What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Fluffy8x
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Fluffy8x » 16 Oct 2017 14:41

An attempt at a conscript for Lek-Tsaro. This is inspired by a childhood cypher of mine, where each pair of glyphs were fused together (e. g. E was a crescent with 2 diagonal strokes, so combining another glyph with E would add the characteristic diagonal strokes to it).

Consonants only, since vowels will be represented by diacritics. This means a total of 288 diacritics (11 vowels plus 1 for no vowel, for both the vowel between the two consonants and the one after the second, and accounting for reverse glyph order).

If it's not clear, the w+ combination involves superimposing a glyph onto a copy of itself rotated 180 degrees.
an siina levian t'isorakateez

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 16 Oct 2017 19:35

gestaltist wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:Made some progress with defining the coastline of one of my conworld's continents:
Green - 0m (sea level)
Beige - 200m
Sand-Brown - 500m
Orange-Brown - 1000m
Brown - 2000m
Purple - 4000m+
Looks nice. One criticism is that the purple kinda looks like water. Maybe you could change it to black or something?
These are all colours I've used based on this map:
https://www.mapsofworld.com/physical-ma ... -world.jpg
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: the first star to the right and straight on 'till mid-afternoon

Post by kiwikami » 16 Oct 2017 20:37

Creyeditor wrote:I would actually call it phrasal (or even utterance level) phonology. Languages often have phonological processes applying across word boundaries. And yes, this is more than intonation and some minimal changes in vowel quality [:D]
That makes good sense! I suppose I didn't think of it as phrasal simply because, as you implied, people tend to think "intonation" when thinking about that. [:D] Thanks!
Thrice Xandvii wrote:Ok.... I really need to know how those squiggles encode anything, because I know there is method to the madness but I can't even pretend to figure it out.
I think saying there's a method may be giving me too much credit, but I'll break down one of the examples, Dräxw tlwum fih da, rën zwërz a. (Below a spoiler cut because it's a big image-heavy.)
Spoiler:
Sun-form script starts with the verb. Here's the root for attack, a very simple one; the notation I use describes this as "extended full bar 11,1 ; extended half bar 5,7":

All root glyphs have an entry point at 12 noon; additional glyphs in sun-form are added within the root's external circle clockwise from that point (loom-form starts with the first argument's glyph rather than the verb's, but does something similar). The only argument of attack is storm, whose root (again a very simple one) is given below (quarter triple spiral 6); my apologies for my poor spiral-drawing-with-mouse skills:

This is a class 24 noun, and takes the appropriate classifier, which also has an entry point; this point doesn't have to line up with that of the noun itself, but if the noun is not fully enclosed within the outer circle of the verb's glyph, it becomes important, as the entry point must be in the part of the noun that is within the verb. The class 24 marker is "chord 12-6 ; quarter arc 12-6":

Added to the storm root, you get:

Stick that in the root. If we orient it so that the chord of the class marker terminates on the verb's outer circle, we can extend it so that it's also a chord for the verb itself; this helps to fill whitespace, which is desirable in the rather ceremonial sun-form script. Storm actually occupies the second argument position, not the first (it's the thing doing the attacking), so we need the first-argument placeholder somewhere counterclockwise of it but after (or on) the verb's entry point. This is where the typo was in the other post; I accidentally used the second-argument placeholder instead, which makes the storm a causative agent with both volition and intention. Below is the verb with storm and arg1 added:

Now the prepositional phrase. Prepositions go outside the outer circle; the negative reference time marker, glossed as "PST", is next when moving clockwise ("twin extended hoop"). "Yesterday" uses the root for sun (quarter hoop ; three-quarter dot) in class 4 (quarter bar 10,2,6 ; outer hoop 6:30). The object of the preposition goes after the preposition itself and intersects the main verb:

Then there's just the particle fi which indicates excess or extreme duration ("all day"); I actually made another typo with this one in the earlier post, leaving out the three dots (and thus accidentally writing the particle meaning very). Fi is derived from a noun (most particles are) and takes the form of part of that noun's glyph sliced into a crescent or semicircular shape, which can extend anywhere between roughly a sixth and a third of the way around the verb root. The noun root fi is written as "quarter dot 12; eighth dot 5,6,7"; this gets turned into the arc seen in the final glyph below. I... also added that "outer hoop 6:30" on the class 4 marker, which I'd left out in the above image. Oops.

That's "Dräxw tlwum fih da, rën zwërz a" (It was storming all day yesterday) in sun-form script. So, um, aside from my awful attempts at drawing spirals using a mouse... that's how that works. The final form of the sentence above is different from the one given earlier because certain rotations of glyphs were just better-looking on a computer than when hand-drawn, but the two are functionally identical (save for the typos).
Loom-form script differs in that you start with the first argument, rather than the verb (which better aligns with actual word order while speaking), and restrictions on startpoints and endpoints are significantly more lax, with some glyphs gaining extra elements to ease distinction from other glyphs that in sun-form would differ only in where on the metaphorical clockface each radical lies. Though this is less necessary than one might think, in particular with nouns, which also may be distinguished via class markers; storm and vortex are both just quarter triple spirals (three layers of a spiral starting from less than half of the radius away from the outer circle) at hours 6 and 1 respectively, but storm is usually in class 24 (or 3 if we're referring metaphorically to corrupt government officials, or 4 if someone has time-traveled and severely broken the space-time continuum), while vortex is usually in 4, 13, or... I think 12 is the other one. I don't have my notes handy at the moment, and cannot check.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore » 16 Oct 2017 23:27

kiwikami wrote:
I think saying there's a method may be giving me too much credit, but I'll break down one of the examples, Dräxw tlwum fih da, rën zwërz a. (Below a spoiler cut because it's a big image-heavy.)

[ spoiler ] Sun-form script starts with the verb. Here's the root for attack, a very simple one; the notation I use describes this as "extended full bar 11,1 ; extended half bar 5,7":
[ img ] https://image.ibb.co/cOULQm/HP_attack.png [ /img ]
final form of the sentence above is different from the one given earlier because certain rotations of glyphs were just better-looking on a computer than when hand-drawn, but the two are functionally identical (save for the typos). [ /spoiler ]
Loom-form script differs in that you start with the first argument, rather than the verb (which better aligns with actual word order while speaking), and restrictions on startpoints and endpoints are significantly more lax, with some glyphs gaining extra elements to ease distinction from other glyphs that in sun-form would differ only in where on the metaphorical clockface each radical lies. Though
4 if someone has time-traveled and severely broken the space-time continuum), while vortex is usually in 4, 13, or... I think 12 is the other one. I don't have my notes handy at the moment, and cannot check.
Wow! [O.O] [O.O] [O.o] [O.o] [o.O] [o.O] [:O] [:)] [:D]

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 17 Oct 2017 09:36

I finished the heightmap of one of my continents. Although it seems to have a lot more terrain above 200m but under 500m than the Earth.

I'm thinking one of my languages will undergo a change where its singular gender endings (feminine -ā and masculine -ē) are completely dropped leaving pharyngealization/velarization and palatalization of word-final consonants, respectively, as a trace.
I was rather inspired by the Mongolian name for Gobi being Gowĭ which is pronounced [ɢɔwʲ].

lātă [laːtˤ] horse < lātā
māpĭ [maːpʲ] bear < māpē
But
lātan [laːtan] horses
māpel [maːpel] bears
Last edited by Ahzoh on 17 Oct 2017 20:00, edited 2 times in total.

lsd
roman
roman

Post by lsd » 17 Oct 2017 17:06

kiwikami wrote:There is a peculiar sort of zen in sitting at a desk, alone, conlanging, during a thunderstorm.
it is an amazing pastime to draw glyphs according to what surrounds you ...
As soon as I have a timeout somewhere I look for a piece of paper where to draw signs ...
gallifreyan seems a good ways of it...

Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » 17 Oct 2017 19:46

So on my conlang sideblog I've done a post or two regarding the conworlding aspects of Frislandian, this being the first time I've ever put anything about it in its current form on the web. There's next to no actual conlang information but it's a start.

(Also @Thrice Xavandii the second post uses the flag you made, just to say thanks once again for it).

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 18 Oct 2017 09:06

Ahzoh wrote:
gestaltist wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:Made some progress with defining the coastline of one of my conworld's continents:
Green - 0m (sea level)
Beige - 200m
Sand-Brown - 500m
Orange-Brown - 1000m
Brown - 2000m
Purple - 4000m+
Looks nice. One criticism is that the purple kinda looks like water. Maybe you could change it to black or something?
These are all colours I've used based on this map:
https://www.mapsofworld.com/physical-ma ... -world.jpg
Indeed... and it's still a bad choice of color on that map, IMO.

As such:

I feel like a brownish red is a good choice as it simply moves to a darker and darker shade as the elevation increases.
Frislander wrote:(Also @Thrice Xavandii the second post uses the flag you made, just to say thanks once again for it).
No problem, my dude. :)

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 18 Oct 2017 09:08

I feel like a brownish red is a good choice as it simply moves to a darker and darker shade as the elevation increases.
You're right. That is a better colour choice.
I spent all day writing this article on ConWorkShop:
https://conworkshop.info/view_article.p ... e467ab876e

It give details for each language in its own separate section as well providing the diachronics that lead to each language. I don't know what I was trying to achieve trying to blend the presentation style of Index Diachronica with CBB/ZBB-style language pages (with the phonology, grammar, syntax, etc.).
Last edited by Ahzoh on 18 Oct 2017 09:19, edited 2 times in total.

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 18 Oct 2017 09:16

It also gives room to use a deeper redder color for an even higher elevation should you so desire/need one, whereas the other shade is out of nowhere and leaves you with no logical next step, at least, not one that would visually make sense.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 18 Oct 2017 09:22

*sigh* Though my map still looks topgraphically bare compared to that map of the Earth I reference. It seems that most of the Earth is either at sea level or above 500m.

gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » 18 Oct 2017 10:30

Ahzoh wrote:*sigh* Though my map still looks topgraphically bare compared to that map of the Earth I reference. It seems that most of the Earth is either at sea level or above 500m.
You're fine, most of Russia and Central Europe is below 500m. Unless you don't like it in which case just add an igneous province somewhere.

Click
runic
runic

Post by Click » 18 Oct 2017 11:00

@kiwikami: I love your work! [:D]

@gestaltist: Glad to see you back!

I have started writing about the place where two of my languages are spoken. This falls under worldbuilding rather than making languages, but I thought it was worth posting here. There's only basic historical stuff as of now, but I hope to start writing about culture soon.

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku » 18 Oct 2017 11:11

Ahzoh wrote:*sigh* Though my map still looks topgraphically bare compared to that map of the Earth I reference. It seems that most of the Earth is either at sea level or above 500m.
It's fine I guess. Just keep in mind that large, flat areas usually facilitate the spread of only few languages and deteriorate the change for smaller languages to survive.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 18 Oct 2017 18:49

Iyionaku wrote:
It's fine I guess. Just keep in mind that large, flat areas usually facilitate the spread of only few languages and deteriorate the change for smaller languages to survive.
Eh? You're saying there will be less languages and they'll change slower?

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 20 Oct 2017 01:42

I coined some new words/characters late last night early this AM. they are related in structure: one is for the verb "to sleep" and the other is for the noun "night, darkness." The second character, when it is used with a different classifier, takes on the meaning of "fear" instead. I like the idea of characters having different but somewhat related meanings based on classifier, or something similar. Also, most characters serve double duty as both nouns and verbs and depend on context.

Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » 21 Oct 2017 16:14

Ahzoh wrote:
Iyionaku wrote:
That latter is a typo, it clearly should be "chance", but for the first point yes, since flatter topography encourages mobility and nomadism, both of which result in a lower population density and hence fewer languages.

Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku » 22 Oct 2017 16:53

Exactly, it should be "chance" like Frislander said. Sorry for creating confusion.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 22 Oct 2017 19:08

Frislander wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:
Iyionaku wrote:
That latter is a typo, it clearly should be "chance", but for the first point yes, since flatter topography encourages mobility and nomadism, both of which result in a lower population density and hence fewer languages.
Well all the areas indicated as grayish-brownish are not quite a flat plain as there is still potentially 300m of difference in elevation.

Fluffy8x
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Fluffy8x » 23 Oct 2017 03:50

Fontifying a script for Lek-Tsaro. These are consonant pairs, and most of them were auto-generated by a script.

Right now, I'm having trouble with vowel diacritics. Not only are there a whopping 143 of them, but LibreOffice seems to clip them. I changed the ascender height from 800 to 1000 to adjust and put the diacritic in the y=800 to 1000 range, but that was to no avail.

If it helps, I'm using FontForge. If any of you want to help, I can send the .sfd file.

Edit: derp, turns out I had a copy of the font in both ~/.local/share/fonts and /usr/share/fonts. I was using a command to copy the .otf files into the latter location, but LibreOffice was reading from the former.
an siina levian t'isorakateez