What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by shimobaatar » 16 Aug 2014 05:14

So are black, red, crimson, yellow, turquoise, and blue all the basic colour terms in your conlang? If so, it seems kind of odd to have turquoise, blue, and yellow, but no green. And also to have black without white.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 16 Aug 2014 05:15

shimobaatar wrote:So are black, red, crimson, yellow, turquoise, and blue all the basic colour terms in your conlang? If so, it seems kind of odd to have turquoise, blue, and yellow, but no green. And also to have black without white.
No, those are just the ones I have roots for.

I have been undecided about:
Green = p-ḥ-f (I might name this after the Vrkhazhian word for emerald, plants are cliche)
White
Grey

I don't want Orange and Brown to be primary colours, is that strange?
Also i'm rather amused at the idea of classifying green as "light turquoise".
Last edited by Ahzoh on 16 Aug 2014 05:20, edited 1 time in total.
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 16 Aug 2014 05:19

Ahzoh wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:So are black, red, crimson, yellow, turquoise, and blue all the basic colour terms in your conlang? If so, it seems kind of odd to have turquoise, blue, and yellow, but no green. And also to have black without white.

Green
White
Grey

I would say that it's fine to not have orange and brown be basic roots, but they are rather desert-y colours, in my opinion. The choice is yours.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 16 Aug 2014 05:22

shimobaatar wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:

Green
White
Grey

I would say that it's fine to not have orange and brown be basic roots, but they are rather desert-y colours, in my opinion. The choice is yours.
Is the colour of sand a brownish colour? I would think so.

Well, I only want basic roots for what desert peoples would see commonly.
If sand can be considered a shade of brown, then I'd add that shade of brown, but I don't know about orange.
There's also a shade of brown apparently called "desert".
Last edited by Ahzoh on 16 Aug 2014 05:25, edited 1 time in total.

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 16 Aug 2014 05:24

Ahzoh wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:

Green
White
Grey

Is the colour of sand a brownish colour? I would think so.
There are so many kinds of sand, so it's hard to pin down a colour to describe it, but the sand I think of when I think of deserts is sort of a brown-ish yellow or light orange-ish brown.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 16 Aug 2014 05:26

shimobaatar wrote:There are so many kinds of sand, so it's hard to pin down a colour to describe it, but the sand I think of when I think of deserts is sort of a brown-ish yellow or light orange-ish brown.
I'm thinking this colour specifically, or the one slightly below it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_(color)#Sand

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 16 Aug 2014 05:28

Ahzoh wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:There are so many kinds of sand, so it's hard to pin down a colour to describe it, but the sand I think of when I think of deserts is sort of a brown-ish yellow or light orange-ish brown.
I'm thinking this colour specifically, or the one slightly below it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_(color)#Sand
I wouldn't change my description that much, but light brown or yellow-ish brown would probably be my best guesses.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 16 Aug 2014 05:31

shimobaatar wrote:
Ahzoh wrote: I'm thinking this colour specifically, or the one slightly below it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_(color)#Sand
I wouldn't change my description that much, but light brown or yellow-ish brown would probably be my best guesses.
Are we talking in general terms here, because of the many variant colours of sand?
Yellow-brown it is.
Though, yellow-brown reminds me of clay for some reason, very muddy wet clay.

Heh, look at us... talking about colours...

As for white, I'm going for a standard bone colour. Or maybe a white gem.
By the end, most colour words will derive from minerals. But that's cool.

This also gives information about the development of basic colour terms in a language:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_term ... olor_terms

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 16 Aug 2014 05:56

Ahzoh wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:
Ahzoh wrote: I'm thinking this colour specifically, or the one slightly below it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_(color)#Sand
Are we talking in general terms here, because of the many variant colours of sand?
Yellow-brown it is.
Though, yellow-brown reminds me of clay for some reason, very muddy wet clay.

Heh, look at us... talking about colours...

As for white, I'm going for a standard bone colour. Or maybe a white gem.
By the end, most colour words will derive from minerals. But that's cool.

This also gives information about the development of basic colour terms in a language:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_term ... olor_terms
I think "sand-brown" might be enough of a description.

I like the idea of basing white off the word for bones. It patterns well with crimson being related to blood.

The deriving colours from mineral names seems fitting, at least to me, considering the environment your conpeople live in. Deserts are very earthy, and full of minerals and such. Actually, the Proto-Ypsilon (my conlang) word for mineral or gemstone actually develops into a word for desert in some daughter branches once the speakers of those branches move to areas that are closer to deserts than the Urheimat.

That's an interesting reference, and it looks promising. I'll have to give it a better look in the morning.

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » 16 Aug 2014 06:26

Ahzoh wrote:
Lao Kou wrote:Particularly if turquoise ... distinguishes it from (sky) blue,
Ahzoh wrote:Turquoise = m-ḵ-b (mūḵeb 'turquoise')
Blue = q-w-h (from qaẇwa 'sky')
which to my eye is the difference of the slightest dash of green to the former.
Not to me, however. I perceive turquoise to be as different from green and blue as red is from yellow.
If you're using the Crayola eight-pack as your baseline, I would, more or less, agree. My point being that if q-w-h is in the голубой range (which "sky" suggests to me) as opposed to something more around "royal blue", then unless your confolk hang Caribbean beaches (which they don't) or have the stone turquoise knocking about (which they now apparently do, so the point is moot), it's hard to imagine this color coming up enough in conversation to merit its very own root for marking the distinction.
My language also makes the basic categorical distinction between the colour of blood (crimson) and a "perfect" red(I do not know to what degree of nm.)
Nor do I. For me, "perfect" red would mean midlife crisis Corvette/convertible red, fire engine red, the lipstick shade "arrest me red" (aka "f**k me red"). Your results may vary. Regardless, Chinese has a 朱/红/赤 split for "red", so go for it.
Ahzoh wrote:I don't want Orange and Brown to be primary colours, is that strange?
I don't think so. I'm moving way too slow for the pace of this conversation, but "brown" could easily be "(sand) yellow" as your day-to-day word, and then for Crayola "brown", wait for the introduction of coffee and/or chocolate to the culture. Or if your confolks don't feel too "ew, TMI" about feces, that could be a baseline. [:P]
Last edited by Lao Kou on 16 Aug 2014 06:47, edited 1 time in total.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 16 Aug 2014 06:42

Lao Kou wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:
Lao Kou wrote:Particularly if turquoise ... distinguishes it from (sky) blue,
Ahzoh wrote:Turquoise = m-ḵ-b (mūḵeb 'turquoise')
Blue = q-w-h (from qaẇwa 'sky')
which to my eye is the difference of the slightest dash of green to the former.
Not to me, however. I perceive turquoise to be as different from green and blue as red is from yellow.
If you're using the Crayola eight-pack as your baseline, I would, more or less, agree. My point being that if q-w-h is in the голубой range (which "sky" suggests to me) as opposed to something more around "royal blue", then unless your confolk hang Caribbean beaches (which they don't) or have the stone turquoise knocking about (which they now apparently do, so the point is moot), it's hard to imagine this color coming up enough in conversation to merit its very own root for marking the distinction.
My language also makes the basic categorical distinction between the colour of blood (crimson) and a "perfect" red(I do not know to what degree of nm.)
Nor do I. For me, "perfect" red would mean midlife crisis Corvette/convertible red, fire engine red, the lipstick shade "arrest me red" (aka "f**k me red"). Your results may vary. Regardless, Chinese has a 朱/红/赤 split for "red", so go for it.
Ahzoh wrote:I don't want Orange and Brown to be primary colours, is that strange?
I don't think so. I'm moving way to slow for the pace of this conversation, but "brown" could easily be "(sand) yellow" as your day-to-day word, and then for Crayola "brown", wait for the introduction of coffee and/or chocolate to the culture. Or if your confolks don't feel too "ew, TMI" about feces, that could be a baseline. [:P]
You are very slow in this conversation. I already decided to have brown as a colour based on sand, but no orange. There appears to be a hierarchy of development of abstract (basic) colour terms, beginning from "light" and "dark" distinction, to having twelve basic colour terms like Russian and Italian does.
I don't know when there will be chocolate introduced into the culture, not even sure of the timeline, specifically. But maybe I'd consider "Crayola Brown" to be "dark p-ḥ-f".

As for perfect red, I meant solid red, as in this picture: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ed.svg.png
Though, maybe scarlet would be more suitable.

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » 16 Aug 2014 07:07

Ahzoh wrote:You are very slow in this conversation.
What can one do? Some days it's a snail's pace here, others, it's amphetamine cheetah time (still reeling from that stint on Lexicon Sculpting a while back [O.O] ). [:P]
As for perfect red, I meant solid red, as in this picture: Link
Yeah, we're on the same page here. Like the Chinese 朱/红/赤, English has red/scarlet/crimson which, whether one considers them much of a muchness or worlds apart, are separate, dedicated words not of the "red-like-a-this.item" variety (at least at the current day-to-day level of English; the word roots themselves may betray a "red-like-an-X" origin, I don't know). So a couple of words for "red" in your lang is not a mind-blower.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 16 Aug 2014 07:18

Lao Kou wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:You are very slow in this conversation.
What can one do? Some days it's a snail's pace here, others, it's amphetamine cheetah time (still reeling from that stint on Lexicon Sculpting a while back [O.O] ). [:P]
As for perfect red, I meant solid red, as in this picture: Link
Yeah, we're on the same page here. Like the Chinese 朱/红/赤, English has red/scarlet/crimson which, whether one considers them much of a muchness or worlds apart, are separate, dedicated words not of the "red-like-a-this.item" variety (at least at the current day-to-day level of English; the word roots themselves may betray a "red-like-an-X" origin, I don't know). So a couple of words for "red" in your lang is not a mind-blower.
Yes, but apparently there are so-called "abstract colours" and "descriptive colours"
blue and white and red are considered abstract for example, but salmon and maroon and scarlet are not.
I suppose it is not a matter of having a separate root word, but whether it's considered the utmost basic.
There are apparently 12 common basic "abstract colours", of which light blue is the last.

But I am saying that crimson and some other red colour (whether it is scarlet or not), are abstract basic colours, in contrary to that in English, only red is an abstract colour.

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 16 Aug 2014 16:27

I did some reading of Procyonids, and I am thinking about making a conrace of sentient descendants of Kinkajous.
Even though they're maybe less intelligent than raccoons or coatimundis (love that name!), they have a pretty big range throughout Central and South America.

I've liked coatis and raccons for decades, but seeing raccoons up close, they seem to be too lumbering and bearish in comparison. They are pretty damn clever, though. And coatis seem to me to be too baboonish. I cannot really explain it, but kinkajous resonate with me, maybe because they're more arboreal and have prehensile tails, and are sleeker, a little more feline+monkey in the chassis.

Chagen
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Chagen » 16 Aug 2014 22:49

I've decided to alter the ar-stems and ablauting suffix stems of Pazmat a bit. I'm getting rid of the final -v's that show up in the indefinite plural, originally from the PP collective suffix -*bʰo. The original paradigm, with the words varśō "night", and wūsan "guardian, bouncer":

varśōvo varśaryēv varśarīmē varśarvēv varśatrav varśarḥoyv varśōsvo varśartīv
wūsēnvo wūsanyēv wūsanīmē wūsanvēv wūsantrav wūsanḥoyv wūsēnvo wūsantīv

The changed paradigm gets rid of those final -v's for:

varśōvo varśaryē varśarīmē varśarvē varśatra varśarḥoy varśōsvo varśartī
wūsēnvo wūsanyē wūsanīmē wūsanvē wūsantra wūsanḥoy wūsēnvo wūsantī

I think this looks nicer...but on the other hand, those final -v's gave it a very unique look. So maybe I'll reverse this. Ugh, decisions, decisions...
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S

Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing » 16 Aug 2014 23:11

I've been slowly working on the Gaku website. Expanding the vocabulary section, and fixing various things in the grammar section. I've also changed the typeface.

Chagen
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Chagen » 17 Aug 2014 02:06

After thinking for two minutes some long and hard thought I've decided I'm gonna completely tear down and rebuild the 2nd declension endings for Pazmat. I'm just not feeling their current implementation. The new markers will take some inspiration from Proto-Indo-European but only a little.

EDIT: Oh man at this rate I'm gonna be tearing down the second-declension classes entirely and rebuilding the WHOLE thing. God dammit.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 17 Aug 2014 05:08

Made the compass directions in my unnamed conlang. Trying to get varying degrees of transparency in the derivations. It's kind of funny, but the more northerly the direction, the more opaque the name is.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 17 Aug 2014 05:29

I failed to get anything done today [:(]

roninbodhisattva

Post by roninbodhisattva » 17 Aug 2014 07:30

I wrote a proceedings paper. Didn't have anything to do with conlanging.