Pancake (working title) - Collaborative conlang

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Segano
cuneiform
cuneiform

Pancake (working title) - Collaborative conlang

Post by Segano » 05 Oct 2014 00:19

Hey guys,

I apologize if this topic isn't supposed to be posted in this board, but it seemed like the right one. If it's not, please move it to the appropriate board.

One thing I've always found... unfortunate is the fact that I couldn't speak my conlangs with anyone. One might argue that using your conlang isn't important, having fun creating it is. True. But think about it: wouldn't it be cool to be able to speak your language with other people? That's why I'd like to propose to create a conlang (and perhaps even a conworld/concountry) with a few people (preferably 3-7 people, otherwise things would get really messy). We could communicate on Skype and would create our own language from scratch. I think it'd be a great learning experience for us all and we would definitely benefit from each other's personal experiences. After a few months (or perhaps even a few weeks) we could start using our language and teach it to others.

Perhaps it seems far-fetched, but I really think this could work. Please let me know what you think and if you're interested.

Segano
Last edited by Segano on 11 Nov 2014 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
Fluent: :nld: :usa: Average: :esp: Basic: :rus: :srp: Terrible: :bra: :swe:

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Re: Proposing to create a conlang with multiple people

Post by Ahzoh » 05 Oct 2014 00:30

This is what they call "collaborative conlanging" and there are some many threads on collablangs, but no one has tried to speak them...
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

Segano
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Segano » 05 Oct 2014 17:25

Yeah, I've come across a topic on this forum, but from what I could see they didn't come very far (which is sad). It'd definitely be a very interesting experience, especially if it does succeed and we could actually use it.

But I'm sure I'm being way too optimistic here. :P

Jarhead
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Jarhead » 07 Oct 2014 12:16

A guess a big problem is that everyone might enjoy making decisions on word order and semantics, but everybody hates sitting down and write the vocabulary. That might be a reason why collaborative conlangs often don't go very far.
L1: :ita:
Fluent (on a good day): :eng:
Written: :lat:
Beginner: :esp:
Working on: :con: ~ Eil

Esmelthien
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Esmelthien » 08 Oct 2014 01:49

Maybe something like a lexicon building thread except for just that one 'lang could be used?

Squall
greek
greek

Post by Squall » 08 Oct 2014 02:49

Jarhead wrote:A guess a big problem is that everyone might enjoy making decisions on word order and semantics,
In that case, each one will propose some features. When someone disagree with a feature or want to use another feature instead, you can vote for the preferred alternatives.
Jarhead wrote:but everybody hates sitting down and write the vocabulary.
You can choose a natlang to get the vocabulary from. It cannot be a language that is spoken by one of the creators.

The first step is the phonology and the orthography.
The next step will be the grammar.

There is a list in another thread of things to develop when creating a conlang.
English is not my native language. Sorry for any mistakes or lack of knowledge when I discuss this language.
:bra: :mrgreen: | :uk: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :epo: [:|] | :lat: [:S] | :jpn: [:'(]

Segano
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Segano » 09 Oct 2014 18:25

Thanks for the replies, everyone. :)
Jarhead wrote:A guess a big problem is that everyone might enjoy making decisions on word order and semantics, but everybody hates sitting down and write the vocabulary. That might be a reason why collaborative conlangs often don't go very far.
I'm actually quite fond of creating vocabulary, so that shouldn't be that much of a problem. As for making decisions, a democratic system would indeed be the best way to go.
Esmelthien wrote:Maybe something like a lexicon building thread except for just that one 'lang could be used?
As in creating a lexicon building thread specifically for 'the conlang'?
Squall wrote:You can choose a natlang to get the vocabulary from. It cannot be a language that is spoken by one of the creators.
I think that's a great idea. :)

Serena
sinic
sinic

Post by Serena » 09 Oct 2014 19:05

I really would like to see this project going further, but I have to say that it will be extremely difficult. In my opinion, if we continue this, we should work like a parliament:
  • All the currently known information about the language is stored somewhere we can access (like a wiki on wikia).
  • Every member is entitled with proposing "laws", which the group will vote on after a brief discussion.
  • Before voting, amendments can be proposed.
  • If the vote passes, the "law" is applied.

Segano
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Segano » 09 Oct 2014 19:09

Thanks for your reply. :)
Serena wrote:I really would like to see this project going further, but I have to say that it will be extremely difficult.
Yeah, for that reason it might be better to stick to an existing language family (as in Romance, Germanic, Celtic, etc.), unless of course it's decided otherwise. It's still going to be extremely difficult, I agree, but it'd probably make things a little easier.
Serena wrote:In my opinion, if we continue this, we should work like a parliament:
  • All the currently known information about the language is stored somewhere we can access (like a wiki on wikia).
  • Every member is entitled with proposing "laws", which the group will vote on after a brief discussion.
  • Before voting, amendments can be proposed.
  • If the vote passes, the "law" is applied.
I completely agree. :)

Serena
sinic
sinic

Post by Serena » 09 Oct 2014 19:19

Since you are the creator of the thread, you decide the workflow. As for the language, I would suggest this basic theme:
  • Semitic-like phonology, but with more vowels.
  • Fusional grammar, similarly to latin or greek.

Segano
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Segano » 09 Oct 2014 20:27

Semitic-like phonology, but with more vowels.
Sounds good to me. :) Are you referring to any Semitic language in particular or just Semitic languages in general?
Fusional grammar, similarly to latin or greek.
As in cases and genders? Good idea. =)

k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » 09 Oct 2014 21:21

probably we need to also make some words that are not easily translated into English.

Also, what kind of beings speak this language? will it be a human language?

Segano
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Segano » 09 Oct 2014 21:26

k1234567890y wrote:probably we need to also make some words that are not easily translated into English.

Yeah, I agree. :) I personally don't have a preference, however it would probably be much easier to create (and learn) a human language than it would be to create an alien language. But then again, I've never created a non-human language before.

k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » 09 Oct 2014 21:35

Segano wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:probably we need to also make some words that are not easily translated into English.

Yeah, I agree. :) I personally don't have a preference, however it would probably be much easier to create (and learn) a human language than it would be to create an alien language. But then again, I've never created a non-human language before.
ok :) we can just create a human language, however, if we want to use gender, what kind of gender systems should we use? a masculine/feminine-based one or an animacy-based one? anyone has ideas?

Serena
sinic
sinic

Post by Serena » 09 Oct 2014 21:51

Definitively a human language.
k1234567890y wrote:ok :) we can just create a human language, however, if we want to use gender, what kind of gender systems should we use? a masculine/feminine-based one or an animacy-based one? anyone has ideas?
A masculine-feminine-neuter based. It sounds boring if you speak a romance language, but actually you can be quite creative using genders. Animacy is too mainstream, imho.

Esmelthien
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Esmelthien » 10 Oct 2014 02:04

Serena wrote:Semitic-like phonology, but with more vowels.
I would enjoy Hebrew with Romanian vowels a lot, maybe with an added k/q and x/X contrast.

Squall
greek
greek

Post by Squall » 10 Oct 2014 04:27

Let's start with the phonology.
My votes are:
-At least 4 vowels and at most 8 vowels.
-No long vowels, unless they are /uw/ or /wu/ (instead of /u:/), /aa/ (instead of /a:/)
-In order to many people enjoy the language, I prefer avoiding an excessive number of rare phonemes.

Romanian vowels and the proposed orthography:
/i ɨ u e̞ ə o̞ ä/ <i î u e â o a> (Can you type î and â? I cannot type ă.)

Wikipedia shows Modern Hebrew and Biblical Hebrew. There is also Proto-Semitic.

Hebrew sounds more beautiful than Arabic. [:D]

As for the lexicon, what about Malay or Swahili?

If we use the lexicon of a language that does not have genders, someone will have to assign random genders to each noun.
English is not my native language. Sorry for any mistakes or lack of knowledge when I discuss this language.
:bra: :mrgreen: | :uk: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :epo: [:|] | :lat: [:S] | :jpn: [:'(]

Segano
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Segano » 10 Oct 2014 10:08

-At least 4 vowels and at most 8 vowels.
-No long vowels, unless they are /uw/ or /wu/ (instead of /u:/), /aa/ (instead of /a:/)
-In order to many people enjoy the language, I prefer avoiding an excessive number of rare phonemes.
I agree. :)
/i ɨ u e̞ ə o̞ ä/ <i î u e â o a> (Can you type î and â? I cannot type ă.)
In Windows you can just add a Romanian keyboard layout like this: http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/258824 In Linux you'd need a compose key: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ComposeKey
/i ɨ u e̞ ə o̞ ä/ <i î u e ă o a>
As for the lexicon, what about Malay or Swahili?
Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with either language, but I'm not sure how we would combine Semitic, Eastern Romance and Austronesian/Bantu languages.

Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku » 10 Oct 2014 14:13

I'd propose one more vowel, so it's not originally Romanian.

Maybe /y/?
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.

k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » 10 Oct 2014 18:06

if we want to use a priori words, we probably can use some on-line word generators, how do you think?