The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
User avatar
Dormouse559
moderator
moderator
Posts: 2779
Joined: 10 Nov 2012 20:52
Location: California

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Dormouse559 » 02 Feb 2018 17:34

All hail the Great Rodent Oracle of Umbral News Delineating Hiems' Oncoming Goodbye!

User avatar
Lao Kou
korean
korean
Posts: 5702
Joined: 25 Nov 2012 10:39
Location: 蘇州/苏州

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lao Kou » 03 Feb 2018 20:31

DesEsseintes wrote:
02 Feb 2018 15:16
shimobaatar wrote:
02 Feb 2018 13:31
Six more weeks of winter, or so I've heard.
It cannot end soon enough.
Meh, I can wait. We did the snow thing here in Suzhou a week ago, so I've gotten that out of my system. But as long as the water pipes don't burst (a widespread phenomenon here south of the Yangtse two years ago -- an area not accustomed to subzero in the winter), I'm good to go. The longer it stays wintery, the further away feels summer, and frankly, that week last year in the 40s (Celsius) sucked humongous hairy moose wang.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 11655
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 22:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by shimobaatar » 03 Feb 2018 20:54

For once in my life, I actually can't wait for winter to be over. I'll look back on that statement and weep once it gets to be over 60 degrees, but right now, I'm sick of seeing snow on the forecast at least once per week. We haven't had any that sticks for a little while now, but still. The temperature has gone up to the 40s or even 50 degrees once or twice, but it always drops back down to the 30s by the next day, and that's not even accounting for wind chill. I'm not super sensitive to the cold, but this kind of fluctuation is annoying. Not to mention, when everyone in an already cramped classroom has to find a place to put all their winter gear (coats, hats, gloves, scarves, etc.) on colder days, it somehow makes the classroom feel even more cramped.

Now, of course I know how trivial this all is, but the weather's been more of a pain for me over the past month or so than I can ever remember it being during this time of year. All temperatures mentioned in this post are in Fahrenheit, by the way, as if that weren't made obvious by the fact that I expect it to reach above 60 degrees.

User avatar
Lambuzhao
korean
korean
Posts: 7798
Joined: 13 May 2012 01:57

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lambuzhao » 04 Feb 2018 00:16

shimobaatar wrote:
02 Feb 2018 17:19
Who dares question… him?

Image
I, for one, do not question ineffable Grundsau Gnowhow. And I am unanimous in that.

BTW, clearly Kevin Flynn (Jeff BRidges) gave up his gig as God of the Game Grid, and moved to sunny PENNA to become the Grand Poobah of Punxsutawney.
[:P]

User avatar
Lambuzhao
korean
korean
Posts: 7798
Joined: 13 May 2012 01:57

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lambuzhao » 04 Feb 2018 00:28

shimobaatar wrote:
03 Feb 2018 20:54
For once in my life, I actually can't wait for winter to be over.
I for one cannot wait for winter to actually begin. All the snows we've had (prolly same as urs, Shimo) were mere flurries. Virtually no honest to goodness Floððerment, and nary an ankle-burying algidity so far; as paltry as 2012… almost. But last year, our last surprise snowdump came March 14, so there's plenty of time still.

But make haste, Ye Ice Elves and Frost Giants, and Hoary Laird Elau: work your wintry whoodoo!!!

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 11655
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 22:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by shimobaatar » 04 Feb 2018 01:17

Lambuzhao wrote:
04 Feb 2018 00:28
All the snows we've had (prolly same as urs, Shimo) were mere flurries.
Well, at this time of year, I'm about a 12 hour drive away from where you are, so probably not. We've had a few heavy snowstorms earlier in the season, but mercifully only flurries for the past few weeks.

User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3484
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by elemtilas » 04 Feb 2018 01:25

Lambuzhao wrote:
04 Feb 2018 00:28
shimobaatar wrote:
03 Feb 2018 20:54
For once in my life, I actually can't wait for winter to be over.
I for one cannot wait for winter to actually begin. All the snows we've had (prolly same as urs, Shimo) were mere flurries. Virtually no honest to goodness Floððerment, and nary an ankle-burying algidity so far; as paltry as 2012… almost. But last year, our last surprise snowdump came March 14, so there's plenty of time still.

But make haste, Ye Ice Elves and Frost Giants, and Hoary Laird Elau: work your wintry whoodoo!!!
Neine, keine and thricewise nay! Abrixnay abraxnay hos tos cos! Ixnay nixnay amb the RIme Eotens, Jack Froste 7 the chilly-hearted Ice Elves mostest of all! Let them make haste, hencewards, henceforths and hencewiths back into their homes in the Deep Northlands!!
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

User avatar
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4734
Joined: 31 Mar 2013 12:16

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by DesEsseintes » 04 Feb 2018 02:07

Lao Kou wrote:
03 Feb 2018 20:31
DesEsseintes wrote:
02 Feb 2018 15:16
shimobaatar wrote:
02 Feb 2018 13:31
Six more weeks of winter, or so I've heard.
It cannot end soon enough.
Meh, I can wait. We did the snow thing here in Suzhou a week ago, so I've gotten that out of my system. But as long as the water pipes don't burst (a widespread phenomenon here south of the Yangtse two years ago -- an area not accustomed to subzero in the winter), I'm good to go. The longer it stays wintery, the further away feels summer, and frankly, that week last year in the 40s (Celsius) sucked humongous hairy moose wang.
No, no. You misunderstand the scope of my statement, Brother Kou. It refers to weather. All weather should end. There must be no more weather. Ever.

User avatar
shanoxilt
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 193
Joined: 30 May 2016 05:51

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by shanoxilt » 04 Feb 2018 03:14

DesEsseintes wrote:
04 Feb 2018 02:07
Lao Kou wrote:
03 Feb 2018 20:31
DesEsseintes wrote:
02 Feb 2018 15:16
shimobaatar wrote:
02 Feb 2018 13:31
Six more weeks of winter, or so I've heard.
It cannot end soon enough.
Meh, I can wait. We did the snow thing here in Suzhou a week ago, so I've gotten that out of my system. But as long as the water pipes don't burst (a widespread phenomenon here south of the Yangtse two years ago -- an area not accustomed to subzero in the winter), I'm good to go. The longer it stays wintery, the further away feels summer, and frankly, that week last year in the 40s (Celsius) sucked humongous hairy moose wang.
No, no. You misunderstand the scope of my statement, Brother Kou. It refers to weather. All weather should end. There must be no more weather. Ever.
"I'm the Whether Man, not the Weather Man, for after all it's more important to know whether there will be weather than what the weather will be."
Click here to join the Common Honey server. Or click here for a general glossopoeia server.

User avatar
Lao Kou
korean
korean
Posts: 5702
Joined: 25 Nov 2012 10:39
Location: 蘇州/苏州

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lao Kou » 04 Feb 2018 04:47

elemtilas wrote:
04 Feb 2018 01:25
Lambuzhao wrote:
04 Feb 2018 00:28
But make haste, Ye Ice Elves and Frost Giants, and Hoary Laird Elau: work your wintry whoodoo!!!
Neine, keine and thricewise nay! Abrixnay abraxnay hos tos cos! Ixnay nixnay amb the RIme Eotens, Jack Froste 7 the chilly-hearted Ice Elves mostest of all! Let them make haste, hencewards, henceforths and hencewiths back into their homes in the Deep Northlands!!
They are more than welcome to crash at my pad as they wend their septentrional way home.

Meanwhile, today kicks off 立春, the "Beginning of Spring", the first of the twenty-four solar terms, so yet again begins another cycle. As I mentioned, it has snowed here, so I won't be harping on that anymore this winter, and there is even some snow still on the ground because it's been witch's-tit cold out there. And the full moon has had a nuit américaine effect these past couple of nights. So life is good.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

User avatar
Lambuzhao
korean
korean
Posts: 7798
Joined: 13 May 2012 01:57

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lambuzhao » 04 Feb 2018 04:57

shimobaatar wrote:
04 Feb 2018 01:17
Lambuzhao wrote:
04 Feb 2018 00:28
All the snows we've had (prolly same as urs, Shimo) were mere flurries.
Well, at this time of year, I'm about a 12 hour drive away from where you are, so probably not. We've had a few heavy snowstorms earlier in the season, but mercifully only flurries for the past few weeks.
Snap! Forgot. My bad.
[:$]

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 11655
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 22:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by shimobaatar » 04 Feb 2018 06:38

Lambuzhao wrote:
04 Feb 2018 04:57
Snap! Forgot. My bad.
[:$]
Oh, no worries of course!

User avatar
Dormouse559
moderator
moderator
Posts: 2779
Joined: 10 Nov 2012 20:52
Location: California

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Dormouse559 » 04 Feb 2018 07:53

DesEsseintes wrote:
04 Feb 2018 02:07
Lao Kou wrote:
03 Feb 2018 20:31
DesEsseintes wrote:
02 Feb 2018 15:16
shimobaatar wrote:
02 Feb 2018 13:31
Six more weeks of winter, or so I've heard.
It cannot end soon enough.
Meh, I can wait. We did the snow thing here in Suzhou a week ago, so I've gotten that out of my system. But as long as the water pipes don't burst (a widespread phenomenon here south of the Yangtse two years ago -- an area not accustomed to subzero in the winter), I'm good to go. The longer it stays wintery, the further away feels summer, and frankly, that week last year in the 40s (Celsius) sucked humongous hairy moose wang.
No, no. You misunderstand the scope of my statement, Brother Kou. It refers to weather. All weather should end. There must be no more weather. Ever.
No sooner had the words left DesEsseintes' mouth than the entire Earth's atmosphere drained into space, ending that ancient curse, weather, for good. He breathed a sigh of relief as the vacuum of space sucked the air from his lungs. All was well.

User avatar
Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 3829
Joined: 25 Nov 2012 10:13
Location: Carnassus

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 04 Feb 2018 08:30

@Lambu & Shimo: Wait... where are you two from?

Also, after more than a week of Spring-like weather, the last few days or so have been frigid and today we got a bit of a blizzard going on. And, of course, my stupid car spun out a bit leaving my friends house and hit a curb. The good news is that there is only some minor superficial damage, the bad news is that it pisses me off since well, that sucks.
Image

User avatar
loglorn
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2026
Joined: 17 Mar 2014 03:22

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by loglorn » 04 Feb 2018 13:52

You're all complaining about winter and in the meanwhile i'm just sitting here happy cause we didn't really have any real summer this year. Except maybe a couple weeks in December. So far my January Autumn has been beautifully pleasant.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 11655
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 22:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by shimobaatar » 04 Feb 2018 16:36

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
04 Feb 2018 08:30
@Lambu & Shimo: Wait... where are you two from?
Around Philadelphia.

User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3484
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by elemtilas » 04 Feb 2018 18:07

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
04 Feb 2018 08:30
@Lambu & Shimo: Wait... where are you two from?

Also, after more than a week of Spring-like weather, the last few days or so have been frigid and today we got a bit of a blizzard going on. And, of course, my stupid car spun out a bit leaving my friends house and hit a curb. The good news is that there is only some minor superficial damage, the bad news is that it pisses me off since well, that sucks.
Ice Elves.
Spoiler:
Image
Yeah, I'll make yer feckin car spin out!
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 11655
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 22:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by shimobaatar » 05 Feb 2018 04:58

So, I wouldn't consider myself a football fan, but my home city just won the Super Bowl for the first time, and I'll admit it was pretty cool to watch.

User avatar
Lambuzhao
korean
korean
Posts: 7798
Joined: 13 May 2012 01:57

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lambuzhao » 05 Feb 2018 06:45

We did win once before, but that was during the First Age. We defeated the forces of Tol-In-Gaurhoth from the Emerald Bight. But it was so very long ago, it was almost as if it never happened, except in the memory of the eldest folk who live in the freedom of brotherly love.

But that does not take away the honeyed taste of victory today, o my siblings of gossamer glossopoesy. Nay nay, rather, it makes Nike's sandy pear that much more dulcet. And feast we shall upon its juicy flesh, and we of the winged totem shall this very night abstain from the bitter wine from the Taurange Tree of Defeat! Only ill-betide defenders of the land of the elder fathers shall down that disagreeable draught.

«Whoo-whoo» go the pantookers out in the glittering thoroughfares.
«Caloo-callay» go the hoardes of chittering drunkenfarers.

After long last, the convocation of Gwaihir has brought sweet triumph to our aerie.

https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/201 ... 600&crop=1

Go Iggles! [xP]

User avatar
Lambuzhao
korean
korean
Posts: 7798
Joined: 13 May 2012 01:57

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lambuzhao » 05 Feb 2018 06:50

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
04 Feb 2018 08:30
@Lambu & Shimo: Wait... where are you two from?

Also, after more than a week of Spring-like weather, the last few days or so have been frigid and today we got a bit of a blizzard going on. And, of course, my stupid car spun out a bit leaving my friends house and hit a curb. The good news is that there is only some minor superficial damage, the bad news is that it pisses me off since well, that sucks.
[:(]
Thank goodness you're okay! [whew]

I drive a larger lumbering 'Exploder'. It gets pretty good traction in the floððerment. Still, I keep a bag or two of salt in the back to keep some weight down. Word to the wise, albeit late.

PS: Please send snow & mistletoe!
[:)]

Post Reply