What have you been reading lately? (non-linguistic ed.)

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
gach
MVP
MVP

What have you been reading lately? (non-linguistic ed.)

Post by gach » 29 Jun 2015 13:23

I started Mika Waltari's The Dark Angel (Finnish: Johannes Angelos) yesterday as travel reading and now I don't know at all why I haven't taken to read him more systematically in the past.

It's not linguistics, but there's a wordplay in there [:P]

Edit: Split from: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4580

eldin raigmore
fire
fire

What are you reading? or What have you been reading?

Post by eldin raigmore » 16 Jul 2017 07:29

I just finished Max Barry's novel "Lexicon".
It's really fun for people like us.
I binged it in 13 hours, from around 1:00pm Saturday afternoon to around 2:00am Sunday morning.
It doesn't actually have a conlang in it.
It has several vocabulary words from one or more conlangs; but only the protagoniste realizes they're organizable into a complete language, instead of just being a collection of independent "words".
But it makes good plot-driving use of many of the ideas we've discussed on this board and similar community websites.
Would it be "spammy" for me to say I very much recommend it?

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Re: What are you reading? or What have you been reading?

Post by Egerius » 16 Jul 2017 11:09

Speaking of binging, I read the first three Harry Potter books in 6 days.
This happened in October 2016 and I've had no time to pick up where I left (first third of the fourth book by November 1) since. Welp...
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

Adarain
greek
greek

Post by Adarain » 16 Jul 2017 11:33

Lately I've been filling my literary gap that is Pratchett. I've read eight of his books now. Now it's time to go back to some heavier reading with The Languages of Native North America.
At kveldi skal dag lęyfa,
Konu es bręnnd es,
Mæki es ręyndr es,
Męy es gefin es,
Ís es yfir kømr,
Ǫl es drukkit es.

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » 16 Jul 2017 11:57

On the Chinese side: 时间之书:余世存说二十四节气 (A Book on Time: Yu Shicun Schmoozes About the Twenty-Four (Traditional Chinese) Seasonal Divisions) by Yu Shicun
(hopefully obviously, translation mine)
On the English side: The Alexiad by Anna Komnene, translated by E.R.A. Sewter
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness

Post by DesEsseintes » 16 Jul 2017 13:37

Lao Kou wrote:The Alexiad by Anna Komnene, translated by E.R.A. Sewter
Ooh nice!

Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » 16 Jul 2017 14:01

Recently read:
ImageImageImage

Currently reading:
ImageImageImage

Up next:
ImageImageImage

EDIT: Crap, didn't realize these images were all gonna come out this big. Lemme know if anyone has problems?
My pronouns are <xie> [ʒiː] / <xer> [ʒɚ]

My shitty twitter

lsd
roman
roman

Post by lsd » 16 Jul 2017 14:10

A little comment maybe to make us want to read them ...

shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » 16 Jul 2017 17:54

lsd wrote:A little comment maybe to make us want to read them ...
It isn't Micamo's job to advertise these books; they're just answering the questions put forth by the thread's title.

Also, perhaps this thread could be merged with this one?

eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » 16 Jul 2017 18:04

shimobaatar wrote:Also, perhaps this thread could be merged with this one?
Yes, please! I looked for that thread and couldn't find it.

lsd
roman
roman

Post by lsd » 16 Jul 2017 18:08

It isn't Micamo's job to advertise these books; they're just answering the questions put forth by the thread's title
The pleasure of reading is also to share discoveries ( I'm not sure advertising has the same purpose...) more than spread a bibliography without object ...
But if the title does not say it ...

Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » 17 Jul 2017 01:40

If they *really* want some quick summaries:

The Wolf of the North - Viking dude blusters around a lot. Kinda mediocre. 3 stars.
The Hate U Give - A teenage girl witnesses a cop murdering her friend. 5 stars, highly recommended.
Ninefox Gambit - Possessed by the ghost of a centuries dead general, a soldier must retake a space station. Delightfully weird, but ends just as it's getting interesting. 4 stars.

Kiss The Girl - Girl at an ad agency falls in love with her rival. (It's lesbian.)
Court of Broken Knives - I'm honestly not sure what the plot of this one is yet? It's grimdark fantasy that's so far mostly just focused on gory death descriptions.
Corsair - Space piracy by way of computer hacking.

When Dimple Met Rishi - A desi girl is put in an arranged marriage she initially does not want but eventually falls in love with her fiance.
On The Edge Of Gone - After a comet impact destroys civilization, an autistic girl must find a place for her and her family on a generation ship.
Our Dark Duet - Two monster hunters team up to confront their past.
My pronouns are <xie> [ʒiː] / <xer> [ʒɚ]

My shitty twitter

lsd
roman
roman

Post by lsd » 17 Jul 2017 18:08

eldin raigmore wrote:I just finished Max Barry's novel "Lexicon".
It's really fun for people like us....
Would it be "spammy" for me to say I very much recommend it?
I got it... gotta try it this summer...

Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Re: What have you been reading lately?

Post by Lambuzhao » 17 Jul 2017 20:54

Krondor: The Assassins by Raymond E. Feist. I began it about a month ago when I went to Jury Selection.

Haven't continued yet.
:roll:

alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » 26 Jul 2017 20:32

Let's see, what are some recent (new) things for me...

I recently read Declare by Tim Powers. It's a somewhat dark fantasy spy thriller taking place during the Cold War. In brief, a spy during World War II found himself drawn into a mysterious organization dealing with the supernatural. His biggest, most-important mission, fails spectacularly. Twenty years later, he has a chance to give it another shot.

A true summary of the book would mention so many things--but part of the joy of reading this book was when I was about halfway in and still was just starting to uncover what it's all about. If this sounds at all like the kind of thing you're into, I would advise not reading too much about the plot, to preserve the mystery. Definite 5 stars for me.

Aside from that, I confess it's mostly been rereading old stuff, for me. I'm redoing the Witcher books at the moment. It's a weird series. I like 'em, though.

Brief summary for them, if you're unfamiliar: the stories are about Geralt, a witcher (essentially a grumpy professional monster hunter); his off-and-on-again lover, the sorceress Yennefer; and their sort-of adopted daughter Ciri, who might destroy the world someday and everyone wants control of. The books are set in a grim (but still often funny) pseudo-medieval fantasy world of the "everyone is always at war and life really sucks if you're a peasant" variety, with lots of confusing politics. They started off as some short stories about Geralt's travels (complete with pastiches of fairy tales), but the end of the short stories set up the main plot of the novel series, which focuses on the Geralt/Yennefer/Ciri story. They're odd books, and I feel I haven't done them justice at all through this description. One thing I like about them is the mix of a scientific and mystical approach to magic; it's always funny when Geralt gets annoyed by superstitious woo-woo turning out to be true, despite all scientific evidence to the contrary.

(because the original books are in Polish and only got translated later, you may be more familiar with the series title through the videogames, which are set after the novels but came out in English earlier)

I give them... man. I dunno. Three stars, I guess? They're kind of trash. But I absolutely love them. (and I'm not sure how much of the weird writing is a result of translation, and how much is original)

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 28 Jul 2017 00:00

Tolkien's Final Witness;
Headland's Court Life in China;
Wilson's Bayeaux Tapestry;
Belasco & Byrne's Book of Fairy Tales.

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

lsd
roman
roman

Post by lsd » 28 Jul 2017 19:18

La Licorne et le Dragon; Les malentendus dans la recherche de l’universel
(The Unicorn and the Dragon: The misunderstandings in the search for universal)
From a series of seminars between European and Chinese researchers on the cultural misunderstanding between East and West ...

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 29 Jul 2017 18:24

It's cool to see that so many people here enjoy fantasy--I expected as much from the conworlding community. :)

When I read fiction, I often do read sci/fi or fantasy. Recently I've been reading Orson Scott Card's other novels in the "Ender" series, as well as some of Philip K. Dick's stories.

But I also read a lot of non-fiction. I just finished a book on JFK called An Unfinished Life and still plowing through Sihler's Comparative Grammar of Greek and Latin :)
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 29 Jul 2017 21:25

I've been re-reading Sal's reviews in his Disworld Re-Read Project because why the hell not? I love the Discworld novels and Sal's reviews are pretty damn good. I disagree from time to time on specific points, but when it comes to overall "scores" I'm more or less with him on every book [:)]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 05 Aug 2017 21:42

Finished Tolkien's Final Witness --- pretty good read, actually. And I don't often read courtroom / legal dramas. Also appreciated a few easter egg homages towards his illustrious grandfather's Legendarium!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera