What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Ahzoh » 10 Feb 2016 21:36

I have more names. Some are regional, aligning with regional beliefs. The basic Vrkhazhian names consists of a name given at birth and a name chosen at adulthood. Choosing an adult name requires much thought and many have to decide at least one year before they reach adulthood, as it is supposed to represent who you are. Given names often represent the hopes or views of the parents.

Female Given Names:
Bamdera "May she hold great wisdom"
Barmer-Pusṭaš "The Glory of Her Ancestral Mothers"
Bibmada "May she be wise"
Bissama "May she prosper"
ʾAlaḵa "May her breaths blow away obstacles like the wind"
ʾAraš-Pusṭaš "Th Vessel Her Ancestral Mothers"
ʾInḵom-Pusṭaš "The Eyes of Her Ancestral Mothers"
ʾOša "May she burn like fire"
Yomeḵa "May she rage like a storm"

Female Chosen Names:
Dlat͛a "Horse"
ʾAṟana "Scorpion"
Rižiya "Ibis"

Male Given Names:
Barmer-Pundřiž "The Glory of His Ancestral Fathers"
Bibrami "May he honor his family"
Biylali "May he shape his future well"
ʾAraš-Pundřiž "The Vessel of His Ancestral Fathers"
ʾIkani "He Who Shines Like an Emerald"
ʾInḵom-Pundřiž "The Eyes of His Ancestral Fathers"
Humri "He Who Is Pure"
Yavi "May he be the scythe that harvests prosperity"
Šušmi "He Who Strengthens Others"

Male Chosen Names:
Dlat͛i-Sa-ṭami "Rhinoceros"
ʾIḥmeki "Lion"
ʾIkan-Semʾelaẏ "The Emerald of The Crocodile" (This is a name based off of a mythological story about a crocodile that gained sentience after swallowing an emerald dropped by a man he had just eaten. The crocodile became overwhelmed with remorse and spat out the man, promising he would never eat him or any other human again. This name thus signifies "one who enlightens, one who brings out the good in people".)
ʾƏḡtaki "Camel"
Map͛i "Bear"
Semʾeli "Crocodile"
Zmeri "Crow"

Special:
ʾAraš-Hijun "The Vessel of Gods"
This name can be given to both males and females, though mostly to the former. It is a rare name, often given only to those who are destined for greatness. Often those people are albinos, thus most albinos have this name.

The names ʾArša-ʾEhmara and ʾArši-ʾEhmari both mean "Pure Vessel" and is a name chosen by those who are members of the Omniscient Order of Magi.

NB: "vessel" could also be interpreted as meaning "avatar" or "image".
Famous Vrkhazhians include:
  • ʾIḥmeki ʾAraš-Hijun The Founder who founded and created the empire of Yat-Vrkhazh and organized the first-ever victory against the otherworld creatures. He soon disappeared after this.
  • ʾArša-ʾEhmara ʾAṟana, the wife of Arash-Hijun and Empress of Yat-Vrkhazh. She founded the Omniscient order of Magi during her joint rule with her husband.
  • Semʾeli ʾIkani The Traitor, he usurped the throne of his brother ʾInḵom-Pundřiž ʾIkani and handed it over to the Omniscient Order of magi, which had become corrupted. This act branded him a traitor by the people.
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Śāt Wērxālu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 11 Feb 2016 09:35

I defined the phoneme /θ/ in Híí:

/θ/ is a laminal alveolar non-sibilant fricative that is pronounced with the tip of the tongue against the lower front teeth.

gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » 11 Feb 2016 12:43

DesEsseintes wrote:front teeth
As opposed to the teeth at the back of the mouth? [:P]

Isoraqathedh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Isoraqathedh » 11 Feb 2016 12:53

I have completed the translation of EXEC_FLIP_FUSIONSPHERE/. into Rattssaw in a little over three hours. It really helps that the song is very easy to translate, in words at least if not a successful translation in melody.
gestaltist wrote:
I would imagine as contrasted to molars or those big teeth round the back and not the thin ones in the front.
Conlangs: EP (EV EB) Yk HI Ag Cd GE Rs, Ct, EQ, SX Sk Ya (OF), Ub, AKF MGY, (RDWA BCMS)
Natural languages: zh-hk, zh-cn, en

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 11 Feb 2016 13:05

gestaltist wrote:
Please compare:
I defined the phoneme /θ/ in Híí:

/θ/ is a laminal alveolar non-sibilant fricative that is pronounced with the tip of the tongue against the lower teeth.
If you think that works, then hey, good for you. [;)]

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 11 Feb 2016 13:14

Perhaps he would have preferred you said "lower central incisors"?

gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » 11 Feb 2016 14:13

It's ok. It just sounded weird somehow.

clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » 11 Feb 2016 16:38

I don't think it's that weird. People say front teeth all the time. There's a Christmas song about it. It's like complaining that someone said "subway station" even though there is no other type of station in the area.

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » 11 Feb 2016 17:07

gestaltist already said ok, but I guess I'm in a typey mood this evening [}:D]
DesEsseintes wrote:I defined the phoneme /θ/ in Híí:

/θ/ is a laminal alveolar non-sibilant fricative that is pronounced with the tip of the tongue against the lower front teeth.
Emphasis mine.
gestaltist wrote:
As opposed to the teeth at the back of the mouth?
You dropped the word "lower", which rather makes a difference. I took Des' explanation to clarify and be contrasted with "upper front teeth" which is where I, and I presume at least a few other English speakers, pronounce our /θ/, at least some of the time. It's like saying the French "t" is pronounced with the tongue against the "upper front teeth" in contrast to the more alveolar English "t". Natch, no one expects a [t] noodling around your upper wisdom teeth, but it is just saying "upper teeth" that would sound weird (a point Des made later).
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 11 Feb 2016 18:04

I'm somewhat disappointed that nobody wants to talk about my delightful fricative. [:|]

Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » 11 Feb 2016 18:27

Okay, let's talk about it, because I'm really confused. Is the sound really produced with the tongue against the lower teeth? How would you call such a fricative, because it is neither dental (in a canonical way) nor interdental.
Spoiler:
This is canonically dental
This is intedental
How does the air get under the tongue? Did I misunderstand something?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 11 Feb 2016 18:53

DesEsseintes wrote:I defined the phoneme /θ/ in Híí:

Creyeditor wrote:Okay, let's talk about it, because I'm really confused. Is the sound really produced with the tongue against the lower teeth? How would you call such a fricative, because it is neither dental (in a canonical way) nor interdental.
Spoiler:
This is canonical dental
This is intedental
How does the air get under the tongue? Did I misunderstand something?
Air doesn't get under the tongue; frication occurs between the alveolar ridge and the tongue. However, the position of the tongue tip against the lower front teeth [sic] does affect the quality of the sound, at least as far as I can tell from my own pronunciation thereof.

Alveolar /θ/ occurs in Icelandic by the way, before people start telling me /θ/ is interdental by default.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 11 Feb 2016 19:00

I can also attest to this with my own production of it.

Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » 11 Feb 2016 19:01

Okay, now I understand. The sound is produced by having the blade of the tongue against the alveolar ridge, but it is important for the right tongue position to have the tip of the tongue lowered to the lower front teeth. Still it is a very special little fricative [<3]
How do you transcribe it in IPA? [θ̻̠]?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 11 Feb 2016 19:07

Creyeditor wrote:Okay, now I understand. The sound is produced by having the blade of the tongue against the alveolar ridge, but it is important for the right tongue position to have the tip of the tongue lowered to the lower front teeth. Still it is a very special little fricative [<3]
How do you transcribe it in IPA? [θ̻̠]?
Yay [:D]

I'm not at all sure how to transcribe it. Your suggestion looks good, so thanks for that.

By the way, I thought long and hard about this fricative as I wanted something to contrast clearly with a dental /s/ and a bilabial /ɸ/ without copying European languages.

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » 11 Feb 2016 19:20

And there was great rejoicing. [:)]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » 11 Feb 2016 20:25

Before it gets too far lost, Ahzoh, I wanted to say how lovely those names look. I like the story of the crocodile and the emerald as well!

Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir » 11 Feb 2016 22:28

gestaltist wrote:
I could be wrong, but I don't think DesEsseintes is a moray eel.
Ahzoh wrote:I have more names. Some are regional, aligning with regional beliefs.
very cool word assemblage. cultural tidbits very appetizing and working well with them.
Zmeri "Crow"
if I may ask, is there a way to distinguish a guy named Zmeri, from the bird flying around my back yard? (or just context? "A zmeri ate everything in my birdfeeder" sans context is either the bird, or some guy named Crow) :)
[*]Semʾeli ʾIkani The Traitor, he usurped the throne of his brother ʾInḵom-Pundřiž ʾIkani and handed it over to the Omniscient Order of magi, which had become corrupted. This act branded him a traitor by the people.[/list]
I'm going to guess that this is one of those names that nobody gives their kids anymore.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 11 Feb 2016 22:42

Keenir wrote:if I may ask, is there a way to distinguish a guy named Zmeri, from the bird flying around my back yard? (or just context? "A zmeri ate everything in my birdfeeder" sans context is either the bird, or some guy named Crow)
You use the neuter gender...
I'm going to guess that this is one of those names that nobody gives their kids anymore.
The combination of names, no. People can still be given the name "Ikani" or choose the name "Sem'eli", but cannot be both.

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 12 Feb 2016 00:06

I have collected some of the possible orthographic representations of Middle Wdínlandish phonemes (the current state can be seen in the clipboard thread). And I've written a bit of my short story "Trial against a God" (Giudizio contro un dio) in Italian (an English translation will follow later, to provide an intelligible version of what I intend to say [;)] ).
The short story is set in my conworld, and is inspired by a few things said in the IRC chat a while ago.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com