Misremembered spelling/pronunciation

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Shrdlu
greek
greek

Re: Misremembered spelling/pronunciation

Post by Shrdlu » 11 Sep 2015 02:24

I've spent 10 years looking for Doom 2 Evolution.

It's Doom 2 Evilution.
I kill threads!

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 11 Sep 2015 02:47

Some of you seen how I used to spelled "guess" as "geuss"...
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 11 Sep 2015 02:56

Yes, you also seem to spell "saw" as "seen." LOL [:P]

I'm a fan of hence too!

Avo
roman
roman

Post by Avo » 11 Sep 2015 03:02

Back when I was learning English, I had a hard time with knowledge and available and kept spelling them knowdelge and aviable for some reason. And I've been remembering diacritic as diactric for years.

As a child I could never get over the <c> in the Italian word acqua (despite it being clearly audible) and I spelled the German wir with <ie> until like 7th grade.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 11 Sep 2015 03:13

Thrice Xandvii wrote:Yes, you also seem to spell "saw" as "seen." LOL [:P]
Hey! That's just how my dialect (or "small part of a city"-lect) says things:
I seen, you seen, it seen, they seen, but (s)he seen/(s)he's seen

Khemehekis
runic
runic

Post by Khemehekis » 11 Sep 2015 05:29

Oh, I just remembered another one: I read "hypocoristic" as "hypocrostic".
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 60,137 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!

Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa » 11 Sep 2015 12:50

Just remembered I thought vicinity was spelled and pronounced vincity.

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 12 Sep 2015 20:57

For as long as I can remember, I've been unable to spell "medieval" without looking it up. I thought it was "midevil" when I was younger, but nowadays I usually go through several weird, failed attempts at spelling it (like "mideaval", "medaevil", etc.) before I realize I'm just not going to get it right by guessing.

Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus » 13 Sep 2015 00:59

shimobaatar wrote:For as long as I can remember, I've been unable to spell "medieval" without looking it up. I thought it was "midevil" when I was younger, but nowadays I usually go through several weird, failed attempts at spelling it (like "mideaval", "medaevil", etc.) before I realize I'm just not going to get it right by guessing.
The vowels may look confusing, but the good thing about 'mediaeval' is that it's spellt just the way that it sounds.

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 13 Sep 2015 01:16

Salmoneus wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:For as long as I can remember, I've been unable to spell "medieval" without looking it up. I thought it was "midevil" when I was younger, but nowadays I usually go through several weird, failed attempts at spelling it (like "mideaval", "medaevil", etc.) before I realize I'm just not going to get it right by guessing.
The vowels may look confusing, but the good thing about 'mediaeval' is that it's spellt just the way that it sounds.
Today I learned that there are apparently two different ways to spell that word, and that some English speakers pronounce the word quite similarly to one of the spellings. Thank you for informing me of this!

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 13 Sep 2015 01:19

I'll never forget how a fellow student in a Grad Greek class had the unfortunality to pronounce the double dots over a vowel as die-a-rhesus
[cross] /daɪ.jə.ˈriː.səs/

instead of the correct diæresis:
[tick] /daɪ.ˈɛ.ɹə.sɪs/

I also once heard a football coach refer to one of his players as the pinnacle as /ˈpiˌnʌk.l̩/ [i.e. pinochle] of quarterbacks.

:roll: [:x]

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 13 Sep 2015 01:32

Lambuzhao wrote:I'll never forget how a fellow student in a Grad Greek class had the unfortunality to pronounce the double dots over a vowel as die-a-rhesus

[tick] /daɪ.ˈɛ.ɹə.sɪs/
I at least pronounce it pronounce it /daɪ.jə.ˈrɛ.sɪs/.

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 13 Sep 2015 02:47

Today I learned that /'di.ɹə.sɪs/ isn't even close to the real pronunciation of diaeresis. I have a feeling I will never get in the habit of making it the right number of syllables.

Isoraqathedh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Isoraqathedh » 13 Sep 2015 05:40

I never can spell that word. I usually go for the more prosaic name "double-dots", or even just "ddots".
Conlangs: EP (EV EB) Yk HI Ag Cd GE Rs, Ct, EQ, SX Sk Ya (OF), Ub, AKF MGY, (RDWA BCMS)
Natural languages: zh-hk, zh-cn, en

alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » 14 Sep 2015 03:03

I can both spell and pronounce "umlaut", so I use that instead, even though I know it's not "technically" correct in English.

cntrational
roman
roman

Post by cntrational » 14 Sep 2015 03:30

I usually remember it by the Latin pronunciation, diaeresis = /dɪajrɛsɪs/, though I don't actually pronounce it as such in English.

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 14 Sep 2015 03:45

alynnidalar wrote:I can both spell and pronounce "umlaut", so I use that instead, even though I know it's not "technically" correct in English.
I do something similar, I think, although not primarily out of a desire to avoid the word "diaeresis". I started learning German several years before I ever heard "diaeresis", so calling the diacritic in question an "umlaut" just feels so much more natural to me, and it's the word that comes to me right off the bat when I need one to describe two little dots over a letter, although I also know it's not technically correct.
cntrational wrote:I usually remember it by the Latin pronunciation, diaeresis = /dɪajrɛsɪs/, though I don't actually pronounce it as such in English.
Although not with this particular word, this is a strategy I use a lot myself. That is, I sometimes help myself remember the less predictable spellings of some English words by pronouncing them in my head according to the rules of a language with much more regular orthographic rules than English. I don't pronounce the words like this out loud, but it helps me remember how the words are spelled, especially if I have to transfer a word from one piece of paper to another or something like that.

cntrational
roman
roman

Post by cntrational » 14 Sep 2015 03:56

Yeah, same.

Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus » 14 Sep 2015 14:27

Lambuzhao wrote:I'll never forget how a fellow student in a Grad Greek class had the unfortunality to pronounce the double dots over a vowel as die-a-rhesus

[tick] /daɪ.ˈɛ.ɹə.sɪs/
Damn Greek. I consistently want to pronounce Greek words as though they were sane, proper words with the stress where it would be if it were Latin damnit. [Or rather: English has two totally different stress patterns for Greek words, and I instinctively assume the wrong one]. So words like 'synecdoche' and 'anabasis' and so on I instinctively want to pronounce on the first syllable, not the second.

I also once heard a football coach refer to one of his players as the pinnacle as /ˈpiˌnʌk.l̩/ [i.e. pinochle] of quarterbacks.
Never knew that was how you said 'pinochle'. I'd always assumed stressed /oU/ for the second syllable, and then either syllable l or /l@/ (French-style) for the final syllable.
Then again, I've never actually encountered that word in reality. I've never encountered the game in reality, and if I did I'd probably pronounce it /b@zik/...

Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa » 14 Sep 2015 16:08

What? I thought diæRIsis was how it was supposed to be stressed. I can't remember ever hearing anything else.