About

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Re: About

Post by Khemehekis » 06 Aug 2016 04:01

Iyionaku wrote: A'braye/cunan tetcarnʻi væn uzad.
[aˈbraʃɛ/ˈkunan tɛ̆ˈtaɾnʔi vœn ˈuzad]
DEF.ANIM-man.PL/girl.PL fast-walk_around-3PL in city
4. The boys/lads were running about town.
Why would you use the word for "girl" to translate boy/lad?

Also: a note on my Kankonian translation of #5. The Kankonians don't have a concept of functioning in society vs. not functioning in society, so I calqued the English phrase to translate this sentence.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 57,500 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!

Imralu
greek
greek

Post by Imralu » 07 Aug 2016 01:12

:con: :png: Wena:

I'm going to simplify some of these because I really don't want to come up with a tonne of new vocabulary right now, but I'll keep the senses of "about".

Zyo nga i ze mwe bi vwe zyi hi la.
head GEN.1s COP NEG.E able.E cease.AG see.AG GEN.DEF.E DEM.E woman
My head cannot stop seeing that woman.
I can't stop thinking about that woman.

Because there's no equivalent of "about" in that sentence, here's this one.

Na i ze mwe bi nge u byo i hi la.
1s COP NEG.E able.E cease.AG communicate.AG ADV topic COP DEM.E woman
I can't stop talking, with the topic being that woman.
I can't stop talking about that woman.

Lo zyelyo zyi mba i mbo wi go gwa gya.
situation make.coloured.AG GEN.DEF.E house COP stay.AG ATTR+COP similar.E pair sun.
Painting the house took about two days.

Na i zi gandye li mo.
1s COP prior.E near.future.E become.AG consume.AG
I was about to start eating.

We gohu i byu o nggwe nezo u lu bumba.
PL.E adolescent.boy COP fast.E ADV lack.AG destination ADV located.E town
The youths were running around in the town.

Nde zyi nyozandi e ze lo vuho zyi ndyova; i ndwa lo hwa ya va zinye ne bo hwa
goal GEN.DEF.E life COP NEG.E situation fit.AG GEN.DEF.E society; COP POS.E situation do.AG GEN everything up.till.now.E PASS.E want.AG do.AG
The purpose of life is not to fit in with society; it is to do the things you've wanted to do.

Na i ndwa zyu we oviza i ngo ye ba vi u gi e va ngo dyebu mye na i ze zande ngu ya.
1s COP POS.E GEN.C PL.E police.officer COP person ATTR extreme.E bad.E ADV mild.E COP everything person Earth but 1s COP NEG.E intend.AG kill.AG GEN
Yes, I do think that police officers are the worst people in the world, but I don't intend to kill one.
Last edited by Imralu on 19 Aug 2016 20:23, edited 1 time in total.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC

Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku » 07 Aug 2016 14:11

Khemehekis wrote:
Iyionaku wrote: A'braye/cunan tetcarnʻi væn uzad.
[aˈbraʃɛ/ˈkunan tɛ̆ˈtaɾnʔi vœn ˈuzad]
DEF.ANIM-man.PL/girl.PL fast-walk_around-3PL in city
Why would you use the word for "girl" to translate boy/lad?
For me as a English non-native speaker, "lads" in this sentence sounded for me like "18 to 30 year old woman". The scope of the sex terms in Yélian varies: you use the word "brogo" only for male persons until around 14 years, after that you call them "broya". However, woman are usually referred to as "cuna" from their moment of puberty until they are married or their menopause. Only then, they are called "áia". Hence this is the most natural translation, however, in descriptive dictionaries, "cuna" is translated as "girl", while "áia" is "woman".
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.

Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku » 07 Aug 2016 15:41

:con: Caelian

Rar väsmäget kë hugnizdyöngnas.
[raɾ væsmæˈgɛt kʰə hʊgˈnɪdʲœŋˌnaʃ]
1SG.NOM girl.DEM.PERL NEG thing.1SG>3SG-stop-can
1. I can't stop thinking about that girl.

Kinnyoses ülerzil, Dyong ilbapit mangi sipümubiz.
[kʰɪnɲɔˈʒɛʃ ʏlɛɾˈsɪl, dʲɔŋ ɪlbaˈpʰɪt maŋˈgi ʒipʰʏmuˈbɪs]
castle.SUB paint.3PL>3SG, DEM.MASC.NOM day.TERM fifty PST-take.3SG>3PL
2. Painting the castle took about fifty days.

Rar pürnyemilzabyur Rabye rohumgipbeil.
[raɾ pʰʏɾˌɲɛmɪlzaˈbʲʊɾ raˈbʲɛ rɔhʊmˈgɪpbɛɪ̯l]
1SG.NOM sandwich.ELA 1SG.GEN FUT-bite.1SG>3SG-want
3. I was about to take a bite of my sandwich.

Boradyek oddalyed zordagep sizüperriw.
[bɔɾaˈdʲɛk odaʎɛd zɔɾdaˈgɛp ʒizʏpʰɛˈriʍ]
man.PL.NOM town.INN surrounding.PERL PST-run.3PL>3SG

This is called a "zordagep construction": When referring to a movement inside something around it, or passing something, the lexicalized noun zordagep is used, the perlative case form of "zordep", surrounding. Together with the innessive (-alye-), it means movement inside something without a clue (while just oddalyed would emphasize movement in-order what I felt didn't fit here). This construction is the Caelian equivalent to the similar-working iu-expressions in the related language Yélian.

5. Life isn't about functioning in society; it's about doing everything you ever wanted to do.

6. I may believe that the police are the most evil people on Earth [or name of your planet], but I'm not about to shoot a cop.
Last edited by Iyionaku on 08 Aug 2016 12:52, edited 1 time in total.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 07 Aug 2016 20:46

Iyionaku wrote:For me as a English non-native speaker, "lads" in this sentence sounded for me like "18 to 30 year old woman".
"Lad" exclusively refers to (young) men. Maybe you were thinking of "lass", the female equivalent.

Imralu
greek
greek

Post by Imralu » 30 Jan 2018 12:45

My attempts in :tan: Swahili:

1. I can't stop thinking about that girl.
Siwezi kuacha kumfikiria msichana huyo.
si-wez(a)-i ku-ach(a) ku-m-fikiri-i(a) msichana huyo
NEG.1S-be.able-NEG.PRES GER(CL15)-cease/leave GER(CL15)-CL1-think-APPL girl(CL1) DEM.MED.CL1

I can't stop thinking about that girl.

2. Painting the castle took about fifty days.
Kupaka rangi ngome kulichukua siku hamsini hivi.
ku-pak(a) rangi ngome ku-li-chuku(a) siku hamsini hivi
GER(15)-apply paint/colour(CL9/10) fortress(CL9/10) CL15-PST-take day(s)(CL9/10) fifty DEM.PROX.CL8

Painting the castle took about fifty days.

3. I was about to take a bite of my sandwich.
Nilikuwa karibu kuuma sandwichi yangu.
ni-li-ku-w(a) karibu ku-um(a) sandwichi y-angu
1S-PST-EXT-be near GER(CL15)-bite sandwich(CL9/10) CL9-GEN.1S

I was about to take a bite of my sandwich.
I was near taking a bite of my sandwich.

Wavulana walikuwa wakikimbia huku na huku mjini.
wavulana wa-li-ku-w(a) wa-ki-kimbi(a) huku na huku mji-ni
boys/young.men(CL2) CL2-PST-EXT-be CL2-SITU-run DEM.PROX.CL17 COM DEM.PROX.CL17 town-LOC(CL16/17/18)

The boys/lads were running about town.
The boys/lads were running around town.
The boys/lads were running here and there in town.

5. Life isn't about functioning in society; it's about doing everything you ever wanted to do.
Maana ya uhai si kufaa kwenye ujamii, bali ni kufanya kila jambo ulilotaka kulifanya.
maana y-a uhai si ku-fa(a) kw-enye ujamii | bali ni ku-fany(a) kila jambo u-li-lo-tak(a) ku-li-fany(a)
meaning(CL9/10) CL9-GEN life(CL14) NEG.COP GER(15)-be.suitable CL17-ORN society(CL14) | but.rather COP GER(CL15)-do every abstract.thing(CL5) 2S-PST-want GER(CL15)-CL5-do

The meaning of life is not fitting into society, but rather doing everything you wanted to do.

6. I may believe that the police are the most evil people on Earth [or name of your planet], but I'm not about to shoot a cop.
Ndiyo, ninaamini kwamba polisi ni watu waovu zaidi duniani, lakini nisingempiga risasi polisi.
ndi-yo | ni-na-amini kwamba polisi ni watu wa-ovu zaidi dunia-ni | lakini ni-si-nge-m-pig(a) risasi polisi
COP-CL9 | 1S-PRES-believe C police(CL9/10) COP people(CL2) CL2-evil more world-LOC(CL16/17/18) | but 1s-NEG-IRR-CL1-hit bullet(CL9/10) police(CL9/10)

Yes, I believe that (the) police are the most evil people on Earth, but I wouldn't shoot a cop.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 21 Jun 2018 07:57

:con: Silvish

1. Jou pow pà m' arrettê de pensê a se ffillya.
[ʑu.pɔˈpa maʁ.ʁɛˈtɛː de.pɛ̃ˈsɛː ʔa.sɛˈfiʎ.ʎə]
1SG.NOM be_able.1SG NEG 1SG stop-INF from think-INF at DEM girl

2. L' a hu u teurni de chencanta jourt par pendre lou cottel.
[ləˈhy ʔyˈtœʁ.ni de.ɕɛ̃ŋ.kɑ̃n.təˈʑuʁt paˈpɛ̃n.dʁə lu.kɔˈtɛl]
3SG have.3SG require-PST_PTCP at round-OBL of fifty day-PL for paint DEF-M.C castle

3. J' ettê apres prandre en-a bouhâ de mê sandwich.
[ʑɛˈtɛː ʔəˈpʁɛs ˈpʁɑ̃n.dʁə ʔẽ.a.buˈhɑː de.mɛː.sɑ̃ˈdwit.tɕə]
1SG.NOM be-IPF.1SG after take-INF INDEF-F bite of 1SG-POSS.OBL sandwich

4. Li-z allyeûti courrêya sê e lê dyent lê vil.
[li.zaˈʎœː.ti kuˈʁɛː.jə ˈsɛː ʔəˈlɛː ˈdjɛ̃nt lɛˈvil]
DEF-PL boy-PL run-IPF.3PL here and there in DEF-OBL city

5. La vî l' e ppà istweya de fonson-ê dyent lê sochetê, l' ett istweya de fyêre toù s' que t' a nnonque vlu fyêre.
[ləˈviː lɛˈpa ʔiˈstwe.jə de.fɔ̃n.sŋ̩ˈɛː ˈdjɛ̃nt lɛː.so.ɕəˈtɛː | lɛt.tiˈstwe.jə dəˈfjɛː.ʁə ˈtu ske.tɑ̃ˈnɔ̃ŋ.kə ˈvly ˈfjɛː.ʁə]
DEF-F life 3SG be.3SG NEG story of function-INF in DEF-OBL society | 3SG be.3SG story of do-INF everything PRO REL.ACC 2SG have

Life isn't about functioning in society; it's about doing everything you ever wanted to do.

6. S' que jou crêvou qu' li ppolichê ew sont la pplû cruvella pparson-a seû Ter, jou swi pà pres/pretta a accowdre seû en-i polichê.
[ske.ʑuˈkʁɛː.vu klip.po.liˈɕɛː ʔɛw.sɔ̃n.tlaˈplyː kʁy.vɛl.lap.paˈsõ.ə ˈsœː ˈtɛʁ | ʑu.swiˈpa ˈpʁɛs ˈpʁɛt.tə ʔa.aˈkɔw.dʁə ˈsœː ʔẽ.i.po.liˈɕɛː]
if SBRD 1SG.NOM believe.SBJV-1SG SBRD DEF-PL police_officer 3-PL be.3PL DEF-F-PL most evil-F-PL person on earth 1SG.NOM be.1SG NEG ready-M/ready-F to shoot on INDEF-OBL police_officer

I may believe that the police are the most evil people on Earth, but I'm not about to shoot a cop.

Alessio
sinic
sinic

Post by Alessio » 21 Jun 2018 12:57

NB: the translation of "about", when applicable, is marked by an italic style.

:ita: Italiano
1. Non riesco a smettere di pensare a quella ragazza.
2. Ci abbiamo messo circa cinquanta giorni a dipingere le pareti del castello.
3. Stavo per dare un morso al mio panino. (be about to = stare per)
4. I ragazzi correvano (in giro) per la città.
5. La vita non è semplicemente funzionare all'interno di una società; è fare tutto quel che hai sempre voluto fare. (here there is no about at all)
6. Posso anche credere che i poliziotti siano le persone peggiori del mondo, ma non ho intenzione di sparare a uno di loro. (here, be about to = avere intenzione di)

:ita: Emilian - Dialàt Vgnulěṡ (specific variety of an Italian local language)
1. A-n gh'la chêv brîṡa a d'smàter ed pinsêr a cla ragazêla.
2. A gh'avàm màs pió o měno zinquanta dè par piturêr al castêl.
3. A-j-ěra lè lè par murṡghêr al mě panein. (be about to = ěser lè lè par)
4. I ragâz i ěr'n a drě a córer par la zitê.
5. La véta l'an n'è brîṡa sol funzionêr indna socetê; l'è fêr tót quàl ca t'ê seimper vlû fêr. (once more, here there is no about at all)
6. A pôs anc cràder che i poliziôt i sìen i cristian pió melnàt dal mànd, mo an gh'ò nisûna intenzioun ed mazêren un. (here, be about to = avěreg intenzioun ed)
Last edited by Alessio on 22 Jun 2018 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
:ita: :eng: [:D] | :fra: :esp: [:)] | :rus: :nld: [:|] | :deu: :fin: :ell: [:(] | :con: Hecathver, Hajás

Tin't inameint ca tót a sàm stê żǒv'n e un po' cajoun, mo s't'armâgn cajoun an vǒl ménga dîr t'armâgn anc żǒven...

Reyzadren
sinic
sinic

Post by Reyzadren » 21 Jun 2018 13:20

:con: griuskant (without the conscript)

1. aesk kansh ryga spaezha daig zhae stevae.
/'esk 'kanʃ 'rYga 'speʒa daig 'ʒe 'stəve/
1SG cannot stop-V think-V about that girl

2. hilgskautanor zhosta voezh 50 gau.
/'hilgskautanɔr 'ʒɔsta vɯʒ 'huitʃkər 'gau/
castle.paint-V-PASS-NP use-V around 5.10 day

3. aesk shaeiz duiga kloups.
/'esk 'ʃeizˤ 'duiga 'klɔups/
1SG almost bite-V bread-PL

4. stevo cura zhol kaeir.
/'stəvɔ 'tʃura ʒɔl 'keir/
boy run-V through town

5. zhuic shaz vazh ersyavhiraeia, ut az ara ostae skuya araae uvas.
/'ʒuitʃ ʃazˤ vaʒ 'ərsjavhireia, ut az 'ara 'ɔste 'skuja 'arae 'uvas/
live denial attribution creature-PL.just.follow-V, but is do-V 2SG-POSS want-V do-V-POSS everything

6. aesk kon daerca zhaed tirse az ist ijbraumi er vuzh yalroek ut aesk kinsh staija tirse.
/'esk 'kɔn 'dertʃa ʒed 'tirsə azˤ 'ist 'idʒbraumi 'ər vuʒ 'jalrɯk ut 'esk 'kinʃ 'staidʒa 'tirsə/
1SG might believe-V COMP police-N is most advanced.cruel-A creature at world but 1SG willnot shoot-V police-N
Last edited by Reyzadren on 23 Oct 2018 23:02, edited 1 time in total.
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » 24 Jun 2018 14:50

Image Géarthnuns

1. Fí la va ípwapsat helkepat ba tlöth ba balaf kalokh.
1SG-NOM.NEG AUX.PRES DEF.NEG girl-ACC.NEG that-ACC.NEG PTCL think.about PTCL stop be.able

2. Chü síürksüt chí fsurols lé sek dalthsef palavmnöthef ilkeu haubekh.
DEF castle-ACC DEF painting-NOM AUX.PAST INDEF.PL day-INSTRU.PL fifty-INSTR.PL approximately-AdADJ take

3. Sí lé chí horauníelsít sítelít sau çégírsaun nzhí í glozh.
1SG-NOM AUX.PAST DEF sandwich-ACC my-ACC INDEF mouthful-INSTR "going.to"-ADV just-AdADV eat

4. Chauk çabursaup lé chí dharhalsíb bö vömnünzdanez.*
DEF.PL youth-NOM.PL AUX.PAST DEF city.wall-POST in stroll
Spoiler:
I may be reading too much into this, but boys/lads/youths running about town does not suggest to me the actual act of running, rather "gallivanting" or "gadding" about. vömnü- in Géarthnuns is about the action not (necessarily) with a goal or destination in mind. If actual running were involved, one might have used vömnüshöz, but that implies "going for a run" (say, to clear your head or just get the hell out of the house -- and does a pack of lads behave this way?) At present, I don't think Géarthnuns has anything that connotes "moving about in search of sth. which may divert or entertain", so I went with "stroll, wander"; more neutral might have been vömnükadiz, "go about". Anyway, this sentence doesn't read to me like "The kindergarteners were running about the playground." or "The puppies were running about the kennel." might. Perhaps I've overthought this. Just translate at the literal level and shut up (I did a little of this above in sentence 1.).
5. Va mnusaps la, höi vö eshutekhsös vau hésrefalömsaut veçö; de san la, höi híaufansat, chanat seth löv bzéngöi mníéí ba dravnath üraf sho, chau dravnathalörsaut gzunpízh.
DEF.NEG life-NOM.NEG AUX.PRES, PTCL DEF society-GEN.NEG DEF.NEG be.part.of-PRES.PTPL-ACC.NEG thus; but 3SG-NOM AUX.PRES, PTCL everything-ACC, REL-ACC 3SG-NOM AUX.PRESPRF.IMPERS ever-ADV all-ADV PTCL do want PTCL, DEF do-PRES.PTCL-ACC be.a.matter.of
Life isn't about functioning in society; it's about doing everything you ever wanted to do.

6. Sí la, gü chek sebölíbauthsep la chauk íalörsaup rhastüvöraup íe cha zaríansab íe haunöi sho, hauhövaz sho, arkfö fí la fe sebölíbaugset téjü ba oivaböndrikh ktausef.
1SG-NOM AUX.PRES, CONJ DEF.PL police.person-NOM.PL AUX.PRES DEF.PL person-NOM.PL evil-NOM.PL most-AdADJ DEF earth-POST most-ADV be-SPEC PTCL, think-SPEC PTCL, but 1SG-NOM.NEG AUX.PRES INDEF.NEG police.person-ACC.NEG not.the.the least.ADV PTCL shoot be.willing
I may believe that the police are the most evil people on Earth, but I'm not about to shoot a cop.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名