Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
User avatar
eldin raigmore
korean
korean
Posts: 6375
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 19:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by eldin raigmore » 25 Aug 2019 04:44

Stroke, as in cerebral ischemia?
If by chance I’m right, I can’t come up with the next one.

User avatar
Herra Ratatoskr
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 72
Joined: 28 Dec 2017 23:22

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Herra Ratatoskr » 25 Aug 2019 17:38

Nope, not stroke. I'd suggest focusing on the "bifje-" part. In Old English it meant "to shake" or "to tremble"; maybe try brainstorming off of ways that could have developed/narrow in meaning, and I can give a "hotter"/"colder" rating on them?

Voskhod_02
rupestrian
rupestrian
Posts: 4
Joined: 23 Aug 2019 16:50

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Voskhod_02 » 25 Aug 2019 18:37

Couldn't it be Parkinson's disease? It makes you shake, and will make you die in the end.

User avatar
Herra Ratatoskr
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 72
Joined: 28 Dec 2017 23:22

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Herra Ratatoskr » 25 Aug 2019 19:35

No, not Parkinson's. Here's a hint; while it is something that a person "feels", it's not so physical as a stroke, seizure, or condition. Also, -sleje has more of a sense of "hit/strike", sort of like it's German cognate "Schag". It's not something that will actually "slay" you; sorry if that was unclear.

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1026
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 25 Aug 2019 19:47

Maybe something like a panic attack?

User avatar
Herra Ratatoskr
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 72
Joined: 28 Dec 2017 23:22

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Herra Ratatoskr » 25 Aug 2019 20:01

I'll give it to you as close enough, since that was it's original meaning. Today, the technical term for a panic attack would be "paniksleje", with "bifjesleje" being more similar to "freakout" or "breakdown". The closest analog I could come up with in English for the "paniksleje" vs "bifjesleje" distinction in tone/connotation would be "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder" vs "Shell-shock".

The semantic narrowings/driftings of the two morphemes were:
bifje > "to shake/tremble" => "to shake/tremble (in fear)" => "to be afraid/upset in an incapacitating sense, to freeze up"
sleje > "strike/hit" => "attack" => "overwhelming onrush" (for instance a flash flood is "watersleje")

Ok Spanick, you're up

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1026
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 25 Aug 2019 21:42

Herra Ratatoskr wrote:
25 Aug 2019 20:01
I'll give it to you as close enough, since that was it's original meaning. Today, the technical term for a panic attack would be "paniksleje", with "bifjesleje" being more similar to "freakout" or "breakdown". The closest analog I could come up with in English for the "paniksleje" vs "bifjesleje" distinction in tone/connotation would be "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder" vs "Shell-shock".

The semantic narrowings/driftings of the two morphemes were:
bifje > "to shake/tremble" => "to shake/tremble (in fear)" => "to be afraid/upset in an incapacitating sense, to freeze up"
sleje > "strike/hit" => "attack" => "overwhelming onrush" (for instance a flash flood is "watersleje")

Ok Spanick, you're up
That’s a really great word!

***

Nortseaenglisch

sólfwórdleasnes
/zœlfvœɾdlɛːsnɛs/

User avatar
Herra Ratatoskr
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 72
Joined: 28 Dec 2017 23:22

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Herra Ratatoskr » 26 Aug 2019 00:51

Shot in the dark, but "mute" or unable to speak?

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1026
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 26 Aug 2019 00:59

Herra Ratatoskr wrote:
26 Aug 2019 00:51
Shot in the dark, but "mute" or unable to speak?
Looking at it, I can see how you got there but no.

User avatar
Herra Ratatoskr
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 72
Joined: 28 Dec 2017 23:22

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Herra Ratatoskr » 26 Aug 2019 01:51

The morpheme breakdown I guessed was self+word+less+ness. Were most of those guesses accurate?

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1026
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 26 Aug 2019 03:03

Herra Ratatoskr wrote:
26 Aug 2019 01:51
The morpheme breakdown I guessed was self+word+less+ness. Were most of those guesses accurate?
They’re all accurate except for “word”.

Ælfwine
roman
roman
Posts: 927
Joined: 21 Sep 2015 01:28
Location: New Jersey

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Ælfwine » 26 Aug 2019 05:09

Self-worth-less-ness?
My Blog
Current Projects:
Crimean Gothic — A Gothic language spoken in Crimea (duh)
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
An unnamed Semitic language spoken in the Caucus.

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1026
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 26 Aug 2019 14:11

Ælfwine wrote:
26 Aug 2019 05:09
Self-worth-less-ness?
That is the literal morpheme by morpheme meaning, yes.

Although I’m hoping it’s actual translation can still be guessed.

Ælfwine
roman
roman
Posts: 927
Joined: 21 Sep 2015 01:28
Location: New Jersey

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Ælfwine » 26 Aug 2019 18:34

spanick wrote:
26 Aug 2019 14:11
Ælfwine wrote:
26 Aug 2019 05:09
Self-worth-less-ness?
That is the literal morpheme by morpheme meaning, yes.

Although I’m hoping it’s actual translation can still be guessed.
Shot in the dark: unworthiness
My Blog
Current Projects:
Crimean Gothic — A Gothic language spoken in Crimea (duh)
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
An unnamed Semitic language spoken in the Caucus.

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1026
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 26 Aug 2019 19:09

Ælfwine wrote:
26 Aug 2019 18:34
spanick wrote:
26 Aug 2019 14:11
Ælfwine wrote:
26 Aug 2019 05:09
Self-worth-less-ness?
That is the literal morpheme by morpheme meaning, yes.

Although I’m hoping it’s actual translation can still be guessed.
Shot in the dark: unworthiness
That's the gist of it, yes. But it has a semantically narrower meaning.

Ælfwine
roman
roman
Posts: 927
Joined: 21 Sep 2015 01:28
Location: New Jersey

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Ælfwine » 26 Aug 2019 19:48

spanick wrote:
26 Aug 2019 19:09
Ælfwine wrote:
26 Aug 2019 18:34
spanick wrote:
26 Aug 2019 14:11
Ælfwine wrote:
26 Aug 2019 05:09
Self-worth-less-ness?
That is the literal morpheme by morpheme meaning, yes.

Although I’m hoping it’s actual translation can still be guessed.
Shot in the dark: unworthiness
That's the gist of it, yes. But it has a semantically narrower meaning.
Looking at it again, the state of which someone has low self-worth or self-esteem?
My Blog
Current Projects:
Crimean Gothic — A Gothic language spoken in Crimea (duh)
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
An unnamed Semitic language spoken in the Caucus.

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1026
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 26 Aug 2019 23:34

Ælfwine wrote:
26 Aug 2019 19:48
Looking at it again, the state of which someone has low self-worth or self-esteem?
That's right!

wórdleasnes "worthlessness, inferiority" can be used a few contexts semantically that it wouldn't be used in Modern English like (sólf)wórdleasnes komplex "inferiority complex" or auwórdleasnes "total depravity (Rel.)" and of course sólfwórdleasnes "low self-esteem (lit. self-worthlessness)"

Anyway, your turn.

Ælfwine
roman
roman
Posts: 927
Joined: 21 Sep 2015 01:28
Location: New Jersey

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Ælfwine » 27 Aug 2019 04:21

Mkay.

Crimean Gothic гласматс /ˈɣlasˌmats/
My Blog
Current Projects:
Crimean Gothic — A Gothic language spoken in Crimea (duh)
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
An unnamed Semitic language spoken in the Caucus.

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1026
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 27 Aug 2019 05:29

Ælfwine wrote:
27 Aug 2019 04:21
Mkay.

Crimean Gothic гласматс /ˈɣlasˌmats/
Is it a noun composed of at least two, possibly three morphemes?

Ælfwine
roman
roman
Posts: 927
Joined: 21 Sep 2015 01:28
Location: New Jersey

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Ælfwine » 27 Aug 2019 21:21

spanick wrote:
27 Aug 2019 05:29
Ælfwine wrote:
27 Aug 2019 04:21
Mkay.

Crimean Gothic гласматс /ˈɣlasˌmats/
Is it a noun composed of at least two, possibly three morphemes?
Yes
My Blog
Current Projects:
Crimean Gothic — A Gothic language spoken in Crimea (duh)
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
An unnamed Semitic language spoken in the Caucus.

Post Reply