Can someone identify these chinese characters?

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Serena
sinic
sinic

Can someone identify these chinese characters?

Post by Serena » 29 Jul 2015 23:37

I tried my best, but I am not a pro with photoshop. I would not be surprised if at least one or two strokes were wrong. I still hope that someone can identify them.

(Yes. apparently, I can't think of a method to look up a Chinese character starting with an image file)

Here we go:

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Can someone identify these chinese characters?

Post by qwed117 » 29 Jul 2015 23:40

Serena wrote:I tried my best, but I am not a pro with photoshop. I would not be surprised if at least one or two strokes were wrong. I still hope that someone can identify them.

(Yes. apparently, I can't think of a method to look up a Chinese character starting with an image file)

Here we go:
google translate has a chinese character function. Idk chinese, so I can't help you though.
Edit: Wu wei, there's no translation
Last edited by qwed117 on 29 Jul 2015 23:55, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 29 Jul 2015 23:50

These are the closest equivalents I could find: 武葳. I'm going to look them up in a moment and edit a definition in.
Edit: The first, 武 wǔ in Mandarin can mean military or warlike, and can also be used as a surname. The second one, 葳 wēi (assuming that is right) can mean luxuriant or flourishing and is used to describe plants. Not sure what they'd mean together. What's the context in which you found them?

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 30 Jul 2015 01:08

Thrice Xandvii wrote:These are the closest equivalents I could find: 武葳. I'm going to look them up in a moment and edit a definition in.
Edit: The first, 武 wǔ in Mandarin can mean military or warlike, and can also be used as a surname. The second one, 葳 wēi (assuming that is right) can mean luxuriant or flourishing and is used to describe plants. Not sure what they'd mean together. What's the context in which you found them?
I was wondering that. Most of the time when I hear someone say "wu wei" they mean "無爲", but obviously that's completely different in terms characters, tone and meaning. Context would be useful, I agree [:)]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » 30 Jul 2015 09:15

It's Japanese. 武蔵 is Musashi. It can be either the old Japanese province that existed where Tokyo and Saitama are today, or a given name, most famously Miyamoto Musashi (宮本武蔵).

Serena
sinic
sinic

Post by Serena » 30 Jul 2015 11:00

clawgrip wrote:It's Japanese. 武蔵 is Musashi. It can be either the old Japanese province that existed where Tokyo and Saitama are today, or a given name, most famously Miyamoto Musashi (宮本武蔵).
Hit!

(Oh my God, I never thought it could be so easy)