SapirWhorf

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
hadad
sinic
sinic

SapirWhorf

Post by hadad » 15 Feb 2014 03:49

I hate to be an advocate of the theory, but I've noticed that I'm starting to be able to hear the differences between tones and length now of vowels. Perhaps my studying of linguistics has been opening up neuropathways?I haven't noticed this before and its creating some exciting ideas for languages. [xD]
Know phrases in more languages than can fit in this signature.
Speaks English and Spanish.
Reads Sumerian.
There is more.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Re: SapirWhorf

Post by Ahzoh » 15 Feb 2014 04:19

hadad wrote:I hate to be an advocate of the theory, but I've noticed that I'm starting to be able to hear the differences between tones and length now of vowels. Perhaps my studying of linguistics has been opening up neuropathways?I haven't noticed this before and its creating some exciting ideas for languages. [xD]
SapirWhorf has to do with language influencing thoughts...
just because you are able to distinguish tone and vowel length, does not mean to have anything to do with SapirWhorf...
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

hadad
sinic
sinic

Post by hadad » 15 Feb 2014 19:06

Ahzoh wrote:
hadad wrote:I hate to be an advocate of the theory, but I've noticed that I'm starting to be able to hear the differences between tones and length now of vowels. Perhaps my studying of linguistics has been opening up neuropathways?I haven't noticed this before and its creating some exciting ideas for languages. [xD]
just because you are able to distinguish tone and vowel length, does not mean to have anything to do with SapirWhorf...
Thought as well as perception. There was a documentary that demonstrated it with color. Either way, I didn't say it was proof. I simply said I've begun to perceive the difference. It's exciting for me.
Know phrases in more languages than can fit in this signature.
Speaks English and Spanish.
Reads Sumerian.
There is more.

Thakowsaizmu
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thakowsaizmu » 16 Feb 2014 03:34

Ahzoh wrote:
[+1]

Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing » 16 Feb 2014 09:37

hadad wrote:Thought as well as perception. There was a documentary that demonstrated it with color. Either way, I didn't say it was proof. I simply said I've begun to perceive the difference. It's exciting for me.
Sapir/Whorf is about extralinguistic perception (how things are in the world). Intralinguistic perception is another thing. It's not really surprising that speakers of a language that contrasts, say, dental and alveolar plosives are more sensitive to that contrast (and that speakers of languages lacking that contrast might perhaps not notice it without training). You don't have to be a Whorfian to believe that.

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 16 Feb 2014 11:18

I second the words of Ahzoh and Xing, especially the latter in their description of Sapir-Whorf in relation to perception, i.e. it's about how language affects a person's perception of the world around them, not how they perceive the sounds of their own, or another, language [:)]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

Jarhead
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Jarhead » 24 Mar 2014 10:32

Ahzoh wrote:
[+1]
L1: :ita:
Fluent (on a good day): :eng:
Written: :lat:
Beginner: :esp:
Working on: :con: ~ Eil