What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Micamo » 26 Apr 2011 20:09

Don't worry about it. You really can't force conlanging. Your good ideas will come when they come and there isn't really any reliable method to make them come faster.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter

MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov » 27 Apr 2011 01:58

I fixed the prohibitive and added some allophony, contraction rules and the daily 5 words.

Itsuki Kohaku
sinic
sinic

Post by Itsuki Kohaku » 27 Apr 2011 02:02

Gotten more done today than I thought, Getting the grammar a bit more down, Decided on 8 noun cases so far, 7 verb tenses so far, And got the basic word orders down.
In order of knowledge: :eng: :vls: :epo: :fra: :deu: :esp: :jpn: :zho: :fin: :tur: :eus:
Conlangs: :con: Literary Makurungou, :con: Common Makurungou

Nortaneous
greek
greek

Post by Nortaneous » 27 Apr 2011 02:27

The biggest source of dialectal variation in Arve is Kett influence. As you move north in Arve, you get closer to Kettwcén ([kɪɸtʷˈtsen], not sure how to anglicize this), so Kett influence increases. Here's a list of traits of Kett-influenced Arve, ordered from most to least common:

* Diphthongization of final unstressed high vowels: zäuche 'quick' is pronounced [ˈt͡seə̯xʷɪi̯] in most of Arve, [ˈt͡sɛa̯xʷɪi̯] in the standard, and [ˈt͡seːxʷɪ] in the south.
* Merger of /x/ and /h/ to a phoneme realized as [h] word-initially and [x] elsewhere.
* Substitution of [v] (or sometimes [p]) for the [ⱱ] allophone of /v/. (these first three are common)
* Distinction between unstressed [ɪ] and in Kett loanwords: Northern Arve speakers would pronounce töymi 'small house', from Kett téumi, [ˈt͡søy̯mi], whereas it'd be pronounced [ˈt͡søy̯mɪi̯] (merging with a hypothetical *töyme) in the standard.
* Merger of /x/ into /χ/.
* Reduction of diphthongs into VC clusters
* Merger of aspirated and unaspirated consonants, besides /p/ and /pʰ/, the only VOT-contrasting pair in Kett.
* Loss of gemination across morpheme boundaries
* Merger of all phonemes that Kett doesn't have: /ʂ ʈʂ c/ :> /ts/, /r̥/ > /s/, /ç/ :> /j/, /ð̞/ > /v/, /xʷ ɣ ʀ/ > /w/, /q/ > /k/. (although /q/ is marginal in Arve)
* A lot of vowel mergers; Kett has a mostly two-vowel system.

Southern Arve also has some distinctive traits. Most of these only exist in the areas that don't diphthongize final unstressed high vowels.
* Monophthongization of diphthongs into long vowels: stön 'brown', vold 'lazy', and stärk 'work' are pronounced [çyːn], [ⱱuːt͡s], and [çeːχ] instead of standard [çʊi̯n], [ⱱuo̯t͡s], and [çɛa̯χ].
A complete list of monophthongizations:

Code: Select all

Standard: [aɔ ʊi ɛa ɛɔ ɛu ie yø uo ʌi øy ɔu]
Southern: [ɔː yː eː øː yː iː yː uː ɛː øː ɔː]
* Frication of affricates: /ts ʈʂ/ > /s ʂ/. /c/ also sometimes merges into /ç/.
* /r̥/ merges into /ʂ/. This merges the 1S and 3P auxiliary conjugations, so sometimes the pronoun is added again in subject position.

The main feature of most colloquial Arve, except in the far south, is the centralization of diphthongs ending in a non-high vowel: standard [aɔ ɛa ɛɔ ie yø uo] are realized as [aə̯ eə̯ øə̯ iə̯ yə̯ uə̯]. There are two other distinctive features: glottalization of syllable-final /t/ (and sometimes /p/ and /k/, especially in heavy Midland dialect), sometimes with realization of the resulting [ʔ] as creaky voice on the preceding vowel in _[C # V[+high]] contexts (in _[V[+high]], weird things happen with diphthongization), and realization of word-final unstressed Vr and Vʀ as [ɐ]. Also, merging of /ɪ/ into /ʏ/ around rounded consonants is practically universal, and there are some common lexical differences: je 'and' is commonly pronounced just [ç], or [çɪ] before some consonants.

So, for an example sentence: (dropping stress markers and tie bars to reduce clutter)
Kes satter jöug scheng kes vold je de töymi, trei zäuche je stön kes kand.
"The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog and into the small house."
Standard: [çʌtɪr jyø̯xʷ çie̯ʀ ɪi̯ xʷuo̯ts jɪ ð tsʰøy̯mɪi̯ | ʈʂʰɐ çɛa̯xʷɪ jɪ çʊi̯ŋ ɪ kʰɛɔ̯r]
Northern: [sɑtɪr ɥɵw sjɵw ɪi̯ wɵts jɪ v tsɵɥmi | tsɐ sjæwɪ jɪ swɵŋ ɪ kɵwr]
Midland: [çʌ̰i̯jɐ jyə̯xʷ çiə̯ʀ ɪi̯ xʷuə̯ts çɪ ð tsʰøy̯mɪi̯ | ʈʂʰɐ çɛə̯xʷʏ ç çʊi̯ŋ ɪ kʰøə̯r]
Southern: [çʌ̰i̯jɐ jyːxʷ çiːʀ ɪ xʷuːs jɪ ð søːmɪ | ʂɐ çɛːxʷʏ ç çyːŋ ɪ kʰøːr]

cybrxkhan
mayan
mayan

Post by cybrxkhan » 27 Apr 2011 03:57

These last couple of days I managed to gradually finalize the phonology for the Ancient Egyptian inspired conlang Proto-Atosanic/Djakhetian, which is analogous to PIE in my conworld because its daughter languages spread to a whole crapload of places.

Now I just have to learn how to pronounce those epiglottals and pharyngeals.
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce

roninbodhisattva

Post by roninbodhisattva » 27 Apr 2011 06:52

I toyed with ideas for the Moksana NP. That is all :(

ian9113
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by ian9113 » 27 Apr 2011 15:34

Decided that "How are you?" in my as yet unnamed conlang would be "kwa manokke" [kwa manɔkːɛ]. Possible tonal markings: kwá manòkké.

Also decided to make a conlang with a Turkish and Bulgarian vocabulary written in Greek with a Vulgar Western Latin grammar. Should be fun!
Deutsche Sprache = schwere Sprache
:eng: :deu: :hun: (kezdő)
:con: Adranivicu
:con: Minten

roninbodhisattva

Post by roninbodhisattva » 27 Apr 2011 16:40

ian9113 wrote:Also decided to make a conlang with a Turkish and Bulgarian vocabulary written in Greek with a Vulgar Western Latin grammar. Should be fun!
Wut.

Itsuki Kohaku
sinic
sinic

Post by Itsuki Kohaku » 27 Apr 2011 16:49

roninbodhisattva wrote:
ian9113 wrote:Also decided to make a conlang with a Turkish and Bulgarian vocabulary written in Greek with a Vulgar Western Latin grammar. Should be fun!
Wut.
Wat.
In order of knowledge: :eng: :vls: :epo: :fra: :deu: :esp: :jpn: :zho: :fin: :tur: :eus:
Conlangs: :con: Literary Makurungou, :con: Common Makurungou

roninbodhisattva

Post by roninbodhisattva » 27 Apr 2011 17:01

Itsuki Kohaku wrote:
roninbodhisattva wrote:
Wut.
Wat.
Wot.

Darkgamma
banned

Post by Darkgamma » 27 Apr 2011 17:05

Moods! Nine actually :-D
Svo hvernig get ég annað en glott á þig dauðlega?

ian9113
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by ian9113 » 27 Apr 2011 17:06

... Spoken by people who migrated from western Romania to Bulgaria under Ottoman rule...?

Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » 27 Apr 2011 17:08

Darkgamma wrote:Moods! Nine actually :-D
Sweet. Which ones? A bunch of deontics or a bunch of epistemics? Both?
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter

Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx » 27 Apr 2011 17:20

Did accomplish yesterday: Pan-Etic colours (:pol:).
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.

roninbodhisattva

Post by roninbodhisattva » 27 Apr 2011 17:30

ian9113 wrote:... Spoken by people who migrated from western Romania to Bulgaria under Ottoman rule...?
So it's going to be an eastern romance language with influence from Turkish and Bulgrian? See you should say that. What it sounded like was that you were going to simply take words from the various languages, cipher vulgar Latin with them and then write it in Greek.

ian9113
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by ian9113 » 27 Apr 2011 17:40

roninbodhisattva wrote:
ian9113 wrote:... Spoken by people who migrated from western Romania to Bulgaria under Ottoman rule...?
So it's going to be an eastern romance language with influence from Turkish and Bulgrian? See you should say that. What it sounded like was that you were going to simply take words from the various languages, cipher vulgar Latin with them and then write it in Greek.
*Eastern* sorry, not Western. Yes, that is primarily what it will be. Many roots will come from vulgar Latin and some from Greek but lots of specific words will have Turkish and Bulgarian influences. Of course some grammar will be influenced, for example the verb system may be a mesh between Latin and Turkish while adjectives may be Greek and Bulgarian. As you can see, I haven't yet made anything concrete. :-) For example, if the root comes from the Latin "silva" (forest), with the vulgar Latin sound change to [silβa] it would be σηλβα, sīlva or sēlva, but the word for "tree" in Turkish "ağaç" would be perhaps αχβα achva.

cybrxkhan
mayan
mayan

Post by cybrxkhan » 27 Apr 2011 20:20

I almost got the Proto-Atosanic/Djakhetian vowel system... then I realized I had to have <o> in the orthography, so then I had to scratch all my work. :-|
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce

Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing » 27 Apr 2011 20:44

If been thinking about the personal pronouns in Wattētexu. Some days ago I decided that genitive preposition should be spelt "xō". The problem is, that the 3P.PL.ANIMATE personal pronoun is spelt the same way. I don't know whether I want it that way, or whether I should invent a "new" pronoun. Some candidates for the new 3PL are:

xixo

tē (But I think I will use this as a definite article)

roninbodhisattva

Post by roninbodhisattva » 27 Apr 2011 21:36

I'd say just leave it so you have interesting homophony.

Ceresz
runic
runic

Post by Ceresz » 28 Apr 2011 00:12

You could always just alter the spelling. I'm sure it would be distinguishable in a spoken context without alteration :-).