(EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by elemtilas » 29 Aug 2018 05:30

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
29 Aug 2018 05:16
Wow, you certainly have given this a lot of thought [O.O]

Having been born in 2000, I still consider myself "Gen Z" over "Millennial" (a perception of being born in 1999+ is perhaps regarding "Millennials" as being in their 20s and 30s now and thus not qualifying as one at 18), but the group you describe (whatever the name) seems valid.
He could probably write a book, with all that kind of data!

I don't consider myself any generation anything. When it comes that era's music or politics or books or television programmes or whatever, my usual thought to myself is "I have no idea what they're talking about!" It's like they all come from a different planet or something.

gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » 29 Aug 2018 10:19

I don't know why people find these generational categorizations so important. I always felt they were overgeneralizations.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 29 Aug 2018 12:34

gestaltist wrote:
29 Aug 2018 10:19
I don't know why people find these generational categorizations so important. I always felt they were overgeneralizations.
Ah, a fellow non-generational!

Obviously I don't find them important, and they're certainly matters of self or group identification, but I do find the whole concept of generationing to be confusingly interesting to observe.

Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus » 29 Aug 2018 15:16

Wow. People so hip they don't even acknowledge the existence of time...

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 29 Aug 2018 16:31

Salmoneus wrote:
29 Aug 2018 15:16
You got that right mister!
[<3] [<3] [<3] [<3]

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 29 Aug 2018 17:22

Not liking or agreeing with the way generations are defined is the same as not acknowledging the existence of time?

gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » 29 Aug 2018 20:01

Salmoneus wrote:
Really, Salmoneus? A straw-man argument coming from you? I'm disappointed.

Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus » 29 Aug 2018 22:51

shimobaatar wrote:
29 Aug 2018 17:22
Not liking or agreeing with the way generations are defined is the same as not acknowledging the existence of time?
Disagreeing with the details of the way generations are defined is one thing - this thread is full of it. But claiming not to belong to a generation, or denying the existence of generations, is nonsensical.

gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » 29 Aug 2018 23:17

Salmoneus wrote:
29 Aug 2018 22:51
shimobaatar wrote:
Disagreeing with the details of the way generations are defined is one thing - this thread is full of it. But claiming not to belong to a generation, or denying the existence of generations, is nonsensical.
Is it really, though? Generations, as they are defined/used in this thread are artificial constructs, shoehorning people to one category or another. Nobody in their right mind would deny that living in a specific place at a specific time will shape you to a large extent. But you can be skeptical about the usefulness of arbitrary categorizations like "generation X". First of all, time is a continuum, and slicing it up into neat portions doesn't always work so nice - as evidenced by the variety of categorizations present in this discussion. Second of all, the idea of generations understates the other formative aspects like where you live and in what environment. Once you start comparing people from various countries, it's much harder to find an overarching common theme for a "generation".

Which is why I said I don't understand why people find these categorizations so important. I never said generations didn't exist - although I guess you were taking a jab at elemtilas.

Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » 29 Aug 2018 23:43

Salmoneus wrote:
Must be them hipsters! Classify them as Millennials at once!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 60,137 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!

Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren » 29 Aug 2018 23:58

tbh I don't believe in these categorations by generations as I somehow have relatively few traits that match up accordingly.

I find that I have more similarities with people who actually have the same "life exposure", if anything.
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 30 Aug 2018 01:34

gestaltist wrote:
29 Aug 2018 23:17
Salmoneus wrote:
29 Aug 2018 22:51
shimobaatar wrote:
Is it really, though? Generations, as they are defined/used in this thread are artificial constructs, shoehorning people to one category or another.
Exactly. That was one person's (considered!) opinion on the matter. Others may look at the same situations and arrive at different "generations". Some people may fit those categories and be happy with them. Others don't share those traits. The people that don't share the traits of a named construct, obviously, don't belong to that construct. Look at it this way: can we say with authority that people born 18 years aog in the deepest jungles of Brasil are "Millenials"? I don't think so.
Nobody in their right mind would deny that living in a specific place at a specific time will shape you to a large extent.
True that, but at the same time that which has shaped two specific persons in a roughly the same geographical time and place may be radically different. Hence my position on the matter of utility.

Out of all this discussion, I think Reyzadren has put the finger closest to truth.
I never said generations didn't exist - although I guess you were taking a jab at elemtilas.
Now now! My dear friend Salmoneos would never stoop so low! Too much of a gentleman for that! [<3] [<3]

Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem » 30 Aug 2018 15:34

elemtilas wrote:
30 Aug 2018 01:34
the deepest jungles of Brasil
It's worth noting that the original formulation of generational theory was explicitly to describe American generations.
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian

this_is_an_account
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by this_is_an_account » 04 Sep 2018 21:56

How does one make one of those code things with the green monospace font?

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 04 Sep 2018 22:15

this_is_an_account wrote:
04 Sep 2018 21:56
The way to do it is type something up in Notepad using a monospace font (like Courier New). Then copy the text from Notepad into the "code" brackets (press the button to the right of the "quote" button in the text editor).

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 04 Sep 2018 22:59

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
04 Sep 2018 22:15
The way to do it is type something up in Notepad using a monospace font (like Courier New). Then copy the text from Notepad into the "code" brackets (press the button to the right of the "quote" button in the text editor).
This, pretty much. Just one thing: Notepad isn't a necessity; you can use the text editor of your choice, as long as you've got a monospace font.

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 04 Sep 2018 23:14

Yeah, I guess I never tried it with a different editor. I will say that I've never gotten it to work on Mac, no matter what editor I use. Only seems to work with Windows for me.

this_is_an_account
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by this_is_an_account » 05 Sep 2018 02:13

Dormouse559 wrote:
04 Sep 2018 22:59
KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
04 Sep 2018 22:15
This, pretty much. Just one thing: Notepad isn't a necessity; you can use the text editor of your choice, as long as you've got a monospace font.

Code: Select all

Testing
With
W o r d

Testing
With
Just
T y p i n g
Looks like just typing it in here works fine
Edit: Wait nvm I misunderstood you

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 05 Sep 2018 15:51

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
04 Sep 2018 23:14
Yeah, I guess I never tried it with a different editor. I will say that I've never gotten it to work on Mac, no matter what editor I use. Only seems to work with Windows for me.
Hmm, I've written all my code tables in Mac Pages, and they've always worked fine for me.

05 Sep 2018 02:13
Looks like just typing it in here works fine
Edit: Wait nvm I misunderstood you
Ah, yeah. I should have said "word processor", not "text editor".

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 05 Sep 2018 18:00

Dormouse559 wrote:
05 Sep 2018 15:51
Hmm, I've written all my code tables in Mac Pages, and they've always worked fine for me.
Really? Well I just tried again. Here's Pages:

CASE		SINGULAR		DUAL			PLURAL
NOM		léhēn			léhenē		léhenes
GEN		lhnés			lhnéyaus		lhnān
And with Notepad on Windows:

CASE	SINGULAR	DUAL		PLURAL
NOM	léhen		léhenē		léhenes
GEN	lhnés		lhnéyaus	lhnān
Both using Courier New Size 12. Never works quite right on the Mac for me [:(] It's a 2017 13" MacBook Pro. Not sure if that makes a difference.