Forum News discussion/feedback thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Tanni
greek
greek

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Tanni » 17 Sep 2014 10:34

Is it possible to scale down the pie charts in the ''View first unread post Statistics thread for your amusement!'' thread? Or any other picture in a size exceeding the normal size of a thread post in x coordinate?
My neurochemistry has fucked my impulse control, now I'm diagnosed OOD = oppositional opinion disorder, one of the most deadly diseases in totalitarian states, but can be cured in the free world.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 17 Sep 2014 21:27

Squall wrote:I have a suggestion to the board.
When we write a message, it would be good to have a box with IPA symbols to insert into the message. They would be inserted with a way similar to how emoticons are inserted.
IPA symbols are not difficult to support because they are supported by UTF8.
Yes.
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

thaen
roman
roman

Post by thaen » 18 Sep 2014 00:51

Ahzoh wrote:
When we write a message, it would be good to have a box with IPA symbols to insert into the message. They would be inserted with a way similar to how emoticons are inserted.
Yes.
I third this
:con: Nillahimma
:con: Øð!
:con: Coneylang

I am the Great Rabbit. Fear me, O Crabs!
Spoiler:
ı θ ð ʃ ɲ ŋ ʔ ɛ ə ø ʑ ɕ ʷ ʲ ⁿ

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 19 Sep 2014 02:16

thaen wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:
Yes.
I third this
And I firth and/or fourth it.

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 19 Sep 2014 11:48

Lambuzhao wrote:
thaen wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:
Yes.
I third this
[+1]

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 19 Sep 2014 12:08

DesEsseintes wrote:
Lambuzhao wrote:
thaen wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:
Yes.
I third this
[+1]
Yup, I like this idea. [+1]
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

Xonen

Post by Xonen » 19 Sep 2014 13:36

Okay, people, I think we have enough [+1]'s now. [:)] I'm sure that if it's possible to implement this without doing an insane amount of work, Aszev will consider it. Meanwhile, for those of you that know X-SAMPA, I suggest using his X-SAMPA to IPA converter.

Ossicone

Post by Ossicone » 19 Sep 2014 15:11

Or any of these other options...

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2655

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 03 Jan 2015 12:03

Are there any rules or suggested guidelines on signature content? I have noticed that some have one or more animated GIFs and/or images that oft outweighs the average post length by a number of lines.

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 03 Jan 2015 12:16

Thrice Xandvii wrote:Are there any rules or suggested guidelines on signature content? I have noticed that some have one or more animated GIFs and/or images that oft outweighs the average post length by a number of lines.
[+1]

This is particularly irksome when navigating the forum on a mobile device as images keep popping up at slightly delayed intervals messing up the display.

Xonen

Post by Xonen » 03 Jan 2015 12:21

Thrice Xandvii wrote:Are there any rules or suggested guidelines on signature content?
Yes, at the bottom of the post containing the House Rules. However, it doesn't really address this question:
I have noticed that some have one or more animated GIFs and/or images that oft outweighs the average post length by a number of lines.
I personally haven't noticed this to be a problem, but I guess it's worth discussing.

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 03 Jan 2015 12:26

I wouldn't go so far as to say "problem" but I've noticed two or three particular users. I was merely curious if there even was a guideline in the first place.

I would personally suggest no GIFs whatsoever (or mayhap some sort of file size limit to keep the number of frames down, because honestly stuff like moving smileys wouldn't be an issue in my opinion), and no image taller than a typical avatar, so like 100-200ish pixels and something not wide enough to break the horizontal frame. I haven't a clue how wide that is in pixels, though.

Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa » 03 Jan 2015 12:36

That depends on the resolution of your monitor(s) and how wide you've made the browser window.

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 03 Jan 2015 12:38

Skógvur wrote:That depends on the resolution of your monitor(s) and how wide you've made the browser window.
True.

I guess I was thinking in terms of mobile browsing which I do of this site a LOT. And, which, has a fairly small width depending on phone.

Ossicone

Post by Ossicone » 03 Jan 2015 13:09

I've found the gifs to be very annoying and distracting. (Large sig pics can also be a problem but I haven't seen them lately. )

While I wouldn't call the gifs a major issue atm, I wouldn't want more to show up.

Xonen

Post by Xonen » 03 Jan 2015 13:27

Ossicone wrote:(Large sig pics can also be a problem but I haven't seen them lately. )
I suppose mine might count... [:P] And yes, if I visit this site on my phone then I do have to zoom in to view the text (because it automatically tries to fit the images into view, which requires the text to be reduced to tiny dots) - but since I have to do that on most other sites as well, and because it takes all of about half a second, I've never even thought of it as an issue. But I'll take this into consideration when updating my sig (something which is long overdue, anyway).

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 03 Jan 2015 15:33

To me, your sig is at the outer limit of acceptable. (Not that it's in any way up to me.) I've never had an issue with it. Specifically I am thinking of one of our newest members whose name escapes me and Dr. Standish.

Birdlang
greek
greek

Post by Birdlang » 04 Jan 2015 00:53

Who. Me???
Ꭓꭓ Ʝʝ Ɬɬ Ɦɦ Ɡɡ Ɥɥ Ɫɫ Ɽɽ Ɑɑ Ɱɱ Ɐɐ Ɒɒ Ɓɓ Ɔɔ Ɖɖ Ɗɗ Əə Ɛɛ Ɠɠ Ɣɣ Ɯɯ Ɲɲ Ɵɵ Ʀʀ Ʃʃ Ʈʈ Ʊʊ Ʋʋ Ʒʒ Ꞵꞵ Ʉʉ Ʌʌ Ŋŋ Ɂɂ Ɪɪ Ææ Øø Ð𠌜 Ɜɜ Ǝɘ

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 04 Jan 2015 06:43

Birdlang wrote:Who. Me???
No, it wasn't you. [:)]

Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing » 10 Jan 2015 15:50

Should we have any suggestions/guidelines against edit button misuse? I came to think about this when I read this post the conversation thread. It has happened once in a while that someone deletes all the content in his/her posts in one or more threads by replacing them with a smiley or something similar. It can make it more difficult to follow the threads.