Who are you? "I am me"

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
k1234567890y
runic
runic

Re: Who are you? "I am me"

Post by k1234567890y » 24 Sep 2015 22:17

:con: Lonmai Luna:

1. Who are you?
kat maken?
/kat makén/
2.SG who?(interlinear)

2. I am me
se kol se
/se kól se/
1.SG be.equal.to 1.SG(interlinear)

:con: Urban Basanawa:
1. Who are you?
誰い汝びすと?
/wi: dʊ bɪst/
誰い 汝 びすと?(spaced)
wee du bist?(romanization)
who 2.SG.NOM be.2.SG.PRES(interlinear)

2. I am me
吾びん我(colloquial)
/ɪk bɪn mɪ/
吾 びん 我(spaced)
ik bin mi(romanization)
1.SG.NOM be.1.SG.PRES 1.SG.ACC(interlinear)

吾びん吾(formal)
/ɪk bɪn ɪk/
吾 びん 吾(spaced)
ik bin ik(romanization)
1.SG.NOM be.1.SG.PRES 1.SG.NOM(interlinear)

HoskhMatriarch
mayan
mayan

Post by HoskhMatriarch » 25 Sep 2015 00:35

druneragarsh wrote:
Aleks wrote::eng: English
1. Who are you?
2. I am me

:con: Des Xeli
1. Kuale saunt xicu
2. Sa saunt dă

[kwale saʊnt skitsu]
[sa saʊnt də]
May we have glosses? [:D]
Well, all those words are in the PDF, but yes, it still needs glosses. It looks like an English relex to me though. I mean, it even differentiates the words used for possessive pronouns and determiners where English differentiates them, but doesn't differentiate them where English doesn't (that is, my and mine are different, but his and his aren't), and that's added to the fact that not all languages have possessive determiners or (I'm pretty sure) pronouns. Also, the singular animate word for "the" is really "das", but then, languages have false cognates like that all the time so that's probably fine.
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light

Aleks
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Aleks » 26 Sep 2015 02:43

HoskhMatriarch wrote:
druneragarsh wrote:
Aleks wrote::eng: English
1. Who are you?
2. I am me

1. Kuale saunt xicu
2. Sa saunt dă

[kwale saʊnt skitsu]
[sa saʊnt də]
May we have glosses? [:D]
Well, all those words are in the PDF, but yes, it still needs glosses. It looks like an English relex to me though. I mean, it even differentiates the words used for possessive pronouns and determiners where English differentiates them, but doesn't differentiate them where English doesn't (that is, my and mine are different, but his and his aren't), and that's added to the fact that not all languages have possessive determiners or (I'm pretty sure) pronouns. Also, the singular animate word for "the" is really "das", but then, languages have false cognates like that all the time so that's probably fine.
I like the English word order because it gets the thought across and it's simple to write a thought. You want to say "I live at that house" and it conveys the thought perfectly. I'm just not a fan of what it's called to add articles to the end of words. For me I want the literal translation to have the thought exactly as the person thought. Not jumbled up or where you have to memorize so much stuff to just speak your mind. English is lovely because as I said it's simple with saying something.

I don't know what an English reflex is but it's not a cipher or anything like that. It's just a conlang that is in the works and is always changing. For glosses I have no idea what that is as I am newbie to conlanging and trying to get better. This conlang is a serious attempt at trying to make one. If you mean the origin of the words I take influence from Czech and Romanian.

New versions
:eng: English
1. Who are you?
2. I am me

1. Kuale sunt xicu / Quale sunt xicu
2. Sa sunt dă

[kwale sunt skitsu]
[sa sunt də]

I am contemplating changing kua to qua and the pronounciation be similar to Spanish so qua will be /ka/.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 26 Sep 2015 05:50

Aleks wrote:I don't know what an English reflex is but it's not a cipher or anything like that. It's just a conlang that is in the works and is always changing. For glosses I have no idea what that is as I am newbie to conlanging and trying to get better. This conlang is a serious attempt at trying to make one. If you mean the origin of the words I take influence from Czech and Romanian.
Relex -- http://conlang.wikia.com/wiki/Relex. Clearly, you've put some thought into the whys and wherefores of making Des Xeli the way it is, so I think it may not actually count as a relex in the classical sense. Perhaps a conlang with an "astonishing level of parallel development" with English! :mrgreen:

There is often justification for the criticism. Let's face it, it's really not terribly creative to just make up new words and insert them IN EXACTLY THE SAME PLACES as English words. Even right down to the idioms and turns of phrase that almost certainly will not exist in the world you seem to be revealing where your conlang is spoken. It is also the case that very many beginning conlangers make just this kind of conlang as their first attempt. It is also often the case that the beginning conlanger doesn't even realise she's doing it, or is not entirely cognizant that there are other ways of doing things. So we copy our native language.

I would suggest to you, Aleks, that while relexing is a forgivable sin committed by new conlangers, this kind of conlanging will probably not satisfy you for very long. Already I can see cracks in the edifice: you've already got animacy marking of some kind. This is not a feature of English, so you're already moving away from a pure English relex. Eventually I think if you stick with Des Xeli for long enough, it will become less and less like English, even if you end up keeping some basic aspects of English, like the basic SVO word order that you like so well.

We'll see!

Let's see:

:eng: English
1. Who are you?
2. I am me.

:con: Queranarran
1. atèh 'nuwam : seo-wanca tanany rû?
/ätehnʉwäm sjowäŋkä tänäny ru/

PRON.1.S.M UNCERTAINTY.EVIDENTIAL : who.INTERROG.PRON.M-who.INTERROG.PRON.F person.PERS.CL thou.PERS.PRON.2.S.EP

me uncertain : who-who person you?

2. eiyem : atíh!
/ejɜm ätih/

CERT.EVID : PERS.PRON.S.F

I know that! -- me!

Sometimes it can be hard to tell...so you have to ask!

Another possible:

2a. eiyem : atèhnimuy!
/ejɜm ätehnimʉj/

CERT.EVID : PERS.PRON.1S.M.F.F

I know that! -- me!

The second respondent is most likely a boy who walks both ways. Definitely not a matter of gender confusion -- it is perfectly normal to construct just the right pronoun to express who you are. The above could be contrasted for example with atíhnicuy (1S.F.M.F) or atíhnicól (1S.F.M.M).
Last edited by elemtilas on 22 May 2016 02:42, edited 1 time in total.

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

GrandPiano
runic
runic

Post by GrandPiano » 30 Sep 2015 15:12

Aleks wrote:I like the English word order because it gets the thought across and it's simple to write a thought. You want to say "I live at that house" and it conveys the thought perfectly. I'm just not a fan of what it's called to add articles to the end of words.
You can have a different word order from English and still express things just as concisely or more concisely. For example, take the sentence "I work at a hospital". The Mandarin* equivalent of this sentence would be "我在医院工作。" A word-for-word translation of that would be "I at hospital work". Not only is this in a different word order than English, but it's actually more concise, omitting the unnecessary "a".

*The so-called "Chinese language" is actually a family of mutually unintelligible languages spoken in China, Mandarin being the most well-known and widely-spoken one.
Aleks wrote:I am contemplating changing kua to qua and the pronounciation be similar to Spanish so qua will be /ka/.
/ka/ would be written <ca> in Spanish. <qu> is used before <e> and <i> because <c> represents /θ/ or /s/ (depending on the dialect) in those positions. Of course, you could do what Italian and English do and have <qu> represent /kw/. Is there a reason you want to use <qu> instead of <c> or <k>?
Last edited by GrandPiano on 01 Nov 2015 03:48, edited 1 time in total.
:eng: - Native
:chn: - B2
:esp: - A2
:jpn: - A2

Threr
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Threr » 17 Oct 2015 20:05

:con: Deyryck

Who are you?
Kaz'm an
who INTERR

I am me.
Yo ya
myself i-be/DECLAR

Jonnyboi17
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Jonnyboi17 » 03 Dec 2015 02:32

Daipnaum (Daipanese)
Who are you?
Aska sam
Aska sam
Who COP;2SG
I am me
Sek apan
Sek apa-n
COP;1SG I-OBJ
Hanerawi dulekiay
“People of Heaven”

Chagen
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Chagen » 05 Dec 2015 01:58

Aleks wrote:
I like the English word order because it gets the thought across and it's simple to write a thought. You want to say "I live at that house" and it conveys the thought perfectly. I'm just not a fan of what it's called to add articles to the end of words. For me I want the literal translation to have the thought exactly as the person thought. Not jumbled up or where you have to memorize so much stuff to just speak your mind. English is lovely because as I said it's simple with saying something.
I could just as easily say that English requires way too many words to say a thought. "I wrote the book during the war for my brother, without paper" is 12 words in English! In my conlang Pazmat it is but 5: vēgirūṣ radīsāyīm badhrāva, māntrāsit, śirgṛvyī. There's a beauty to being able to express thoughts in such fewer words. Then again I think declensional tables are mesmerizing so I'm weird I guess.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S

HoskhMatriarch
mayan
mayan

Post by HoskhMatriarch » 05 Dec 2015 08:39

Chagen wrote:
Aleks wrote:
I could just as easily say that English requires way too many words to say a thought. "I wrote the book during the war for my brother, without paper" is 12 words in English! In my conlang Pazmat it is but 5: vēgirūṣ radīsāyīm badhrāva, māntrāsit, śirgṛvyī. There's a beauty to being able to express thoughts in such fewer words. Then again I think declensional tables are mesmerizing so I'm weird I guess.
You like languages with few words?

Sarnsaikgazjnittŋ̇pfararlailochsjärthzüzṛn.
sarn-s-aik-ga-zjnitt-ŋ̇-pfa-rar-lai-l-och-sjär-th-zün-zṛn
guilty-ADV-out-ALL.APPL-dog-DIM-go-RFX-sing-PFV-PST-HSY-3S.MASC.AGT-3S.MASC.PAT-3S.FEM.IO
"It is said he guiltily went out after the puppy singing for her."

I don't think "fewer words = better" though. I think it's just a nice change after speaking more analytic languages (of course, pretty much everything is more analytic than what I posted, which is a 15-morpheme sentence-word).

hoeroathlo
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by hoeroathlo » 09 Dec 2015 02:24

:con: Kehntra

sihl kemos
[sajl kɛmɑs]
Who are you

velohv
[vɛlov]
I am me

Ranquil
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Ranquil » 15 Dec 2015 13:35

:con: Sumu

Sörigä ken olu?
2s_subj WHO BE_non-past

(Koriga) kori olu.
( 1s_subj ) 1s BE_non-past

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Who are you? "I am I"

Post by qwed117 » 25 Dec 2015 04:53

While I know I shouldn't comment on this, the raw English phrase is unnatural. It should be "I am myself".
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 25 Dec 2015 05:08

I don't agree. The two sentences sound equally natural to me. (I do take issue with the "I am I" in your post title, though. [:P] )

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 25 Dec 2015 05:09

Dormouse559 wrote:I don't agree. The two sentences sound equally natural to me. (I do take issue with the "I am I" in your post title, though. [:P] )
That's because I originally quoted an older comment.
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing » 26 Dec 2015 14:52

:con: Nizhmel

Zö ishta zëul?
zö ish=ta zë=ul
2s who=ESS be=NONFIRSTH

C'e c'eta zëi.
c'e c'e=ta zë=i
1s 1s=ESS be=FIRSTH

HoskhMatriarch
mayan
mayan

Post by HoskhMatriarch » 26 Dec 2015 20:06

Dormouse559 wrote:I don't agree. The two sentences sound equally natural to me. (I do take issue with the "I am I" in your post title, though. [:P] )
Yeah. No one says "I am I". At least with "It is I" you can exclaim it to your enemies while dramatically drawing a sword from your belt, but "I am I" is just weird.

Sglod
sinic
sinic

Post by Sglod » 26 Dec 2015 22:50

Old Rolanian:

Stonajar su jok?
/ˈʃtɔnajar ʃʉ jɔk/
Sto.naj.ar su jok?
person.what.ABS 2s.ERG INT

Dar du!
/ˈdar dʉ/
1s.ABS 1s.ERG

Modern Rolanian:

Stonäja su jo?
/ˈɕtɕɑ̃eʑæ ˈɕːɑ/
Sto.näj.a su jo?
person.what.ABS 2s.ERG INT

Ta tu!
/'tætø/
1s.ABS 1s.ERG

Sglod
sinic
sinic

Post by Sglod » 27 Dec 2015 09:20

Double post!

:cym: Welsh:

Pwy wyt ti? / Pwy ydych chi?
who be-2s-INT 2s / who be-2s.FORM-INT 2s

Fi ydw i
1s-ACC be-1s 1s-NOM

/pʊ̯ɨ ʊɨ̯t ti/ /pʊ̯ɨ ˈədɨx xi/
/vi əˈdʊ̯i/

jute
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by jute » 15 Jan 2016 19:46

Jutean;

No na, haasin?
Be 2S, who?

No tata.
Be myself
Jutean: Hawaiian phonology meets Tagalog, with English ergativity and Mandarin tenselessness added.
Also on CWS.
Information on Juteans and their homeland

AndrewTheConlanger
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by AndrewTheConlanger » 17 Jan 2016 07:04

Elus du?
2s.be.PRS-PFV-ACT-IND who.NOM

Aulus au.
1s.be.PRS-PFV-ACT-IND 1s.NOM