How can I teach a Conlang online?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Tuslaven Kukristo
cuneiform
cuneiform

How can I teach a Conlang online?

Post by Tuslaven Kukristo » 05 Jan 2015 23:01

I have a Conlang called Teeverb Kuluxem (Verbalux) and I was wondering, is there any way to teach your conlang online through some interactive program? I'm looking for something similar to Duolingo, but will let you teach any language. Is there maybe even a way to teach you language through some interactive program that you can download and customize for a conlang?

I would be SO happy if someone knows of a way, it would be SO much easier to teach my friends. As of ow, the online thing i have is online flashcards through Brainscape.
Fluent: :usa:
Learning: :esp: + :grc: + :rus: + :epo: + :heb: + Toki Pona + ASL
Conlang: Image(Teeverb Kuluxem)

alynnidalar
roman
roman

Re: How can I teach a Conlang online?

Post by alynnidalar » 06 Jan 2015 00:24

I saw a mention on Reddit of someone developing a sort of Duolingo clone for conlangs (and open for other languages as well, I suppose). It's called LLADI, I'm not sure what the current status of it is but there's a subreddit for it here.

Of course, as it hasn't been released yet, I have no idea how well it will fit your purposes!

Lhesngini
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Lhesngini » 06 Jan 2015 04:16

You could make a course on Memrise. Although it may be difficult teaching how words are used in sentences, you could use it to teach vocabulary.

Tuslaven Kukristo
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Tuslaven Kukristo » 13 Jan 2015 18:55

I am currently working on creating a program similar to Duolingo that people will be able to use for their conlangs. The downside is... it will will made on scratch (A simple programming tool) and people will need to know just a little bit about scratch to create a course.

Systemzwang
greek
greek

Post by Systemzwang » 14 Jan 2015 13:46

A relevant question: why? Do you think there'll be an audience for it? Do you think the effort you're going to put into that will have any returns whatsoever? Do you think your conlang genuinely is far along to be worth learning for anyone?

Tuslaven Kukristo
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Tuslaven Kukristo » 14 Jan 2015 16:40

Systemzwang wrote:A relevant question: why? Do you think there'll be an audience for it? Do you think the effort you're going to put into that will have any returns whatsoever? Do you think your conlang genuinely is far along to be worth learning for anyone?
If for no-one else then for me. And yes I do believe Teeverb Kuluxem is far enough along to start the programming (Only because the very reason for Teeverb is simplicity to learn with fewest rules as possible) Although I am still making some minor changes to Verbalux, most of it is in stone. And this program is mostly to help some of my friends to learn the language (Because the program is written with Scratch, it wont take me too many more hours) [:)]

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 14 Jan 2015 16:44

Soooo.....

Even if you're "one in a million".....
How many people are there in the world now?
Even if one took that number of genuinely interested people and halved it, or thirded it, or even tithed it,

...that's got to be more than, say, ten people.

But even if there were ten like-minded/interested people...

....why not throw out a cybernautical message in a bottle?

:wat:

Dezinaa
roman
roman

Post by Dezinaa » 14 Jan 2015 16:52

Tuslaven Kukristo wrote:
Systemzwang wrote:A relevant question: why? Do you think there'll be an audience for it? Do you think the effort you're going to put into that will have any returns whatsoever? Do you think your conlang genuinely is far along to be worth learning for anyone?
If for no-one else then for me. And yes I do believe Teeverb Kuluxem is far enough along to start the programming (Only because the very reason for Teeverb is simplicity to learn with fewest rules as possible) Although I am still making some minor changes to Verbalux, most of it is in stone. And this program is mostly to help some of my friends to learn the language (Because the program is written with Scratch, it wont take me too many more hours) [:)]
I really think you should make an phonemic inventory and more grammar before you try to do this. When I started conlanging, I thought my lang was perfect and that I didn't need to change anything. The phonology and grammar turned out to be almost exactly like English. You've only been here for about a month, so we'd like to help you make your conlang better (not that it's bad now; you could be an experienced conlanger who's been doing this for years, but only just now joined the CBB.). [:)]
And I hope I don't sound condescending... If I do, sorry.

Tuslaven Kukristo
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Tuslaven Kukristo » 14 Jan 2015 16:55

Dezinaa wrote:
Tuslaven Kukristo wrote:
I really think you should make an phonemic inventory and more grammar before you try to do this. When I started conlanging, I thought my lang was perfect and that I didn't need to change anything. The phonology and grammar turned out to be almost exactly like English. You've only been here for about a month, so we'd like to help you make your conlang better (not that it's bad now; you could be an experienced conlanger who's been doing this for years, but only just now joined the CBB.). [:)]
And I hope I don't sound condescending... If I do, sorry.
Thanks for the edvice [:)] sadly... I dont have too much time to be able to create and recreate conlangs [:'(] Plus most of the purpose of the language is to be fluent with a couple friends. Plus, this program will be easily customised with a generic Spanish engine that can be simply recreated for another language, so if I eventually make a better one, this engine will still help me [:D]

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 17 Jan 2015 20:24

Sooooo......

If you and a very small but dedicated audience of interlocutors/learners are interested in achieving proficiency, I would step away from the computer. "Boink" (meet for the purpose of practicing the lang) regularly, adapt {insert World Language name} class games for you to use (BINGO, Broken Telephone, Show & Tell, simplified version of Jeopardy!, etc) . Above all, most combos of facetime + language use would be most salubrious, IMHO. [:)]

Videotaping these meetings for later reference (and/or extortion) would be even better. [B)]

Deathstroke
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Deathstroke » 18 Jan 2015 11:35

Lhesngini wrote:You could make a course on Memrise. Although it may be difficult teaching how words are used in sentences, you could use it to teach vocabulary.
Another similar option would be Anki. It is actually a desktop app (Windows, Mac, Linux) for flashcards that can sync over the internet with smartphone apps (iOS, Android). You can also review cards online for when you don't have access to its apps. I'm not too familiar with Memrise (I know what it is and have used it maybe once) but I think using Anki would simplify using sentences, at least allowing one to assimilate the grammar through exposure (not unlike DuoLingo); as it is just a flashcard app it isn't meant for lengthy descriptions. But I create sentence cards with it all the time, right now I'm finally starting to use the cloze system for remembering french conjugations.

EDIT: When I said "just a flashcard app," I really was leaving out the fact that Anki is quite powerful and has a lot of functions built in. You can change the fonts, add images AND audio, have a number of different fields to put on the front and back. You can do the cloze deletion I mentioned, it's where a word or phrase is hidden and you have to guess what it is. Anki also has a ton of plugins. All that, and you can upload or download shared decks. Basically, it's a pretty cool app!