What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
User avatar
Ahzoh
korean
korean
Posts: 5769
Joined: 20 Oct 2013 02:57
Location: Toma-ʾEzra lit Vṛḵaža

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Ahzoh » 17 Aug 2014 07:46

I finished all my roots for my conlang's basic colour wheel:

Black = q-ẕ-d (from qaẕd 'onyx')
Red = z-w-l (from zūl 'earth')
Crimson = ḏ-y-m (from ḏīm 'blood')
Yellow = h-q-l (from hīqal 'sun')
Green = ʾ-k-n (from ʾīkan 'emerald')
Turquoise = m-ḵ-b (from mūḵeb 'turquoise')
Blue = q-w-h (from qaẇwa 'sky')
Brown = p-ḥ-f-r (from peḥfar 'sand')
White = ḵ-r-d (from ḵarīd 'bone')
Grey = b-y-j (from bēj 'ash')

Anyone got any ideas on a colour adjective word stem?
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

User avatar
Egerius
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2388
Joined: 12 Sep 2013 21:29
Location: Not Rodentèrra
Contact:

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Egerius » 17 Aug 2014 17:39

I have finished transcribing the consonantic sound changes from the photos I made a while ago: I'm just fine-tuning it and make everything consistent. :mrgreen:
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

User avatar
Chagen
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 3970
Joined: 03 Sep 2011 05:14
Location: Texas

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Chagen » 17 Aug 2014 19:38

I got rid of the split-ergativity in Pazmat and added two new cases:

The first is called the Abessive, and acts like an "anti-locative". It means "not at/away from" in terms of location: Vūqnāsam yena "I'm not at the school", literally "I'm away from the school". With a verbal infinitive it has the special meaning of "unable to": kansvūsam, fevīm ṣandṇna "unable to die, he wanders aimlessly". It also can be used to show lack of possesion: xṛḥōsam yena "I don't have (a piece of) meat", literally "I am away from meat".

The second is an "anti-instrumental" is called the Privative and just means "without" or similar terms: śṛdrāsit xīsnāya gīxesī "Bereft of a drum, I can't play music"; Śreyamūsit vustoyyī "I will walk without Śreyamu". With a verbal infinitive it means "without/not x'ing": mētvūsit sārjubbū "Without speaking he begins to weep"
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S

User avatar
Ahzoh
korean
korean
Posts: 5769
Joined: 20 Oct 2013 02:57
Location: Toma-ʾEzra lit Vṛḵaža

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Ahzoh » 17 Aug 2014 20:05

Chagen wrote:I got rid of the split-ergativity in Pazmat and added two new cases:

The first is called the Abessive, and acts like an "anti-locative". It means "not at/away from" in terms of location: Vūqnāsam yena "I'm not at the school", literally "I'm away from the school". With a verbal infinitive it has the special meaning of "unable to": kansvūsam, fevīm ṣandṇna "unable to die, he wanders aimlessly". It also can be used to show lack of possesion: xṛḥōsam yena "I don't have (a piece of) meat", literally "I am away from meat".

The second is an "anti-instrumental" is called the Privative and just means "without" or similar terms: śṛdrāsit xīsnāya gīxesī "Bereft of a drum, I can't play music"; Śreyamūsit vustoyyī "I will walk without Śreyamu". With a verbal infinitive it means "without/not x'ing": mētvūsit sārjubbū "Without speaking he begins to weep"
I am thinking that Abessive is what is what you consider the anti-instrumental.
Ablocative is the first one.
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

User avatar
Ahzoh
korean
korean
Posts: 5769
Joined: 20 Oct 2013 02:57
Location: Toma-ʾEzra lit Vṛḵaža

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Ahzoh » 18 Aug 2014 06:16

I came up with a great idea for adjectives in Vrkhazhian.
I decided I would have different adjective forms depending on the type of modifier. I call it an "Adjective System"

Adjectives in Vrkhazhian are ordered in this way:
NUMERAL-SIZE-SHAPE-COLOUR-MATERIAL-DIRECTION::NOUN::ORIGIN-CONDITION-AGE-OBSERVATION

So far I have:
Numerals/Quantity - no specific stem
Size/Mass – CaCCa / CūCCūm (e.g. dabna 'heavy')
Shape – toCCeC / tōCCaCīya (e.g. toḵlek 'circular, round')
Colour - ʾaCaCīC / ʾaCaCCīya (e.g. ʾazawīl 'red')
Material - no specific stem (e.g. havīr 'mercury')
Directional - no specific stem (e.g. southern, western, eastern, northern)
Noun
Origin - no specific stem
Condition – ʾīCCōCa / ʾīCCōCīya (e.g. ʾīhrōda 'pure, unspoiled')
Age - no specific stem
Observation/Opinion – ʾīfCaCaC / ʾīfCīCeC (e.g. ʾīfmanab 'beautiful')

Example phrase:
ṛ-Dūbnūm ṛ-havīr ṛ-mašarad ṛ-ʾīfmīneb
DEF-heavy-PL DEF-mercury DEF-golem-PL DEF-beautiful-PL
The beautiful heavy mercury golems.

What do you think?
I rather like the word "ʾazawīl"
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

User avatar
k1234567890y
runic
runic
Posts: 3081
Joined: 04 Jan 2014 04:47
Contact:

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by k1234567890y » 18 Aug 2014 08:49

Ahzoh wrote:I finished all my roots for my conlang's basic colour wheel:

Black = q-ẕ-d (from qaẕd 'onyx')
Red = z-w-l (from zūl 'earth')
Crimson = ḏ-y-m (from ḏīm 'blood')
Yellow = h-q-l (from hīqal 'sun')
Green = ʾ-k-n (from ʾīkan 'emerald')
Turquoise = m-ḵ-b (from mūḵeb 'turquoise')
Blue = q-w-h (from qaẇwa 'sky')
Brown = p-ḥ-f-r (from peḥfar 'sand')
White = ḵ-r-d (from ḵarīd 'bone')
Grey = b-y-j (from bēj 'ash')

Anyone got any ideas on a colour adjective word stem?
you can look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_term and/or http://wals.info/chapter/132 for knowledges abo0ut the evolution of colour terms.
...

User avatar
Ahzoh
korean
korean
Posts: 5769
Joined: 20 Oct 2013 02:57
Location: Toma-ʾEzra lit Vṛḵaža

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Ahzoh » 18 Aug 2014 09:17

k1234567890y wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:I finished all my roots for my conlang's basic colour wheel:

Black = q-ẕ-d (from qaẕd 'onyx')
Red = z-w-l (from zūl 'earth')
Crimson = ḏ-y-m (from ḏīm 'blood')
Yellow = h-q-l (from hīqal 'sun')
Green = ʾ-k-n (from ʾīkan 'emerald')
Turquoise = m-ḵ-b (from mūḵeb 'turquoise')
Blue = q-w-h (from qaẇwa 'sky')
Brown = p-ḥ-f-r (from peḥfar 'sand')
White = ḵ-r-d (from ḵarīd 'bone')
Grey = b-y-j (from bēj 'ash')

Anyone got any ideas on a colour adjective word stem?
you can look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_term and/or http://wals.info/chapter/132 for knowledges abo0ut the evolution of colour terms.
I already read that before.
And in my latest post, I already resolved the issue.
Last edited by Ahzoh on 18 Aug 2014 09:18, edited 1 time in total.
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

User avatar
Lambuzhao
korean
korean
Posts: 7782
Joined: 13 May 2012 02:57

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Lambuzhao » 18 Aug 2014 09:17

Chagen wrote:I got rid of the split-ergativity in Pazmat and added two new cases:

The first is called the Abessive, and acts like an "anti-locative". It means "not at/away from" in terms of location: Vūqnāsam yena "I'm not at the school", literally "I'm away from the school". With a verbal infinitive it has the special meaning of "unable to": kansvūsam, fevīm ṣandṇna "unable to die, he wanders aimlessly". It also can be used to show lack of possesion: xṛḥōsam yena "I don't have (a piece of) meat", literally "I am away from meat".

The second is an "anti-instrumental" is called the Privative and just means "without" or similar terms: śṛdrāsit xīsnāya gīxesī "Bereft of a drum, I can't play music"; Śreyamūsit vustoyyī "I will walk without Śreyamu". With a verbal infinitive it means "without/not x'ing": mētvūsit sārjubbū "Without speaking he begins to weep"
Interestingly, this/these sound similar to how my :con: Rozwi uses its Ablative case. The Ablative was originally the oblique prepositional case. But, as other cases took over various prepositions, the ablative became more and more associated with PRPs meaning "out of, from" (origin), "by" (authorship) -v- "without" (privation), "away from" (abessive). From the second group of meanings, more and more, I used the Ablative for the direct object of negative sentences, and for the compliment of negative copula.

But I also notice that your ideas for Verbal Nouns in the Abessive & Privative cases makes a lot of sense. Very economical!
[tick]

User avatar
k1234567890y
runic
runic
Posts: 3081
Joined: 04 Jan 2014 04:47
Contact:

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by k1234567890y » 18 Aug 2014 09:40

Ahzoh wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:I finished all my roots for my conlang's basic colour wheel:

Black = q-ẕ-d (from qaẕd 'onyx')
Red = z-w-l (from zūl 'earth')
Crimson = ḏ-y-m (from ḏīm 'blood')
Yellow = h-q-l (from hīqal 'sun')
Green = ʾ-k-n (from ʾīkan 'emerald')
Turquoise = m-ḵ-b (from mūḵeb 'turquoise')
Blue = q-w-h (from qaẇwa 'sky')
Brown = p-ḥ-f-r (from peḥfar 'sand')
White = ḵ-r-d (from ḵarīd 'bone')
Grey = b-y-j (from bēj 'ash')

Anyone got any ideas on a colour adjective word stem?
you can look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_term and/or http://wals.info/chapter/132 for knowledges abo0ut the evolution of colour terms.
I already read that before.
And in my latest post, I already resolved the issue.
ok, maybe names of some plants(for example, lavender, the word of which can also serve as the stem of purple, but the question is, do people of that language have an idea of lavenders?) can serve as the base of some colour terms.
...

User avatar
Dormouse559
moderator
moderator
Posts: 2818
Joined: 10 Nov 2012 20:52
Location: California

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Dormouse559 » 18 Aug 2014 10:10

I made some progress on the second part of my creation mythology, the one I posted here. Still don't have native names for the gods, but some human characters do. I've explained the origin of death and plants (both wild and domesticated) and hunting. Now for time and timekeeping.

User avatar
Chagen
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 3970
Joined: 03 Sep 2011 05:14
Location: Texas

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Chagen » 18 Aug 2014 20:35

For whatever reason while taking a piss two minutes ago I formulated the Pazmat expression for various things like "no fucking way!", "you've got to be shitting me!", or "are you insane?!": kāṣṣit!, a worn-down and slurred pronunciation of kāyōsit!, itself a shortening of kāyōsit yefe! "you're without (your) mind!".

Pronouncing it fully strengthens the meaning. For even more explicitness add the adverb nidhīm "greatly/to a large extent"; so, kāṣṣit! is "no way/you're kidding!", kayōsit yefe! is "no goddamn way/you've got to be shitting me/the hell is wrong with you!(?)" and nidhīm kāyōsit (yefe) is pretty much "Are you fucking insane?", "No fucking way!", or "(What) the fuck happened (to you)?".

Coming up with slang is fun.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S

thetha
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1961
Joined: 29 Apr 2011 01:43

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by thetha » 18 Aug 2014 22:49

tmi, buddy. We didn't need to hear that you were doing that when you came up with that phrase.

User avatar
Chagen
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 3970
Joined: 03 Sep 2011 05:14
Location: Texas

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Chagen » 18 Aug 2014 23:12

Oh please, that's just being obnoxiously prudish. I'm not meeting the damn president here.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 11653
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by shimobaatar » 18 Aug 2014 23:23

k1234567890y wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:I finished all my roots for my conlang's basic colour wheel:

Black = q-ẕ-d (from qaẕd 'onyx')
Red = z-w-l (from zūl 'earth')
Crimson = ḏ-y-m (from ḏīm 'blood')
Yellow = h-q-l (from hīqal 'sun')
Green = ʾ-k-n (from ʾīkan 'emerald')
Turquoise = m-ḵ-b (from mūḵeb 'turquoise')
Blue = q-w-h (from qaẇwa 'sky')
Brown = p-ḥ-f-r (from peḥfar 'sand')
White = ḵ-r-d (from ḵarīd 'bone')
Grey = b-y-j (from bēj 'ash')

Anyone got any ideas on a colour adjective word stem?
you can look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_term and/or http://wals.info/chapter/132 for knowledges abo0ut the evolution of colour terms.
I already read that before.
And in my latest post, I already resolved the issue.
ok, maybe names of some plants(for example, lavender, the word of which can also serve as the stem of purple, but the question is, do people of that language have an idea of lavenders?) can serve as the base of some colour terms.

I'm pretty sure they weren't asking for ideas of what words could become colour terms. They already had the triconsonantal roots for their basic colour terms, so they were asking for ideas on what vowel stem could turn those roots into adjectives. And, as they said, they've already resolved the issue.

taylorS
sinic
sinic
Posts: 448
Joined: 12 Aug 2010 05:06
Location: Moorhead, MN, USA

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by taylorS » 19 Aug 2014 05:14

Added some funky morphophonology to Future English.

-----------

English coda /p t k/ becomes /ʔ/ in Future English, but this does not happen before vowels and in some other contexts.

So "I stopped" is eftó', but "I stopped it" is eftóbe'.

----------

Also, the imperfective suffix -n (derived from "-ing") assimilates to any preceding stop.

so "I stop" is etó', but "I am stopping" is etómm.

User avatar
Ahzoh
korean
korean
Posts: 5769
Joined: 20 Oct 2013 02:57
Location: Toma-ʾEzra lit Vṛḵaža

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Ahzoh » 20 Aug 2014 02:13

I realized to potential for abiguity in my conlang's noun morphology. since hiatus is avoided by an epenthetic /h/, words that end in vowels that are placed in the construct state effective get the suffix -hii, which also causes issue with the ablative suffix that is also -hii when appended to words ending in vowels, what then about a noun in the construct state but also declined for ablative? My solution:

ʾanšī = land
ʾanšī - ablative
ʾanšīhūconstruct state
ʾanšīhūconstruct state ablative
ʾanšīfad - ablative plural
ʾanšīhūm - construct state plural
ʾanšīfūm - construct state pluralablative plural

ṛ-ʾanšīhūhī naʾībīr šadīkī.
From the land of my (fore)fathers.

I don't really like it, but I have not really found an appealing consonant to replace <h> in the ablative ending. Well, I suppose I could use <f>.

ṛ-ʾanšīhūfī naʾībīr šadīkī.
From the land of my (fore)fathers.
Last edited by Ahzoh on 21 Aug 2014 06:32, edited 3 times in total.
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

User avatar
thaen
roman
roman
Posts: 1080
Joined: 04 Jun 2011 22:01
Location: Plano

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by thaen » 21 Aug 2014 05:26

I did the sound changes and tonogenisis for my currently unnamed conlang, which has Old, Middle, and New ages.
:con: Nillahimma
:con: Øð!
:con: Coneylang

I am the Great Rabbit. Fear me, O Crabs!
Spoiler:
ı θ ð ʃ ɲ ŋ ʔ ɛ ə ø ʑ ɕ ʷ ʲ ⁿ

User avatar
Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 3722
Joined: 25 Nov 2012 10:13
Location: Carnassus

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 21 Aug 2014 06:11

Teddy wrote:tmi, buddy.
I don't really agree. I mean, it's not like he described it in intimate detail.
Chagen wrote:For whatever reason while taking a piss two minutes ago[...]
I for one find it affirming that I'm not the only person who seems to come up with good ideas in the shower, or while dropping a deuce.
Image

User avatar
Lao Kou
korean
korean
Posts: 5665
Joined: 25 Nov 2012 10:39
Location: 蘇州/苏州

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Lao Kou » 21 Aug 2014 06:34

XXXVII wrote:I for one find it affirming that I'm not the only person who seems to come up with good ideas in the shower, or while dropping a deuce.
Ah, the shower! A veritable shrine of inspirations and new connections! Less so the other ablutions.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

User avatar
Ahzoh
korean
korean
Posts: 5769
Joined: 20 Oct 2013 02:57
Location: Toma-ʾEzra lit Vṛḵaža

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Ahzoh » 21 Aug 2014 06:37

XXXVII wrote:
Chagen wrote:For whatever reason while taking a piss two minutes ago[...]
I for one find it affirming that I'm not the only person who seems to come up with good ideas in the shower, or while dropping a deuce.
I get inspiration in my dreams.
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

Post Reply