A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Dormouse559

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Dormouse559 » 07 May 2019 08:15

DesEsseintes wrote:
07 May 2019 06:12
/t͡ɬ/ is no longer a Híí phoneme.
Ooh, drama! What did /t͡ɬ/ do to get voted off the island? [:P]

Awhile ago, I watched a video about Dinorwig Power Station, which can store excess electricity by pumping water uphill into a reservoir and later meet higher power demand by letting the water flow back downhill. I knew I wanted to have similar systems in Silvia because of how many hydroelectric opportunities there are in the Alps. And just now, an article popped up on my Facebook feed revealing that there is at least one power plant of just that type not far from Moûtiers, which would be Silvia's capital. :mrgreen:

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 07 May 2019 09:29

Dormouse559 wrote:
07 May 2019 08:15
DesEsseintes wrote:
07 May 2019 06:12
/t͡ɬ/ is no longer a Híí phoneme.
Ooh, drama! What did /t͡ɬ/ do to get voted off the island? [:P]
It was behaving badly, like pushing itself to the front of words where it stuck out like a sore thumb, and therefore it was duly punished.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 08 May 2019 08:46

Completely reworked the numeral system of Vrkhazhian. The system is still base-12 as it always has been, but the words are different. Grammatically, they don't behave any different than adjective and thus agree in case (only nominative and genitive) and gender.

Note: X = 10, E = 11
Spoiler:
1₁₂ = tibs- (< tībṯ-)
2₁₂ = śyar- (< śiǟr-)
3₁₂ = lmin- (< lamēn-)
4₁₂ = ʾežez- (< eǧeḏ-)
5₁₂ = maʾar- (< māṣār-)
6₁₂ = šehw- (< xesu-)
7₁₂ = yśəw- (< zaśū-)
8₁₂ = hmiz- (< samiḏ-)
9₁₂ = yuñc- (< yūñk-)
X₁₂ = xtel- (< xatel-)
E₁₂ = hjaḳ- (< segäḳ-)

10₁₂ = ċnəyz- (< ḳinīḏ-)
20₁₂ = śəyran- (< śiǟrǟn-)
30₁₂ = ləmnan- (< lamēnǟn-)
40₁₂ = ʾəžzan- (< eǧeḏǟn-)
50₁₂ = məʾran- (< māṣārǟn-)
60₁₂ = šəhwan- (< xesuǟn-)
70₁₂ = yəśwan- (< zaśūǟn-)
80₁₂ = həmzan- (< samiḏǟn-)
90₁₂ = yəñcan- (< yūñkǟn-)
X0₁₂ = xətlan- (< xatelǟn-)
E0₁₂ = həjḳan- (< segäḳǟn-)

100₁₂ = ṭžat- (< ṭäǧät-)
200₁₂ = śyarṭažat- (< śiǟrṭäǧät-)
300₁₂ = laminṭažat- (< lamēnṭäǧät-)
400₁₂ = ʾežezṭažat- (< eǧeḏṭäǧät-)
500₁₂ = maʾarṭažat- (< māṣārṭäǧät-)
600₁₂ = šehəṭžat- (< xesuṭäǧät-)
700₁₂ = yaśəwṭažat- (< zaśūṭäǧät-)
800₁₂ = hamizṭažat- (< samiḏṭäǧät-)
900₁₂ = yuñcəṭžat- (< yūñkäṭäǧät-)
X00₁₂ = xatelṭažat- (< xatelṭäǧät-)
E00₁₂ = hejaḳṭažat- (< segäḳṭäǧät-)

1000₁₂ = cattah- (< kätkätas-)
Ṣohi tuxənhas xan ʾalwadən yuñcəṭžati ña ḳurušən śyarṭažatu šadek.
PROX.M.SG ACC-commander-CONS army-CONS soldier-CONS-PL 1296-GEN and boat-CONS-PL 288-GEN 1s-GEN
[sʼohi tuxənɦɑs xɑn ɑɮwɑdən juŋcətʼʝɑti ŋɑ kʼuruçən ɬjɑrtʼɑʝɑtu çɑdek]
The commander of an army of 900₁₂ men and 200₁₂ ships.
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

CivilixXXX
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by CivilixXXX » 11 May 2019 19:33

Learnt pronouciation of eppiglottals.
/tsʲi¹⁴vʲiː⁵³ʎiks³³ iksʔiksʔiks/

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 12 May 2019 00:08

Watched Tolkien today. Definitely worth the watch; definitely don't read the reviews beforehand!

Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine » 14 May 2019 09:19

I'm expanding upon Gothish's system of clitic pronouns, modelled off of Romance languages such as Spanish or Friulian. These pronouns are obligatory with the verb in all contexts and are often doubled with stressed pronouns.
Spoiler:
My Blog
Current Projects:
Crimean Gothic — A Gothic language spoken in Crimea (duh)
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
An unnamed Semitic language spoken in the Caucus.

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 14 May 2019 18:59

I’ve been playing with Ni’óno3íínow again after a four-year hiatus.

Jííni Dééni, níí’jonókuu yid 3óyuu...
Good God, I don’t know what I’m doing...

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 17 May 2019 08:32

Reworked Vrkhazhian postpositions. So now postpositions have both a static meaning or a dynamic meaning depending on the type of verb, static when used with stative verbs or the null copula predicate and dynamic when used with motion verbs. Noun that are the objects of post positions are always in the construct state. This is also the case for null-copula predicates.

So far, I came up with these adpostions:

Simple adpostions:
ku "at"
maǧ "inside, within"
bar "on (vertical)"
šu "on (horizontal)"
ʾina "at the middle of, between, among"
hiś "at the side of, beside"
ñan "at the back of, behind, beyond"
ja "at the front of, in front of"
ʾi "under"
pu "above
ba "near"
he "far"
ddəw "without"
sa "with"
kurəy "around"
xməw "in comparison to, unlike, except, but, other than"
diñ "in contrary direction to, against"

Complex adpositions:
sawəñyəw ... ddəw "despite"
sapəṭṭəw ... "because"
sacəmxəw ... "in addition to, as well as"

An example sentence:
ʾama t-ʾaxna nušš ʾoto maṣyarən šadik ddəw.
[ɑmɑ tɑxnɑ nuçː o̞to̞ mɑsʼjɑrən çɑdik dːəw]
Without friends, I have nothing.

What I would consider permutations of the same sentence but with different postpositions, left is the static meaning without any verb, while right is the dynamic meaning using the verb numuttim meaning "went" (Also, ba- and he- indicate allative and ablative cases respectively):

Code: Select all

ḳin tušimən "They are houses"                         |
ḳin bašimən "They will be houses"                     | ḳin numuttim bašim "They went to the house" 
ḳin hešimən "They were houses"                        | ḳin numuttim hešim "They went away from the house"

ḳin tušim ku "They are at the house"
ḳin bašim ku "They will be at the house"
ḳin hešim ku "They were at the house"

ḳin tušim maǧ "They are inside the house"             |
ḳin bašim maǧ "They will be inside the house"         | ḳin numuttim bašim maǧ "They went into the house"
ḳin hešim maǧ "They were inside the house"            | ḳin numuttim hešim maǧ "They went out of the house"

ḳin tušim bar "They are on the side of the house"     |
ḳin bašim bar "They will be on the side of the house" | ḳin numuttim bašim bar "They went onto the side of the house"
ḳin hešim bar "They were on the side of the house"    | ḳin numuttim hešim bar "They went off from the side the house"

ḳin tušim šu "They are on top of the house"           |
ḳin bašim šu "They will be on top of the house"       | ḳin numuttim bašim bar "They went onto the top of the house"
ḳin hešim šu "They were on top of the house"          | ḳin numuttim hešim bar "They went off from the top of the house"

ḳin tušimən ʾina "They are between the houses"        |
ḳin bašimən ʾina "They will be between the houses"    | ḳin numuttim bašimən ʾina "They went through the houses"
ḳin hešimən ʾina "They were between the houses"       | ḳin numuttim hešimən ʾina "They went through the houses"
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

LinguoFranco
greek
greek

Post by LinguoFranco » 18 May 2019 18:34

I startled a Proto-language. It's really basic and simple at the moment, but I plan to make it more complex. It is analytic with monosyllabic words, but I'm going to make it agglunative over time, if I don't abandon it like I do with a lot of my projects.

The phonotactics will be based on Modern Greek, particularly the syllable structure and prosody.

yangfiretiger121
sinic
sinic

Post by yangfiretiger121 » 18 May 2019 23:41

I gave my setting's current language a number system.
Alien conlangs (Font may be needed for Vai symbols)

Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir » 20 May 2019 04:36

elemtilas wrote:
12 May 2019 00:08
Watched Tolkien today. Definitely worth the watch; definitely don't read the reviews beforehand!
I've been keeping away from it because the film's previews make it look like his life was full of LOTR imagery and that was the source of his books.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 20 May 2019 05:04

Keenir wrote:
20 May 2019 04:36
elemtilas wrote:
12 May 2019 00:08
I've been keeping away from it because the film's previews make it look like his life was full of LOTR imagery and that was the source of his books.
Well, there are some (perhaps too) obvious LOTR tie-ins. One striking one was the flame-thrower attack while he was in the trenches: they depicted the scene at first as an actual dragon. And after a moment, the dragon resolves into German soldiers. Some are, perhaps, a little more subtle: the scene where he and Edith snuck into the props store under the opera house stage and are listening to Wagner. She picks up various articles of costume and dances and acts out the scene. She picks up a huge gold Ring.

I wasn't bothered by such images, because I do think he himself drew very much visual inspiration from the places he saw and experiences he lived through. (I also wasn't bothered because I think that way as well.) I can well imagine Birmingham of the early 1900s as the garden spot of Mordor; the blasted warscape of the French trenches as the battle plain before the Black Gate; the ideas of love and fellowship and loss and divine intervention that he experienced growing up all fitting puzzlewise into their places.

It's a bit dramatised, of course, though. The "cellar door" scene was, perhaps, a bit too contrived. The film was well acted (Derek Jacobi did a good Joseph Wright I think; Lily Collins portrayed a very lovely Edith Bratt (and she was quite the looker!); and I think Nicholas Hoult did well also as JRRT) and hit all the important spots that I'm familiar with from letters & biographies. Which is a bit of a feat, given that Tolkien himself was never too keen on divulging biographical information.

I'd give it a shot. The worst that can happen is you'll hate it and throw a metaphorical book at me for egging you into it!

Vlürch
sinic
sinic

Post by Vlürch » 25 May 2019 13:22

For an as-of-yet unnamed conlang that's supposed to be the language of an empire somewhere west of China in an interdimensional bubble or whatever, I finally have a satisfactory "ranking system" for individuals in a royal court derived from Old Chinese. The majority of the terms (so far) are compounds of two Old Chinese words, except a few direct "borrowings". I'll keep adding more, of course, and in the process the conculture fleshes itself out.

This same process has also solved one of the problems that annoyed me since I started working on the conlang, that it'd become a linguistic freezer on a level that Finnish would pale in comparison to; by having different things happen to syllables in compounds than in the words by themselves, a lot of weird fairly un-Chinese-y stuff is possible. I don't know if that's entirely realistic, but all the reductions and additions make sense to me so I'm not too concerned.

I've also decided to add even more locative cases, because 21 isn't enough. [:P] This is a perfect opportunity to add in those sweet compass points... but first I'll have to decide how to derive those. I kinda want to just stack Old Chinese cardinal directions on words (followed by the vowel that all locative cases just happen to end in) since that's such a ridiculous idea, but I have a feeling that's not exactly realistic... but it's probably what I'll end up doing anyway, maybe with some additional syllable-de(con)struction for directions like north-northeast, etc. so that they won't become too regular. :roll:

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 28 May 2019 05:43

I have a name for my latest conlang, namely Ch’eweyõw̌e.

I also made some verb roots, including this beauty:

sex [se̞x] - to drink

I also lost sleep last night wondering whether to add clicks to this language. I remain undecided (read terrified).

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 05 Jun 2019 19:37

Double post!

I just added clicks to my conlang Ch’eweyõw̌e and managed to come up with a romanisation I’m satisfied with. The entire inventory now looks like this:

/m n/ m n
/m’ n’/ m̌ ň
/p t t͡s t͡ʃ k ʔ/ p t c ch k ’
/p’ t’ t͡s’ t͡ʃ’ k’/ p’ t’ c’ ch’ k’
/ʘ ǀ ǁ/ cp’ ct’ cc’
/s ʃ x h/ s sh x h
/z ʒ ɣ/ z zh g
/j w/ y w
/j’ w’/ y̌ w̌

It’s neither logical nor particularly consistent but it works with the aesthetic.

Clicks are glottalised except when following one of the nasalised vowels ã õ in which case they are nasalised instead and the glottalisation mark is not written.

A few sample words with clicks:

nacp’ayõte
‘icc’yápe
yõccwetu
wagãcpe

Pretty exciting stuff!

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore » 05 Jun 2019 23:18

Today I finished reading the Wikipedia articles on all eighteen of the peoples whom they list as both matrilineal and (matrilocal or uxorilocal or duolocal).
(They’re not all gynocratic nor matriarchal.)

Of most interest to me were the Garo (not their autoethnonym; that’s Achik Mande) because they practice female ultimogeniture.

(They are the people after whom the hymn “I have decided to follow Jesus; no turning back” was named. Its tune is named Assam, after the Indian state in which most of them live(d).)

Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » 07 Jun 2019 11:30

Darth Micamo: "You should learn how to use Tensorflow to create a GAN to design conlangs"

Me: "That sounds horrible"

Darth Micamo: "Doooooo iiiiiit"
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 07 Jun 2019 12:44

Micamo wrote:
07 Jun 2019 11:30
Darth Micamo: "You should learn how to use Tensorflow to create a GAN to design conlangs"
(scrambles to read/youtube up on Tensorflow & Generative Adversarial Networks)…

Wow. Whew. Whoa.

Me: "That sounds horrible"

Darth Micamo: "Doooooo iiiiiit"
When you've found & learnt every last scrap from the Deep Dark Holocra,
Only then will you be powwaful enough in the Dark Side of the Force to give a turnaround training

Could you do a turn-around training?
[:$]

Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » 07 Jun 2019 13:51

It probably won't work, to actually train the discriminator you need hundreds of thousands of examples. The best I could hope for is to get something that spits out nonsense "passages" that look like they're coherent conlang samples, but are just nonsense. And I'd have to fish up some endless source of good-looking samples somehow. Problem is, if I just use some other algorithm to generate them, the adversary won't learn to generate things any more realistic and natural than the other algorithm does.

I might do it anyway though, I like to mess with math stuff just because I can.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 08 Jun 2019 05:07

Finished a novella set in The World today.

Well, "finished" until I decide to start tinkering...