Yantas - Birth of a New World

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
sangi39

Re: Yantas - Birth of a New World

Post by sangi39 » 24 Oct 2017 04:23

Just another small update to the world map:

I've added a number islands along divergent plate boundaries or close to them, so they'll most likely be either volcanic or formerly volcanic islands. I'm thinking the majority of them will remain unpopulated by humans or Kovur for much of history with some largely isolated exceptions that might be easier to reach, with the aid of ocean currents, from relatively nearby coastal regions or island groups.

I'm also still working very slowly on finishing the elevation stuff, adding in basins, plateaus, and a rough elevation "key" (mountains about 2000m, 1000m and 500~750m, for example) which I'm hoping to actually finish off tomorrow if I can shake this headache, and using that I can come up with the courses from some major rivers.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 24 Oct 2017 04:39

sangi39 wrote:Just another small update to the world map
No particular comment other than that the map is looking nice!

gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » 24 Oct 2017 10:57

I admire your tenacity. At this rate, you'll be finished with the map in our lifetime which I didn't quite expect. ;)

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 24 Oct 2017 19:12

elemtilas wrote:
sangi39 wrote:Just another small update to the world map
No particular comment other than that the map is looking nice!
Thanks [:D] I just wish I could stick with it more consistently.

gestaltist wrote:I admire your tenacity. At this rate, you'll be finished with the map in our lifetime which I didn't quite expect. ;)
Haha, it would be a surprise [:P] It's taken me a good 4 years to get to this point!
Just one time.

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 24 Oct 2017 21:13

And what I've actually managed to work on today:

Changed the colours up a bit just so they contrast more, but still marking out plateaus, basins, and heights of 500m-1000m, 1000m-2000m and 2000+m, or more accurately, areas where those are the predominant height ranges. So, for example, there ight be areas in the central areas of Arenda that are below 500m, but I'm just not working on that scale yet.
Just one time.

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 28 Oct 2017 20:46

Changed up the colour "key" for the elevation so that it might look a better better, and I've added in a few inland seas and major lakes, as well as changing the coastline a little bit here and there (I've also added in a hint of some islands in some areas of the new coasts):

Just one time.

Ànradh
mayan
mayan

Post by Ànradh » 02 Nov 2017 03:18

sangi39 wrote:I was also a way of looking at how the continents around the poles would actually look given the distortions caused by the equirectangular projection. Velkasta looked a lot different before I started converting the map to a "spherical" projection and it took a fair amount of trail and error to get it to look a way that I was happy with[...]
Speaking from experience, I feel you might be understating here. XD
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 02 Nov 2017 04:22

Ànradh wrote:
sangi39 wrote:I was also a way of looking at how the continents around the poles would actually look given the distortions caused by the equirectangular projection. Velkasta looked a lot different before I started converting the map to a "spherical" projection and it took a fair amount of trail and error to get it to look a way that I was happy with[...]
Speaking from experience, I feel you might be understating here. XD
Only... a lot... [:P] Kind of, mostly just a lot of "no, I need to add more width to it here... maybe a little bit more... okay, now make this bit just a little bit shorter... roughen the cost..."... Just a bit lol
Just one time.

OliveAnne
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by OliveAnne » 23 Nov 2017 16:01

i don't know....for me the coolest one is the first two maps, the third one looks alike to earth. But this is interesting ideas, I'm looking forward to see more of it [:D] [:D]
Words are capable of making experience more vivid, and also of organizing it. They can scare us, and they can comfort us - Jonathan Safran Foer [tick]

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 23 Nov 2017 17:26

OliveAnne wrote:
23 Nov 2017 16:01
i don't know....for me the coolest one is the first two maps, the third one looks alike to earth. But this is interesting ideas, I'm looking forward to see more of it [:D] [:D]
Haha, that's what Ithisa said back in 2013 "Looks suspiciously similar to Earth..." and I still don't see it, lol.

Then again, which are you calling the "third map"?
Just one time.

OliveAnne
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by OliveAnne » 27 Nov 2017 08:38

sangi39 wrote:
23 Nov 2017 17:26
OliveAnne wrote:
Haha, that's what Ithisa said back in 2013 "Looks suspiciously similar to Earth..." and I still don't see it, lol.

The third one you have uploaded, from the 1st page. [:)]
Words are capable of making experience more vivid, and also of organizing it. They can scare us, and they can comfort us - Jonathan Safran Foer [tick]

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 27 Nov 2017 11:45

OliveAnne wrote:
27 Nov 2017 08:38
sangi39 wrote:
23 Nov 2017 17:26
OliveAnne wrote:

The third one you have uploaded, from the 1st page. [:)]

?
Just one time.

Breadstyx
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Breadstyx » 08 Apr 2018 18:03

hey sangi39, just found your forum and was wondering if you had worked on it since november, it's really cool and is super in depth [:D]
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 27 Apr 2018 02:35

Breadstyx wrote:
08 Apr 2018 18:03
hey sangi39, just found your forum and was wondering if you had worked on it since november, it's really cool and is super in depth [:D]
Sorry for the late reply, I was away from home when I saw your post and forgot to get back to you when I got back.

I haven't worked on Yantas much since November, beyond some vague thoughts on a possible calendar to throw into the world. I've been focusing what effort I can at working more on the Kovur, especially their languages, since they're non-human and I've neglected them considerably while concentrating more on the human languages of the world, since a) I knew what sounds humans could make already, and b) hadn't worked out what the Kovur could and couldn't pronounce yet.

I haven't stopped working on Yantas, but this is the most up-to-date map at the moment:

I need to come up with names for the island groups that I've added since the post on island names, and there are a number of additional seas and large lakes as well (in north-western Hungas, south-eastern Sirden and western Mistaya, for example) that will also need naming. And, of course, I still need to work on the altitude map, as well as working more on the description of the Empire of the Kusan, and finalise just how exactly magic interacts with the afterlife. So much still to do [:P]
Just one time.

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore » 27 Apr 2018 16:30

Nice map! IMHO.

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 28 Apr 2018 01:08

eldin raigmore wrote:
27 Apr 2018 16:30
Nice map! IMHO.
Thanks [:)] Still needs a lot of work, but I've more or less reached the limits of what I can do with my abilities when it comes to detail.
Just one time.