Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 11454
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar » 18 Mar 2019 19:15

Damn.

Is it either a pronoun, preposition, or conjunction? To be clear, I'm just looking for a yes or no answer; if yes, you don't have to say which one, of course.

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1003
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 18 Mar 2019 19:17

shimobaatar wrote:
18 Mar 2019 19:15
Damn.

Is it either a pronoun, preposition, or conjunction? To be clear, I'm just looking for a yes or no answer; if yes, you don't have to say which one, of course.
Yes, it's one of those three. I'll narrow it down a bit and say that it is used both as a conjunction (primarily) and preposition.

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 11454
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar » 18 Mar 2019 19:24

Is it descended from a single Proto-Germanic word?

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1003
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 18 Mar 2019 19:31

shimobaatar wrote:
18 Mar 2019 19:24
Is it descended from a single Proto-Germanic word?
No.

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 11454
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar » 18 Mar 2019 20:01

Two?

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1003
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 18 Mar 2019 20:14

shimobaatar wrote:
18 Mar 2019 20:01
Two?
Yes. And just to point you in the right direction, it's originally probably best thought of as a contraction rather than a compound. Also, remember this language descends directly from Old English.

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 11454
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar » 18 Mar 2019 21:26

Was this contraction used in Old English?

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1003
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 18 Mar 2019 21:42

shimobaatar wrote:
18 Mar 2019 21:26
Was this contraction used in Old English?
The phrase from whence it came was, but it was not a contraction at the time.

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 11454
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar » 18 Mar 2019 21:48

Is a descendant of the phrase still in use in English?

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1003
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 18 Mar 2019 22:42

shimobaatar wrote:
18 Mar 2019 21:48
Is a descendant of the phrase still in use in English?
No

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 11454
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar » 19 Mar 2019 13:38

Are descendants of both words still used in English, just not together in this phrase?

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1003
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 19 Mar 2019 14:01

shimobaatar wrote:
19 Mar 2019 13:38
Are descendants of both words still used in English, just not together in this phrase?
The second of the two is but not the first.

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 11454
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar » 19 Mar 2019 16:22

Does the descendant of the second word begin with <th-> in English?

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1003
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 19 Mar 2019 16:27

shimobaatar wrote:
19 Mar 2019 16:22
Does the descendant of the second word begin with <th-> in English?
yes

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 11454
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar » 19 Mar 2019 17:00

"that"?

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1003
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 19 Mar 2019 17:03

shimobaatar wrote:
19 Mar 2019 17:00
"that"?
Yes

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 11454
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar » 23 Mar 2019 01:49

Was the first word monosyllabic in Old English?

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1003
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 23 Mar 2019 02:06

shimobaatar wrote:
23 Mar 2019 01:49
Was the first word monosyllabic in Old English?
Yes

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 11454
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar » 25 Mar 2019 00:19

spanick wrote:
23 Mar 2019 02:06
shimobaatar wrote:
23 Mar 2019 01:49
Was the first word monosyllabic in Old English?
Yes
Was it vowel-initial?

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1003
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 25 Mar 2019 00:25

shimobaatar wrote:
25 Mar 2019 00:19
spanick wrote:
23 Mar 2019 02:06
shimobaatar wrote:
23 Mar 2019 01:49
Was the first word monosyllabic in Old English?
Yes
Was it vowel-initial?
Also, yes.

Post Reply