 2017 10:17

Made a bunch more characters for VDT... as well as the one with the most strokes so far (9 in the notation I use, but it's 14 total):

It means "to cut into small pieces," or it can also be used to refer to the pieces themselves if there is a classifier attached to it (which I haven't made yet). I've also decided that there will be singular, paucal and plural numbers as well as an inclusive/exclusive we distinction and an absence of tense in favor of a robust aspectual system. Oh, and the other day I had decided that reduplication will feature as well... likely in nouns and verbs. For verbs it adds a meaning of doing the action again and again (FREQ), but I haven't a clue as of yet what it will do for nouns. Plural marking seems too obvious, but I'm not sure what else to do with it. I am also toying with adding evidentiality because it isn't something I've really ever messed with.
Edit: Oops... didn't realize there wasn't a comment in between my posts. [:x]

Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku » 15 Sep 2017 10:31

Thrice Xandvii wrote:Made a bunch more characters for VDT... as well as the one with the most strokes so far (9 in the notation I use, but it's 14 total):
Huh? Some of the characters you already showed had three rectangulars on the right edge, which I count as 9 strokes alone. Or do you count strokes differently than Chinese does?
Thrice Xandvii wrote:Edit: Oops... didn't realize there wasn't a comment in between my posts.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, as the topic was clearly different.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 15 Sep 2017 10:39

Iyionaku wrote:Huh? Some of the characters you already showed had three rectangulars on the right edge, which I count as 9 strokes alone. Or do you count strokes differently than Chinese does?
I do, actually. Squares and rectangles are made with an L-shaped stroke and then an inverted one. So each one is only 2. Also, the typical system I use to organize characters is to count the strokes that are not part of the "sound-unit" of the character, so the rightmost part is generally ignored unless I am referring to total strokes.

However, I find it cool that you've paid that much attention! [B)]

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 15 Sep 2017 12:34

Thrice Xandvii wrote:Made a bunch more characters for VDT... as well as the one with the most strokes so far (9 in the notation I use, but it's 14 total):

It means "to cut into small pieces," or it can also be used to refer to the pieces themselves if there is a classifier attached to it (which I haven't made yet).
A question of aesthetics: was it intentional or serendipetous that this character actually looks like a knife dicing an onion into small somewhat random sized pieces?
I've also decided that there will be singular, paucal and plural numbers as well as an inclusive/exclusive we distinction and an absence of tense in favor of a robust aspectual system. Oh, and the other day I had decided that reduplication will feature as well... likely in nouns and verbs.
All music to my ears!
For verbs it adds a meaning of doing the action again and again (FREQ), but I haven't a clue as of yet what it will do for nouns. Plural marking seems too obvious, but I'm not sure what else to do with it.
Use it for nominal tense or gender. Use it for some kind of semantic extension of meaning (like English "dark" vs "dark dark"). Use it for negation or nullification.
I am also toying with adding evidentiality because it isn't something I've really ever messed with.
Please, continue messing!

mbrsart
sinic
sinic

Post by mbrsart » 15 Sep 2017 19:20

Thrice Xandvii wrote:@mbrsart: It's a strange combo of fun and nostalgia glancing back over old projects, isn't it? I know for me it is also a great source of "what in the hell did I mean by this notation!?"
I know, right? I spent a few minutes going back over my noun and numeral systems, laughing, and saying, "This is great!"

Though I suppose that could be because I don't have to redo them. I'm a man who craves leisure.
:con: Hra'anh | :eng: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :grc: [:|] | :heb: [:|] | :epo: [:S] | :deu: [:S] | :ita: [:S] | :bra: [:'(] | :fra: [:'(]

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 15 Sep 2017 21:29

elemtilas wrote:A question of aesthetics: was it intentional or serendipetous that this character actually looks like a knife dicing an onion into small somewhat random sized pieces?
Only somewhat. I can't take full credit for that one as sometimes I will write parts of a new character into a Chinese translator and see what characters it suggests I mean for inspiration. In this case one of them had a meaning related to cutting.
Use it for nominal tense or gender. Use it for some kind of semantic extension of meaning (like English "dark" vs "dark dark"). Use it for negation or nullification.
Mayhap it will take on comparative/superlative meaning. Maybe just something like "much."
Please, continue messing!
Oh, I plan to.

But thanks for the encouragement all the same!

I made, and documented, a system of noun "classifiers" in the language. While the chart was a bitch to make in wiki markup language, it does look nice, IMO. It also nicely categorizes the various elements according to the group sub-divisions that they belong to. I am not sure what precisely this heirarchy might be used for (outside of a handy way to organize things) but it did help to inform the character choices as the top-most element in each phonogram does conform to the level of the system that it occupies. For instance, the two non-inanimate physical classifiers both have the same "dots and line" element to them. I am unsure if it can be posited that the system of writing phonograms was a somewhat recent creation and was retroactively applied to simplify the written language as a way to explain how well they match-up to their various pronunciations, or not. Either way, I like it.

I also really like that a bit of a tweak to the form of the non-physical (abstract) classifier was made. I had little reason for needing it. But, I do like that it isn't just the same as the normal form of that particular syllable's phonogram. Just allows a touch of asymmetry and uniqueness to creep in.

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 16 Sep 2017 03:43

mbrsart wrote:I know, right? I spent a few minutes going back over my noun and numeral systems, laughing, and saying, "This is great!"
For me it is generally more a case of "what was I thinking!?" than pleasant surprise at my ideas and being glad that certain things make sense. I find that I under-document things a LOT. I also can clearly take a look at my work and realize exactly how much I have learned based on the assumptions and mistakes that I've made. I think that's one of the reasons that I have a hard time sticking with a project: it becomes obvious to me how wrong or ill-informed somethings were and it would be too much work to go back and fix everything to make it make more sense to me now. Oh well, the process I use now affords me the ability to keep making scripts, so I can't complain. [:)]

Ashtăr Balynestjăr
sinic
sinic

Post by Ashtăr Balynestjăr » 16 Sep 2017 08:51

While bored in my Electric Machines class, I came up with a vague idea for a romlang. Looking at it now, it’s just another boring Gallo-Romance dialect, but it was fun to play around with at the time (or at least more fun than listening to my professor go on and on about the wiring of three-phase transformers).

Classical Latin a ā ae e ē oe i ī o au ō u ū > Vulgar Latin a a ɛ ɛ e e e i ɔ au o o u
a ɛ e i ɔ au o u > a ɛ e i ɔ o u y
ɛ > ja before a resonant
VL /e o/ > /i u/ when unstressed preceding /s/.
/j/ and unstressed /i/ after stressed syllables causes i-mutation: a ja ɔ o u > ɛ jɛ œ ø y
remaining unstressed vowels either drop out or reduce to ə i u
e > ei before intervocalic resonants

tʃənˈtar, jə tʃant, ty ˈtʃantəs, el ˈtʃantə, nus tʃənˈtams, vus tʃanˈtɛts, els ˈtʃantən (to sing)
ˈpjardər, jə pjɛrt, ty pjɛrts, el pjart, nus pərˈdems, vus pərˈdets, els ˈpjardən (to lose)
fiˈnir, jə fiˈnɛs, ty fiˈnɛssəs, el fiˈnɛs, nus fiˈnims, vus fiˈnits, els fiˈnɛssən (to finish)

yn, ˈynə; dus; tres; ˈkwatər; tsiŋk; sjais; set; uit; nɔf; dɛts

ˈfeunə (woman), oun (man), pes (fish), uˈtsjal (bird), tʃan (dog), rəˈðits (root), isˈteilə (star), isˈtaθ (summer)
Plurals: ˈfeunəs, øuns, pessəs, uˈtsjals, tʃɛns, rəˈðitsəs, isˈteiləs, isˈtɛts

ˈtuts ləz ˈɛstərz ˈymans ˈnassən ˈlivərz ɛð iˈwɛuz ɛn diɲiˈtaθ ɛ ˈdraits.
[ˈaʃt̪əɹ ˈbalɨˌnɛsʲtʲəɹ]

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 16 Sep 2017 09:46

That's one thing I miss about college (among many): making languages and scripts in class and really poring all kinds of effort into getting stuff mapped out as fast as possible so that it can be "done" before the period is over... unless tomorrow's class is also boring! [:)]

Numbers!!

In case it isn't clear, the word for each is on the bottom, and the two glyphs are formal and short... Of which it should be obvious that the one with more strokes is the formal variant which is almost never used anymore.
Last edited by Thrice Xandvii on 17 Sep 2017 12:30, edited 1 time in total.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 17 Sep 2017 07:06

Decided that my conplanet Sedi would have a surviving species of pterosaur very much like a Quetzalcoatlus.
Vrkhazhians would call them meḵiṉsi "world terror" because they're large and terrifying and can basically travel the entire planet really fast.
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 17 Sep 2017 11:31

Ahzoh wrote:Decided that my conplanet Sedi would have a surviving species of pterosaur very much like a Quetzalcoatlus.
Vrkhazhians would call them meḵiṉsi "world terror" because they're large and terrifying and can basically travel the entire planet really fast.
Heh, I've for a long time pondered whether to have enormous feathered wyverns in my conworld. On the one hand, who wouldn't want enormous feathered wyverns!? On the other hand, I don't really want to introduce too many fantasy elements, so for now at least, wyverns are not canon.

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 17 Sep 2017 16:47

DesEsseintes wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:Decided that my conplanet Sedi would have a surviving species of pterosaur very much like a Quetzalcoatlus.
Heh, I've for a long time pondered whether to have enormous feathered wyverns in my conworld. On the one hand, who wouldn't want enormous feathered wyverns!? On the other hand, I don't really want to introduce too many fantasy elements, so for now at least, wyverns are not canon.
Shhh, no wyverns, only noom. Noom will give you all that you want. Noom
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 17 Sep 2017 17:24

DesEsseintes wrote:
It isn't fantasy when it's existed before.

MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov » 17 Sep 2017 20:48

No, of course it is. That pterosaurs ever existed is not fantasy, but modern-day pterosaurs exist only in your head and are not real and hence are fantasy.

Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir » 17 Sep 2017 21:02

MrKrov wrote:No, of course it is. That pterosaurs ever existed is not fantasy, but modern-day pterosaurs exist only in your head and are not real and hence are fantasy.
by that logic, conlangs are fantasy -- other languages have existed before, but they don't exist now (modern real languages do exist), and hence are fantasy.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 17 Sep 2017 21:20

Keenir wrote:
MrKrov wrote:No, of course it is. That pterosaurs ever existed is not fantasy, but modern-day pterosaurs exist only in your head and are not real and hence are fantasy.
by that logic, conlangs are fantasy -- other languages have existed before, but they don't exist now (modern real languages do exist), and hence are fantasy.
What? That doesn't sound like the same logic to me at all.

That being said, though, I don't see what's wrong with considering worlds where conlangs are spoken as if they were natlangs fantasy settings to some degree. It's up to the individual conlanger.

MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov » 17 Sep 2017 21:38

Keenir:

I'm confused. Which part did you not get? The part that previously existing things were not fantasy or the part where formerly existing things having modern day continuation (only in your head) is only pretend fantasy fiction? If the latter: show me the pterosaur!

I'm also not sure you know what is a conlang.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 18 Sep 2017 00:15

Dunno, when I hear "fantasy" I think of impossible things, like magic and large fire breathing reptiles with not only four limbs but wings too. Things that intentionally defy our physics and biology and aren't pretending they don't.
Having a modern continuation of an extinct species is just fiction.