What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
User avatar
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4400
Joined: 20 Nov 2014 02:27

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by qwed117 » 20 Nov 2017 05:57

Present for all awaiting:
Image

/pʰaː˧˥/ n. man
Edit: More manageable image size
Last edited by qwed117 on 21 Nov 2017 01:47, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

User avatar
Pabappa
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 199
Joined: 18 Nov 2017 02:41
Contact:

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Pabappa » 20 Nov 2017 16:57

qwed117 wrote:
20 Nov 2017 05:57
Present for all awaiting:
Image

/pʰaː˧˥/ n. man
I love that. That seems like the kind of script I'd be doodling away with whenever I was trapped in a boring lecture, etc and people would think it just looks like shapes but I imagine they are all, or mostly, the same proportions for height and width?

-----------

I've been working on a climate map that I started more than 10 years ago and is of little importance even to me, since I pretty much know the climates of the various areas of the planet without a reference. Ive mostly completed the map of January temperatures, and then will work on summer temperatures, and then precipitation. Then I will overlay the three maps and try to make continuous contours from the many resulting lozenge shapes, and then call that the final map. I plan to use my own climate system, not Köppen or any other Earth-based one, because the planet has different characteristics such that in Köppen most of the planet would be lumped into one of the marine climates due to the low axial tilt.
Image

User avatar
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness
Posts: 4656
Joined: 31 Mar 2013 12:16

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by DesEsseintes » 20 Nov 2017 17:17

Do you ever get that stupidest of all conlanging feelings where you have some creeping suspicion that your language cannot possibly have enough different-sounding words to be functional? I know it’s utter nonsense but I get that feeling anyway and therefore I’m glad to say that I’ve managed to rid myself of it permanently with regards to Híí:

Playing around with Awkwords, I now know that there are 1,098,770,112 possible combinations of four syllables in Híí, where two of said syllables can be any weight and two are light.

So now I can sleep peacefully.

User avatar
gestaltist
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1717
Joined: 11 Feb 2015 11:23

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by gestaltist » 20 Nov 2017 17:26

DesEsseintes wrote:
20 Nov 2017 17:17
Do you ever get that stupidest of all conlanging feelings where you have some creeping suspicion that your language cannot possibly have enough different-sounding words to be functional? I know it’s utter nonsense but I get that feeling anyway and therefore I’m glad to say that I’ve managed to rid myself of it permanently with regards to Híí:

Playing around with Awkwords, I now know that there are 1,098,770,112 possible combinations of four syllables in Híí, where two of said syllables can be any weight and two are light.

So now I can sleep peacefully.
I get that feeling all the time! For some reason, my mind insists that words with more than 3 syllables are not viable, no matter the reality.

User avatar
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness
Posts: 4656
Joined: 31 Mar 2013 12:16

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by DesEsseintes » 20 Nov 2017 17:30

gestaltist wrote:
20 Nov 2017 17:26
DesEsseintes wrote:
20 Nov 2017 17:17
Do you ever get that stupidest of all conlanging feelings where you have some creeping suspicion that your language cannot possibly have enough different-sounding words to be functional? I know it’s utter nonsense but I get that feeling anyway and therefore I’m glad to say that I’ve managed to rid myself of it permanently with regards to Híí:

Playing around with Awkwords, I now know that there are 1,098,770,112 possible combinations of four syllables in Híí, where two of said syllables can be any weight and two are light.

So now I can sleep peacefully.
I get that feeling all the time! For some reason, my mind insists that words with more than 3 syllables are not viable, no matter the reality.
Yeah, it’s not like you speak Italian or Polish or sth, with words like chiacchiererebbero and osiemdziesięciolatek mucking around. [xD]

xroox
sinic
sinic
Posts: 261
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 18:24

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by xroox » 20 Nov 2017 20:41

I've worked on the verb p, 'to do', in Deinau. As a main verb, it has been replaced in all of its inflected forms with the verb ·ir, 'to make', being used only for non-inflected forms as suppletives. It is also the most used of the light verbs, the other two of them, map and pa, are actually derived from it. The verb pa has fused the transitive suffix -a into the verb root, and is now used as intransitive. The verb map is a fusion of the verb into the noun 'word', becoming a derivative suffix (there are incorporated nouns, but they work in other ways). It has also become an auxiliary verb for hearsay evidentiality. The difference between all these forms can be seen below:

Bal báśaŋŋigu ·írdu.
ERG-1 CL-clay.pot-INDF.ACC make-PFV.REC
I just made a clay pot.

Bal ·pì baśaŋŋigu pagdu.
ERG-1 do.REL CL-clay.pot-INDF.ABS break-PFV.REC
The claypot I made just broke.

Is màrir pùŋŋalot?
ACC-2 help do-NMZ-INTER-POT
May i help you?

Ŋil daal pàŋŋalot?
DAT-1 heart do-INTR-NMZ-INTER-POT
Can you remember me?

Bas ·donmaak mapùŋŋalot?
ERG-2 truth word-do-NMZ-INTER-POT
Can you assure me that?

·Ésil ànannantukpaa ŋi blaampu.
Esil CL-orphan-OBL.PL DAT money-do-PFV.REM
Esil donated to the orphans.

·Ésil ànannantukpaa ŋi blaapa maampu.
Esil CL-orphan-OBL.PL DAT money-do-SUF word-do-PFV.REM
Esil donated to the orphans, they say.

User avatar
Frislander
runic
runic
Posts: 3123
Joined: 14 May 2016 17:47
Location: The North

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Frislander » 20 Nov 2017 22:55

I think I may have finally found the consonant system to go with the vowel inventory /iə ɯə uɵ e ɤ o a ɒ/: /t̪ tʂ cç kʷ ʔ ɬ̪ ʂ h n̪ ɺ˞ j w/. Only problem is now I've split the vowels into ablauting pairs which I'm trying to co-opt into a system for marking grammatical case that I've no idea how to make feel natural, and I'm still not settled on the romanisation [:'(]
DesEsseintes wrote:
20 Nov 2017 17:17
Do you ever get that stupidest of all conlanging feelings where you have some creeping suspicion that your language cannot possibly have enough different-sounding words to be functional? I know it’s utter nonsense but I get that feeling anyway and therefore I’m glad to say that I’ve managed to rid myself of it permanently with regards to Híí:

Playing around with Awkwords, I now know that there are 1,098,770,112 possible combinations of four syllables in Híí, where two of said syllables can be any weight and two are light.

So now I can sleep peacefully.
You know I get that so much as well, which is pretty ironic considering our love of minimal phonology!

User avatar
Void
sinic
sinic
Posts: 258
Joined: 15 Aug 2016 15:15
Location: Hogewor Hayastan

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Void » 21 Nov 2017 00:02

I organise my lexicon in an Excel spreadsheet. Today, this is my accomplishment.

vádh [ʋa:ð]

1. tooth (hard structure in the mouth)

2. penis (colloquial)
ՌՋՁԴ

User avatar
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness
Posts: 3829
Joined: 25 Nov 2012 10:13
Location: Carnassus

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 21 Nov 2017 00:39

qwed117 wrote:
20 Nov 2017 05:57
Present for all awaiting:
Image

/pʰaː˧˥/ n. man
Pretty! But now I feel compelled to make a complimentary version in Vingdagese since I don't have a word for that yet.
Image

User avatar
Sḿtuval
greek
greek
Posts: 851
Joined: 09 Oct 2013 23:56
Location: California

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Sḿtuval » 21 Nov 2017 10:15

Finally got around to figuring out how definiteness and specificity work in Ythnandosian. At least I hope so.

(“What did you eat?”)
Mẓo-∅ ze-pàŋ-∅ mir-za-ṣ-∅-∅.
cooked-ABS SPEC-fish-ABS eat-3-1-PFV-PST
/m.ʑo ze.pɑ̀ŋ miɹ.zɑɕ/
“I ate a/the fish.”

(“What did you eat?”)
Mẓo-∅ pàŋ-∅ mir-za-ṣ-∅-∅.
cooked-ABS fish-ABS eat-3-1-PFV-PST
/m.ʑo pɑ̀ŋ miɹ.zɑɕ/
“I ate some fish (but I don’t remember which).”

(“Did you notice I made fish?”)
Mẓo-∅ -pàŋ-∅ mir-za-ṣ-∅-∅.
cooked-ABS DEF-fish-ABS eat-3-1-PFV-PST
/m.ʑo kɑ̀.pɑ̀ŋ miɹ.zɑɕ/
“I ate the (same) fish.”

(“Did you notice I made fish?”)
Mẓo-∅ ze-pàŋ-∅ mir-za-ṣ-∅-∅.
cooked-ABS SPEC-fish-ABS eat-3-1-PFV-PST
/m.ʑo ze.pɑ̀ŋ miɹ.zɑɕ/
“I ate a (different) fish.”

(“Did you notice I made fish?”)
Mẓo-∅ pàŋ-∅ mir-za-ṣ-∅-∅.
cooked-ABS fish-ABS eat-3-1-PFV-PST
/m.ʑo pɑ̀ŋ miɹ.zɑɕ/
“I ate a/some fish (but I don’t know if it’s the same).”
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

User avatar
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman
Posts: 960
Joined: 14 May 2016 10:59
Location: SW England

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by OTʜᴇB » 21 Nov 2017 17:46

Void wrote:
21 Nov 2017 00:02
1. tooth (hard structure in the mouth)

2. penis (colloquial)
I see what you did there... [;)]
:con: : Current Project

BTW I use Arch

User avatar
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4400
Joined: 20 Nov 2014 02:27

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by qwed117 » 22 Nov 2017 01:58

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
21 Nov 2017 00:39
qwed117 wrote:
20 Nov 2017 05:57
Present for all awaiting:
Image

/pʰaː˧˥/ n. man
Pretty! But now I feel compelled to make a complimentary version in Vingdagese since I don't have a word for that yet.
More gifts Thrice!
Image
/ɕiːŋ˨˩/ n. - finger
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

User avatar
Pabappa
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 199
Joined: 18 Nov 2017 02:41
Contact:

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Pabappa » 22 Nov 2017 04:32

I added 86 noun classifier suffixes to the Khulls lexicon .... This sounds like way too much, and it is, but they'll merge into a dozen or so just with existing phonotactic rules, so I plan to keep each entry separate so I can more easily remember the composite etymologies.
Image

User avatar
Void
sinic
sinic
Posts: 258
Joined: 15 Aug 2016 15:15
Location: Hogewor Hayastan

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Void » 22 Nov 2017 22:42

I have finally finished writing proper descriptions for all of the nouns (835 in total) in my lexicon. This was so tedious, wow.

And now I've to do 349 verbs and 132 adjectives. yay.
OTʜᴇB wrote:
21 Nov 2017 17:46
Void wrote:
21 Nov 2017 00:02
1. tooth (hard structure in the mouth)

2. penis (colloquial)
I see what you did there... [;)]
yes i wasn't very proud of that
ՌՋՁԴ

Solarius
roman
roman
Posts: 1193
Joined: 30 Aug 2010 00:23

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Solarius » 23 Nov 2017 13:11

I made a bit of a minimalistic phonemic inventory which I'm quite pleased with.

Of course, as it turns out it's nigh-identical to Tuscarora. [:$]
Check out Ussaria!

User avatar
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness
Posts: 4656
Joined: 31 Mar 2013 12:16

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by DesEsseintes » 23 Nov 2017 13:44

Solarius wrote:
23 Nov 2017 13:11
I made a bit of a minimalistic phonemic inventory which I'm quite pleased with.

Of course, as it turns out it's nigh-identical to Tuscarora. [:$]
Show us!!! Tuscarora = [<3]

Solarius
roman
roman
Posts: 1193
Joined: 30 Aug 2010 00:23

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Solarius » 23 Nov 2017 14:06

DesEsseintes wrote:
23 Nov 2017 13:44
Solarius wrote:
23 Nov 2017 13:11
I made a bit of a minimalistic phonemic inventory which I'm quite pleased with.

Of course, as it turns out it's nigh-identical to Tuscarora. [:$]
Show us!!! Tuscarora = [<3]
Haha sure! I wasn't kidding!

/t t͡s k ʔ θ s h n ɾ l j w/<t ts k ' th s h n r l y w>
/i i: e e: a a: u u:/<i ii e ee a aa u uu>
Check out Ussaria!

User avatar
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness
Posts: 4656
Joined: 31 Mar 2013 12:16

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by DesEsseintes » 23 Nov 2017 17:03

Solarius wrote:
23 Nov 2017 14:06
DesEsseintes wrote:
23 Nov 2017 13:44
Solarius wrote:
23 Nov 2017 13:11
I made a bit of a minimalistic phonemic inventory which I'm quite pleased with.

Of course, as it turns out it's nigh-identical to Tuscarora. [:$]
Show us!!! Tuscarora = [<3]
Haha sure! I wasn't kidding!

/t t͡s k ʔ θ s h n ɾ l j w/<t ts k ' th s h n r l y w>
/i i: e e: a a: u u:/<i ii e ee a aa u uu>
Nice. Any interesting distributions we should be aware of? In Tuscarora t͡s and θ are allophones of the same phoneme iirc, and of course, having both a rhotic and a lateral sets your lang well apart. I’d be interested to see how you develop this. Phonotactics etc. [:)]

User avatar
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness
Posts: 3829
Joined: 25 Nov 2012 10:13
Location: Carnassus

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 25 Nov 2017 00:22

In the spirit of Qwed's characters, I have created a pair of my own:

Image
rya(n.) man, person

Image
poyng(n.) finger, toe, digit
Image

User avatar
Void
sinic
sinic
Posts: 258
Joined: 15 Aug 2016 15:15
Location: Hogewor Hayastan

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Void » 25 Nov 2017 00:31

I've created a word that I'm rather proud of: vuljar [ˈʋuljɑr]

I don't know why, but I really liked this word, so I gave it some cool meanings:

1. sovereign (entity, usually a person, which is not a subject to a ruler or nation)
2. overlord (entity, usually a person, with overarching power or authority in a given domain)
3. arbiter, judge (person or object having the power of judging and determining, or ordaining, without control)
4. bishop, hierarch, consecrator (official of a place of worship, usually church; supervisor of priests and congregations)
5. hegemon (dominating force or leader)
6. arch-, supreme- (greatest in something; independent; as a compound modifier, usually vulj-)

Basically equivalent to Russian владыка [vlɐˈdɨkə].
ՌՋՁԴ

Post Reply