A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Davush
greek
greek

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Davush » 15 Nov 2017 10:22

DesEsseintes wrote:
14 Nov 2017 10:26
Today I realised that Proto-Plains *q *qw probably weren’t uvular. They may have been pharyngeal approximants /ʕ ʕʷ/, pharyngeal stops /ʡ ʡʷ/, or pharyngealised velar stops /kˤ kʷˤ/, or even all three depending on speaker/dialect/etc.

In the Híí Proper branch of languages, the pharyngeal nature of the phonemes turned into voicing leading to their eventually evolving into /g b/.

A question though: labialised pharyngeal phonemes seem to be rare albeit easy to produce. Does anyone know of a reason why such sounds might be unlikely?
Yay for pharyngeals. [:D] I have no idea why labialised ones are uncommon though. Will we get to see a comparative overview of the Plains/Híí languages?

Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » 15 Nov 2017 11:44

DesEsseintes wrote:
Today I realised that Proto-Plains *q *qw probably weren’t uvular. They may have been pharyngeal approximants /ʕ ʕʷ/, pharyngeal stops /ʡ ʡʷ/, or pharyngealised velar stops /kˤ kʷˤ/, or even all three depending on speaker/dialect/etc.

In the Híí Proper branch of languages, the pharyngeal nature of the phonemes turned into voicing leading to their eventually evolving into /g b/.

A question though: labialised pharyngeal phonemes seem to be rare albeit easy to produce. Does anyone know of a reason why such sounds might be unlikely?
Yay Híí diachronics! (I think for convenience sake though you're better off continuing with the <q> romanisation).

As for the labialisation issue, I think it's just an accident of the data, just because there's so few languages with pharyngeals (though that doesn't explain why Nuu-Chah-Nulth lost the labialisation of the uvulars when they turned into pharygeals).
Creyeditor wrote:
15 Nov 2017 10:19
[...]
Did you make that tree manually?
If so, this might do you better:
https://lautgesetz.com/latreex/
[/quote]
I actually used http://mshang.ca/syntree/, but I was looking for something like what you gave. Thank you [:)]
[/quote]

These are both so good I'm saving these (though the lautgesetz one is the one I'll probably end up using because LaTeX).

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 15 Nov 2017 14:07

Frislander wrote:
15 Nov 2017 11:44
DesEsseintes wrote:
Today I realised that Proto-Plains *q *qw probably weren’t uvular. They may have been pharyngeal ...
Yay Híí diachronics! (I think for convenience sake though you're better off continuing with the <q> romanisation).
That is indeed my intention, especially as the realisations will be left decidedly vague in order to excuse all kinds of behaviours. :mrgreen:

As for the labialisation issue, I think it's just an accident of the data, just because there's so few languages with pharyngeals
Yeah, that is a likely explanation (but see below)
(though that doesn't explain why Nuu-Chah-Nulth lost the labialisation of the uvulars when they turned into pharygeals).
Ooh, do you have a source on this sound change? Nuuhchahnulth has a full set of plain and labialised uvulars so if uvulars historically shifted to pharyngeals, how were the new uvulars generated? You’ve certainly piqued my curiosity there!

It is indeed the fact that Nuuhchahnulth has labialisation on all velar and uvular segments but lacks them in the pharyngeals that is making me worried about the plausibility of labialised velars and pharyngeals only in an inventory that doesn’t have labialisation elsewhere. (Wow that’s a long sentence...)
Davush wrote:
15 Nov 2017 10:22
Will we get to see a comparative overview of the Plains/Híí languages?
I hope so. I’m thinking of attempting a thread on “Topics in Híí phonology” in the next few weeks, and perhaps I will try (again) to give an account of Híí diachronics.

Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku » 15 Nov 2017 15:44

Creyeditor wrote:
14 Nov 2017 23:26
I did a preliminary family tree for the Northern Languages family in my Conworld. Sorry for not using a spoiler but they don't work for me (yet).

Not related to the topic, but the spoiler tags don't work for me either. If I click them, they won't open.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.

OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » 15 Nov 2017 18:11

Fluffy8x wrote:
15 Nov 2017 02:49
Today.

I'm still looking for divisions of semantic space that aren't between nouns and verbs. Isoraķatheð had one based on time and space, but I don't want to blatantly rip off that system.
That looks really pretty. Is it LaTeX? Or just far too long fiddling with a word processor?
:con: : Current Project

BTW I use Arch

Fluffy8x
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Fluffy8x » 15 Nov 2017 22:37

OTʜᴇB wrote:
15 Nov 2017 18:11
That looks really pretty. Is it LaTeX? Or just far too long fiddling with a word processor?
I used XeLaTeX. These documents are available here.
an siina levian t'isorakateez

thaen
roman
roman

Post by thaen » 16 Nov 2017 02:51

I think I figured out how comparatives/superlatives, questions, topicalization, and "same verb partial negation" work in my currently-unnamed conlang.
:con: Nillahimma
:con: Øð!
:con: Coneylang

I am the Great Rabbit. Fear me, O Crabs!
Spoiler:
ı θ ð ʃ ɲ ŋ ʔ ɛ ə ø ʑ ɕ ʷ ʲ ⁿ

LinguistCat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by LinguistCat » 16 Nov 2017 03:24

I have ideas for making two dialects for my cat youkai, and it makes perfect sense from a cultural/historical pov.

Fluffy8x
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Fluffy8x » 16 Nov 2017 06:33

an siina levian t'isorakateez

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 16 Nov 2017 08:46

So I added another addition to Vrkhazhian weaponry; it's basically a katar fused to a small egg-shaped buckler.
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq » 16 Nov 2017 15:40

Ahzoh wrote:
16 Nov 2017 08:46
So I added another addition to Vrkhazhian weaponry; it's basically a katar fused to a small egg-shaped buckler.
Not gonna lie, I had to look up both terms to see what you were talking about. Really cool!
https://lortho.conlang.org

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 16 Nov 2017 15:56

I sketched some shitty symbol for the medical guild in my fantasy-conworld, Úrageard.
Nothing special.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 16 Nov 2017 18:48

bbbourq wrote:
16 Nov 2017 15:40
Ahzoh wrote:
16 Nov 2017 08:46
Not gonna lie, I had to look up both terms to see what you were talking about. Really cool!
Heh, i had to double-check 'katar' but I was reasonably certain I had it right in my mental image. (I did.)

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 16 Nov 2017 22:53

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
13 Nov 2017 05:36
*makes grabby hands* I wanna see the script!!
I think you misunderstood: I haven't made the script yet, I've merely formulated the principles that I'll use in making it.
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 17 Nov 2017 06:34

qwed117 wrote:
16 Nov 2017 22:53
Thrice Xandvii wrote:
13 Nov 2017 05:36
*makes grabby hands* I wanna see the script!!
I think you misunderstood: I haven't made the script yet, I've merely formulated the principles that I'll use in making it.
I didn't misunderstand... I'm just super anxious to see any conscript. Especially those with an interesting premise. [:)]

kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: the first star to the right and straight on 'till mid-afternoon

Post by kiwikami » 17 Nov 2017 07:03

I translated and wrote one (1) sentence in HyPry's actual, proper ceremonial sun-form writing system. 'Twas for a translation thing here. I rarely bother to write out the script form of anything I translate for those, and as I'm still in the midst of figuring out glyphs it was somewhat of an endeavor. It turned out rather aesthetically pleasing:

Mrärgo dom hëls ma twö rä, to, gub dhajm rë, agr.
The heretics have burned down our hall of worship.

Edit: It's two in the morning and instead of sleeping, I'm dabbling with version 1 of the thread-form script, which is linear:

Have a non-cursive form, perfect for scratching into the walls of mysterious, ancient caves:
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » 17 Nov 2017 09:41

Looks wonderful, kiwikami!

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 17 Nov 2017 12:55

kiwikami wrote:
17 Nov 2017 07:03
[Circular script]
This reminds me of circular Gallifreyan.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » 17 Nov 2017 18:12

kiwikami wrote:
17 Nov 2017 07:03
These are all absolutely beautiful! Coming back after a few months, my neography skills seem to have gone out the window, so I've been really struggling to get anything I like recently. I should have something presentable soon though.
:con: : Current Project

BTW I use Arch

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore » 17 Nov 2017 19:08

@kiwikami: Let me join in the chorus of acclaim! Those are impressive!
Edit: Definitely and specifically including the brickish one!
Last edited by eldin raigmore on 17 Nov 2017 19:28, edited 1 time in total.