What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
User avatar
Lao Kou
korean
korean
Posts: 5665
Joined: 25 Nov 2012 10:39
Location: 蘇州/苏州

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Lao Kou » 11 Mar 2019 10:02

Lao Kou wrote:
11 Mar 2019 09:56
Hālian wrote:
11 Mar 2019 08:14
I added the following words. Um… that's about it. I hate being indecisive and a perfectionist and unable to come up with ideas when I have a way to write them down. :<

lílitāi n., f., anim. nomad (i.e. someone who studies the psionic discipline known as psychoportation)

Even this list of words makes me feel bad because to me it screams “HĀLIAN YOU CAN'T EVEN COME UP WITH A CONSISTENT ÆSTHETIC IN A SINGLE FUCKING LANGUAGE YOU SUCK ASS GO COMMIT SUDOKU ALREADY”.
I don't think the purpose of this devised vocabulary list is to make one feel bad or incite one to perform ritual sudoku or seppuku. It's a compendium. a springboard. Languages, as collaborative, living exercises, by their nature, are not perfect. Nor the ones designed by one (watch people rag all over Esperanto et alia).

Perfect? If we achieved it, we could just fold our hands and go home. But still we strive. Whether we paint, compose, investigate, or conlang. (Is fingerpainting a search for perfection?) So sally forth,
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 11720
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by shimobaatar » 11 Mar 2019 13:24

Khemehekis wrote:
11 Mar 2019 08:39
Sudoku?

I believe you mean seppuku.
I assume it was a joke.

User avatar
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4610
Joined: 31 Mar 2013 13:16

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by DesEsseintes » 11 Mar 2019 13:42

shimobaatar wrote:
11 Mar 2019 13:24
Khemehekis wrote:
11 Mar 2019 08:39
Sudoku?

I believe you mean seppuku.
I assume it was a joke.
And a rather funny one at that.

User avatar
Omzinesý
runic
runic
Posts: 2708
Joined: 27 Aug 2010 08:17
Location: nowhere [naʊhɪɚ]

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Omzinesý » 11 Mar 2019 19:11

LinguoFranco wrote:
04 Mar 2019 18:51
I’ve started work on an analytic language. I got irritated with my lack of conlanging progress and have nothing to show anyone, so I think an analytic language might be good to make just to do something different from the synthetic languages I like to create.

I have tried making analytic languages in the past and quickly grew bored of them, but this time I actually intend to get further with it. This one started out as a synthetic languages like all the others, but I changed my mind and decided to make it an isolating language.

There are inflections, but only a few, and are marked with inflectional prefixes, while suffixes are used for derivation. I might change this and use register tones for inflection, instead.

It’s going to be topic-prominent, but for now it’s just a non pro-drop SVO language until I work out the syntax some more.
Do terms analitic and isolating differ in your usage?

User avatar
LinguoFranco
greek
greek
Posts: 466
Joined: 20 Jul 2016 17:49
Location: U.S.

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by LinguoFranco » 12 Mar 2019 05:20

Omzinesý wrote:
11 Mar 2019 19:11
LinguoFranco wrote:
04 Mar 2019 18:51
I’ve started work on an analytic language. I got irritated with my lack of conlanging progress and have nothing to show anyone, so I think an analytic language might be good to make just to do something different from the synthetic languages I like to create.

I have tried making analytic languages in the past and quickly grew bored of them, but this time I actually intend to get further with it. This one started out as a synthetic languages like all the others, but I changed my mind and decided to make it an isolating language.

There are inflections, but only a few, and are marked with inflectional prefixes, while suffixes are used for derivation. I might change this and use register tones for inflection, instead.

It’s going to be topic-prominent, but for now it’s just a non pro-drop SVO language until I work out the syntax some more.
Do terms analitic and isolating differ in your usage?
Not really, though I think an isolating language is an analytic language with a low morpheme-to-word ratio if I’m not mistakened.

User avatar
Reyzadren
greek
greek
Posts: 484
Joined: 14 May 2017 10:39
Contact:

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Reyzadren » 13 Mar 2019 23:28

It isn't winter anymore, but it could feel like it. The travel guide on my conlang website invites you to visit snow regions.

In other news, someone followed my website, and also featured my conlang on his main page. That person uses the Universal Metaconstant conlang. Check it out.
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang

User avatar
Frislander
runic
runic
Posts: 3496
Joined: 14 May 2016 18:47
Location: The North

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Frislander » 14 Mar 2019 01:22

LinguoFranco wrote:
12 Mar 2019 05:20
Omzinesý wrote:
11 Mar 2019 19:11
LinguoFranco wrote:
04 Mar 2019 18:51
I’ve started work on an analytic language. I got irritated with my lack of conlanging progress and have nothing to show anyone, so I think an analytic language might be good to make just to do something different from the synthetic languages I like to create.

I have tried making analytic languages in the past and quickly grew bored of them, but this time I actually intend to get further with it. This one started out as a synthetic languages like all the others, but I changed my mind and decided to make it an isolating language.

There are inflections, but only a few, and are marked with inflectional prefixes, while suffixes are used for derivation. I might change this and use register tones for inflection, instead.

It’s going to be topic-prominent, but for now it’s just a non pro-drop SVO language until I work out the syntax some more.
Do terms analitic and isolating differ in your usage?
Not really, though I think an isolating language is an analytic language with a low morpheme-to-word ratio if I’m not mistakened.
I think the difference as is traditionally defined is one of degree - an isolating language shows a tendency to use separate words over morphology, while an analytic language is the logical endpoint of that - a language which never uses morphology ever.

User avatar
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4610
Joined: 31 Mar 2013 13:16

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by DesEsseintes » 14 Mar 2019 08:37

Frislander wrote:
14 Mar 2019 01:22
I think the difference as is traditionally defined is one of degree - an isolating language shows a tendency to use separate words over morphology, while an analytic language is the logical endpoint of that - a language which never uses morphology ever.
No. The two terms are distinct, although the overlap between the two can be blindingly large.

Being isolating is the tendency for a language to employ very few morphemes per word, or only one morpheme per word at the extreme. This includes - and this is important - derivational morphology. It is therefore a feature of morphology.

Being analytical is the tendency for a language not to use inflectional morphology to convey grammatical information and argument structure. Instead, such a language relies on word order, particles and adpositions (amongst other things) to convey such information. Therefore, I believe ‘analyticalness’ is mostly a feature of (morpho)syntax.

To make my point, let me propose a language that is not isolating at all, but quite analytical.

to definite article
bor n. - man
pos n. - cat
-ilk adjectival suffix - fat
-usp adjectival suffix - cute
-om possessed stem suffix (any noun that takes a possessive prefix must also take this suffix)
ma- 1sg.poss (causes gemination of the initial consonant of the following stem, and is usually accompanied by the definite article)
ata perfective particle
lili future particle
kis v. - kiss
ull v. - eat

To borilk ata kis to mapposuspom.
The fat man kissed my cute cat.

To mapposuspom lili ull to borilk.
My cute cat is going to eat the fat man.

A word can contain up to four morphemes (mapposuspom), yet argument structure is only indicated by word order. The morphology is clearly not isolating, but the syntax is analytical. The fact that the language uses possessive prefixes is of course a sign that the language is not purely analytical but that’s an NP-level feature, so I wouldn’t say it’s a serious detractor.

I’d like to add that the words isolating and analytical needn’t apply wholesale to an entire language. Different aspects of a language can fall into different categories.

User avatar
eldin raigmore
korean
korean
Posts: 6389
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 19:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by eldin raigmore » 15 Mar 2019 00:40

DesEsseintes wrote:
11 Mar 2019 13:42
shimobaatar wrote:
11 Mar 2019 13:24
Khemehekis wrote:
11 Mar 2019 08:39
Sudoku? I believe you mean seppuku.
I assume it was a joke.
And a rather funny one at that.
Well, I enjoyed it!

DesEsseintes wrote:
14 Mar 2019 08:37
To mapposuspom lili ull to borilk.
My cute cat is going to eat the fat man.
Well, then, I need to be careful around your cat!

And thanks, BTW, for explaining the difference between isolating and analytic.

Nortaneous wrote:
07 Mar 2019 08:58
eldin raigmore wrote:
07 Mar 2019 03:17
Is Mxyzptlk a common name in your conculture?
That isn't a possible word. .... The closest you could get is something like Mxyeptzlx /mun31jə11tə33li31/, which is pretty far off.
It looks pretty close, to me!
Anyway, thanks!

User avatar
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek
Posts: 686
Joined: 15 Feb 2016 06:10
Location: Northern California

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 15 Mar 2019 21:27

Edit: So my intent last night was to update my Lihmelinyan thread with pronouns and really polish up the language. In the process of attempting that, I inadvertently created a whole new conlang called Arculese (a sister language to Lihmelinyan). Was not expecting that. I've never had another conlang. I'm still debating on whether I should post it here. I'm not sure if a sister language is something worth having a separate thread for.

User avatar
Ahzoh
korean
korean
Posts: 5780
Joined: 20 Oct 2013 02:57
Location: Toma-ʾEzra lit Vṛḵaža

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Ahzoh » 20 Mar 2019 02:34

I have words for all of the adjective listed in the Swadesh list in Vrkhazhian, in their verb form and adjective form:

Code: Select all

maǧub "to be big"
      > minñaǧub "to become big"
      > mərǧab- "big"
zurr "to be long"
      > ziñhurr "they become long"
      > zarzar- "long"
huff "to be wide"
      > hiñhuff "to become wide"
      > hafhaf- "wide"
kažud "to be thick"
      > kiñhažud "to become thick"
      > kəržad- "thick"
dunn "to be heavy"
      > diñhunn "they become heavy"
      > dandan- "heavy"
safuñ "to be small"
      > siñhafuñ "they become small"
      > sərfañ- "small"
ʾajur "to be short (in height)"
      > ʾiñhajur "they become short (in height)"
      > ʾərjar- "short (in height)"
lušš "to be short (in length)"
      > liñhušš "they become short (in length)"
      > lašlaš- "short (in length)
laguk "to be narrow, to be thin"
      > liñhaguk "they become narrow, they become thin"
      > lərgak- "narrow, thin"
bužž "to be warm"
      > biñhužž "they become warm"
      > bažbaž- "warm"
śaci "to be cold"
      > śiñhaci "they become cold"
      > śərcay- "cold"
tapi "to be full"
      > tiñhapi "they become full"
      > tərpay- "full"
max̣uj "be young, be new"
      > miñhax̣uj "they become young, they become new"
      > mərx̣aj- "young, new"
saǧul "they are old"
      > siñhaǧul "they become old"
      > sərǧal- "old"
tanu "to be good"
      > tiñhanu "they become good"
      > tərnaw- "good"
nubb "to be bad"
      > niñhubb "they become bad"
      > nabnab- "bad"
ṗajud "to be black, to be rotten"
      > ṗiñhajud "they become black, they become rotten"
      > ṗərjad- "black, rotten"
fari "to be dirty"
      > fiñharu "they become dirty"
      > fərray- "dirty"
yaċur "to be straight"
      > yiñhaċur "they become straight"
      > yərċar- "straight"
ʾaśuṭ "to be round"
      > ʾiñhaśuṭ "they become round"
      > ʾərśaṭ- "round"
jati "to be sharp (as a knife)"
      > jiñhati "they become sharp"
      > jərtay- "sharp"
tajut "to be dull (as a knife)"
      > tiñhajut "they become dull"
      > tərjat- "dull"
kawn "to be smooth, to be polished"
      > kiñhawn "they become smooth, they become polished"
      > kərwan- "smooth, polished"
hurr "to be wet, to be clean"
      > hiñhurr "they become wet, they become clean"
      > harhar- "wet, clean"
mull "to be dry"
      > miñhull "they become dry"
      > malmal- "dry"
x̣aśuh "to be correct"
      > x̣iñhaśuh "they become correct"
      > x̣ərśah- "correct"
I also have all of the basic colour words in Vrkhazhian:

Code: Select all

xarum "to be white"
      > xiñharum "they become white"
      > xərram- "white"
zawl "to be red"
      > ziñhawl "they become red"
      > zərwal- "red"
daṣ́u "to be yellow"
      > diñhaṣ́u "they become yellow"
      > dərṣ́aw- "yellow"
ʾakun "to be green"
      > ʾiñhakun "they become green"
      > ʾərkan- "green"
muss "to be blue"
      > miñhuss "they become blue"
      > masmas- "blue"
ṗajud "to be black, to be rotten"
      > ṗiñhajud "they become black, they become rotten"
      > ṗərjad- "black, rotten"
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

Khemehekis
runic
runic
Posts: 2455
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 09:36
Location: California über alles

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Khemehekis » 27 Mar 2019 07:45

This isn't actually within the last 24 hours, but I overhauled my Landau Core Vocabulary lately. You may read about it here.

Is anyone interested in being sent an updated copy of the LCV as I have it polished up right now? Or recommending new foreign language dictionaries?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 60,137 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!

User avatar
LinguoFranco
greek
greek
Posts: 466
Joined: 20 Jul 2016 17:49
Location: U.S.

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by LinguoFranco » 31 Mar 2019 20:57

Felt a sudden burst of inspiration the other night and added no words to my language. I was mostly stuck on verbal morphology as I was not sure how I want to conjugate verbs. I decided it would be best not to have infinitives since I don’t really use them.

User avatar
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4610
Joined: 31 Mar 2013 13:16

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by DesEsseintes » 01 Apr 2019 03:24

LinguoFranco wrote:
31 Mar 2019 20:57
Felt a sudden burst of inspiration the other night and added no words to my language.
Sounds like one of my achievements.

User avatar
LinguoFranco
greek
greek
Posts: 466
Joined: 20 Jul 2016 17:49
Location: U.S.

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by LinguoFranco » 01 Apr 2019 13:33

DesEsseintes wrote:
01 Apr 2019 03:24
LinguoFranco wrote:
31 Mar 2019 20:57
Felt a sudden burst of inspiration the other night and added no words to my language.
Sounds like one of my achievements.
Ha! I meant new words, not no words.

User avatar
Dormouse559
moderator
moderator
Posts: 2840
Joined: 10 Nov 2012 20:52
Location: California

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Dormouse559 » 01 Apr 2019 18:10

LinguoFranco wrote:
01 Apr 2019 13:33
DesEsseintes wrote:
01 Apr 2019 03:24
LinguoFranco wrote:
31 Mar 2019 20:57
Felt a sudden burst of inspiration the other night and added no words to my language.
Sounds like one of my achievements.
Ha! I meant new words, not no words.
I'll admit I was confused, but eventually I was just like, who am I to judge other people's bursts of inspiration? [xD] But yeah, that makes more sense.

User avatar
Reyzadren
greek
greek
Posts: 484
Joined: 14 May 2017 10:39
Contact:

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Reyzadren » 02 Apr 2019 01:40

In addition to my website that has all content displayed in my conlang and its conscript, I recently started a blog that shows bilingual posts, ie excerpts with English and griuskant translations.

I'm not really a person who follows schedules, but perhaps small regular translations like these would be easy enough to keep up, at least throughout the season.
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang

User avatar
J Reggie
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 32
Joined: 05 Sep 2018 03:00

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by J Reggie » 03 Apr 2019 02:26

Working on an a priori lang with historical spelling. Got to a point where the 2nd person plural past tense of the verb meaning "to see" is spelled dogrpfa and pronounced /doːp/. Looking forward to working more with this language!

Keenir
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2383
Joined: 22 May 2012 03:05

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Keenir » 04 Apr 2019 21:47

LinguoFranco wrote:
01 Apr 2019 13:33
DesEsseintes wrote:
01 Apr 2019 03:24
LinguoFranco wrote:
31 Mar 2019 20:57
Felt a sudden burst of inspiration the other night and added no words to my language.
Sounds like one of my achievements.
Ha! I meant new words, not no words.

*shrugs* I figured you were emphasizing that no new words were added, because your work was building up the rest of your conlang.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799

User avatar
Zekoslav
sinic
sinic
Posts: 314
Joined: 07 Oct 2017 16:54

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Zekoslav » 05 Apr 2019 15:19

J Reggie wrote:
03 Apr 2019 02:26
Working on an a priori lang with historical spelling. Got to a point where the 2nd person plural past tense of the verb meaning "to see" is spelled dogrpfa and pronounced /doːp/. Looking forward to working more with this language!
That's as "bad" as Tibetan! Keep up the good work!
Languages:
:hrv: [:D], :bih: :srb: [;)], :eng: [:D], :fra: [:|], :lat: [:(], :deu: [:'(]

A linguistics enthusiast who would like to make a conlang, but can't decide what to call what.

- Tewanian languages
- Guide to Slavic accentuation

Post Reply