Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 909
Joined: 11 May 2017 00:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 23 Jun 2018 17:17

Creyeditor wrote:
23 Jun 2018 17:12
Is it the custom duties that you pay in a harbour?
Even closer. But the second morpheme is key to distinguishing to exact meaning.

User avatar
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4520
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 18:32

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Creyeditor » 23 Jun 2018 17:32

Does 'vröö' mean 'free'?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 909
Joined: 11 May 2017 00:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 23 Jun 2018 17:34

Creyeditor wrote:
23 Jun 2018 17:32
Does 'vröö' mean 'free'?
[tick]

User avatar
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4520
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 18:32

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Creyeditor » 23 Jun 2018 17:43

So it is 'money-free-haven'...
Assuming headedness is still the same, how about a harbour, where you do not need to pay any dues?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 909
Joined: 11 May 2017 00:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 23 Jun 2018 17:49

Creyeditor wrote:
23 Jun 2018 17:43
So it is 'money-free-haven'...
Assuming headedness is still the same, how about a harbour, where you do not need to pay any dues?
Basically.

In Haallannisch, jeld means a tax or duty. I had “duty-free harbour” in mind. The word for money is gält and is borrowed from Middle Low German.

Your turn.

User avatar
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4520
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 18:32

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Creyeditor » 23 Jun 2018 18:20

Okay:

Burjenges
äsjes
/ɛʃəs/
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 909
Joined: 11 May 2017 00:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 23 Jun 2018 20:17

Creyeditor wrote:
23 Jun 2018 18:20
Okay:

Burjenges
äsjes
/ɛʃəs/
Is it a noun?

User avatar
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4520
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 18:32

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Creyeditor » 24 Jun 2018 00:07

spanick wrote: Is it a noun?
Yes [:)]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]

shimobaatar
darkness
darkness
Posts: 11267
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 22:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar » 24 Jun 2018 00:12

Is the word made up of only one root?

Ælfwine
greek
greek
Posts: 826
Joined: 21 Sep 2015 00:28
Location: New Jersey

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Ælfwine » 24 Jun 2018 01:51

ashes?
My Blog
Current Projects:
Mannish — A North Germanic language spoken on the Calf of Man
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area

User avatar
eldin raigmore
fire
fire
Posts: 6281
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 18:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by eldin raigmore » 24 Jun 2018 02:17

Ælfwine wrote:
24 Jun 2018 01:51
ashes?
I was going to ask “Do we all fall down?” but I was afraid you all would think I was being silly.

shimobaatar
darkness
darkness
Posts: 11267
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 22:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar » 24 Jun 2018 02:38

eldin raigmore wrote:
24 Jun 2018 02:17
Ælfwine wrote:
24 Jun 2018 01:51
ashes?
I was going to ask “Do we all fall down?” but I was afraid you all would think I was being silly.
Äsjes?
/ɛʃəs/
äsj-e-s
fall.down-1p-INT
Do we all fall down?

That's one hell of a Germlang.

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 909
Joined: 11 May 2017 00:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 24 Jun 2018 02:44

shimobaatar wrote:
24 Jun 2018 02:38
eldin raigmore wrote:
24 Jun 2018 02:17
Ælfwine wrote:
24 Jun 2018 01:51
ashes?
I was going to ask “Do we all fall down?” but I was afraid you all would think I was being silly.
Äsjes?
/ɛʃəs/
äsj-e-s
fall.down-1p-INT
Do we all fall down?

That's one hell of a Germlang.
Or he’s joking about the nursery rhyme “Ring around a Rosie”

shimobaatar
darkness
darkness
Posts: 11267
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 22:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar » 24 Jun 2018 02:59

spanick wrote:
24 Jun 2018 02:44
shimobaatar wrote:
24 Jun 2018 02:38
eldin raigmore wrote:
24 Jun 2018 02:17
Ælfwine wrote:
24 Jun 2018 01:51
ashes?
I was going to ask “Do we all fall down?” but I was afraid you all would think I was being silly.
Äsjes?
/ɛʃəs/
äsj-e-s
fall.down-1p-INT
Do we all fall down?

That's one hell of a Germlang.
Or he’s joking about the nursery rhyme “Ring around a Rosie”
Yeah, I know. I was joking too.

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 909
Joined: 11 May 2017 00:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 24 Jun 2018 03:25

shimobaatar wrote:
24 Jun 2018 02:59
spanick wrote:
24 Jun 2018 02:44
shimobaatar wrote:
24 Jun 2018 02:38
eldin raigmore wrote:
24 Jun 2018 02:17
Ælfwine wrote:
24 Jun 2018 01:51
ashes?
I was going to ask “Do we all fall down?” but I was afraid you all would think I was being silly.
Äsjes?
/ɛʃəs/
äsj-e-s
fall.down-1p-INT
Do we all fall down?

That's one hell of a Germlang.
Or he’s joking about the nursery rhyme “Ring around a Rosie”
Yeah, I know. I was joking too.
Gotcha. Damn suprasegmental-less internet!

User avatar
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4520
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 18:32

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Creyeditor » 24 Jun 2018 10:22

shimobaatar wrote:
24 Jun 2018 00:12
Is the word made up of only one root?
It contains exactly one root. So, it's not a compound. It does also contain non-root material, though.
Ælfwine wrote:
24 Jun 2018 01:51
ashes?
[cross] No
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]

shimobaatar
darkness
darkness
Posts: 11267
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 22:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar » 24 Jun 2018 11:38

Creyeditor wrote:
24 Jun 2018 10:22
shimobaatar wrote:
24 Jun 2018 00:12
Is the word made up of only one root?
It contains exactly one root. So, it's not a compound. It does also contain non-root material, though.
Is it a root and an inflectional suffix?

User avatar
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4520
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 18:32

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Creyeditor » 24 Jun 2018 11:54

shimobaatar wrote:
24 Jun 2018 11:38
Is it a root and an inflectional suffix?
Yes [tick]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]

shimobaatar
darkness
darkness
Posts: 11267
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 22:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar » 24 Jun 2018 12:07

Is the noun nominative singular?

User avatar
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4520
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 18:32

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Creyeditor » 24 Jun 2018 12:09

shimobaatar wrote:
24 Jun 2018 12:07
Is the noun nominative singular?
[cross] No
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]

Post Reply