False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Post Reply
User avatar
GrandPiano
runic
runic
Posts: 2639
Joined: 11 Jan 2015 23:22
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by GrandPiano » 01 Apr 2016 15:34

Znex wrote:
GrandPiano wrote:I don't think this one's been mentioned yet:

:fra: poisson "fish" - :eng: poison
:eng: gift - :deu: Gift "poison"

I feel like this one's prolly been done already though.
That one has been pointed out.
:eng: - Native
:chn: - B2
:esp: - A2
:jpn: - A2

User avatar
GrandPiano
runic
runic
Posts: 2639
Joined: 11 Jan 2015 23:22
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by GrandPiano » 02 Apr 2016 03:47

:nld: sap "juice" - :eng: sap
:eng: - Native
:chn: - B2
:esp: - A2
:jpn: - A2

User avatar
Vlürch
sinic
sinic
Posts: 333
Joined: 09 Mar 2016 21:19
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by Vlürch » 04 Apr 2016 19:52

alynnidalar wrote:
GrandPiano wrote:
Thrice Xandvii wrote:
GrandPiano wrote: :eng: ask and :eng: ass

It seems to be pretty common to pronounce "asked" as "assed", but people rarely notice because of how common it is.
If you say so. But I don't think I've heard it said that way. "Aks," though? Yep.
The reason I thought of that pair is because I noticed myself doing it today. In informal speech, if you're not careful, it's not that hard to let /skt/ become /st/ (another option, of course, is metathesize it to /kst/, but I'm fairly certain that never happens in my idiolect).
I go a step further and elide the /t/ in a lot of cases, I think, which results in the two pronunciations being exactly the same for me!
I don't really speak English much, but the pronunciation that comes most naturally to me is something like /æskɘ̆d/... so if I say something like "you shouldn't have asked me if I'm a unicorn if you didn't want to make me horny because you knew I'd start shooting rainbows all over the place and jumping around like an idiot", at least right now it came out more or less like /jʉː ʃudĕ̥nt hæʋ æskɘ̆d miː if ɑi̯m ə jʉnikoːɾn if jʉː didɘ̆nt ʋɑnt tə mei̯jk miː horni bikɵs jʉː ɲyː ɑi̯d stɑːɾt ʃuːtiŋ rei̯jnbou̯s ɔːɫ ou̯ʋer dɪ plei̯s ænd d͡ʒɑmpɘ̥̆ŋ ɒɾɑu̯nd lɑi̯k øn idijɵt/... but well, at least I don't sound American, so it's fine. :P

clawgrip
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2388
Joined: 24 Jun 2012 07:33
Location: Tokyo

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by clawgrip » 05 Apr 2016 02:38

I think it's pretty normal for the /k/ to be absorbed into the /t/ (i.e. elided) in quick speech. That's the way I say it probably most of the time.

User avatar
GrandPiano
runic
runic
Posts: 2639
Joined: 11 Jan 2015 23:22
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by GrandPiano » 05 Apr 2016 22:19

Khitan suni "night" - English sun
:eng: - Native
:chn: - B2
:esp: - A2
:jpn: - A2

User avatar
GrandPiano
runic
runic
Posts: 2639
Joined: 11 Jan 2015 23:22
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by GrandPiano » 06 Apr 2016 03:42

Lingala yo "you" - Spanish yo "I"
:eng: - Native
:chn: - B2
:esp: - A2
:jpn: - A2

User avatar
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4527
Joined: 20 Nov 2014 02:27

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by qwed117 » 08 Apr 2016 20:57

:eng: cancer ~ :nld: kanker
While the two technically have the same etymology ( :ell: karkinos), their secondary defintion is whats... cancerous... They do technically have the same usage in oncology (like "anus" in biology)

"Cancer" has developed a meaning in English that's roughly equivalent to "toxic" through the use of cancerous to mean malignant (causing negative effects) and viral (as in fast spreading).

"Kanker" in Dutch is a strong curse word. Do not use. If you really want, look it up in wiktionary, I'm not giving it here. Because of how the connotation differs greatly from english, I find it reasonable to believe the original word referred to what we call a "canker"; syphilis. They independantly developed a curse meaning, but one's on the "gosh" level, leading to my "unfortunate coincidence" moment
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

User avatar
Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 3722
Joined: 25 Nov 2012 10:13
Location: Carnassus

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 08 Apr 2016 23:32

...so, why aren't you just telling us what it means? This forum is dedicated to language, I don't see any reason not to use a word if it furthers understanding, even if it is offensive. As long as you aren't being abusive toward a member, I don't understand the problem.

According to Wiktionary its in the "motherfucker" range of invective. Is that accurate?
Image

User avatar
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4527
Joined: 20 Nov 2014 02:27

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by qwed117 » 09 Apr 2016 03:29

Thrice Xandvii wrote:...so, why aren't you just telling us what it means? This forum is dedicated to language, I don't see any reason not to use a word if it furthers understanding, even if it is offensive. As long as you aren't being abusive toward a member, I don't understand the problem.

According to Wiktionary its in the "motherfucker" range of invective. Is that accurate?
I had my "Unfortunate coincidence" moment, and its about there. I dunno, I'm just more uncomfortable talking about it. I mean, I did say "f-level" in my original, but I felt that was too euphemistic
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

User avatar
GrandPiano
runic
runic
Posts: 2639
Joined: 11 Jan 2015 23:22
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by GrandPiano » 09 Apr 2016 17:55

:hun: eleven "alive, lively" - :eng: eleven
:eng: - Native
:chn: - B2
:esp: - A2
:jpn: - A2

G64
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 42
Joined: 19 Jan 2016 23:36
Location: Italy

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by G64 » 15 Apr 2016 16:34

qwed117 wrote::eng: cancer ~ :nld: kanker
While the two technically have the same etymology ( :ell: karkinos), their secondary defintion is whats... cancerous... They do technically have the same usage in oncology (like "anus" in biology)

"Cancer" has developed a meaning in English that's roughly equivalent to "toxic" through the use of cancerous to mean malignant (causing negative effects) and viral (as in fast spreading).

"Kanker" in Dutch is a strong curse word. Do not use. If you really want, look it up in wiktionary, I'm not giving it here. Because of how the connotation differs greatly from english, I find it reasonable to believe the original word referred to what we call a "canker"; syphilis. They independantly developed a curse meaning, but one's on the "gosh" level, leading to my "unfortunate coincidence" moment
Also Italian has that, just it would be only used in specific contexts; it is sometimes used as an insult towards God (yep, blasphemies are rather common in Italian. What a lovely language...), or in phrases like :!: "sei il cancro di..." ("you're the cancer of... [group of people]"). Don't use that, it can be offensive
Native: :ita: | Intermediate: :eng: | Basic: :lat: :esp:
Studied: :qya: (+all of the above)
Willing to study: :grc: :jpn: :heb: :rus:

(Linguistic noob, fear not to correct me)

User avatar
Lao Kou
korean
korean
Posts: 5665
Joined: 25 Nov 2012 10:39
Location: 蘇州/苏州

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by Lao Kou » 25 Apr 2016 08:06

:jpn: 説く (toku) "explain, persuade" - :eng: talk
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

User avatar
GrandPiano
runic
runic
Posts: 2639
Joined: 11 Jan 2015 23:22
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by GrandPiano » 14 May 2016 22:06

Several East Asian languages have a word spelled or romanized something like <ai> and pronounced something like /ai/ that means "love", e.g. Mandarin 愛/爱 ài [aɪ̯˥˩], Japanese 愛 ai [ái], and Korean 애정 aejeong [ɛd͡ʑʌ̹ŋ] (Korean /ɛ/ was originally a diphthong /ai̯/).

However, in Hawaiian and Rapa Nui, "ai" means "to have sex with", and in Apalaí (an indigenous language of Brazil), it means "penis".
:eng: - Native
:chn: - B2
:esp: - A2
:jpn: - A2

User avatar
WeepingElf
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 199
Joined: 23 Feb 2016 18:42
Location: Braunschweig, Germany
Contact:

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by WeepingElf » 17 May 2016 14:31

GrandPiano wrote:Several East Asian languages have a word spelled or romanized something like <ai> and pronounced something like /ai/ that means "love", e.g. Mandarin 愛/爱 ài [aɪ̯˥˩], Japanese 愛 ai [ái], and Korean 애정 aejeong [ɛd͡ʑʌ̹ŋ] (Korean /ɛ/ was originally a diphthong /ai̯/).
Japanese 愛 ai is a so-called onyomi, i.e. a Chinese loanword. There are lots of them in Japanese, even for rather basic concepts; most are only used in compounds. I guess the Korean one contains such a loanword, too.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

User avatar
Znex
roman
roman
Posts: 1156
Joined: 12 Aug 2013 14:05
Location: Australia

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by Znex » 17 May 2016 17:59

可愛い kawaii however is not an onyomi (of 可愛 ke3'ai4), funnily enough. The Japanese word is actually derived from the classical 顔映し kawahayushi {to feel embarrassed}.
:eng: : [tick] | :grc: :wls: : [:|] | :chn: :isr: : [:S] | :nor: :deu: :rom: :ind: :con: : [:x]
Conlangs: Pofp'ash, Ikwawese, Old Quelgic, Nisukil Pʰakwi, Apsiska

opipik
runic
runic
Posts: 2784
Joined: 12 Mar 2015 19:41

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by opipik » 17 May 2016 21:31

Mangseng them [ðɛm] 'we two'
English them

User avatar
GrandPiano
runic
runic
Posts: 2639
Joined: 11 Jan 2015 23:22
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by GrandPiano » 17 May 2016 22:20

WeepingElf wrote:
GrandPiano wrote:Several East Asian languages have a word spelled or romanized something like <ai> and pronounced something like /ai/ that means "love", e.g. Mandarin 愛/爱 ài [aɪ̯˥˩], Japanese 愛 ai [ái], and Korean 애정 aejeong [ɛd͡ʑʌ̹ŋ] (Korean /ɛ/ was originally a diphthong /ai̯/).
Japanese 愛 ai is a so-called onyomi, i.e. a Chinese loanword. There are lots of them in Japanese, even for rather basic concepts; most are only used in compounds. I guess the Korean one contains such a loanword, too.
I know. I didn't mean to imply that they weren't.
:eng: - Native
:chn: - B2
:esp: - A2
:jpn: - A2

User avatar
Sglod
sinic
sinic
Posts: 227
Joined: 22 Dec 2015 11:06
Location: +44

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by Sglod » 18 May 2016 21:40

:fra: chaque - each, every
:eng: shack - hut, derelict house

User avatar
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1833
Joined: 01 Mar 2014 07:19

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by All4Ɇn » 19 May 2016 13:51

:esp: :por: :ita: Con- With
:fra: Con- Cunt

User avatar
GrandPiano
runic
runic
Posts: 2639
Joined: 11 Jan 2015 23:22
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by GrandPiano » 19 May 2016 23:44

Mandarin 三 sān "three" - Somali shan "five"
:eng: - Native
:chn: - B2
:esp: - A2
:jpn: - A2

Post Reply