Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
User avatar
spanick
greek
greek
Posts: 807
Joined: 11 May 2017 00:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 12 Jul 2018 23:05

Creyeditor wrote:
12 Jul 2018 23:02
spanick wrote:
12 Jul 2018 22:32
Creyeditor wrote:
12 Jul 2018 22:29
Does it descend from a rounded vowel?
Yes
Does it descend from PG short or long *o?
No.

shimobaatar
darkness
darkness
Posts: 10933
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 22:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar » 12 Jul 2018 23:31

spanick wrote:
12 Jul 2018 22:49
shimobaatar wrote:
12 Jul 2018 22:47
Is the second /d/ in the word also derived from Proto-Germanic *d?
No.

See:
spanick wrote:
12 Jul 2018 21:20
Creyeditor wrote:
12 Jul 2018 21:07
Is the /d͡ʒ/ originally from a velar?
Yes
Oh, I wasn't counting that one because it was part of an affricate. I guess I meant the third /d/, then. I was asking about this one: /dod͡ʒads/ (emphasis mine).

User avatar
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4494
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 18:32

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Creyeditor » 13 Jul 2018 00:20

spanick wrote:
12 Jul 2018 23:05
Creyeditor wrote:
12 Jul 2018 23:02
spanick wrote:
12 Jul 2018 22:32
Creyeditor wrote:
12 Jul 2018 22:29
Does it descend from a rounded vowel?
Yes
Does it descend from PG short or long *o?
No.
from PG short or long *u?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]

User avatar
spanick
greek
greek
Posts: 807
Joined: 11 May 2017 00:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 13 Jul 2018 00:35

shimobaatar wrote:
12 Jul 2018 23:31
Oh, I wasn't counting that one because it was part of an affricate. I guess I meant the third /d/, then. I was asking about this one: /dod͡ʒads/ (emphasis mine).
Ah, gotcha. Sorry for misunderstanding. In that case, yes.

User avatar
spanick
greek
greek
Posts: 807
Joined: 11 May 2017 00:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 13 Jul 2018 00:42

Creyeditor wrote:
13 Jul 2018 00:20
from PG short or long *u?
Short *u

shimobaatar
darkness
darkness
Posts: 10933
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 22:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar » 13 Jul 2018 01:37

spanick wrote:
13 Jul 2018 00:35
shimobaatar wrote:
12 Jul 2018 23:31
Oh, I wasn't counting that one because it was part of an affricate. I guess I meant the third /d/, then. I was asking about this one: /dod͡ʒads/ (emphasis mine).
Ah, gotcha. Sorry for misunderstanding. In that case, yes.
No worries, I totally see where you were coming from.

Anyway, was the *i that caused the palatalization part of the root?

User avatar
spanick
greek
greek
Posts: 807
Joined: 11 May 2017 00:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 13 Jul 2018 01:50

shimobaatar wrote:
13 Jul 2018 01:37
Anyway, was the *i that caused the palatalization part of the root?
Yes

shimobaatar
darkness
darkness
Posts: 10933
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 22:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar » 13 Jul 2018 03:32

spanick wrote:
13 Jul 2018 01:50
shimobaatar wrote:
13 Jul 2018 01:37
Anyway, was the *i that caused the palatalization part of the root?
Yes
Was the /a/ an *a in the derivational suffix in Proto-Germanic?

User avatar
spanick
greek
greek
Posts: 807
Joined: 11 May 2017 00:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 13 Jul 2018 03:35

shimobaatar wrote:
13 Jul 2018 03:32
spanick wrote:
13 Jul 2018 01:50
shimobaatar wrote:
13 Jul 2018 01:37
Anyway, was the *i that caused the palatalization part of the root?
Yes
Was the /a/ an *a in the derivational suffix in Proto-Germanic?
Yes

shimobaatar
darkness
darkness
Posts: 10933
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 22:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar » 13 Jul 2018 12:09

Was the derivational suffix two syllables?

User avatar
spanick
greek
greek
Posts: 807
Joined: 11 May 2017 00:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 13 Jul 2018 13:36

shimobaatar wrote:
13 Jul 2018 12:09
Was the derivational suffix two syllables?
No.

Also, upon checking the wiktionary list, it appears they consider the suffix to not have the *a as part of it. Personally, i disagree with that assessment but on wiktionary it is listed without a thematic vowel.

User avatar
spanick
greek
greek
Posts: 807
Joined: 11 May 2017 00:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 13 Jul 2018 19:42

In the way of a hint, here is the same word in Old Sortsbergish:

дѫꙉꙛдс
/dõdʒãds/

User avatar
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4494
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 18:32

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Creyeditor » 13 Jul 2018 21:01

Is the derivational suffix related to the German present participle ending?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]

User avatar
spanick
greek
greek
Posts: 807
Joined: 11 May 2017 00:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 13 Jul 2018 21:07

Creyeditor wrote:
13 Jul 2018 21:01
Is the derivational suffix related to the German present participle ending?
Yes.

User avatar
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4494
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 18:32

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Creyeditor » 13 Jul 2018 21:11

So this means the proto-word was *dungandz? And it means something like 'fertilizer'?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]

User avatar
spanick
greek
greek
Posts: 807
Joined: 11 May 2017 00:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 13 Jul 2018 21:15

Creyeditor wrote:
13 Jul 2018 21:11
So this means the proto-word was *dungandz? And it means something like 'fertilizer'?
Bingo!

User avatar
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4494
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 18:32

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Creyeditor » 13 Jul 2018 21:23

Could you give some information about the diachronic development? I am curious.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]

User avatar
spanick
greek
greek
Posts: 807
Joined: 11 May 2017 00:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 13 Jul 2018 21:38

Creyeditor wrote:
13 Jul 2018 21:23
Could you give some information about the diachronic development? I am curious.
Sure

*dungijandz
1) ij > i *dungiandz
2) z > s *dungiands
3) V > [+nas] / _C; [+nas] > [-hi]; N > Ø / V_C *dõgiãds
4) gi > dʒ Old Sortsbergish /dõdʒãds/
5) V > [-nas] Sortsbergish /dodʒads/
Last edited by spanick on 13 Jul 2018 22:26, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4494
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 18:32

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Creyeditor » 13 Jul 2018 22:11

Wow, thanks. I really like that. Every single step makes sense, but the result is surprising.

Next one:
In Gniebeggas:
<iggerens>
/igːərənʃ/
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]

User avatar
spanick
greek
greek
Posts: 807
Joined: 11 May 2017 00:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 13 Jul 2018 22:54

Creyeditor wrote:
13 Jul 2018 22:11
Wow, thanks. I really like that. Every single step makes sense, but the result is surprising.
Thanks, I like to use Sortsbergish for that very reason.
Next one: a
In Gniebeggas:
<iggerens>
/igːərənʃ/
Is it a noun?

Post Reply