False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
GrandPiano
runic
runic

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by GrandPiano » 01 Apr 2016 15:34

Znex wrote:
GrandPiano wrote:I don't think this one's been mentioned yet:

:fra: poisson "fish" - :eng: poison
:eng: gift - :deu: Gift "poison"

I feel like this one's prolly been done already though.
That one has been pointed out.
:eng: - Native
:chn: - B2
:esp: - A2
:jpn: - A2

GrandPiano
runic
runic

Post by GrandPiano » 02 Apr 2016 03:47

:nld: sap "juice" - :eng: sap

Vlürch
sinic
sinic

Post by Vlürch » 04 Apr 2016 19:52

alynnidalar wrote:
GrandPiano wrote:
Thrice Xandvii wrote:
GrandPiano wrote: :eng: ask and :eng: ass

It seems to be pretty common to pronounce "asked" as "assed", but people rarely notice because of how common it is.
If you say so. But I don't think I've heard it said that way. "Aks," though? Yep.
The reason I thought of that pair is because I noticed myself doing it today. In informal speech, if you're not careful, it's not that hard to let /skt/ become /st/ (another option, of course, is metathesize it to /kst/, but I'm fairly certain that never happens in my idiolect).
I go a step further and elide the /t/ in a lot of cases, I think, which results in the two pronunciations being exactly the same for me!
I don't really speak English much, but the pronunciation that comes most naturally to me is something like /æskɘ̆d/... so if I say something like "you shouldn't have asked me if I'm a unicorn if you didn't want to make me horny because you knew I'd start shooting rainbows all over the place and jumping around like an idiot", at least right now it came out more or less like /jʉː ʃudĕ̥nt hæʋ æskɘ̆d miː if ɑi̯m ə jʉnikoːɾn if jʉː didɘ̆nt ʋɑnt tə mei̯jk miː horni bikɵs jʉː ɲyː ɑi̯d stɑːɾt ʃuːtiŋ rei̯jnbou̯s ɔːɫ ou̯ʋer dɪ plei̯s ænd d͡ʒɑmpɘ̥̆ŋ ɒɾɑu̯nd lɑi̯k øn idijɵt/... but well, at least I don't sound American, so it's fine. :P

clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » 05 Apr 2016 02:38

I think it's pretty normal for the /k/ to be absorbed into the /t/ (i.e. elided) in quick speech. That's the way I say it probably most of the time.

GrandPiano
runic
runic

Post by GrandPiano » 05 Apr 2016 22:19

Khitan suni "night" - English sun

GrandPiano
runic
runic

Post by GrandPiano » 06 Apr 2016 03:42

Lingala yo "you" - Spanish yo "I"

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 08 Apr 2016 20:57

:eng: cancer ~ :nld: kanker
While the two technically have the same etymology ( :ell: karkinos), their secondary defintion is whats... cancerous... They do technically have the same usage in oncology (like "anus" in biology)

"Cancer" has developed a meaning in English that's roughly equivalent to "toxic" through the use of cancerous to mean malignant (causing negative effects) and viral (as in fast spreading).

"Kanker" in Dutch is a strong curse word. Do not use. If you really want, look it up in wiktionary, I'm not giving it here. Because of how the connotation differs greatly from english, I find it reasonable to believe the original word referred to what we call a "canker"; syphilis. They independantly developed a curse meaning, but one's on the "gosh" level, leading to my "unfortunate coincidence" moment
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 08 Apr 2016 23:32

...so, why aren't you just telling us what it means? This forum is dedicated to language, I don't see any reason not to use a word if it furthers understanding, even if it is offensive. As long as you aren't being abusive toward a member, I don't understand the problem.

According to Wiktionary its in the "motherfucker" range of invective. Is that accurate?

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 09 Apr 2016 03:29

Thrice Xandvii wrote:...so, why aren't you just telling us what it means? This forum is dedicated to language, I don't see any reason not to use a word if it furthers understanding, even if it is offensive. As long as you aren't being abusive toward a member, I don't understand the problem.

According to Wiktionary its in the "motherfucker" range of invective. Is that accurate?
I had my "Unfortunate coincidence" moment, and its about there. I dunno, I'm just more uncomfortable talking about it. I mean, I did say "f-level" in my original, but I felt that was too euphemistic
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

GrandPiano
runic
runic

Post by GrandPiano » 09 Apr 2016 17:55

:hun: eleven "alive, lively" - :eng: eleven

G64
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by G64 » 15 Apr 2016 16:34

qwed117 wrote::eng: cancer ~ :nld: kanker
While the two technically have the same etymology ( :ell: karkinos), their secondary defintion is whats... cancerous... They do technically have the same usage in oncology (like "anus" in biology)

"Cancer" has developed a meaning in English that's roughly equivalent to "toxic" through the use of cancerous to mean malignant (causing negative effects) and viral (as in fast spreading).

"Kanker" in Dutch is a strong curse word. Do not use. If you really want, look it up in wiktionary, I'm not giving it here. Because of how the connotation differs greatly from english, I find it reasonable to believe the original word referred to what we call a "canker"; syphilis. They independantly developed a curse meaning, but one's on the "gosh" level, leading to my "unfortunate coincidence" moment
Also Italian has that, just it would be only used in specific contexts; it is sometimes used as an insult towards God (yep, blasphemies are rather common in Italian. What a lovely language...), or in phrases like :!: "sei il cancro di..." ("you're the cancer of... [group of people]"). Don't use that, it can be offensive
Native: :ita: | Intermediate: :eng: | Basic: :lat: :esp:
Studied: :qya: (+all of the above)
Willing to study: :grc: :jpn: :heb: :rus:

(Linguistic noob, fear not to correct me)

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » 25 Apr 2016 08:06

:jpn: 説く (toku) "explain, persuade" - :eng: talk
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

GrandPiano
runic
runic

Post by GrandPiano » 14 May 2016 22:06

Several East Asian languages have a word spelled or romanized something like <ai> and pronounced something like /ai/ that means "love", e.g. Mandarin 愛/爱 ài [aɪ̯˥˩], Japanese 愛 ai [ái], and Korean 애정 aejeong [ɛd͡ʑʌ̹ŋ] (Korean /ɛ/ was originally a diphthong /ai̯/).

However, in Hawaiian and Rapa Nui, "ai" means "to have sex with", and in Apalaí (an indigenous language of Brazil), it means "penis".

WeepingElf
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by WeepingElf » 17 May 2016 14:31

GrandPiano wrote:Several East Asian languages have a word spelled or romanized something like <ai> and pronounced something like /ai/ that means "love", e.g. Mandarin 愛/爱 ài [aɪ̯˥˩], Japanese 愛 ai [ái], and Korean 애정 aejeong [ɛd͡ʑʌ̹ŋ] (Korean /ɛ/ was originally a diphthong /ai̯/).
Japanese 愛 ai is a so-called onyomi, i.e. a Chinese loanword. There are lots of them in Japanese, even for rather basic concepts; most are only used in compounds. I guess the Korean one contains such a loanword, too.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

Znex
roman
roman

Post by Znex » 17 May 2016 17:59

可愛い kawaii however is not an onyomi (of 可愛 ke3'ai4), funnily enough. The Japanese word is actually derived from the classical 顔映し kawahayushi {to feel embarrassed}.
:eng: : [tick] | :grc: :wls: : [:|] | :chn: :isr: : [:S] | :nor: :deu: :rom: :ind: :con: : [:x]
Conlangs: Pofp'ash, Ikwawese, Old Quelgic, Nisukil Pʰakwi, Apsiska

opipik
runic
runic

Post by opipik » 17 May 2016 21:31

Mangseng them [ðɛm] 'we two'
English them

GrandPiano
runic
runic

Post by GrandPiano » 17 May 2016 22:20

WeepingElf wrote:
GrandPiano wrote:Several East Asian languages have a word spelled or romanized something like <ai> and pronounced something like /ai/ that means "love", e.g. Mandarin 愛/爱 ài [aɪ̯˥˩], Japanese 愛 ai [ái], and Korean 애정 aejeong [ɛd͡ʑʌ̹ŋ] (Korean /ɛ/ was originally a diphthong /ai̯/).
Japanese 愛 ai is a so-called onyomi, i.e. a Chinese loanword. There are lots of them in Japanese, even for rather basic concepts; most are only used in compounds. I guess the Korean one contains such a loanword, too.
I know. I didn't mean to imply that they weren't.

Sglod
sinic
sinic

Post by Sglod » 18 May 2016 21:40

:fra: chaque - each, every
:eng: shack - hut, derelict house

All4Ɇn